It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evangelical Christians "excited" about the End of the World??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Everytime i hear this i cringe. I've heard this ^ comment from CNN at least 7 times now.
What is wrong with evangelical christians? Why would they want the "end" to come? Do they think they would be "saved" or do they just simply want to die.

I have a suggestion for them. They should all commit mass suicide and be done with it- and leave the rest of us to hope for a peaceful world.

Any EVANGELICALS out there care to explain this? I would love to know why you want the world to end. I suppose they all stopped having kids long ago too, right?

Can someone explain?

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   
they do not seem to understand that the book of revelation, descibes a transition from one age into another, like a new beginning. it does not show how the world will end, they have just brought into the propaganda that goes along with the book of revelation and other prophecies in the bible.

the human race like the earth goes through cycles.

also the evangelical groups are into money making, so they have to wrongly project certain things they want, to be more dramatic.

[edit on 22-7-2006 by andy1033]

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
the so called 'end of the world' will apparently bring back Christ to sort out the mess, and that is why they are excited.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
they do not seem to understand that the book of revelation, descibes a transition from one age into another, like a new beginning. it does not show how the world will end...

[edit on 22-7-2006 by andy1033]

No, somebody else doesn't understand, because I don't know any evangelical christians (me being one of them there and pretty much living right in the square middle of the bible belt) that interpret the Revelation to speak of the "end of the world". Every evangelical christian I personally know interprets it the same - as an end of an age.

Further to that, I think there's a lot of intentional twisting of evangelical christian's feelings toward signs of the end times. It's one thing to be anxious concerning the witnessing of prophecy fulfilled, it's a hateful twist to take that and call it excitement toward what those prophetic implications are to mankind.

For the most part, I take accusations like this to be par for the course - they tend to come from people who dislike the evangelicals in the first place and like to jump on the bandwagon of representing the group as a bunch of wild-eyed, moronic freaks.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Everytime i hear this i cringe. I've heard this ^ comment from CNN at least 7 times now.
What is wrong with evangelical christians? Why would they want the "end" to come? Do they think they would be "saved" or do they just simply want to die.

I have a suggestion for them. They should all commit mass suicide and be done with it- and leave the rest of us to hope for a peaceful world.

Any EVANGELICALS out there care to explain this? I would love to know why you want the world to end. I suppose they all stopped having kids long ago too, right?

Can someone explain?

Why would you cringe about the Rapture?? I know i look forward to it. this topic is yet again, about ppl who dont' know the whole truth and jsut base it on what they saw on tv. I know me personally, i do not believe that we are in the "end times" as some call it. of course everyday we get closer obviously, but things still havent' gotten as bad as they are going to. and right before it all goes really bad, look up for those who believe, redemption is near!! i myself look forward to the Rapture. but i guess if you dont' believe or know you're not going ot heaven, it will REALLY suck to be you. as literally all HELL will break loose just after the Rapture.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snazuolu

Can someone explain?

Why would you cringe about the Rapture?? I know i look forward to it. this topic is yet again, about ppl who dont' know the whole truth and jsut base it on what they saw on tv. I know me personally, i do not believe that we are in the "end times" as some call it. of course everyday we get closer obviously, but things still havent' gotten as bad as they are going to. and right before it all goes really bad, look up for those who believe, redemption is near!! i myself look forward to the Rapture. but i guess if you dont' believe or know you're not going ot heaven, it will REALLY suck to be you. as literally all HELL will break loose just after the Rapture.

But again, tell me ONE thing... What would you ever SAY if rapture have NEVER ever.. happen... for like... 50 years from now? You might would become one of laughingstock by these whom doens't beleive in these such of things from bible who was written by ancient men with no knowledge of science like we do now... I dont want to insult you, but you speak this out in deep emotion and I am certain that alot of us doesnt' appericate the way you say about us like this "It SUCK to be you who will never go heaven and suffer the hell that would break loose on earth" nonsense...

Dragon out...

