It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is every other member banned?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The only thing I can say about that is that I know that Springer at least gets somewhere on the order of 1200 U2Us some days (at least I THINK that was the number he quoted). It may simply be a case of either not having read it, or not having the time to reply to it. But I don't want to speak for them, just putting a reason why they didn't answer out there.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Intrepid, I understand, its not an exact science, and the case you’re referring to was unfortunate, but perhaps you’re right it might have been something behind the scenes.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoNik
How does one find out why a particular member was banned, when that banned member honestly has no clue?

I have been trying to find out just this, of one. I've tried U2U to the only one that can perform an IP ban, but got no repsonse. I U2U'd the other 2 of the top 3 as well, no answer. I made a post of it on Board Business, but the post was shuffled away to the neverlands.

This particular member just wants to know why, as they truely do not understand why one day to come to the board, but can not even access the domain.

Thanx

NN

As djohnsto77 pointed out ThomasCrowne (former admin) accidently gave admin powers to a member he meant to ban. The member/troll then went on a banning spree, mostly Christians, Republicans, creationists and ID advocates got the axe. I'm not sure if Skeptic O. was able to figure out who was banned by that member so some of them may have never had their membership reinstated... He asked for members to post names of people they thought were victims of the troll's new found big bad ban hammer

If the timing is close this may be what happened to your friend. Here's the thread SO posted about this issue.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hope that helps.

Regards,
-Rren

[edit on 8-7-2006 by Rren]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
When We Get Behind Closed Doors

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Intrepid, I understand, its not an exact science, and the case you’re referring to was unfortunate, but perhaps you’re right it might have been something behind the scenes.

You would be amazed at how often that's the case.

It's easy to assume that a member was banned for what was posted in a thread, when in fact what led to the ban was the profanity-laced U2U to a staff member that left no doubt the member had no intention of honoring the T&C.

The policy of not discussing specific cases is one I used to oppose in favor of "full disclosure" as a member, but now that I've had more time to think about it and see what actually does go on behind the scenes, I agree with the wisdom of keeping these things confidential.

We do this not only to avoid unnecessary drama, but out of respect for departed members, who cannot speak on their own behalf.

It's just better to let these things go and move on.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
laiguana

I can assure you that banning is something that is not taken lightly, If a member is banned there is a pretty long processes to go through, Ie, many u2u's , and is discussed in depth with many staff and senior staff,

I guess it’s just a bunch that happened to be on the same thread that you have seen,

People, who are disruptive to the board, go out to derail threads and cause major drama is really not what us and our members want,

[edit on 8-7-2006 by asala]

This was not always the case a while ago on these boards....I had seen bannings for such little things as disagreeing with a members politics or views. I have also seen a process of harassment by the mods of members in the form of warnings and penalties to the point they are just simply banned.

I eventually had to stop posting on these boards for a period of time because of this.

However this is FAR from the case now adays here at ATS....enough members must of spoken out shortly after I left the first time. The days of the over zealous mod is long passed.

Also, you think political bickering is bad now, you werent here then

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
As noted above bannings are always used as a last resort. When i became a moderator I was surprised at not only the discussions that insue but the sheer number of chances people often get before a ban. It is not uncommon to get a 60+ reply thread when discussing the very issue in Cosmic.

Also as noted above, each banning is handled in a condfidential manner. Discussions as to the particulars is not done out of respect to the departed member as well as an attempt to aviod drama on the issue. This kind of stuff is like an accident scene, you don't want to look, but you have too. For myself I would much rather debate the latest UFO sighting or goings on at Area 51 then debate why someone could not simply follow the readliy accesable, easy to understand terms and conditions here at ATS.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
This was not always the case a while ago on these boards....I had seen bannings for such little things as disagreeing with a members politics or views. I have also seen a process of harassment by the mods of members in the form of warnings and penalties to the point they are just simply banned.

I eventually had to stop posting on these boards for a period of time because of this.

Excuse me, calling BS on this one! Or should I say

We as staff are held to the T&C MORE than the membership. That's why ATS continues to grow.

Also, you think political bickering is bad now, you werent here then

Yes, I remember 2004.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
We do this not only to avoid unnecessary drama, but out of respect for departed members, who cannot speak on their own behalf.

It's just better to let these things go and move on.

Of course, but I cant help but get that saying in my head of "Gee, that was a nice guy, I wonder what he did to get banned?” whenever I see a post from that member. But anyway, I still have faith that the staff did what it had to do.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Living Trust

But anyway, I still have faith that the staff did what it had to do.

