Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

The "Final Answer To Everything" Game, Questions & Answers Thread

page: 3
0
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 8th
All I have to say is that was amazing. I cant wait to play along with the next one. I remember the first day of posting... I went to bed at 15 pages, woke up... and I believe it was past 100 hahaha. Truly awesome.

Thanks for the fun



-8th

Yeah i know how that feels

I think that I only got about 13 hours of sleep over the first 3 days due to this!
But in the end it was all woth it.


[edit on 27-7-2006 by The_Result_was]




posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
I still don't know how you get to the first post on ats.


"1" was the clue. 1 = single. Every post has the ability to be "singled" out. Notice the word 'single' at the top of each post. Click on that and you can put '1' in place of the number at the end where it says "post=" in this case "post=1".



posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cutwolf
And killer is in bold? Are the clues starting already?
Only kidding...I think.


Perhaps the next prize is a sniper rifle.


Anyways, I was wondering if there was any significance in the copyright thing at the bottom of the website which said 1952. Also, was metaphysician or who he got the website Springer or SkepticOverlord, or was he really just a random person who stumbled upon the site. The last thing I was wondering was... on theblog, it said
"I received more than one e-mail advising people to try the following:
q_whatisthetraffictarget"
Were the emails coming from an ATS staff member to give us a hint, or did somebody else figure it out?



posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Here are some stats to amaze everyone.

The domain was publicly discussed for less than a week... however... in that time...

There were more than 400,000 page views.
There were 14,368 unique visitors
216 distinct domains referred traffic
26,615 different responses were attempted
Users from 87 different countries played the game
44% of you were using Firefox
About 2% were playing via a mobile connection
Only 8% were on dial-up connections or slower



posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
44% using Firefox? Does that count the same person multiple times (if they deleted their cookies or something)?

If thats an accurate representation, that is a HUGE leap for Firefox. The most recent guesstimates was that Firefox only held a 10% market share.

[edit on 27-7-2006 by Cutwolf]



posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
They may only have 10% of the overall market share but the people playing this game represent the more "astute" users of the internet, people who do a little MORE than check the weather and the headlines. I bet in that demographic the percentage of Firefox users skyrockets!

Springer...


[edit on 7-27-2006 by Springer]



posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
They may only have 10% of the overall market share but the people playing this game represent the more "astute" users of the internet, people who do a little MORE than check the weather and the headlines. I bet in that demographic the percentage of Firefox users skyrockets!

Springer...


[edit on 7-27-2006 by Springer]



You're like me Springer. I can't make a post without editing it at some point. I'll likely find something wrong with this post and edit it, too.



posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Here are some stats to amaze everyone.

The domain was publicly discussed for less than a week... however... in that time...

There were more than 400,000 page views.
There were 14,368 unique visitors
216 distinct domains referred traffic
26,615 different responses were attempted
Users from 87 different countries played the game
44% of you were using Firefox
About 2% were playing via a mobile connection
Only 8% were on dial-up connections or slower


What did you use to find those stats? Something like Alexa?



posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Simply put...I had a freaking blast! I have been on this site for quite a while, but my exp. with ATS is changed forever. Last night was the tops. Cutwolf is right we had a very interesting moral problem and our team did the right thing. In our haste, finding the answer, we plowed straight ahead without considering the honorable path. We were reminded of our ATS honor buy HUNT. Did any of my team members grip and complain, no. The funny part is each of us went and posted the answer on our own! LOL. That moment really solidified what ATS means, in my heart.
You see ATS is bigger than just a message board. We are all about: “Shining a light in the darkness!” For some it is UFO, or government wrongs, NWO, Black Projects or heck all of the above and then some; whatever your darkness this place exist to help you, and others like you, bring into the light. I saw that with my fellow gamers and I am proud to have been associated with them. How many other groups of players would have made a Wiki with the answers and the current clue and then freely gave the answers away. Have a good deal of experience in gaming and message boards I can tell you without hesitation, Not damn many!

To my 3 team mate, yeah I consider you fools to be my team mates, ya made me proud. The next game I say we ride out together once more. BTW I like the name Knights of Cydonia. It is the title of the newest Muse album, an album made for ATS. Good song check it out.

To SO, S, & SG:
I know ya’ll are proud of us, but from all of us to you: THANK YOU!
The level of skill and down right coolness, you see out of the ATS member is a direct reflection of ya’ll. We are ATS and you provided a place for us. You called and we answered. This place kicks “A”!


All right enough love fest! Down to the question:

Who is the Heinlein fan? I had never read Stranger in a Strange Land before last night. Well I went to sleep and went to work but finished it about 2 hours ago. Thanks for the reference!


Once again thank you to everyone who played this game, all of ya rock! And I hope to beat ya’ll next time! LOL



posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Bravo. Amazing. Spectacular. Inspiring. Humbling.

I'm not an actively posting member lately, but I felt the need to break my quiet-spell for two reasons.

-ONE- In these past three days, I visited ATS more than I have in the past three years just to watch you people play this game. Here we saw dozens of people, obviously of a wide variety of nationalities, ages, and education all busting their humps together to discover what was waiting at the end. I've been online for a long time, and nothing, nothing compares to what I saw. You people, all of you, should feel proud of the legacy of hope you have recorded in more than 5,500 posts.