[edit on 22-7-2006 by Chaoic_Black_Dragon]

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   

MANY Christians do not really read the Bible. We believe in Jesus, his Crucifixian, Resurection and that He is coming back for us ( Christians ) at another time. Since many of us do not read our Holy Book, we are at the mercy of those who claim to know what is in it There are Charlatans and dedicated people who have agendas.
As I reached my late 30's or early 40's I decided to read the Bible from cover to cover. With daily prayer for understanding, I spent a little over a year doing this, trying several translations. I found things I had never heard before. I found other things that went together that I had never seen connected before. Some of the things I learned as a child were wrong. I discovered that almost everything in the Bible is there at least twice, like a cross-reference.
Do I look forward to his Second Coming? Yes and No. It would be nice to do without all the evil and illness in the world, BUT, for me, Life is good as it is. In a couple weeks, August 5, I will be celebrating my 34th Wedding Anniversary. I married a good woman and truly believe we made it this far with Divine Help.
And yes, at 54 years of age, I stopped having kids about three decades ago

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
If Jesus were to return to the Earth these days, the powers that be would have him locked up.

If he possessed supernatural powers, the military would probably try to control
those abilities in the interest of "national security" aka control of the masses.

I feel a pathetic sadness for all the good people who have been mislead by organized religion.

Their desperate need to understand the unknown has been exploited to every extent imaginable.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
hey dg!

well its not just evangelical christians that look forward to this. all christians (me being one of them) do as well. but again, as someone already pointed out, its an end of an age. as far as the rapture thing goes, no christians believed in such a think until the 19th century when a man practicing dispensationalism decided to write up a theory about it and then in the late 1800's a scottish girl had a vision about it and this man took it as verification for his study. the man i am speaking of is John Nelson Darby and he gave rise to premillennialism and dispensationalism in the United States at the end of the 19th century. The doctrine of the rapture was further popularized by an evangelist named William Eugene Blackstone, who wrote the book "Jesus is Coming" and then by its inclusion in the Scofield Reference Bible
made it spread even more. the simple fact that we can pinpoint a man that came up with the idea and a date when it spread indicates that it was an invention, a theory that early christians until this point did not believe in. you wont find any early christian writers in the 1st century all the way through up until this point, write or focus the christian faith on the doctrine known as the rapture. so there is my 2 cents on that.

but aside from that....

i know what you mean dg, the pat robertsons and jimmy bakers etc...all speak of doom and gloom and the gays need to die etc...and while they may be popular in evanglical and pentecostal circles ( i mean they have millions of dollars and they are getting it from somewhere) that doesnt mean that all christians agree or speak with these people. but i certainly understand your frustration...because i share it.

Cheerio!
Digitalgrl

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

If Jesus were to return to the Earth these days, the powers that be would have him locked up.

If he possessed supernatural powers, the military would probably try to control
those abilities in the interest of "national security" aka control of the masses.

I feel a pathetic sadness for all the good people who have been mislead by organized religion.

Their desperate need to understand the unknown has been exploited to every extent imaginable.

I'm sorry but how has it been exploited?

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
How many people have suffered and died in the name of God.

Who has benefitted from the power of organized religion.

Religion has always been used as a very effective means to manipulate the masses by those
who seek power and wealth.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Firstly, I would like to ....

"of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only" (Mt 24:36).
a warning to us to be vigilant at all times.
"Watch, therefore," he says, "for you know neither the day nor the hour" (Mt 25:13).
For the Son of Man will come on the clouds in great glory, with all of his angels, to judge the living and the dead (see Mt 24, Lk 22 and Rev 1-3).

Although I'm not Evangelical, I do believe that there are many 'all sorts' of evangelicals..... in the sense of the word....many, claiming to know more then what Scripture has confessed to....and speaking not only of Evangelical Christians, but of all Christian Denominations(?)
'Evangelical' meaning......Gospel..

Christians from the Apostles time expected the world to come to an end because Jesus Christ said that He was coming soon.....and being in the presence of Jesus Christ, all the Apostles wanted, was to be with Him Forever, which is not a bad thing, considering they loved Him, and so wanted only to be with Him, only too soon.
When one waits for the end to come, one believes that all sadness or bad in the world will simply just , go away(imo), but doing what is required of one as a true Christian, is another thing.
The Apostles were to continue His ministry .....Appointed by Jesus Christ Himself to continue what He taught....
Jesus Christ will say to those that 'So thought', they could continue to understand or read into Revelation and the meaning of.......

