It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jehovah's Witnesses

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 11:21 AM
link   

She won't leave me alone.

Who?

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 11:32 AM
link   
LOL

I apologize for the short post. A jehovah's witness is continually pestering me. I don't mind taking in a little information, but she's gone wild! It seems that she stops by the office once a week. I don't want to be rude, as we've been exchanging information for about a year. For the first 6 months it was subtle, but now she shows up TOO frequently! She's a nice ole gal, but enough is enough. I take full responsibility for allowing this to go on for as long as it has. I don't mind looking through the literature that she provides, but I feel as if she's trying to tear me away from my current beliefs. I have reminded her on many occassions that I'm not interested in converting, but more in understanding. As time goes on, I understand that she's cuckoo. What to do..what to do?

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Tell her no thank you, you like birthdays, Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, etc. and that they should really think of some new marketing tools...

If all else fails, feel free to use the method I mentioned, or even better Skadi's!!! as I remember your pic too!

As you know I'm converting, so feel free to use Skadi's method when I knock at your door!

[Edited on 27-10-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
When they do their door to door recruiting /witnessing /harasing whatever you call it, I invite them in act like Im interested then a bring out my water bong pack a fat bowl and give them a peace offering. That never fails to scare them away.

Hmm, that's something I should try lol.

There are 2 JW's that ride bikes around here and carry their little briefcases....

I use to always see them years ago as well when I'd be getting out of school they'd come by on their bikes on their way to save souls I suppose.

I use to always ask them whats in the briefcase? DRUGS?

Never got an answer just a "Your going to hell heathen" look.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Btw Gazrok made me think....

No way I could be JW cause Halloween is just the bomb.

Sorry but I must have my pagan holidays!

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 08:49 PM
link   
how do Jehovah�s Witnesses explain 1 John 5:7: There are three that bear record in Heaven: The Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit: and these three are one? Or again, how is it possible to grieve the Holy Spirit (Eph. 4:30) if, as Jehovah�s Witnesses teach, He is an impersonal "force"?

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 09:56 PM
link   
One of my real good friends is a JW. He is one of the nicest people I have ever met. He has told me a bit about their beliefs ect, then gave me their mag.

After reading the part where you CANNOT marry someone whom is a different race then you I threw the mag away.

JW's are racist!

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 06:01 AM
link   
The Jehovah's Witness will continue to pester you because you have shown her a slight interest.

Anytime a JW notices your interest, they hound you like swine. I know, I was one for 20 years.

I was disgusted by their stance on Paedophiles (?) , they are told not to report child molestors in the congregations to the police. A child molester could be coming to your door ! JW's report 23,720 CM's on their own 'private' register. Disgusting.

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 07:03 AM
link   

I was disgusted by their stance on Paedophiles (?) , they are told not to report child molestors in the congregations to the police. A child molester could be coming to your door ! JW's report 23,720 CM's on their own 'private' register. Disgusting.

As would any "cult". While they may think of themselves as a Religion...they are not...they are a classic, textbook, Cult. Forgot about the racism, but that is also the case (as obviously, they must not be of the tribes, etc. etc.)

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 08:04 AM
link   
And to believe they call themselves an offshoot of christianity. how can they call their dogma Christian inspired?

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Because they've basically taken one verse from the Bible, and ran with it....sort of like some of the other, more out there sects...

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 08:12 AM
link   
much like the mormons... and moreso like the Catholics

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by secretbuddha
much like the mormons... and moreso like the Catholics

Catholic Bashing.

Heh man we dont knock on your #ing door and tell you your going to hell. I resent that and its religous bashing in the worst way.

Im Catholic and I used to do stuff like change peoples tires and all to show my faith. So I dont really need that. You can go find someone else to start your car..

But really faith is about doing what you belive in. We dont pontificate our belifes on anyone. If Im in a good mood I stilll might change a tire. Not because I want you to be Catholic but because Jesus told us all to love eachother.

Now I agree on teh Mormons and the Jehoviahs witnesses but dont lump Catholics into the same cult.

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 02:41 PM
link   

but dont lump Catholics into the same cult.

True, as much as I have against Catholicism, they do not fit the definition of a "cult". For example, I know many Catholics (including my fiance) who are perfectly permitted to be with others not of their faith. If they were a true cult, this would not be the case...

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Yes, Catholics are not in the same mould as JW's, but lets face facts, any religious group that tries to control its members is wacko.

Catholics tell people that they are the only Church and that you will go to hell if you do wrong... its all rubbish.
They have also got big hang ups over contraception... and their record at covering peado's isnt that good either.

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I grew up with a friend that was a Jehova witness. All other children in the neighbourhood made fun of him. I was the only one to play with him. We had big discussions about religion. I was never talked into it though.

It's amazing how much a man's brain can be controlled. We are what we believe, and not what we really are. And we believe what they tell us, but nobody knows the truth. We are sheep.

