It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel "Ignored" UN Troops Pleas To Stop Firing So Close To Them

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Israel ignored 10 phone calls over a six hour period to stop the artillery and air strikes so very close to their position. Each time they were assured by the IDF that the firing would stop.

UN peacekeepers in south Lebanon contacted Israeli troops 10 times before an Israeli bomb killed four of them, an initial UN report says.

The post was hit by a precision-guided missile after six hours of shelling nearby, diplomats familiar with the initial probe into the deaths say.

The news came as crisis talks in Rome failed to call for an immediate ceasefire between Hezbollah and Israel.

BBC News: Israel troops 'ignored' UN plea

They stopped alright, just after they'd hit their targets.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Israel ignored 10 phone calls over a six hour period to stop the artillery and air strikes so very close to their position. Each time they were assured by the IDF that the firing would stop.

UN peacekeepers in south Lebanon contacted Israeli troops 10 times before an Israeli bomb killed four of them, an initial UN report says.

The post was hit by a precision-guided missile after six hours of shelling nearby, diplomats familiar with the initial probe into the deaths say.

The news came as crisis talks in Rome failed to call for an immediate ceasefire between Hezbollah and Israel.

BBC News: Israel troops 'ignored' UN plea

They stopped alright, just after they'd hit their targets.

As more information has been coming out, the REAL TRUTH of the matter is coming out.

It seems that the UN set up right next to Hezbollah terrorists who were firing rockets into Israel.

One thing-the UN NEVER tried to stop the Hezbollah from firing.

Two, knowing how things work-terrorists fire rockets into Israel, Israel fire's back with artillery and bombs at the missile launching point-so staying next to Hezbollah is asking for death or an attempt by the UN to protect terrorists.

So we can say it was criminal for the UN to just watch the terrorists firing their missiles into Israel-and you wonder why Israel doesn't trust the UN to do ANYTHING-PFF

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I don't think the UN just "set up" right next to Hezbollah positions. This was a permanant building, not a freakin tent they ercted overnight.

Israel is a terrorist state and their continued murders will get them no sympathy.

Murder is murder, there's just no way of dressing it up as anything else, whoever the perp may be.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
I don't think the UN just "set up" right next to Hezbollah positions. This was a permanant building, not a freakin tent they ercted overnight.

Israel is a terrorist state and their continued murders will get them no sympathy.

Murder is murder, there's just no way of dressing it up as anything else, whoever the perp may be.

Even if what you say is true-it was a perment building-again-what do you think will happen when terrorists fire rockets from next to them-D"UH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a shame that the terrorists caused those un deaths-that right. Had the terrorists not fired near the un, Israel would not have fire back near the un.

And for those who think that no return fire should be done-are you telling me that U will allow terrorists to fire rockets near the un and ex[ect that no return fire will come because they are hiding next to the UN_WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   
And just how close were those rocket firing terrorists to the UN building?

Please post a link indicating that they wre right next to the UN observation post as I have seen nothing indicating this close proximity.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Please post a link indicating that they wre right next to the UN observation post as I have seen nothing indicating this close proximity.

Agreed. I would like to see this as well. You know what disappoints me? If the UN were to get involved, the same people would scream that the UN is sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. So I can't see the UN winning in either situation with some.

I would also like to add, these UN buildings? Were the UN Soldiers camped out there? I can't honestly believe anyone would expect a bunch of beaurocrats that file paperwork all day to just run over to the "hezbollah next door" and disarm them. What do they use as an intro? "May I borrow a cup of olive oil?"

I also still cannot see why people are taking sides. I see no side worthy of taking, still. I see governments killing people.

Awfully strange though... 50% of Hezbollah "wiped off the map" last week, and for some reason, the fighting is still at 100%.

Why is it that some people can't just admit that Israel is capable of doing some things wrong just as hezbollah is doing some things wrong? Some people on this site are so married to a side that I think it is beginning to fog judgements.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Britguy has it right. Murder is murder. War crimes are war crimes. An "eye for an eye" seems appropriate but cliche and dated and uncivilized as it's origins... payback (sanctioned and otherwise) is a likelihood. Lotsa shame to go around on all sides... many folks are re-evaluating positions - doesn't look promising for a way forward that doesn't involve a bunch of dead innocents.

Thanx,

Victor k.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Now that we've gotten the blatant propaganda attacks (by the usual suspects
) out of the way...

It should be interesting to see how the actual facts unfold.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Why didn't the UN unass that location? Just keeping an eye on Hez for the sake of peace?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by hogtie
Why didn't the UN unass that location? Just keeping an eye on Hez for the sake of peace?