"Many will say to Me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils?
and in Thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity" (Matt. 7:22-23).

Why would He say such a thing?
Jesus Christ understood that people would make themselves worthy on their own thinking and not what was in Scripture and in His teachings that He left .......''when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?" (Lk. 18:8).
According to Saint Paul, this will be the time
"when people will not endure sound doctrine,
but according to their own desires they will choose teachers who will tell them just what they want to hear.
They will turn their ears away from the truth and go after fables" (2 Tim. 4:3-4
St Paul .....

St. Paul continues his warning about the coming of antichrist with this command:
"Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle" (2 Thess. 2:15).
"There be some that trouble you, and would pervert the Gospel of Christ.
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be anathema.
As we said before, so say I now again: If any preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be anathema" (Gal. 1:8-9).

"Tradition" means "that which is handed over.".......The New Testament carefully distinguishes between "traditions of men" and "Holy Tradition,".......St. Paul says, "...for I received from the Lord that which I also traditioned to you..." also read........,
I Corinthians 11:2, and II Thessalonians 2:15; 3;6.
On Apostolic Tradition see also....
St. Paul says in the Epistle to the Hebrews that the earthly tabernacle of the Old Testament was patterned after the tabernacle in heaven [See: Hebrews 9.23,24].
Also......

"And He (God) gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ" (Ephesians 4:11-12)

Although we do know that the End will come, we do not have the right to assume that we are amongst that group that are only saved.
We ALL shall have an END....whether we believe it or not...no one shall escape death.
We must understand that we cannot sit and judge everyone on their faults and what have you, and think that we are worthy to escape the END of times....for all shall be judged and all shall get their just rewards.
There shall be a spritual deception toward the end of times.....and it will,

"deceive, if it were possible, even the very elect" (Matt. 24:24).

The world today does not look 'perfect' , but who are we to say When the End will come?
I have actually spoken to a few Christians,(not recently)and they do believe that we are living at the end of times, which is perfectly normal to feel that we are.
We are given SIGNS to look out for in the beginnings of the END....but it is one thing to know and another to Wish it....
quote/"Little Children,
it is the Last Hour" (1 John 2:18)
Which HOUR that is is not for us to know.
Our times are different to the times of Scripture, and to assume that we do know, we are only fooling ourselves....that goes for any Christians or whoever it may be that speak with assertiveness and authority on the matter of the End Of The World Issues!
And on that End note...Quote/"faith without works is dead" (James 2:20).
So no amount of faith without Labour will help anyone to Godliness.
Quote/"Judge not, that ye be not judged" (Matthew 7:1)
And I have been guilty of those last two quotes .......But as we fall, we must keep on getting up, for we dont know when our last hour shall be...
"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us" (1 John 1:8).

FallenFromThe Tree/

Religion has always been used as a very effective means to manipulate the masses by those

You cannot just say this because many have also said this and it's beginning to sound like a song played over and over again.
People have a choice to either do good or bad....
An Organization is not bad.
We have Schools.
We have Courts.
We have Supermarkets.
We have Transportations ,etc,etc,etc......all requiring a Organized system,which mostly works for many people.
So to be fair, and accuse a Church or whatever organization you mean, is not really fair and just does not go down too well.
Whether it be organized or not, if people wish to harm or be in power or simply because of money or whatever, then it will be done according to their OWN doing, and not Gods.

Sorry all for going off subject a bit..
take care
helen

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I guess Paula Zann is having a special? Or already had it??? I never get into religion, because i do respect other people's. BUT- Between last night and this morning, on CNN, i must have heard......"Why Evangelical Christians are so happy this latest war may herald the end of the World"........stay tuned.... I must have at least heard it 12 times. SO- this got me fired up a bit..... I'm a Catholic and i want to live. That's all.

