It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is every other member banned?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I was going through some old posts and I noticed that every other poster was banned? Is there some kind of ritual banning on this board that I am unaware of?

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   
laiguana

I can assure you that banning is something that is not taken lightly, If a member is banned there is a pretty long processes to go through, Ie, many u2u's , and is discussed in depth with many staff and senior staff,

I guess it’s just a bunch that happened to be on the same thread that you have seen,

People, who are disruptive to the board, go out to derail threads and cause major drama is really not what us and our members want,

[edit on 8-7-2006 by asala]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Sometimes they get banned just for pointing out asala,s awful spelling

Just kidding Dudes.

Really though I have seen some awful slanging matches and insults passed to and fro between members..One only last night wherupon the conversation turned into an insult - fest .Insulting each others IQ.. Wealth..Choice of Restaurant and even Fashion sense..

Childish and ridiculous to read in a serious post about The North Korea situation..
YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE GUYS!!!.

Even then though..last I checked.. they weren,t banned

Posting very bad photoshopped UFO pics and an OUTSTANDING CLAIM TITLE!! is a good way though

One of these and you,re out immediately..

ATS does NOT take kindly to hoaxers.It,s kind of a personal insult

Look at the red WARN stickers on some members names and you,ll get an idea of what is acceptable.. or not

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Shh you lol or ill slap you with my Shoe hammer,

I just been cleaning my keyboard and forgot where all the keys went back, so there still all over the place! lol

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   

When you,ve done yours mine,s next please

One too many late night,s typing next to a glass of smirnoff blue and coke..

Knew I should have left out the coke.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   
SO that's why my spelling is atrocious?

A dirty keyboard- it should be- i eat most of my meals as i type

Why is it some members survive and some dont?
Stick around, you'll find out.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
lol yep i had this great idea after a few beers that instead of brushing the keys with my make up brush to rid the crisps that it would be so much easyer to just take the keys off!

and hover it !

Bad bad idea i know have and O where a P shoud be and an S where an R should be,

Im handing this over to a tech so he can fix it lol

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Well the only time I was banned was when a former administrator made a troll an administrator too and banned every conservative on the board.

Luckly, the error was discovered and I was re-instated and am still able to agree with Ann Coulter around here

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   

A NICE BIG GUIDE PIC FOR YOU

The keys pop on and off so easy..
Had to do mine..AND the contact strips underneath to clean the flikkerin coke out as some of the keys went

pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

as soon as I connected it

Works now thoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Listen To The Banned

It can be quite disheartening to cruise through some of the old threads and see BANNED MEMBER all over the place, especially when its someone you knew and you remember the good times you had.

As Asala pointed out, it's actually pretty hard to get permanently banned around here, and it's not something anyone on the staff takes lightly. After all, once a member is banned, they're silenced, and that's it.

Not pleasant -- even when a member was obviously trying to get banned.

I used to worry that I would make an honest mistake and get banned for it, but now that I see how bans are handled from the other side, if a member gets banned and didn't clearly see it coming, that member was definitely not paying attention.

In the past, ATS didn't use the BANNED MEMBER label, and used to handle things more quietly. As a member, I lobbied for the label, because I wanted it to be clear why a member couldn't respond to a question or whatever.

Now I wonder if that was the best way to go, and if maybe it wouldn't be better to go back to the old way and just let banned members fade away with silent dignity.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Ive been on ATS for about a year now and a member for about six or seven months...and Ive notcied that not as many ppl as you think get banned and generally those who get banned I tend to agree with cause they are just trolling and strarting fights over semantics....ATS has done far better than many of the other boards ive been on. You dont have to be running aroound saying he said this or she said that cuase the mods take care of it. I used to be worried about getting banned but now its like WoW I woudl have to be really obnoxious...kind of like that guy to get banned(points at imaginary friend BoB who is obnoxious as all get out)....I am passionate about what I believe in and come across that way... and thus far it has been cool.... Dont lie....Dont name call...and you dont really have to worry.

So....Mods....keep up the good work on keeping out the Chaff....

Ooo Btw Asala no misspellings cause of dirty keyboard for me just got a new one...OOOOooooo....i luves it hopefully it will last longer than my pervious Keyboard.....keys are all nice and responsive...lol

[edit on 8-7-2006 by Elsenorpompom]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
With that many Registered Members, there is bound to be bannings. It's unavoidable and a fact of "cyber life". It's all about standards, ATS has very high standards for a discussion board and we enforce those standards to the best of our ability even though we are outnumbered 64,825 to 45.