Before jumping to conclusions (which some did) let's try to find the facts. Was there a force in the UN building to stop them? How close was this building to Hezbollah? Was the UN folk making popcorn and getting ready "to watch the show"?

I can see the thread already, "Stupid UN tried to stop Hezbollah Rockets by throwing staplers and paperweights". Some people are just not going to be happy with anything if it compromises they're opinions in any way, I suppose.

[edit on 7/26/06 by niteboy82]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   

The post was hit by a precision-guided missile after six hours of shelling, diplomats familiar with the probe say

Source : news.bbc.co.uk...

Sounds to me like the local commander got fed up with them asking and decided to shut them up permanently.

Shelling isn't the same as using a guided missile, is it?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz

That's the typical Israeli way of defining ''accident''.

Originally posted by mrmonsoon

As more information has been coming out, the REAL TRUTH of the matter is coming out.

It seems that the UN set up right next to Hezbollah terrorists who were firing rockets into Israel.

One thing-the UN NEVER tried to stop the Hezbollah from firing.

So we can say it was criminal for the UN to just watch the terrorists firing their missiles into Israel-and you wonder why Israel doesn't trust the UN to do ANYTHING-PFF

First of all, I'd like to ask you kindly to stop using such many smiles, we're not in primary school now.

Second, the UN outpost was just 50 meters away from the Israeli border for years, big and white and UN signs everywhere. It doesn't make sense an Apache helicopter just shot accidentally nor does it make sense three rockets had been shot accidentally.

Third, obviously you don't really understand the UN task in South Lebanon: to o-b-s-e-r-v-a-t-e. Not to intervene.

(a) The UNOGIL military observers would conduct regular and frequent patrols of all accessible roads from dawn to dusk, primarily in border districts and the areas adjacent to the zones held by the opposition forces.

(b) A system of permanent observation posts was to be established and manned by military observers. There were initially 10 such stations. The observers at these stations attempted to check all reported infiltration in their areas and to observe any suspicious development.

(c) An emergency reserve of military observers was to be stationed at headquarters and main observation posts for the purpose of making inquiries at short notice or investigating alleged instances of smuggling.

(d) An evaluation team was to be set up at headquarters to analyse, evaluate and coordinate all information received from observers and other sources.

(e) Aerial reconnaissance was to be conducted by light aeroplanes and helicopters, the former being equipped for aerial photography.

(f) The Lebanese Government would provide the Observation Group with all available information about suspected infiltration. The Group would also request the military observers to make specific inquiries into alleged activities as occasion required.

Two, knowing how things work-terrorists fire rockets into Israel, Israel fire's back with artillery and bombs at the missile launching point-so staying next to Hezbollah is asking for death or an attempt by the UN to protect terrorists.

Israel shot artillery shells prior to purposely destroying the UN base. Do you actually know how precisely artillery can shoot? The UN observers contacted the IDF several times, Israel knew exactly the coordinates of the observation post [for years].

[edit on 26-7-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82

Before jumping to conclusions (which some did) let's try to find the facts. Was there a force in the UN building to stop them? How close was this building to Hezbollah? Was the UN folk making popcorn and getting ready "to watch the show"?

I can see the thread already, "Stupid UN tried to stop Hezbollah Rockets by throwing staplers and paperweights". Some people are just not going to be happy with anything if it compromises they're opinions in any way, I suppose.

[edit on 7/26/06 by niteboy82]

All the more reason for them to clear the area. If they have nothing to contribute, then they need to move north. The problem is that UNFIL appears to have been somewhat complicit with Hez.

The UN already has a monitoring force on the Lebanese-Israeli border known as Unifil, set up in March 1978 to oversee an Israeli withdrawal from southern Lebanon that took place 22 years later.

Led by a French general, it is made up of 2,000 soldiers from China, France, Ghana, India, Ireland, Italy and Poland, but is largely powerless militarily. Its mandate, renewed every six months, next expires on July 31.

Mark Regev, an Israeli Foreign Ministry, said the UN record on the border had undermined Israeli confidence in the ability of a UN force to maintain the peace.

"The Security Council calls for the disarming of Hezbollah, but at the same time Unifil has a cooperative relationship with Hezbollah," Regev said.

"Unfortunately, we have witnessed over the last years a dissonance between UN policies as decided in New York and between what UN representatives in Lebanon are doing on the ground," he said. "If the international community had shown greater determination, the current crisis in Lebanon could have been avoided."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.iht.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Even if what you say is true-it was a perment building-again-what do you think will happen when terrorists fire rockets from next to them-D"UH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a shame that the terrorists caused those un deaths-that right. Had the terrorists not fired near the un, Israel would not have fire back near the un.