By the way, this thread was in no way meant as a slam by me to evangelicals. I just wanted to know why look forward to the grimreaper? And why was CNN talking so as-a-matter-of-factly about it?

[edit on 22-7-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
This will not be the end of the world, but the end of the age. The world will continue. I'm an Evangelical, and it would take me years to explain it, but here are some chapters and a chart that might help. (Oh, the dates on the chart are just an example of the timeline, not the actual dates.) No man knows when Christ will return, not even the angels. But, according to the bible, we believe that there will be a 7 year tribulation period, and then Jesus Christ will return.

kjv.biblebrowser.com...

www.htmlbible.com...

www.biblegateway.com...

www.whatsaiththescripture.com...

Please read these chapters and of course the book of Revelation.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

people have suffered and died in the name of politics and sin.

who has benefited from the power of religion? (as opposed to unorganised religion, always makes me laugh that) Billions of people around the world. Just maybe.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Can someone explain?

Wish I could oblige, but actually you all, unbelievers, will be the ones taken, not the Christians. We'll be left to run the world. Someone ought to tell you and the Christians who think the Rapture is a reality that 1) it isn't and 2) it's the other way round. And by the way where the unbelievers will be taken will not be a "peaceful world", sorry to say.

I can't answer any longer for the ones who believe in the rapture because I now know, just as I suspected all along, that it is not gonna happen.

Like the Israelites in Egypt though, we will be protected.

For anyone interested there's more explanation of what I'm saying at:

blog.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
LISTEN, JACK,

"All of us unbeleivers"???? I think you better take a powder, seriously. You have done the rounds today insulting people with your rants, and it aint gonna work with me. You keep "misinterpreting" me ON PURPOSE. That's not cool, you know?

Go back to the beginning, i was refering to something i heard on TV- I have no opinion of who stays and who goes.
That's enough crap for one day.

Try a civilized conversation and READ before you make accusations. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   

"All of us unbeleivers"???? I think you better take a powder, seriously. You have done the rounds today insulting people with your rants, and it aint gonna work with me. You keep "misinterpreting" me ON PURPOSE. That's not cool, you know?

Go back to the beginning, i was refering to something i heard on TV- I have no opinion of who stays and who goes.
That's enough crap for one day

You want a rant with me? Here's what you said:

originally posted by dgtempeEverytime i hear this i cringe. I've heard this ^ comment from CNN at least 7 times now.

You saying that is what you heard on CNN? That Evangelicals should commit suicide? That's what you expect me to believe?

You posted this below after I posted my reply, AND edited it so no way of knowing what it said at first:

By the way, this thread was in no way meant as a slam by me to evangelicals. I just wanted to know why look forward to the grimreaper? And why was CNN talking so as-a-matter-of-factly about it?

Instead of dumping your waste so freely, you might want to consider that your use of quote marks leaves a LOT to be desired if it really WAS a quote on the first post. I still don't believe CNN said anything remotely like what you originally posted.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
WHEN SOMEBODY SAYS THE END OF THE WORLD I REALLY BELIEVE THAT THEY DONT REALLY NO WAT THAT MEANS THEY THINK GOD IS GOING TO COME AND EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE PERFECT BUT U NEVER NO UNTIL IT HAPPENS EVERYBODY IS TALKING ABOUT OHH IM GOING TO HEAVEN AND ALL THAT BUT DO U REALLY NO DO U REALLY EVEN NO THAT THERE IS A GOD U JUST GOTTA THINK BOUT THAT KINDA STUFF

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
IMO there are 2 basic factions of Christians hoping the End of the World will soon come to pass:

1.) Those who play by the rules in life, do good by others and actually have hope for the future and would like to see the world undergo a transformation in which justice is applied equally, an ultimate End to war and suffering of all types

2.) Those who wish to live to see MORE suffering and chaos on a supernatural level, specifically directed at groups they find undesirable (i.e. homosexuals and Muslims). With warmongering bloodlust and a collective hatred of humanity and progress, they may actually have the power to bring about an End to civilization as we know it.

Fortunately, the latter folks are in the minority, although they tend to breed alot.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join