It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eastern Candadians are Ingrates!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Quebec, well, that explains everything!

However, myself, being from New Brunswick (do you hate me even more, since I am even more easterly than them) I have been asked my age to buy cigars for crying out loud and I'm 37 years old, you should stop being so uptight and take that as a compliment! (when your 60, you'll still be a looker)
Stores can lose there operating licence for selling tobacco to underage persons, so it's in their best interest to make sure you are of age.

Besides, here you are berating eastern Canadians, yet with an attitude such as yours, well, who here then has the problem?
Why are some Americans seen as arrogant?

Perhaps it's all your fault, stay home

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   
quebec, lol...yes, i can see ur problem, they can be very rude there
i tried to buy a canadian flag in montreal in the late 90's, and i've never been more insulted by locals . I think sometimes certain people there dislike u if u speak english

no offence guys, but there are rude people everywhere, even here (i live in southern ontario). I have spent alot of time in florida and PA and seem to mostly recall all the times people were rude. Hell, one guy in PA (on a job site) stated he would knife me in the back after a seemingly innocent debate over canada and the states. I still hope he didn't literally mean it (had him removed from the site as it was a big scene), but it is scarier there because u have the overwhelming feeling that all the people have guns, and they do.

but there are more good-hearted people out there than bad..You just have to present yourself as a good hearted person, and u will see (sounds corny, but its true)
don't walk into a scene in canada with a big cocky america is the greatest , we can kick ur butt and you owe us attitude, or u will get punched, lol, exaggeration....but same if we went down there and looked down on you

i love the states, always have, backed most of their political objectives, stick up for you in debates with fellow canadians (your country is a hot topic, and there are gonna be people who dislike you because of your countries objectives) just keep your cool, and be polite, shows greater respect and character

on the army issue, you would kick our butt flat out..... i am sure everyone in canada would try to protect it, and as much as this would never be a possible scenario, you would still kick our butt...although i recall hearing that we were the only country to burn down the white house (thats the only bragging rights we own)

were not all rude, come up to hamilton and i'll show u where the nice people are (even canadians have a general feeling that hamilton is a scary city, but its not) we're here

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 02:24 AM
link   
HaHa stop trashing Quebec.
The hidden treasure of north america. I know "baby boomer" had it easy and are a bit grumpy and reluctant to learn english but thats the way french local media look for. They have a product to sell and living around a sea of 200 million english speaker is hard to manage w/t the help of actors, singers or stand up comic. I bet we have more of those per capita than the entire world, most of them arent funny at all, sometime i feel like its to fill a gap.

Its a question of culture i think. Beeing differents and trying to do so isnt beeing ingrates in my opinion and i think its normal theres some friction between english and french... as always. Ill say it once again, blame the media/TV. I know we think small but its the way things are apparently.
i can say for sure we have really great food and cheese and girls are hawt and yes theres is nice ppl in here too
. those were most frequent comments i herd from visitors.

[edit on 22-7-2006 by eagle eye]

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by l0rds0fcha0s
it was a liquer store where i threw the cigs at the person it was in quebec

That explains alot. Of all Canadians, Quebec seems to harbor more anti-American sentiment that most other provinces, with that "nez-en-l'air" type attitude. Maybe it has something to do with the American-French relationship the last decade or so. Remember the "Freedom Fries" incident? Yeah, didn't go over well in Quebec.

l0rds0fcha0s, I invite you to come see the 'real' east. New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI have dozens of great tourist attractions and destinations that'd welcome Americans like you should be received. I can send you more info if you'd like.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Hey guys..

What,s with Quebec?
You,ve got me curious now..
All of you are,like,aaaaahhh Quebec. no wonder then..

Can someone give me a quick net tourist trip around there?

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
Hey guys..

What,s with Quebec?
You,ve got me curious now..
All of you are,like,aaaaahhh Quebec. no wonder then..

Can someone give me a quick net tourist trip around there?

To be vague, Quebecers think they are better than everyone else, and 40-50% of them want Quebec to be its own country.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Hey guys,

I've got a fairly off topic question. What's the deal with the entire country hating on Toronto?

In solidarity,
Slink

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by slink
Hey guys,

I've got a fairly off topic question. What's the deal with the entire country hating on Toronto?

