It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recommend a Book or Request a Recommendation.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Are you new or returning to comics and would like a recommendation on what to read?
There is a comic book out there for everyone and this is the thread to help you find the book that is just for you.

There are many comic fans that have left the world of comics in the 90’s and are now interested in returning thanks to comic based stories in the mainstream such as movies.

If you would like a recommendation leave a post here telling a little bit about yourself.
What are your interests?
What kinds of novels, movies or TV shows do you like?
How old are you? (Don’t worry. You don’t have to disclose your exact age.)
Are you male or female?
If you used to read comics, what books did you like?

Are you reading a book and think others would like it? Feel free to make a post and recommend it here.
Include this information:
Title
Publisher
Writer/Artist
Cover art if you like
What demographic group would like this book?

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Astonishing X-Men

Written by Joss Whedon (Buffy and Angel creator) and penciled by John Cassaday (Planetary) together they are arguably putting out the greatest X-Men books ever.

Marvel.com
ASTONISHING X-MEN VOL. 1

This deluxe hardcover collects ASTONISHING X-MEN VOL. 1: GIFTED and ASTONISHING X-MEN VOL. 2: DANGEROUS, plus extras. In GIFTED, Cyclops and Emma Frost re-form the X-Men with the express purpose of "astonishing" the world. But when breaking news regarding the mutant gene unexpectedly hits the airwaves, will it derail their new plans before they even get started? As demand for the "mutant cure" reaches near-riot levels, the X-Men go head-to-head with the enigmatic Ord, with an unexpected ally – and some unexpected adversaries – tipping the scales! In DANGEROUS, a tragic death at the Xavier Institute reveals a powerful enemy living among the X-Men that they could never have suspected – and no, it's not Magneto. Things heat up in a way none of the X-Men ever dreamed, but will teamwork save the day when they can't even depend on themselves?

Do you:
Like the X-Men movies?
Are a fan of Joss Wheadon?
Used to read X-men in the Byrne/Claremont days?
Breath?
Then you must read this book.

You can read issue one online at Marvel.com

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Civil War Got me Back into Comics and Rocks my Sox Off a Good Starting point For any Comic reader

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Maybe pretend the reader of this thread hasn’t got a clue as to what you are talking about and give a little more information on Civil War.

Originally posted by Umbrax
Are you reading a book and think others would like it? Feel free to make a post and recommend it here.
Include this information:
Title
Publisher
Writer/Artist
Cover art if you like
What demographic group would like this book?

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Title:Civil War
Publisher:Marvel Comics
Writer/Artist:Millar/Mcniven
Cover art if you like
What demographic group would like this book?Teens and UP

More Info: en.wikipedia.org...(comics) (spoilers)

[edit on 25-7-2006 by Truth_Hunter_1976]

[edit on 25-7-2006 by Truth_Hunter_1976]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I was never into comics until I went to the US and my cousin introduced me to these. Legendary comics.

img145.imageshack.us...

Title: The Walking Dead
Publisher:Image Comics
Writer/Artist:Robert Kirkman/Michael Anthony "Tony" Moore

More info: en.wikipedia.org... (spoilers)

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Great thread! The best title, in my opinion, is Hellboy, writen and (mostly) drawn by Mike Mignola. Hellboy is the seed of an unholy union between a demon and a mortal woman. He is summoned to earth by Rasputin (working for the Nazis, in WW2), to help them win the war... Hellboy has the Right Hand of Doom, a power he does not know about. Unfortunately for Rasputin, Hellboy appears in another area, where he is found by a British Scientist and American Soldiers, who befriend the young demon. They raise him, and he investigates paranormal events, while searching for his own meaning. Is that an awesome concept, or what!

Also, check-out the Ultimates, a twist on the old Avengers, with more of a hard edge... especially Captain America (this title renewed my interest in the Avengers, in general).

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Well, I'm going to reccomend a recent purchase of mine.

Watchmen, the Absolute edition.

Absolute Watchmen on Amazon

(Link 'cause I'm lazy.) This is probably my favourite book (including novels, comics and what have you) of all time, as one can probably guess from my sig. The issues and questions raised are topical in any time period, and doubly so nowadays. The characters are compelling and the writing is excellent. I already had it in paperback, but decided to spring for the great big re-colored, extra goodies added boxed edition. I'm not sorry, and I report that it is worth every penny.

(Saw someone mentioned The Walking Dead as well--good book!)

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Publisher: DC Comics
Writer : Robert Kanigher

[edit on 20-3-2007 by searching_for_truth]

SR

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Great thread!!!

I'm going to recommend:

'The Sandman'

DC Vertigo
Neil Gaiman is the series writer and there are various artists through out the series.

What demographic group would like this book:

I think most people would like this book it's got great characters and makes you want to find out more about the protagonist and the series it's self does not stick to one genre so alway's offers something new that you didn't expect to happen and touches on alot of real life issues. I really love this comic as well like the X-men and Watchmen and Batman it made me fall in love with comics.

