It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holy Days in August

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Starting tonight I will watch with a close eye to events in the Middle East.
(to observe see bottom of this post)

First off 9th of AV

Tisha B’Av is considered the most Light-deprived day of the year! Some of humanity's greatest tragedies have taken place on this day: the destruction of both Temples, the signing of the "Final Solution", the Expulsion from Spain. It was the day that an Al El jet crashed, on and on.

The Kabbalistic belief behind 9th of Av is that there is a metaphysical balance: out of darkness we find light. This is also the day on which the Maschiach (Messiah) will be born. In Kabbalah we learn that where you find the greatest negativity, you can also find the greatest positive light through spiritual change.

(th of Av is August 3rd it starts August 2nd eve/ August 2nd is
The '9th of Av' will be '14 Rajab 1427' to Muslims.

Rajab is the seventh month in the Islamic lunar calendar. This month was regarded as one of the sacred months (Al-Ashhur-al-hurum) in which battles were prohibited in the days of the Holy Prophet . It is also a prelude to the month of Ramadan, because Ramadan follows it after the intervening month of Sha'ban. Therefore, when the Holy Prophet sighted the moon of Rajab, he used to pray to Allah in the following words:
"O Allah, make the months of Rajab and Sha'ban blessed for us, and let us reach the month of Ramadan (i.e. prolong our life up to Ramadan, so that we may benefit from its merits and blessings)."

Ok if you would be

Observances
[edit]
Restrictions
As on Yom Kippur, Tisha B'Av is observed as a full day fast that lasts 25 hours (sometimes longer, depending on where one is located), beginning with sunset and ending with nightfall the subsequent day. There are six main prohibitions:

Not wearing leather shoes.
Abstaining from all food and drink (unless this would be life-threatening)
Abstaining from washing or bathing of any kind. Some authorities state that washing solely for the sake of hygiene is acceptable.
Abstaining from applying creams or oils. Skin creams and makeup are included in this prohibition.
Abstaining from sexual relations, hugging, kissing and all other forms of physical affection.
Abstaining from studying Torah, though reading Lamentations, Job, some sections of Jeremiah and sections of the Talmud that deal with the laws of mourning is allowed.[2]
Also, if possible, not working until after chatzot.

Although the fast ends at nightfall, eating meat and drinking wine are prohibited until noon of the following day. According to tradition, the Temple burned all night and most of the day of the tenth of Av.[3]

During services in synagogue, and when returning home, from nightfall until mid-day, one is required to sit on the floor or on low chairs, as during shiv'ah (the week of mourning observed after the death of a first-degree relative). Some even have the custom of sleeping on the floor or other modification to the normal sleeping routine. People must refrain from greeting each other or sending gifts on this day. Old prayerbooks and Torahs are often buried on this day.

The laws of Tisha B'Av are recorded in the Shulkhan Arukh (the "Code of Jewish Law") Orach Chayim 552-557.

[edit]
Services
The scroll of Eichah (Lamentations) is read in synagogue during the evening services. In addition, most of the morning is spent reading kinoth ("dirges"), most bewailing the loss of the Temples and the subsequent persecutions, but many others referring to post-exile disasters. These later kinnoth were composed by various poets (often prominent Rabbis) who had either suffered in the events mentioned or relate received reports. Important kinnoth were composed by Elazar ha-Kalir and Rabbi Judah ha-Levi. After the Holocaust, kinnoth were composed by the German-born Rabbi Shimon Schwab (in 1959, at the request of Rabbi Joseph Breuer) and by Rabbi Solomon Halberstam, leader of the Bobov Hasidim (in 1984).

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
In light study of dates I have seen an occurence of either good or bad happenings on a giving date through the years. We must ask what takes place to cause this? Many people have great beleif in various actiosn and alignments of the planets in the heavens. I forget the last date I studied, I thini it was the birth of George W Bush (July 6) which came up with a string of dates related to various rulers.
Anyway to show you some more on 9th of AV here is a list off of Wiki;

The five calamities
According to the Mishnah (Taanit, 4:6), five specific events occurred on the ninth of Av that warrant fasting:

On this day, the Twelve spies sent by Moses to observe the land of Canaan. 2 of the spies brought a positive report, but 10 of the spies brought an "evil report" about the land that caused the Children of Israel to cry, panic and despair of ever entering the "Promised land" for which they were punished by G-d that they would not enter and that for all generations the day would become one of crying and misfortune for the descendants of the Children of Israel, the Jewish people. (Numbers ch 13-14)
Solomon's Temple (the First Temple) and the Kingdom of Judah were destroyed by the Babylonians led by Nebuchadnezzar in 586 BCE and the Judeans were sent into the Babylonian exile.
The Second Temple was destroyed by the Roman Empire in 70 CE scattering the people of Judea and commencing a two thousand year Jewish exile.
The Bar Kokhba's revolt against Rome failed, Bar Kokhba was killed, as was Rabbi Akiva and many other important sages of the Mishnah, and Betar was destroyed.
Following the Siege of Jerusalem, the subsequent razing of Jerusalem one year later.

Later calamities on 9 Av
A large number of calamities are alleged to have occurred on the ninth of Av:

The declaration of the Crusades by Pope Urban II in 1095
The burning of the Talmud in 1242
In 1290, the signature of the edict by King Edward I expelling the Jews from England
The Alhambra decree was put into effect, leading to the Jewish expulsion from Spain in 1492
The First World War started in 1914
The first killings at Treblinka took place in 1942
The AMIA Bombing (Asociación Mutua Israelita Argentina) by Arab terrorists on July 18, 1994 in Buenos Aires, Argentina, which killed 86 and wounded more than 120.
The final day before the Disengagement from Gaza and parts of Samaria in 2005, an event which many Israelis and Jews have equated to the exiles that resulted from the Destruction to the First and Second Temples on Tisha B'Av

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
so uhhh, where did you copy n paste that from?

Just out of curiosity

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by masonite

Anyway to show you some more on 9th of AV here is a list off of Wiki;

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Wiki? could just paste the link, and maybe put some quote tags around the stuff ya pasted

OR could just click one of the buttons when posting a msg to do it easier, the earth icon is for hyperlinks, just enter info into boxes

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Great info!! Im gald someone posted about the 9th of Av. I actually thought about posting it myself becuase I thought it kind of strange no one mentioned it.
I am watching the news closely these days and only pray that nothing worse happens.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Yeah I think many people that are not Jewish don't know about it unless its associated with bible code or the destruction of the temple. I think its one area that should at least be know by all as a very sad time in history and all the sadness that has happened on that day.

How or why things happen on that day I guess can have many reasons but as mentioned above as lunar actions affect the sea I imagine they can affect us as well. I guess one way to attempt a halt to negative things from happening is understanding and relaization.

Originally posted by kokoro
Great info!! Im gald someone posted about the 9th of Av. I actually thought about posting it myself becuase I thought it kind of strange no one mentioned it.
I am watching the news closely these days and only pray that nothing worse happens.

new topics

top topics

join