In solidarity,
Slink

Give me a reason why people shouldn't hate the center of the universe?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadEagle

Originally posted by slink
Hey guys,

In solidarity,
Slink

Give me a reason why people shouldn't hate the center of the universe?

Again, I'm just curious, besides the media attention Toronto gets, who ever said that Toronto is the center of the universe?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Wikipedia says so.

Center of the universe may refer to:

-axis mundi, the cosmological or religious concept of a world center
-centre of the universe is a misconception of the big bang. In the big bang, there is no centre, and thus the universe has no centre, even though common sense insists that an explosion should have a centre to explode from.
-Toronto, The (often derogatory) nickname of Toronto

en.wikipedia.org...

There's a fellow making a documentary for CBC called 'Let's All Hate Toronto'. Perhaps he will be able to answer the question for you.

mrtoronto.blogspot.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   

These people are the biggest bunch of ingrates I have ever laid my eyes on.

Well your opinion means so much to us.

Most of them think so little of the usa that it is sickening. They seem to not understand that they never have to worry about a thing because they are on our northern border, so we have no choice but to protect them. What do they have a 1000 man military, ok that is a little exaggerated, but it isn't many.

Are you personally protecting us. Do you know any of us?

Yet they bad mouth our country, our president, and our living styles.

Actually, ALOT of people tend to do that. But whos counting right?

On the other hand, in western Canada, they are the exact opposite, They love the US and are greatful that they are on our border,

Sadly, Alberta is completely filled with people from Eastern Canada. I Live on Cape Breton Island which is probably the farthest East you can get before your swimming in the Atlantic Ocean and more of us are moving to Alberta by the day. Do a quick google search for +Cape Breton +Fort McMurray and you'll see what I am talking about.

I know this Because I have been on both sides of the country, I am married to a canadian from alberta, and she has family in ontario, so I have been through the whole country.

Whole country? Married a lady from Alberta and she has family in Ontario? This is the whole country? Ontario is in the middle of Canada if I'm not mistaken, you still have Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland that are more eastern. So maybe you don't know.

And I can say from being there that if you go to western CA they are the nicest people you'd ever meet, but in eastern CA, Most are about as rude as you would want to meet.

I'll take wrong again for 200 Trebek. If you had ever visited Eastern Canada you would see Cape Bretoners, Newfs, etc are probably the most polite and easy going people on this planet. Some may talk with a bit of an accent and some dirty english, but most of them would give you the shirt off their back. Some maybe alittle ignorant to a different culture and not take the minute to understand but that does not make them rude. It means they are comfortable with a way of life and not interested into what else is out there.

If anybody is ignorant and rude, it would be you for making remarks about things you obviously have no idea about.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   

That is eastern canada for you, Yet I bet those of you that have been to the USA never get treated that way do you.
So don't tell me how polite your citizens are in the west they are, not in the east.

Btw, I'm an Ontarian - and a French Canadian - and I'm dating an American who will very soon (I hope) get her visa to come work and live with me in Ottawa, and if all goes well, one day become my wife. And I most certainly hope to have the chance after a few years to go back to California with her and do my Ph.D. there.

This being said, I think that in every culture you meet people who can't make the difference between individuals from another country and the policies of that country. One important thing I learned dating an American is to always remember that most Americans I meet are ordinary folks trying to lead the happiest lives they possibly can - like any other human being. This is why I think it's unfortunate that you were personally attacked as an American for your government's policies. That doesn't mean all Eastern Canadians hate the U.S. of A.

Some people on both sides of the border may need to get a grip on themselves and not lump the entire population of the other country in one big stereotype, but by the same token, disagreeing with the other country's policies doesn't mean you hate that country. In friendships between equals (which is what sovereign countries are) there is no such thing as debts. And there is certainly no obligation for Canadians to keep from criticizing their neighbor if they feel the criticism is warranted. Just as there is no obligation for Americans to keep from criticizing Canadians if they feel it is warranted.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wask
Protect them from who exactly? Who wants to attack Canada? The Russians? The Chinese? Also why is ok for Americans to bash Canada all the time, and every other country in the world. Whiney hypocrite. Do you whine and complain about that too? I doubt it.
[edit on 18-7-2006 by Wask]

You make a lot of sense here... I mean why would china not invade to take Canada's resources or water or land or advance infrastructure? Or any other country for that matter since we have a joke for a military..

there is no agressive people in the world outside of the USA right? no other government with the will or resouces to take country like Canada down right?

