It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recommend a Book or Request a Recommendation.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

So the emphasis is on Reading Recognition as opposed to Reading Comprehension............brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously, right now i'm trying to teach myself two languages in my spare time , and i'm not doing so well =(

Btw the gap between 6 and 12 is big.

just so you know if it wasn't for reading comics , I would never have been able to bridge the gap of comics to novels. I guess another question i have is , Are the children going to be reading black and white copies, actaul comics or reading scanned material on a computer.

Since superheroes(specically batman) will be the material read, i'll have to do some research on what books i recommend, I would guess though that the 70s tpb(trade paper backs) of him would be a decent start. though i would even recomend some disney(donald duck) ones myself, they are fun, visually easy to understand and use a simpler vocabulary that is more commenly used.

The region in which you live is important, because some Child freindly Dc reads are Christmas specials, but in a non-christian society they might not really have to much fun in it.

just so you know i used to volunteer in after school programs a bit , and almost started an understanding comics class. but unfortunetly i had got too involved in work and had to drop that hobbie =(

A couple of things that i can advise is wikipedia.com , so far it is the best source of for a general outline to a Bios to a character! even better than you will find on the actual comics site. though the links aren't alwasy the most helpful.

second I recommend forums.comicbookresources.com... it's one of the best forums for comic readers! they are very friendly and you will find alot of really friendly users to answers any odd questions you have. btw i'm not promoting that site, but in this case its a safer bet than this site for getting any answers on that Medium of enterainment.

Though since Reading Comprehension isn't a priority, just Reading Recognition, you should base your choices on things that will be more please to the eye.

any thoughts or comments please tell me, in the meantime i will find you a list of comments

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Cheers dude...

I didn't even think of wiki, cos they is not reel peeps!!

DUH!

And the other forum might come in handy when I'm getting in a bit deeper for specifics, writing styles and grammar and stuff!! For now I'll just (KISS) Keep it simple sucka and then take it from there!

Awesome work

Thanks again

MonKey

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
So I have to recommend my all time favroite book. Excellent read.

Kingdom Come

another one of my top reads has to be Chosen by mark miller. excellent read as well.

~G~

[edit on 30-6-2009 by ghostryder21]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
have you red kicka** yet..

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
OK here's my recommendation;
(I'd Superman, Green Latern, and all of marvel stuff, but why not recommend new cool thing from Japan !)

First on my list is ONE PIECE this one including most of themes out there except "love and hentai" there is a even a conspiracy in the main storyline...it goes like this "good guys standing up for their freedom so they being labeled as bad guys; very bad guys pretedning to be very good guys and suppress whoever dare to question them" sound familiar ?! The story starts slow, along the way you can pick up piece by piece of info.

Status; 1-606 chapters still ongoing nowhere near ending.

Second one, I know for sure that most of ATSer will LOVE this one.
AKUMETSU is the name, it is about a normal guy who possess a cloning machine and he use it to clone himself to hundred or thousand of copy. He uses all of what he has to "FIX" the corrupt system of government. His measure is very extreme, mark my word, it's very extreme.
(I'm not sure that the first would fit ya'll taste, but the second one is the one
)

Status; 18 volumes (completed)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

edit on 6-12-2010 by the_0bserver85 because: double post

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
i would recommend the books which written by

Alan Moore ( Watchmen, his run on swamp things, from hell..etc )
Neil Gaiman ( Sandman, etc )
Frank Miller ( Sin City , 300 , dark knight returns )
Grant Morrison ( His run on Doom Patrol, Animal Man )
Mark Millar ( Kick Ass, Etc )
Warren Ellis ( Transmetropolitan, The Authority, Planetary, Gravel, etc )
Garth Ennis ( The Boys, Preacher , etc )
Brian K Vaughn ( Pride Of Baghdad, Y The Last Man )

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
El Eternauta

It's only available in Spanish, French, and Italian but if you can read any of those languages then I highly recommend it. It's a masterpiece, pretty much the Spanish version of Watchmen.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 20-4-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Umbrax

Good Thread, OP.

I'm always looking for new recommendations, I tend to gravitate to the titles I know and love, even after they sometimes take a turn for the worse, or fall off creatively.
I've already picked up a couple new titles that other posters in this thread recommended.
Anyhow- for starters, let me introduce and highly recommend Uncanny X-Force. In my opinion it is the best X-book Marvel is putting out at the moment.

