It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Threatens Pre-emptive Strike!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Japan is considering the possibilities of a pre-emptive strike on North Korea and is still fuming over last weeks missile launch which sparked widespread condemnation from the international community.

apnews.myway.com
Japan said Monday it was considering whether a pre-emptive strike on the North's missile bases would violate its constitution, signaling a hardening stance ahead of a possible U.N. Security Council vote on Tokyo's proposal for sanctions against the regime.

Japan was badly rattled by North Korea's missile tests last week and several government officials openly discussed whether the country ought to take steps to better defend itself, including setting up the legal framework to allow Tokyo to launch a pre-emptive strike against Northern missile sites.

"If we accept that there is no other option to prevent an attack ... there is the view that attacking the launch base of the guided missiles is within the constitutional right of self-defense. We need to deepen discussion," Chief Cabinet Secretary Shinzo Abe said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Japan's constitution currently bars the use of military force in settling international disputes but if the pre-emtive strike is viewed as a self defense maneuver, the action would be interpreted as a constitutional right.

The question of whether the strike could eliminate the nuclear threat by North Korea comes into play as officials are considering if a pre-emptive strike on the North's missile bases would achieve the desired result.

what would be the international ramifications if such a strike were to take place? one can only speculate on the outcome of such a move by japan.

Related News Links:
www.smh.com.au

[edit on 10-7-2006 by the_sentinal]

[edit on 10-7-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   
This is rather uncharacteristicly harsh sabre-rattling on behalf of the Japanese. Not only is it a major departure from the devout pacifism espoused since the end of WW2 but it is not a plausible action.

Japan must know that it is incapable of destroying all of North Korea's nuclear weapons. If it launched an act of aggression/preemption on North Korea I am fairly certain the NK's would launch what ever they have left against both South Korea and Japan.

Japan is just playing North Korea at their own game, rattling the sabre to get what they want. Which is a neutered North Korea as cheaply as possible.

[edit on 10/7/06 by subz]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz

Japan is just playing North Korea at their own game, rattling the sabre to get what they want. Which is a neutered North Korea as cheaply as possible.

[edit on 10/7/06 by subz]

I figure they're asking themselves, "Why the hell not?" Rational discussion doesn't appear to work. Neither does international condemnation.

If NK is bound and determined to start a war, then Japan and SK will get the worst of it.

If NK is bluffing, why not call it?

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
This is rather uncharacteristicly harsh sabre-rattling on behalf of the Japanese. Not only is it a major departure from the devout pacifism espoused since the end of WW2 but it is not a plausible action.[edit on 10/7/06 by subz]

Based on what intelligence you have gained? I mean these guys are kinda good at tech stuff and all.

I personally don't care. It's been better than 70 years. Let them to their own. Germany has a powerful military. WW2, theirs was based on racial empire and Japans on empire. Germany brought us Aushwitz. Even with the war crimes committed in China and elsewhere. So why does Japan get the stiff? Racism?

I think so. Loosen the noose and let the best fighters on the planet defend their own. It's ridiculous for us to defend them when you think about it.

We're defending the people that brought us the samurai? Huh?

Hey, here's a thought, maybe they actually feel threatened and unfortunately don't believe a neolib west could defend them as promised?

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   
looks like the last samurai didn't happen yet, afterall.

the japanese are some of the most brutal, efficient warriors of all time, consistently defeating MUCH larger opponents.

they are practically of one mind. if they decide to get tough, they will all decide it nearly simultaneously. and then, woe be it to their opponents.

kin jong il may be strong, but he is just one man. the japanese are a TRUE HIVE, acting independently, yet with a single purpose.

just my opinion.

it's ALL just the chess of the rich and infamous.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemicalLaser
If NK is bound and determined to start a war, then Japan and SK will get the worst of it.

North Korea cannot gain anything from a war. Only nations such as the United States can even attempt to gain anything from an aggressive war these days.

Originally posted by ChemicalLaser
If NK is bluffing, why not call it?

Of course NK is bluffing. If you take so much as a cursory look at how they've behaved in the last 20 years its easy to see. They are a catspaw of the Chinese and when the NK's want something or some attention they will rattle the saber.

North Korea was being ignored once more by the Bush administration so they made preparations to test a long range missile. When G. W. Bush first came to office they made the mistake of ignoring North Korea and they developed nuclear weapons in direct response to being ignored. North Korea wants financial help and the only way they know how to get it is to blackmail.

Originally posted by notbuynit
Based on what intelligence you have gained? I mean these guys are kinda good at tech stuff and all.

Based on what intelligence? Well you know how the United States has basically called off military action against Iran's suspected nuke program? Thats because they know they would not be able to destroy everything and the very act of trying will be a self fulfilling prophesy. Japan does not have any where near the military capabilities and technology of the United States. The US cant pull it off ergo the Japanese definately cannot.

Japan does not seriously consider using military means against North Korea. They know all too well that North Korea is a state sponsor of blackmail. Japan's reasoning should well be that if they start rattling sabers they can reduce how much yen it will cost them to put North Korea back in their box. If the North Koreans get so much of a wiff of their saber rattling spiralling out of their control they will be willing to accept much lower pay offs.

Japan is a major contributer to financial aid and energy assistance to North Korea. They are showing North Korea who's the dominant power in the relationship and unlike the Bush preponderance of using force to assert that power, Japan doesnt have to.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I would suspect that this is for the consumption of some of the less cooperative members of the UN as much as anything else...

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   
IMO, Japan is just trying to make North Korea nervous. They should, and are justified in doing so. I dont think they should take it to the pre-emptive strike level, though. I dont think they will.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Nobody thought they would strike pearl harbor ethier

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_sentinal
Nobody thought they would strike pearl harbor ethier
Except the US Government.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
China should put a muzzle on their yapping dog Kim Jong Il as it would be in North Korea's and China's best interest to not iritate or intimidate Japan too much. Japan is a sleeping giant militarily , especially from the position of nuclear weapons and as such should be left sleeping.

