It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evangelical Christians "excited" about the End of the World??

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Well DG you certainly stirred the pot on this one for I too am a christian who thinks that the world is close to the end, look at this scripture here starting in Luke 21:10

" Then he said to them, " nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom.

"and there will be great earthquakes in various places, and famines and pestilences; and there will be fearful sights and great signs from heaven.

"but before all these things, they will lay their hands on you and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons you will be brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake.

" but it will turn out for you as an occasion for testimony. "therefore settle in your hearts not to meditate before-hand what you will answer " for i will give you a mouth and wisdom which all your adversaries will not be able to contradict or resist.

"You will be betrayed even by parents and brothers, relatives and freinds and they will put some of you to death. " And you will be hated by all for my name's sake. " but not a hair of your head will be lost. " By your patience possess your souls.

" But when you see jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that it's desolation is near. " Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those who are in the midst of her depart, and let not those who are in the country enter her.

" For these are the days of vengance, that all things that are written may be fullfilled.

" But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! For there will be great distress in the land and wrath upon the people. " And they will fall by the edge of the sword, and be led away captive into all nations. And jerusalem will be trampled by Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fullfilled.

"And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon , and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and waves roaring; " men's heart's failing them from fear and the expectation of those thing's which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken.

"Then they will see the son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. " Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near." NKJV>>>>>>>

Yes destruction is coming and christians have been looking for the end for quite some time because of scriptures like these which tell us to look for these things to happen but not out of joy for destruction's sake out of joy that jesus returns to earth. I know that this post raises more questions than answers but that is why people need to look to god for those answers, and the time is coming that i know well see some earth changing events take place but if you'll lift up your head, well you know the rest........

[edit on 23-7-2006 by the_sentinal]

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Sheesh and the majority of these people have the nerve to laugh at Muslims when they talk about getting their 72virgins in heavan. LOL People coming down on clouds and being part of an elite few who will transcend into heaven.

I can imagine how this new war in lebanon will later be written by religious scholars in 2000 years. "And the Lord set out into the clouds his angels (F-16's) who unleashed the wrath of G-d unto the hordes of those who were attempting to wipe out the very lives of the Israelites, fireballs and thunder wracked their cities and then the lord spoke in booming voices (Mortars, Tanks and Missiles)all over the enemies land smiting the children of all his peoples enemies"

When you see stuff like this happening in modern times it makes you wonder about all these biblical passages and what really happened. More then likely I wouldn't be surprised if during the times of Egypt when the israelites were being held as slaves, that the housekeepers in each house, who were more then likely Israelites,formed some sort of organization that plotted ,executed and poisoned the first born children they were charged to take care of in order cause fear and to gain their freedom.

I don't believe in any of this magic fairy tale stuff. There is a human explanation behind each and everything that was described.

If it were possible for a person to travel back in time, especially one who was intelligent and wiley, he could probably change things enough that he could have had people believing that cucumbers were holy objects and skunk pee was something we should drink in order to appease the gods.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to go back and see events like the parting of the red sea during the Exodus only to find that they had actually crossed another sea such as the Sea of Reeds which was more of a swamp then a sea.

The sooner we get religion out of Government and Politics the sooner we will see less war and conflict in the world. Religion should stay in the home, in the churches, in the sunday schools, mosques, and temples. It has no place in Local Politics or Foreign policies. These people looking forward to Armegeddon should be considered just as dangerous as any muslim looking to form the Caliphate or whatever else they believe will come about from prophecy.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I agree , it so far out there it's pathetic, so far i've seen threads here that "show" that Javier Solana is the Antichrist...

It seems the extremist christians and evangelists (even the ones in power) are just waiting on god's word to start the wacky fire and brimstone "revelations" ending of the world. It's like they have had their fingers on the button looking up saying " Tell me when lord ! Let me be your servant" (Qoute from Bill Hicks)

I do hope that if the world doens't end (and i'm pretty confident about that here) some of them will see the errors of their ways. Letting a fictional book do your thinking for you is the most retarded thing to do imho.

And if jezus is comming back, i bet he'll have an uzi this time, i mean christians wear crosses around thier necks,...do you really think jezus would ever want to see a cross again ?

Edit: Spelling

[edit on 24-7-2006 by XyZeR]

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 01:44 AM
link   
curiosity-

just so you know dgtempe didnt edit his post to counter what you said afterwards because i saw it before you posted your reply. and also CNN did say that...did you ever watch the abrams report...if not thats probably why you havent heard it. i for one, did hear him talk about it. and pat robertson was also on there about 4 weeks about addressing the very topic for a whole hour. Dgtempe isnt making it up.