Uncanny X-Force
publisher: Marvel Comics
writer: Rick Remender
artist: Jerome Opena
Plot: Wolverine and Archangel form a blackops squad of mutants to take care of all the threats that need taking care of- with extreme prejudice

And this next one is from a few years back, but is still one of my all time favorites (see my avatar).

Preacher
publisher: DC/Vertigo
writer: Garth Ennis
artist: Steve Dillon
Plot: A chain smoking, hard drinking Texas preacher teams up with his gun-toting ex-girlfriend and an Irish degenerate vampire and embark on a quest across the USA looking for God. For Mature Readers.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Umbrax

Are you reading a book and think others would like it? Feel free to make a post and recommend it here.
Include this information:
Title
Publisher
Writer/Artist
Cover art if you like
What demographic group would like this book?

Title: INFINITY
Publisher: IUNIVERSE

Writer/ Artist: RAMAEL SLATER

I would like to recommend my newly published comic book if allowable. The title of the book is "Infinity" and it truly is a book made for the ATS crowd. It covers a doomsday scenario with a massive comet headed towards Earth, the media and the conspiracy behind cover-ups, religion, political theory, the military; I tried to cover it all in this story.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
WOW, really awesome thread!!! I left comics too a while back, and have been stumbling onto a few...

Title: Invisibles
Publisher: DC/Vertigo
Writer/Artist : Grant Morrison
upload.wikimedia.org...
What demographic group would like this book? Anarchists/Conspiracy Theory

Kind of fitting for this website, but I got into it because it's a very well written series, which I have had to read several times to gain some more insight. Very New Agey and definitely conspiracy theory overtones.

Title: Lucifer
Publisher: DC Comics
Writer/Artists: Mike Carey
upload.wikimedia.org...

A old Navy Buddy of mine introduced me to this guy's initial DC run, the one-shot graphic novels
Nirvana and all I can say is WOW! Well written, very good artwork, and overall just plain fun to read!

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Umbrax

I am an artist and i like collecting comic books. i have recently seen The Darkness series and variants but online not in paper. i must say that reading a comic on my laptop is different than reading a paper comic. there are pros and cons from this...

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Title: The Nail
Publisher: DC ('Elseworlds')
Writer/Artist: Alan Davis/ Mark Farmer
What demographic group would like this book? *shrugs* I don't know, it's a bit dark and violent for the kiddies.

It's not great, though I quite enjoyed it. It doesn't deliver exactly what it promises, though.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Classic DC war mags:

The Haunted Tank [g.i.combat] By Knighter and Heath

Sgt Rock, by Joe Kuberet

Enemy Ace by Joe Kubert..[ Hans Von Hammer, the Hammer of Hell.]

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Greywolf13A

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I've been wanting to read Marshal Law. It's an Epic Comic title that I think needs some revisiting.

For manga, I'm checking out Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Very interesting story and concepts that use a bit of science. And it may be the first manga to have a concept of "spirit doubles" that manifest special abilities. Very interesting indeed.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The Death of Wolverine comic is really good. Second issue just came out today. AND they just released the cover to the third issue with Kitty Pryde on it. Made me sad they're going back to the two of them knowing the end is here.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
just about anything from the Astro City series, specifically
Life in the Big City
Confession
Family Album
Tarnished Angel
Shining Stars

(I really hated The Dark Age, almost like something from a different series)

edit on 28-2-2015 by works4dhs because: trying to add pic

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
The Vertigo books were always pretty cool. I know somebody mentioned Transmetropolitan and I was a big fan of The Invisibles. If anyone wanted to check out a cool indie creator I would look into the works of Benjamin Marra (Lincoln Washington- Gangsta Rap Posse), all his stuff is pretty interesting and I think he is just starting to break into more mainstream publishing circles (he may not be for everybody, lol).
I always loved Mike Allred as sort of a throwback artist, he partially created that show based on the book iZOMBIE.
He has some great books like Madman, Red Rocket 7 and The Atomics.
Saying all that, I stopped reading the mainstream books some time ago. I may read one every couple of years or so but am much more interested in the smaller publishers.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I would honestly recommend the "Saga" series on Image.
Here's a link to a site where you can check the covers.
I interpreted the first 12 issues or so I read in almost
a Palistenian/Isreali metaphor/allegory. I really loved
the depth to the characters and the interwoven plot
devices.
Hope you guys enjoy!

imagecomics.com...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join