It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Same IP?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Im living with my wife and her brother. We share an internet connection using a wireless router and he was going to sign up for an account on ATS. I was wanting to know if we would run into any problems while we use this site being we have the same IP? Thanks.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   
No problems. Each pc has its own distinct ip. If both pc's share the same ip,you wouldnt be able to access the internet.You are probably thinking about your router. It has its own ip.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Great, thanks for the help. I didn't want to be banned or anything!

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by spanishcaravan
No problems. Each pc has its own distinct ip. If both pc's share the same ip,you wouldnt be able to access the internet.You are probably thinking about your router. It has its own ip.

Yep, exactly. Each computers have unique IP addresses within your home network. If the computers are NAT'ed behind a router/firewall then you and your wife's brother are seen as a single IP from the internet perspective, meaning ATS see different usernames coming from the same IP.

Except if you are assigned multiple fixed IPs by your ISP, but in that case you would know about it because you would have to pay more expensive bills.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by spanishcaravan
If the computers are NAT'ed behind a router/firewall then you and your wife's brother are seen as a single IP from the internet perspective, meaning ATS see different usernames coming from the same IP.

Except if you are assigned multiple fixed IPs by your ISP, but in that case you would know about it because you would have to pay more expensive bills.

So does that mean we would have the same IP? We are just using a simple wireless router and don't have more than one IP assigned by our ISP.

[edit on 21-7-2006 by sillinous1]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by sillinous1
So does that mean we would have the same IP? We are just using a simple wireless router and don't have more than one IP assigned by our ISP.

Yes, same IP. You can confirm by pointing your browser to www.myipaddress.com... and the brother pointing his browser to that link from the second computer will display the same IP.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   
So will we run into any problems with ATS? I read that if you get caught under two names on the same IP you get banned? Will that be true for us?

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 01:29 AM
link   
No, no, you can have multiple accounts so other family members or residents can enjoy ATS. No problem...

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   
The "different computers have different IP's" junk is false (please computer/network illiterates, do not reply to technical threads :p).

When you share a single access point, its the IP of the access point that gets reported to the webserver (in other words ATS). In homebased shared connections there are only few cases where the shared connection is setup with a range of public IP's to facilitate several PC's with their own public IP, this usualy costs a good deal extra compared to the standard 1IP/per subscription type of deal (which is what makes it pritty rare).

I don't know what the policy on ATS is but there are plenty of sites that won't allow for more then 1 user to login from the same IP at the same time.

Also, when an IP ban is done on one of the people sharing this connection, the other people won't be able to access the site either.

A "normal" policy on many sites, when people get banned, a scan is done on the userbase, to see if there are duplicate accounts, that access the site by the same IP and/or signed up trough the same IP, same crossmatchings are usualy done on email addresses and such.

So just be carefull that if either of you gets banned, you better contact the ATS admins to make sure that your accounts aren't the same person eventhough the access point is the same.

[edit on 21/7/06 by thematrix]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 01:41 AM
link   
IP Freely

We don't tend to look at IP addresses at all unless something comes up, so this usually isn't an issue for members.

If we do suspect something is amiss, we may look at IP addresses as part of a broader investigation, but we realize that matching IP addresses are not an indication of wrongdoing in and of themselves.

And as a general rule, we contact members directly if we have questions about their accounts.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I guess the main intent for the IP policy is that they want to avoid someone who creates two user accounts, and then logs in simultaneously at the same computer. Why you would want to is beyond me, but I'm sure there are some people who would. If you log on at different times with different accounts at the same computer, I'm sure the Amigos wouldn't have a problem with this.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 02:25 AM
link   
The only problem is when members create multiple accounts and "talk" to themselves. Some have done this in the past to give a WATS vote to their other account, bump their own threads or give themselves someone that agrees with what they have posted on the board. This isn't the only way it has been abused but it gives you an idea. Needless to say that we can see who votes for who in the WATS competition/award and the last person to vote for themselves has been IP banned from the site so cheating isn't the way to go.

top topics

join