When you set standards but don't uphold them they are no longer standards, they are concepts. Take a look at most discussion boards, chaos and rantings peppered with horrid language that make for incredibly dull reading once the shock value has worn off.

Adding value to the conversation, doing so in a civil, intelligent manner and NOT disrupting the discussion are absolute requirements here. If we allowed those who come here for their own petty egotistical boost to continue to disrupt any conversation they didn't like or present utterly false claims why would anyone with a brain ever come back?

Sadly, keeping the site free of trolls, hoaxers, and social miscreants ends up with the termination of some people's accounts.

Springer...

[edit on 7-8-2006 by Springer]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Yes, there is a ritual banning... On the third full moon of the year, when the coyotes cry and the night owl is silent, the chanting begins... baan him... baan him... baan him...

Nah! Just kiddin'!

One of the reasons I'm here is that ATS is 'different' than every other discussion board on the internet (that I've seen). Other boards either have no rules about etiquette, so people tear into each other and go off topic and argue like children ALL over the board. OR ELSE, the people are fragile and if you disagree with someone, they're likely to get their feelings hurt and then a bunch of them gang up on you (can you tell this has happened to me?
) and you feel you have to leave because now everyone hates you because you're so harsh!

Anyway, people who are used to that sort of thing come here expecting the same thing. And when they start doing their thing, they get notified that that's not the way we do things around here and then they think we should and argue with the boss(es) and start slinging insults and pretty soon the boss(es) get tired of arguing with this nitwit and so
SLAM! The ban hammer comes down.

Or else they simply refuse to follow the rules thinking they'll get away with it.

It's these high standards of ATS that keep me here. If I wanted the boards described above there are thousands out there. But they suck.

What was the question, again?

Oh, yeah, so if you're looking at old threads, they may have an accumulation of banned members. You have to follow the rules to stay around. That's all there is to it.
And I'm happy to do it!

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Well, I have had those same thoughts whenever I’m reading through an old thread and I see members who I remember from he good ol’ days being banned. And one member in particular who I remember very well was banned but I have not been able to figure out why. He wasn't a "troll" nor did he make it a habit to break the T&C’s, so that one is still a mystery to me. And usually if a member does not get banned in their first couple of months here then they will most likely stick around for along time, so that just adds to the mystery of this one case. Say, can someone request to be banned for whatever reason?

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Well, I have had those same thoughts whenever I’m reading through an old thread and I see members who I remember from he good ol’ days being banned. And one member in particular who I remember very well was banned but I have not been able to figure out why. He wasn't a "troll" nor did he make it a habit to break the T&C’s, so that one is still a mystery to me. And usually if a member does not get banned in their first couple of months here then they will most likely stick around for along time, so that just adds to the mystery of this one case. Say, can someone request to be banned for whatever reason?

That is not always the case, we had a long term member banned just a little while ago, used to be a mod. It happens. As to the one you can't figure out, it may have been for something behind the scenes, like abusive u2u's.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
How does one find out why a particular member was banned, when that banned member honestly has no clue?

I have been trying to find out just this, of one. I've tried U2U to the only one that can perform an IP ban, but got no repsonse. I U2U'd the other 2 of the top 3 as well, no answer. I made a post of it on Board Business, but the post was shuffled away to the neverlands.

This particular member just wants to know why, as they truely do not understand why one day to come to the board, but can not even access the domain.

Thanx

NN

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
yeah foo play some world of warcraft, make you feel better

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
You don't. Bannings are never discussed, except between the person banned and the staff. If they were talked about we'd just end up with drama events all over the place.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Many have spoken of the midnight mass that surrounds the outer levels of ATS. In these areas, mods are seen worshiping a statue of Our Creater and the member (waiting to be banned) its taken into the Inner Temple. Screams are then heard.

Some have been lucky to escape from the temple and inform the world of these terrible act. But they, are lurkers, who live in the ye old forest of ATS.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
You don't. Bannings are never discussed, except between the person banned and the staff. If they were talked about we'd just end up with drama events all over the place.

If this be the case, I understand.

What I don't understand, is the lack of response to all of my inquiries to inform me of this. Should I have been privy to this bit of info, I would have never sent an inquiry past the first. It's simple courteousy to reply.

NN

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join