-TWO- The answer. Humbling. I'm surprised no one has asked how the answer was created. Here we were all waiting for the "42" punch line, and instead we were sucker-punched with something relevant, deep, and meaningful. I know I should have anticipated something of such high quality from you guys, but I didn't and now I feel guilty for it. How on earth did you come up with that answer? Talk about a legacy of hope.

Thank you. This was a historic experience.



posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimm
Bravo. Amazing. Spectacular. Inspiring. Humbling.

I'm not an actively posting member lately, but I felt the need to break my quiet-spell for two reasons.

-ONE- In these past three days, I visited ATS more than I have in the past three years just to watch you people play this game. Here we saw dozens of people, obviously of a wide variety of nationalities, ages, and education all busting their humps together to discover what was waiting at the end. I've been online for a long time, and nothing, nothing compares to what I saw. You people, all of you, should feel proud of the legacy of hope you have recorded in more than 5,500 posts.

-TWO- The answer. Humbling. I'm surprised no one has asked how the answer was created. Here we were all waiting for the "42" punch line, and instead we were sucker-punched with something relevant, deep, and meaningful. I know I should have anticipated something of such high quality from you guys, but I didn't and now I feel guilty for it. How on earth did you come up with that answer? Talk about a legacy of hope.

Thank you. This was a historic experience.



Well said, well said. I've been here for 3 years and I haven't been as active as I'd like to be. This game yanked me and yanked me hard.

Bad phrasing, eh?



posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
That game was amazing, it left me wanting more


I was wondering if someone could tell me the script to store the cookie when they got an answer right, as I was hoping to make a similar game for my school, any other information that could help me would be greatly appreciated



posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I only have one burning question?

Who was metaphysician??

Besides just being a messenger, that brought us this game....

edit = nevermnid the last bit (text removed)

[edit on 7/27/2006 by Mechanic 32]



posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimm
Bravo. Amazing. Spectacular. Inspiring. Humbling.

I'm not an actively posting member lately, but I felt the need to break my quiet-spell for two reasons.

-ONE- In these past three days, I visited ATS more than I have in the past three years just to watch you people play this game. Here we saw dozens of people, obviously of a wide variety of nationalities, ages, and education all busting their humps together to discover what was waiting at the end. I've been online for a long time, and nothing, nothing compares to what I saw. You people, all of you, should feel proud of the legacy of hope you have recorded in more than 5,500 posts.

-TWO- The answer. Humbling. I'm surprised no one has asked how the answer was created. Here we were all waiting for the "42" punch line, and instead we were sucker-punched with something relevant, deep, and meaningful. I know I should have anticipated something of such high quality from you guys, but I didn't and now I feel guilty for it. How on earth did you come up with that answer? Talk about a legacy of hope.

Thank you. This was a historic experience.


Great posts by Imperium and yourself.

You know a legacy is something that will outlive all of us. We can only hope that what the three amigos started will continue on for a long time. But the more relevant answer, being that of LISTENING, is timeless in nature. For what else could help our world come together more than if we take time to really understand what we are all about and why we are here. Surely this planet is a terrific waste of space if we can't even get along. I would second the above only by ACTION. For when we hear of our struggles, our problems, our hopes and dreams, we must act on them in order to futher the goals of mankind; that we may all learn to love each other and live in peace.



posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I've GOT to know what was going on with the fake SIMON! He came in really early in the game, and had the name simon gray registered at hacker network for some time. He claims still to be involved with ATS in some way and that ATS asked him to help lead us astray.

Even if he wasn't involved, does the staff know who he is???

I know the official statement during the game, but that was during the game. lol

NOID!



posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sillinous1
I've GOT to know what was going on with the fake SIMON! He came in really early in the game, and had the name simon gray registered at hacker network for some time. He claims still to be involved with ATS in some way and that ATS asked him to help lead us astray.

Even if he wasn't involved, does the staff know who he is???

I know the official statement during the game, but that was during the game. lol

NOID!


We have no idea who he/she/it is... One of the "costs" of having a site like ATS is there is much attention upon it all the time. Because of that we seem to be in many people's "sights"... We have had much worse situations than someone impersonating Simon. It's unfortunate but we simply consider a "cost of doing business".


Springer...



posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I saw the real simon's post over at that hacker forum. it was rather comical.

All the researching of dead ends did broaden my mind and fill the empty spaces with even more unwanted knowledge. I am slowly becoming Cliff Claven.



posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Freenrgy2,
I know that you said you multiplied 240 * 4/3. But how did you get 4/3 out of "2/3 of 1/2 of 1/4"? Can you write it in long form?

[edit on 27-7-2006 by Tuning Spork]

[edit on 27-7-2006 by Tuning Spork]



posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
The question about there being more 'q_.html' pages was never answered. I recall the blog saying we didn't find them all. However I remember HUNT saying the blog wasn't created by ATS. ...It wasn't created by ATS right..?


[edit on 27-7-2006 by sillinous1]



posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Springer,
Same question to you...









 
0
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join