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Send em over to my house
every time they knock on my door i invite them in for a good healthy discussion of the facts

im not a christian ..but ive studied religions enough to
know B S when i hear it
the last time one of them got so mad i thought he was gonna take a swing at me

All Religion is B S Folks

Heres the only religion you will ever need
1 Love.
2 treat each as you would like to be treated

[ note to Baptists ..if you wish to join just follow the above ...im running a discount for you ....
===Special=== just send me 5% of your Net income
and i Guarantee you admittance to the afterlife for
you and a loved one to be named by you]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
One of my real good friends is a JW. He is one of the nicest people I have ever met. He has told me a bit about their beliefs ect, then gave me their mag.

After reading the part where you CANNOT marry someone whom is a different race then you I threw the mag away.

JW's are racist!

I think you are definitly wrong there. There will be a few individuals who might have been racist as in all Religions and walks of life after all we are all human beings (Although after reading some articles on the forum some are aliens)

As far as I see it Jehovahs Witnesses are one of the most multicultural religions in the world.
Your quote from the Magazine refers to other "Faiths" and not "Races" - The reason being that if you marry in the "same faith" then you can worship the same God and have the same hopes etc.

One other thing regarding JW's is that they are sincere in thier beliefs even if they seem a bit strange .

Look at this website of other religions to check them against others.

www.godulike.co.uk...

Click on the name Jehovahs Witnesses and check out the "scorecard"

Check out the scorecard on others too I.E your religion etc

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I used to be very wary of JW's, but every one of them that I've met personally have been decent people. However, I do know of at least one real scumbag that is also a jehovah's witness.

So basically I'm going to say that they're like everyone else.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
People People People...

Here's what I do with these semi-literate Morons....

When a JW comes a-knockin at the door at 10am on a Saturday, I let them in, make them a good strong cup of coffee, then.....start playing with their heads.

Slow at first...then a little harder and faster with the odd foreign phrase, then the Greek and the Hebrew can be applied on them.

They don't like it much.

I usually start by asking them why exactly "Jeeezzzizz" if he was a perfect "sinless son of God" was baptised by John the Baptist in the first place.

Any sin to rub away?

And didn't that make John the Baptist AUTOMATICALLY greater than Jesus? Then I throw some of his own words back into their faces and into the mix:

(Didn't "Jeeezizz" say, Is a Disciple above his Rabbi? Is a Slave above his Master? Is it not enough for the Disciple to be the equal of his Rabbi, or the Slave to be the equal of his Master?)
They have a hard time answering that one.

Then I ask if "Jeeeezzzizzz" was such a Prince of Peace, then why did he arm his disciples with Swords on the hill, and exactly how did that slave of the high priest lose his ear, anyway? A Butter knife left over from the Last Supper, perhaps?

They usually start fumbling over themselves by then a little.

Then I ask them how in the heck can Vegetation be created BEFORE the SUN AND THE STARS?

They usually say that Jehovah (their own careful mis-pronunciation of Yahweh or YHWH with the vowells of EDONAI put in) can do anything.

Then I ask them why they still believe in a Firmament ("solid dome") when even a 5 year old knows that there is no Firmament. They usually try to change the subject real fast.

Then I ask them why "Matthew" and "Luke's" genealogies of "Jeeezizz" DON't match and why even Matthew's genealogy has to cheat and cut out various kings of Judah between 690 and 635 BC to make nice neat little cookie cutter groups of 14 (read I Chronicles 3 for another list of Judaean kings).

They usually say that the bible uses the term "begat" figuratively. Or something.

I try to be polite, and nod in fake agreement. I start asking other harmless question any 10 year old might ask.

Then I ask why none of the "Resurrection Pericopes" in the 4 "holy gospels" don't match each other very closely and why there are so many contradictions of basic facts, like Who was First at the Empty Tomb or How Many Angels were there?

They tell me the text may seem a little confused to us---because the "eyewitnesses" (!!!!) were so "shocked" by the Event of the Resurrection (whatever that means) they started stuttering and fell into confusion.

And wasn't it a miracle their "lord" rose from the dead? And I tell them it was a miracle that people have been swallowing this tripe for 2000 years and are still swallowing it hook line and sinker.

Then I casually mention, "but certainly the "accounts" of the "event" were not written down for at least 40 years---plenty of time for them to calm down and get their head straight...."

They look at each other, then both try and change the subject ----again.

Then I ask them how can they believe that the world is only 6000 years old when the fossil record shows the earth to be much older and they tell me that the word DAY in Hebrew is symbolic.

Then I ask them "which Hebrew". They tell me the "original Hebrew of the Bible."

I ask them which "original Bible" and have they ever heard of the Samaritan Pentateuch or the Targums that "Jeeezzizz" used to read the "bible" in his day. They tell me no.