Hope that helps,
kind regards,
Digitalgrl

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Possibly part of the excitement is finally being able to say to everyone "Hey! Look guys......God.......see, we wern't making it all up!". And, these very people seem to be looking forward to watching everyone else burn in the fires of hell.

Correct me please if i'm wrong, but doesn't everyone who has ever lived come back to life at the "rapture", even going back to neolithic times. Millions upon millions of individuals who worshipped so called "false Gods" throughout history, condemned to an eternity of sufferring? How can anyone look forward to that? No matter which side you're on.

Anyway, if there is a God, and if he does decide to make his existence an undisputed fact, he'd probably forgive everyone. "Oh? So you worship another God? Far out..... I'm not going to hold it against you! Just please remember......don't KILL ANYONE or do any harm to ANOTHER LIVING SOUL. And that warning goes for my followers too!"

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by XyZeR
And if jezus is comming back, i bet he'll have an uzi this time, i mean christians wear crosses around thier necks,...do you really think jezus would ever want to see a cross again ?

Edit: Spelling

[edit on 24-7-2006 by XyZeR]

Yes, Christians(depending on denomination)do wear a Cross around their necks, or some have the Cross tattooed on their arm(Check other post in 'religion' thread.)for religious or other reasons.
I wear a Cross because it reminds me of Jesus Christ....same reason we have pictures of our family to remind us of them....we do not Worship them, but it helps us to keep them in remembrance.
It helps us rememember that Jesus Christ suffered and was humiliated for all...

Jesus Christ was crucified on the Cross ''suffered'' for all mankind, "blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us" (Col. 2:14 and also the Sixth Hour.

The cross is called the "weapon of peace" because Christ slain enmity upon it (Eph. 2:16),
The Apostel, Paul"But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world" (Gal 6:14).

During prayer in front of a Cross,bowing,we recall the Resurrection of Christ in remembrance of His victory over evil and sin...
As was in the Beginning ...Angels in prayer and singing.....praised the Lord....as it is also in Revelation where Angels give praise.....

In the words of the Apostle Paul, "(Christ) being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant" (Philippians 2:6-7).
He died a most horrendous death....Crucified and humiliated.

To bear one's Cross....is to bear what is given to you..be it good or bad.

helen

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Nothing like taking a question and twisting the hell out of it, spinning it to no end.

I DONT DO RELIGION. All i wanted to know was WHY evangelicals look forward to

THE END OF THE WORLD, which by the way, the report WILL be on tonight (monday) at 8pm on CNN.

I said if you wanted to die, you should commit mass suicide. THIS IS TRUE. That's one way to end it, personally, i want to live to see my kids kids grow up.

STOP SPINNING. This was a question, that was all.

Get it?????????????????

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 06:17 AM
link   

he he he he he we couldnt resist

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 06:27 AM
link   
The_Sentinal,

Jeeez, it was really a question. I am a Catholic and i didin't even know evangelicals held such beleifs. I kept hearing it on TV advertised and i just asked why you all wanted to die. I beleive life is precious no matter what, but i was amazed to keep hearing this for 3 days now leading up to the show tonight.

Anyhow, like i said, i dont do religious threads, for this very reason :shk:

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I think the bottom line is, and perhaps the most worrying thing is, that christianity has made such a division, as in us and them.
Those eager for jesus to return and the unbelievers to be punished, where is your compassion and thought for those whom will not be saved? I'm sure it must mention something about this somewhere in the bible.
You act as if the rest of humanity are animals, deserving to be slaughtered.
I find it disturbing that your religion has had this effect on your views of people which do not believe that which you believe.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by T0by

You act as if the rest of humanity are animals, deserving to be slaughtered.
I find it disturbing that your religion has had this effect on your views of people which do not believe that which you believe.
ummm... i want you to live.....

Never mind. I'm not going to allow some to spin this anymore and be involved in it. Have your fun.

Ta Ta.....

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I think there's some confusion in religious terminology here too - Evangelical's are a branch of Christianity that covers a lot of ground. The term "Evangelical" has become synonymous with "fundamentalist" and "religious right" for a lot of people and that's not exactly accurate.

As I understand it not all Evangelicals are of the Dominionist mindset.

Yeah, there do seem to be a core of fanatics who look forward with a perverse glee to seeing all us unbelievers suffer and die, burn in hell, etc. But I wouldn't lump all Evangelicals in that same category.