And for those who think that no return fire should be done-are you telling me that U will allow terrorists to fire rockets near the un and ex[ect that no return fire will come because they are hiding next to the UN_WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It blows my mind this logic. Also i think it clearly shows the propaganda machine in play. Israel bombs a u.n. building, yet it the "terroists" fault.
Where is the proof, or even claims that the u.n. building was close to a hezbollah outpost? Even if it was, the IDF should be more careful in its current situation and send it ground troops to take out a outpsot near a u.n. location. Also for you to claim hezbollah are terroists but then condone the bombing of lebanon shows again your double logic. Lebanon is a sovergin nation, not a terroist state, hence the IDF decalred war on a terroist faction, not a nation so why are they blowing up a whole nation? Why north lebanon?

I advise you to wake up.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by wang

It blows my mind this logic. Also i think it clearly shows the propaganda machine in play. Israel bombs a u.n. building, yet it the "terroists" fault.
Where is the proof, or even claims that the u.n. building was close to a hezbollah outpost? Even if it was, the IDF should be more careful in its current situation and send it ground troops to take out a outpsot near a u.n. location. Also for you to claim hezbollah are terroists but then condone the bombing of lebanon shows again your double logic. Lebanon is a sovergin nation, not a terroist state, hence the IDF decalred war on a terroist faction, not a nation so why are they blowing up a whole nation? Why north lebanon?

I advise you to wake up.

The civilians have fled. That pretty much leaves two groups in the area, the UN and Hez. Now make an imaginary line and put Israel to the south, and on the other side of the line put Hez and the UN on the north side. I think that pretty much sums up the situation, unless the UN has snuck peacekeepers into Israel to help make sure suicide bombers don't board busses.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   

The civilians have fled. That pretty much leaves two groups in the area, the UN and Hez.

Ok, I'd like to see your links on this. That's quite a bit of silliness. I guess now I better call someone I talk to in Beirut and tell him that he isn't really there, he just thinks he is because all civilians have fled? I should let him know that his family, his neighbors, and his friends are not there either, he just thinks they are?

I want to see some links to back that up, if you don't mind, because that is just baseless to me.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   

The civilians have fled. That pretty much leaves two groups in the area, the UN and Hez. Now make an imaginary line and put Israel to the south, and on the other side of the line put Hez and the UN on the north side. I think that pretty much sums up the situation, unless the UN has snuck peacekeepers into Israel to help make sure suicide bombers don't board busses.

Well if i remember originaly the IDF were attacking north lebanon to destroy infastructure to prevent the transportation of the kidnapped soldiers, but the soldiers have been forgotten and infastructure is not the only thing that has been bombed in the north. Hezbollah was stationed in southern lebanon, to say that their is a imaginary line between the two countries with the u.n. and hezbollah to the north and israel to the south shows your simplification of the situation. Ti the north of your imaginary line their are lebanese civilans aswell as hezbollah and the u.n. In southern lebanon most of the civilian population has fled or gone undergorund, but that doesnt mean that all civilians are 'safe', many will still die by the day aslong as this war continues.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
OK, I'm sorry. That was hyperbole. My point is that civilians are moving out of the way if they can, and if the UN has nothing to contribute, it only makes sense that they do the same thing instead of taking fire.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by wang
Hezbollah was stationed in southern lebanon, to say that their is a imaginary line between the two countries with the u.n. and hezbollah to the north and israel to the south shows your simplification of the situation.

Perhaps it is a simplification, but it still shows that the UN is on one side and not the other? Why is that? Is it because of inherent instability in Lebanon to which Israel is responding to, or is it something else?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Please post a link indicating that they were right next to the UN observation post as I have seen nothing indicating this close proximity.

This isn't in response to this particular case but Hezbollah has been doing this as a tactic as well as setting up in christian neighborhoods in southern Lebanese cities to get them damaged by Israeli counterattacks.

Intense bouts of rocket fire, crashing missiles and shelling rendered the roads in Lebanon's borderlands impassable, a spokesman for the U.N. peacekeeping forces in Lebanon's south said.
Hezbollah guerrillas were setting up rocket launchers near U.N. positions, spokesman Milos Strugar said.
www.latimes.com... lebanon20jul20,0,4733925,full.story

Why is it so hard for you to believe that a battle hardened terror group like Hezbollah will not stoop to using every possible situation to it's benefit. They intentionally set up near civilian/ UN locations knowing that
A. It will make Israel think twice or at least aim really good at them.
B. If civilians/UN get killed in an Israeli strike on a Hezbollah position near civilians, guess who will get blamed?

Where's the blame for Hezbollah being cowardly and setting up where innocents most likely will get injured and killed because Hezbollah set up base next door to them?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join