Then they try to "explain" to me ("break it down") that the one "Bible" that they are holding in their hands is the ONLY "true Bible" and didn't I know that Jehovah would not allow his Word ever to faulter, and that I need to READ it every day to KNOW this?

I ask them what family of diverse MSS that "new world translation" is based on anyway. Call it idle curiosity.

They tell me "the latest text research".

I ask them if they ever reador compared their "text" with one of the several versions found in the Dead Sea Scroll Library or if any one of them are able to actually read Paleo Hebrew without vowels.

They tell me no.

I ask them if they know there is a BIG difference between the Dead Sea Scroll manuscript copies of the Hebrew "Vorlage" underlay to the Greek LXX Septuatinta OT translation from Hebrew dated to around 250 BC and the "other later" family of MSS which became the Masoretic Hebrew of the Jews and Protestants today (based on a MS from AD950 or so), they said the differences were very small. I told them the differences were 28% on average and some of them were VERY BIG (like 13 chapters of Jeremiah missing).

They told me I didn't know what I was talking about, and that the Scroll of Isaiah from the Dead Sea Library was exactly like their Masoretic Text today.

I told them one scroll (1QIsA) was close (only 600 differences) and another copy in the same cave (1QIsB) was not very close to the modern MT (8400 differences). They told me I must have been mistaken.

I told them the "church" was trying to cover up that fact for 50 years--which is about as long as it took for the world to see the scrolls outside of the Vatican Controlled Ecole Biblique.

They said the Church had nothing to hide and that all the scrolls were published. I asked them if they had ever heard of Miles Copeland and the Great Daniel Scroll which he photographed....on a rooftop....in CIA colour film....in 1949.....and what happened to the Scroll...and the film...and the negatives...and the dealer of the Scroll of Daniel?

They said they never heard of a Daniel Scroll. I told them to do a little digging around and that they might be surprised what the Vatican is still hidiing behind its vaults.

They said I was a Conspiracy Theorist and that Jehovah would never allow any of his precious scrolls to disappear and didn't I know that?

I asked them if they knew their "bible" was based on the "votes of a few politically motivated "bishops" in the 4th century AD and that some books like "the Gospel of John" got in only by 2 votes and was considered heretical for 200 years. They said I didn't know what I was talking about and that John's gospel was the Inspired word of Jehovah and didn't need votes.

I asked them if they ever heard of the Rabinnic "Council of Jamnia-Javneh" which pushed the Masoretic "Babylonian" recension MT version of the Old Testament on the straggling survivors of the Jewish War in AD 90, and they tell me they've never heard of a Jewish War.

I ask them then how the "Herodian" 2nd Temple got to be ground down to a pound of salt with only a wailing wall left standing, and they tell me the Babylonians did it. The other girl then chimed in with, No Gretchen, it was the Assyrians.

I asked them if they ever heard of Pompey or Titus and Vespasian, or Judah the Galilean or Honi the Circle Drawer and they said no.

Then they gave me one of their "cards" and told me to meet with one of their Pastors, after Church on Sunday and then they tried to get up to leave---while telling me that they would pray for my greater understanding of the mysteries of the Word of the Bible and to be very careful in choosing my words when I describe the person of their Lord and Saviour as "a rabble rousing Davidically driven Galilean Seditionsist who caused riots in the temple during feasts"...

They told me NOT to curse their Lord and Saviour of the world.

I told them that very SAME title was also given to the 12 Caesars including the title "Son of the Gods" and "Virgin Born".

They told me I didn't know what I was talking about and that pagans stole everything from Christians after the fact, and to get my history straight.

I asked them if they knew anything about the Mithraic Mysteries being introduced into Rome via Cilician Pirates in Tarsus in BC 80 under General Pompey who intrroduced the Bread and Wine Eucharist of Mithras more than 100 years before "Paul" ever came up with the idea of feeding that line to the "christians".

They told me they had to leave.....but I followed them out of the door and into the street continuing our conversation. They said they had to go. I told them I had all day, and would they like to go to lunch with me.

They told me not to follow them any more and handed me one of their tracts called "the WatchTower".

Full of anachronisms and faulty quotations and god awful amateur 3 colour illustrations with all the Israelities looking like northern Europeans. I try to explain to them that they've made these illustrations WAAAAY to caucasion...as they get in their car, and lock the door and peel out...

You see people, I PLAY WITH THEIR HEADS.....and I NEVER walk away from them....it's just TOO MUCH FUN !!

Sometimes I walk around our local Mall looking for them (or their inbred cousins the Mormons) on purpose, just so I can have a NICE LONG CHAT with them in front of 3 dozen people all listening in and scratching their head about once a minute ("where does it say that?" "I never knew that!" Is THAT in the Bible?!!).

I play with THEIR heads too...it's fun.....!!!! Just to see that look on their faces !!!!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join