Anyway en.wikipedia.org... (contains spoilers)

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Right now I can't get enough of
Invincible
and
Runaways

Both are just really great stories with funny characters who have dramatic twists....also some great action scenes.

also I highly recommend picking up the
30 Days of Night tpb as it is being made into a film which will probably be the next '300' so get in on it before the masses do.

30 days of night is about a town in Alaska that is well under 30 days of night and it is attacked by vampires...very cool comic.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
The only recommendations that I'll give out are to get "HUSH" which was illustrated by Jim Lee and any hardcover book by Alex Ross.These guys are the top players in the industry ,which leaves me to the once great Joe Mad ! ,who will be coming back to this industry after years of abscence on marvel's " Ultimates 3" which will put marvel on top for a few more years.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I'm going to recommend Alan Moore's The league of Extraordinary Gentlemen (V1 or V2). While it is a bit more suitable for the mature readers it features a great story and enthralling graphics. Check it out if you haven't yet.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Rex Mundi by Avrid Nelson and Juan E. Ferreyra. Great comic book an alternative history world where the Roman Empire never fell and basically became the Nazis. Mix in some Da Vici Code style grail lore and great art and you have one great comic book.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
HAHA! long time no see gentelman!
as for my recomendation i would say try

Tarnished Angel

=

Is it one of the best comics ever? not really, but its great read visually emotionally. a story of an ex-con/villian try to scrape a living without breaking parole. Eventually the only work he can muster up is a gig working as a Private eye investigating recent murders of other ex-villians from his own neighborhood. it's visually great, easily to get into without the need of knowing too much about the world it is set in and its hard not to like the main character

Alot of great comics out there folks, i saw some folks reccomending Watchmen and Sandman which are a must! these comics are masterpieces that went out beyond the mainstream to tell a good story.

the past year i've been off here i've been watchiing alot of anime(trying to geek out on another genre i didn't have time for until now) but even then i still find myself Re-reading EarthX ,Kindom Come , Animal man!

Another recomendation is

is a collection of Alan Moore's work, well at least what was done through DC comics.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Hey everyone. Just thought I'd add in an absolute gem I've been digging for the last few weeks.

Title : 100 Bullets
Publisher : Vertigo
Writer/Artist : Brian Azzarello / Eduardo Risso

The whole of ATS would probably love this,haha. It's a very dark and gritty crime/noir comic with plenty of conspiracy, shadowy characters, backstabbing and violence and the odd foxy dame.
Maybe a little different from some recommendations here, but definately a breath of fresh air.
The writing alone is outstanding but combined with the art style it really puts 100 Bullets in a league of it's own.

Can't recommend it enough.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Hi Comic Book Experts.

I need some recommendations. I teach English to kids and have been asked to write a summer course using Super Heroes as the medium. "I know nothing!"

I'd like to use the main guys, batman, superman, etc, etc, and also introduce others that I haven't heard of like errr... That's where I need help! Oh and they don't have to be English/American Heroes, just need the details in English.

What I really need is stats and like backround stories and bios and stuff. Is there somewhere or a book that has all this in one place?

I'll start looking myself, but I'm a touch googlexic!! Just as well I have a few months.

Cheers in advance.

MonKey

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

Well I guess the first question would be, how well can they read english?

the second is what is your location?because if your going to teach english through comics, your going to have to be able to understand the art!

You need to read this book before you try teaching these kids.

Understanding Comics by Scott Mcloud Consider it a crash course on how to read comics, how to understand the art, the history of it as well as the possible applications of it. this single book would be perfect for you before you venture into this project of yours. it also happens to be one of the funnest reads ever!

as for the material necessary, answer my two above questions as well as what age are the kids i suppose and a rating using the movie method from G to X on what would be appropriate on discussing with these kids.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProGe
Hey everyone. Just thought I'd add in an absolute gem I've been digging for the last few weeks.

Title : 100 Bullets
Publisher : Vertigo
Writer/Artist : Brian Azzarello / Eduardo Risso

The whole of ATS would probably love this,haha. It's a very dark and gritty crime/noir comic with plenty of conspiracy, shadowy characters, backstabbing and violence and the odd foxy dame.
Maybe a little different from some recommendations here, but definately a breath of fresh air.
The writing alone is outstanding but combined with the art style it really puts 100 Bullets in a league of it's own.

Can't recommend it enough.

haha! that was actually a good one!

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by bordnlazy

Cheers for the response. As for the kids taking the course, ages between primary 1, 6 years old and Primary 6, 12 years old. It'll probably be broken down in to 2 or 3 levels depending on the interest.

But... When you are teaching English to non natives you grade the task not the text.

Example. If the task is, count the number of times the word "the" is used. It doesn't matter if you give them Spot's Bath or an article from the Financial Times.

Really it's Super Hero details I'm after, Stats and stuff.

Cheers

MonKey

P.S. I'm in Hong Kong and the reason this is a good idea is because Batman TDK did some shooting here.

<<   2  3 >>

join