I know saying "trust us" is anathema on a conspiracy site, and I like to remind members that it's better not to trust us, but rather question everything (though I do ask that people be nice about it).

We don't go around telling people what they should think, and I consider skepticism and suspicion of us -- or any "authority" -- to be quite healthy.

In this case, since we really do need to maintain confidentiality, I suppose there must be some degree of trust that we don't just go around banning people because we feel like it.

However...

Logically speaking, if we really were such jerks, and ran ATS like that, then the smart thing to do would be to leave ATS and never return, because ATS would be unworthy of your participation if it treated members so poorly.

And just so: if we really were so nasty and banned you wrongfully, it would amount to a blessing in disguise, and you would do well to consider it a lesson learned and go on to enjoy any of thousands of other forums on the Internet.

For my part, I would have nothing to do with a discussion forum that abused its members, and I've left more than a few for precisely that reason.

You don't need to trust me, but the fact that I'm here should speak for itself.

[edit on 7/8/2006 by Majic]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
....Well thanks for all the replies. I may have joined the board around a month ago, but I remember visiting these boards a while back. I believe when they had some red and grey looking layout. Anyway I would read through the discussions back then like so...

btw who is atsiscorrupt, s/he was the last one that posted to this thread and I do not see his/her post...

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Because s/he is already on Global Ignore. Once a member is banned they're not supposed to make a new account and come back.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
atsiscorrupt was a returning banned member who registered simply to bad-mouth ATS and make the usual "we are evil dictator" claims when this thread was noticed.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
There have been a couple of incidents in ATS history where there were mutiple bannings, or mass bannings because of some incidents that ended up creating chaos and alot of controversy. Generally back then, the members who were banned were announced as being banned and why.

However, announcing the reasons why stirried up even more trouble and more people creating more drama basically let the board become very chaotic with accusations of every fell type were flying. Discussion was disrupted, and more bannings insued because some members got even worse and more accusitory because of the previously banned members. Claimg conspiracy or mod bias.

This is why we do not announce the reasons why members have been banned anymore. Believe me, it is for the better. ATS was not a fun place back in those dark days, and because of the after effects of announcing bannings and reasons, we did lose quite a few quality members, which was pretty tragic. All because of drama. Somethings on this board are better not known for everyone concerned, especially when knowing really doesnt contribute anything to discussion, seeking truth, or anything in general.

If you are curious as to why a paticular member has been banned, you could u2u a mod or someone else who might know and ask nicely and respectfully. If they do not give you a reason, it could be because it is a sensitive issue that involved only a few people and they would rather keep it secret.

Above all., respect peoples privacy and don't be overly nosey. Some banned members might not want anyone to know why they were banned.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Chinabean, this is the third thread i have come across with you saying just play some world of warcraft. If your not contributing to the discussion why post.

Im curious about the banning, i know of one member that started a complete facade thread and hes still here. the thread even got trashed after about 8 or 9 pages. Now that i see that its a long process concerning multiple u2u's, im assuming he made amends with the mod of his thread and was allowed to stay. Thanx for the info.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Majic, I'm still here despite being more than a pain in the arse a few times during my stay here on ATS. Even in those circumstances I was treated fairly and according to site policy, as such the trust that I personally have for the staff has been well earned and deserved, that is why I also continue to visit ATS.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
The ATS Circle Of Life

Majic, I'm still here despite being more than a pain in the arse a few times during my stay here on ATS.

Oh, I remember those days well, when I first got here. You were quite a piece of work, indeed.

In fairness, I was pretty rough around the edges myself.

In the past two years, however, we've both grown, and if you can forgive the public mushiness, I continue to be thrilled with how you have developed as an ATSer.

Seriously, I'm very proud to have you as an ATS "homey".

Some forums bring out the worst in people, others bring out the best. Paradoxically, ATS can do either, and I see both all the time.

For those who find ATS brings out their dark side, ATS can be a frustrating and miserable experience.

But for those who discover their light side on ATS, there's no better place on earth.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
All I can say is Amen to that, and I don't usually say that very often, but ATS is a great place for everyone whose willing to give it a try, oh and by the way glad to have you as an ATS "homey".

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
With that many Registered Members, there is bound to be bannings. It's unavoidable and a fact of "cyber life". It's all about standards, ATS has very high standards for a discussion board and we enforce those standards to the best of our ability even though we are outnumbered 64,825 to 45.

I noticed lately that even though there is that many registered users, only around 3000 have been active in the last month (or at least that's what it says in the Admin U2Us) so it is 3000 to 45, which is 66 members per staff.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join