In April of 2002 Japanese Liberal Party President Ichiro Ozawa claimed that Japan could make a large number of nuclear weapons "overnight". Although Japan's constitution, dictated by the U.S. during its post-war occupation, forbids the acquisition, manufacture or "bringing in" of nuclear weapons, many conservative politicians in Japan want the statute amended. Japan's ability to make nuclear weapons is not limited by technological know-how nor materials. In fact, Japan has stockpiled huge amounts of plutonium, ostensibly to feed its fast breeder reactors but with the potential for quick diversion to military uses.

Japan is a world leader in fusion technology and has the capability to produce nuclear weapons at very short notice, although "overnight" as Ozawa claims is a bit overstated. The largest impedence to Japan going nuclear is it's own constitution, but the unpredictable nature of east asian security could drive the Japanese to forego their aversion to nuclear weapons in deference to emerging national security interests, signs of which are beginning to surface in the ongoing missile standoff with North Korea.

Japan also has the technology to deliver payloads very accurately via missile and in fact has an active space program with missile technology that is far more advanced than North Korea's. The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) has successfully put satellites in orbit with indigeonous space access platforms and the ability to do that successfully can be seen as indicative of their ability to develop ICBM's.

Similarly, China should also tread lightly with Taiwan as they have had a nuclear weapons program in the past that was shut down by the Reagan adminstration but it is known that it continued surepticiously for quite some time after that. Taiwan therefore could easily go nuclear from a technological standpoint, and Taiwan and Japan are close economic trading partners and rely on the security and free market of one another to the point that the relationship between them is considered "strategic" for both.

Sources:

Japanese Military Going Into Space - Space.Com

Japanese military wants fatter budget for missile defence, intelligence - Spacewar.com

Japan: Six-party talks on North Korea a waste of time - Geostrategy Direct

Japanese Politician Claimed Japan Could Make Massive Nuclear Weapons - People's Daily Online

Nuclear Clouds Gather Over the Asia Pacific - Interpress Service

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybob

the japanese are some of the most brutal, efficient warriors of all time, consistently defeating MUCH larger opponents.

I would agree on all counts execpt for the fact that we are no longer talking about dueling swords, these are possible nukes. If Japan were smart they would recognize a cry for attention when they see it. Of course that is easy to say when I don't have missles landing 600 km from my shore

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Great post intelgurl

I would only like to add mention of the Japanese peoples historical abhorrence of nuclear weapons. I need not remind people why the Japanese do not like nuclear weapons.

Japan maybe capable of acquiring nuclear weapons but such a move would be rejected by not only the UN (via the NPT) and the US, but overwhelming by the Japanese themselves.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone

Originally posted by billybob

I would agree on all counts execpt for the fact that we are no longer talking about dueling swords, these are possible nukes. If Japan were smart they would recognize a cry for attention when they see it. Of course that is easy to say when I don't have missles landing 600 km from my shore

yeah think japan is a little past just swords. samurai is not 'swordsman', it is 'warrior'.

i lived there. i got a taste of the MINDSET of the japanese.

i personally like them better when they're just out-innovating. when they start killing, there is a lot of death. brutal death. they are really good at it.

ask the chinese, the russians, the koreans and the allies of WWII.

ever watch anime? almost every single movie is about an apocalypse that destroys most of the inhabitants of earth. thousands of deaths are obvious as part of the story, but usually with no emotional 'overtone', other than the viewer's involvment with the main characters.

it's almost like they're being programmed to bring it about.

anime is very popular.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   
It is a new cold war. The question is, what will become of this?

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
great post intelgurl:

the technology to deliver payloads very accurately is what the North Koreans are trying to boast, in the end though thier just stirring up the whole region. If they would just do like japan has and just put satellites in orbit then they would gain the respect through the less antagonistic approach. the technology is the same used in ICBM's and thier point would be made just the same

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Economically, NK has no chance against Japan. But we're talking potential nukes here.

NK needs to be knocked down a notch or two. It seems that Kim does not want to be part of the world community, and he continues to do stupid stuff like lobbing missiles over Japan.

Isn't this type of situation the reason that the UN supposedly exists?

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   
The UN seems to be a neutered dog with no teeth they have yet to make a real difference on any pressing issue of the day, they should be disbanded or at least moved off U.S. soil IMHO

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
It is a new cold war. The question is, what will become of this?

i believe the goal is hell on earth.

'hot war'

'they' should probably be stopped, soon.
no-one has to die. the planet can sustain us, if we stop killing it, and focus on mass survival,

it will be harder when everything glows, and only mutants are born.

it is all a puppet show. all. old boys. very powerful. 'connected' at the 'top'.

millions will die.

perhaps billions.

that is the plan, imo

organ harvesting.
torture.
depleted uranium, the weapon that keeps on taking.
clearcutting and mass extinction of whole ecosystems.
raw sewage and general rampant chemical soupagenishness.
removal of all human rights.
global sattelite tracking and biometric beast i.d.'s for EVERYONE on earth.
global nuclear war and mass biological warfare.

yeah.

who can wait?

looks like we don't have to for most things on my little list.

there are levels of hell.

going down?

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I agree with you that hot war may happen, but hopefully cold war will fend that off. I don't really know about the "old boy networks" causing this. The worst thing for most of the people connected in secret societies, would be war as they would lose a lot of money. Nor do I think corporations are fueling this, again, they will lose lots of money. I think it is just plain old greed for power, like it has been since humans were on this earth. Not some mass conspiracy.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join