[edit on 7/24/06 by xmotex]

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
I think there's some confusion in religious terminology here too - Evangelical's are a branch of Christianity that covers a lot of ground. The term "Evangelical" has become synonymous with "fundamentalist" and "religious right" for a lot of people and that's not exactly accurate.

As I understand it not all Evangelicals are of the Dominionist mindset.

Yeah, there do seem to be a core of fanatics who look forward with a perverse glee to seeing all us unbelievers suffer and die, burn in hell, etc. But I wouldn't lump all Evangelicals in that same category.

Thank you very much I for one agree with every word you said ........no one in their right mind wants to see anyone burn in hell......

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

Thank you- i agree. And that is what i was questioning. Anyway, watch tonight ET8pm i think on CNN.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I think most people that you will hear that kind of nonsense from are just those claiming to be of evangelical faith. Unfortunately, people on a large scale, don't seem to understand that 70+% of people who claim to be christians are in fact not. Being a christian isn't just about believing in God, and believing he had a son, blah blah.. It is about having a personal relationship with that son, commiting to constant study of God's word, and living a life that is pleasing to God. It is a giving away of yourself, and changing who you deeply are. By this definition, I can't see anyone truly living under God's wing saying they can't wait until he finally comes back and judges us all. I think it is simply ridiculous how millions of disinformants are able to go around and suggest certain false fews to be of a christian origin. It has been going on for years and years though. I think its ironic how satan can use those very people claiming to be of God for his evil work.

Btw- "Evangelical", in its original sense, means "belonging or related to the Gospel" as according to Wikipedia. it also mentions that it is mistakingly used to describe radical christian denominations such as penticostals, or non-denominationalists. By that definitions all christians.. including you catholic over there, are described as evangelicals, as our faith is based funamentally on the gospels. I think if you took a closer look at your own religion, catholicism, which is a whole different ball game then your modern protestant faith, there are a lot bigger problems then the one you pointed out with this post.

[edit on 24-7-2006 by jakeolsen2219]

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
i'm a christian and i completely understand dgtempe's post. it seems odd to me that these fundamentalists get so gung-ho about the end times and seem to be like blind sheep following the wolf in sheeps clothing (aka W. Bush). i mean, if you want to apply current events to the bible then he is for sure a false prophet, and right in the center of all things evil while doing it in the lords name. the news is just the propaganda to mislead all christians (just like the bible said "even those of the lord will be fooled".). the excitement to me is sad, and shows a selfish egocentric frame of mind that's not representing christ at all.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Reaganero-

Thank you. I knew somebody would understand.
----------------------------------------------------------------

As far as me being a Catholic and me looking into trouble in my own religion: I know all about it, thanks. That's why i do not go to church. I practice at home, in my heart and soul. I dont like hypocrasy.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
You could get the idea (listening to some evangelicals) that they look forward to the end times. We are not ALL like that but to hear the media (like CNN) you would get the idea that we are all crazy! Most of us are just looking forward to going home to the father and not wishing pain on anybody.

Originally posted by dgtempe
Nothing like taking a question and twisting the hell out of it, spinning it to no end.

I DONT DO RELIGION. All i wanted to know was WHY evangelicals look forward to

THE END OF THE WORLD, which by the way, the report WILL be on tonight (monday) at 8pm on CNN.

I said if you wanted to die, you should commit mass suicide. THIS IS TRUE. That's one way to end it, personally, i want to live to see my kids kids grow up.

STOP SPINNING. This was a question, that was all.

Get it?????????????????

P.S. dj, change your avator back, the stripper was hot!

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
DG, another good thread with good posts. Here's where politics meets religion. This thread and RNC's Ken Mehlman's speech at Christians United For Israel prompted me to do a little research. Here's a statement by CUFI's founder, Mr. Hagee

www.jpost.com...

Every Bible-believing Christian knows that when Jesus Christ returns to earth, the first thing that's going to happen is the Judgment of the Nations. The basis of that judgment is how did the gentile people treat Israel and how did they treat the Jewish people.

Here is the CUFI website
www.cufi.org...

One can google Judgment of the Nations for more info.

I can now understand why many Christians are upset at being lumped into this subset of Christianity. And I am upset that politicians have used/are using subsets like this to garner votes, and saying these subsets speak for all. Nasty and deceitful (yes, sheep's clothing indeed!) business.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by XyZeR
And if jezus is comming back, i bet he'll have an uzi this time...

Sort of like Ghandi 2, "He's back, and he's pissed!"

-O

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join