I think Cuba could invade this country and take it over if it wasn't for the US.

Oh I live in Toronto so I know a bit about what I'm talking about.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
When I clicked on this post I expected someone to be ripping into Maratimers but I forgot that when it comes to geography alot of Americans and "western" Canadians somehow forget what the map of our country looks like. I remember back in college going to pick someone from Toronto up at the Halifax airport and she actually thought she was going to smell fish when she got off the plane. lolol!

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Yeah with alittle bit of discussion on this thread, it became apparent that Quebec was considered the Eastern Canadians.

I sometimes wonder if there are black clouds over our section of the maps, how can people be so far off when it comes to our geography.

Try this on for size...

Can you pass the third grade?

It took me a few tries but I can do it with no trouble now.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I tried it 4 times so far and I got 33/48. The short bus is at the curb, gotta go!

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by librasleep
When I clicked on this post I expected someone to be ripping into Maratimers but I forgot that when it comes to geography alot of Americans and "western" Canadians somehow forget what the map of our country looks like. I remember back in college going to pick someone from Toronto up at the Halifax airport and she actually thought she was going to smell fish when she got off the plane. lolol!

No #. I lived in BC back in the 70's, not a bad time to live there if you get my drift,
but it seemed like Eastern Canada went, Ontario, Quebec, then Newfoundland. DUDES, there are 3 other provinces there. Sorry Duzey but that was my experience. Everything east of Quebec was Newfoundland. "Man, I'm a Nova Scotian". "Oh, that's the same thing". Oh really? Hell, mistake a Cape Bretoner for a Newfie, or vice versa, and expect to be swallowing your chicklets. Hell, mistake a Cape Bretoner to a Mainlander(same province) and you'll get the same result.

Now, to the original poster. What do you get from Canada? Natural resourses too numerous to number. Did you know you import more oil from Canada than any other country. Hmm, you seem to want our water too.

Next, armed forces. Sure, if you put both militaries on a battle field, Canada couldn't compete. However, as citizens we are as armed as the average American. You wouldn't stand a chance. Any type of occupation would be more brutal than any you've tried in the past. BTW, why do you think that we don't have a large military? We don't go around pissing in other people's pools. In fact, the only country that we consider potentially dangerous is yours. Coincedentally, we ARE helping out in Afghanistan.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Everything east of Quebec was Newfoundland. "Man, I'm a Nova Scotian". "Oh, that's the same thing". Oh really? Hell, mistake a Cape Bretoner for a Newfie, or vice versa, and expect to be swallowing your chicklets. Hell, mistake a Cape Bretoner to a Mainlander(same province) and you'll get the same result.

Noone has ever spoken truer words.

Two summers that I lived in Red Deer, I was always asked if I was a Newfoundlander. (Damn Accent!)

Nine out of ten times this is how the conversation would play out:

"Hey"
"How you doing man?"
"Good Good"
"Got a bit of an accent there"
"Yeah I've been told that a few times"
"Newfie eh!!!"
"Nah, I'm from Cape Breton. Just alittle southern of NFLD"
"Same Difference"

What the hell is Same Difference?

Blown away at the lack of geography some people are aware of. And the worst of it is, a lot of times these people are actually intelligent. They are not stupid people, they just do not have two clues when it comes to the make up of our country.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

What the hell is Same Difference?

It's the same language that gave us, "Stay where you're to and I'll come where you're at".

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Sorry Duzey but that was my experience. Everything east of Quebec was Newfoundland.

Hey, I know my Canadian geography.

When my ancestors came over from Scotland, they were among the families that settled Pictou. If Canada were the US, I would be a snooty, high-society Mayflower-type. Only it would be called the Hector Society.

I'll show off my pedigree for you - my grandmother was born in Pictou, my mother was born in Inverness and I'm related to the Rankin's on my grandmother's side. I lost a family member (long before I was born, but my grandmother still talks about it) when the Inveralt went down.

I'm a first generation Westerner. I can even speak a smattering of Gaelic.

[edit on 16-10-2006 by Duzey]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join