It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Improving and Promoting Politics @ ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Following up on the New Policies for Political Bickering thread... we're just as concerned about providing a quality place for political debate as we are about controlling political banter within conspiracy theory topics.

It's a Political World:
It has become very clear that our current culture and society is an increasingly politically-charged environment. For better or worse, partisan politics and political debate has become a dominant force in news, entertainment, and life in general for many people. While we may not be certain if the end result is better or worse, we can all agree that engaging in the discussion of important issues and ideas is a very good thing.

Politics in The ATS Universe:
From this point forward, the Politics @ ATS board will no longer be considered a lesser suburb of the "ATS City Center", and will take center-stage in a series of new improvement and additions to the ATS Universe.

We will be expanding some of the topical coverage within the PTS forums.

We will be introducing new incentives for members to engage in lively political discussions.

We will be announcing a senior staffer who is to take the lead in helping to manage PTS (that person is picked, we're working out the details).

And, to kick it off...

The PTS "Politics Head-2-Head" Debate Forum:
We will be launching a new political free-form debate series on PTS where any two members can agree to engage on a political issue in a structured one-on-one debate. All it takes is for one member to "challenge" another, the challenge offer to be accepted, and inform the PTS Leader. Your one-on-one debate will be prepared, and you can focus on the initial issue, or diverge in a free-form manner for an agreed upon number of posts.

PTS Head-2-Head Contest: To kick this off, we'll be organizing an initial event with at least ten pairs of members ready to engage on a political debate. When you're debates are finished, a panel of judges will selected the 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place debate pair. This means we're not looking for the best individual member, but the pairs of members who have dug-in and let loose with a compelling and interesting political debate. Winners will receive increased site status, points, and a special "Politics Way Above" award badge that remains in your mini-profile.

More information will be coming soon about the Head-2-Head contest. For now, start thinking about who you would like to challenge... all members are open for the challenge, including staff, so give it some thought.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
PTS Head-2-Head Contest: To kick this off, we'll be organizing an initial event with at least ten pairs of members ready to engage on a political debate. When you're debates are finished, a panel of judges will selected the 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place debate pair. This means we're not looking for the best individual member, but the pairs of members who have dug-in and let loose with a compelling and interesting political debate.

These should be good. "You're just saying that because you're a Bush-hatin lefty/neo-con right-wing nutcase" won't wash in this environment. Political labelling and side-tracking doesn't just undermine conspiracy discussion, it cheapens and undermines honest and analytical political discussion.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Thank you.

Its about time PTS became the focal point when it comes to politics.

For some unknown reason it has been an obscure little place where you get re-directed when the story isnt good enough to be on ATS. LET IT LIVE!!!!!

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The Revolution Starts Now!

There is a cultural bias against politics on ATS.

Many ATSers are disillusioned with the political process, partisanship and the endless cycle of spin and talking points.

Members who are passionate about politics tend to get the short end of the stick on ATS, because ATS was founded to look at topics that lie outside the view of the public eye.

The effect, though entirely unintentional, is that some ATSers are being punished because they believe in something and want to do something about it.

In response, PTS was created to give members a place to share their desire for political discussion and analysis, but it has languished, thought of by many as little more than a political gulag.

No more!

Politics is the conspiracy hidden in plain sight, and to ignore politics is to ignore that which changes history. Around the world, every day, politicians plot the course of the human race and pursue goals both noble and vile.

To ignore what they do is to ignore the great events of our time, and the time has now come for the ATS community to acknowledge this.

Demand Excellence

We have discussed the role of PTS publicly and privately, and debated where PTS should fit in the ATS family of forums.

Now, I think we've got it.

Our goal is simple and attainable: to make PTS the best political discussion forum on the Internet, bar none.

No longer will PTS be considered the "bastard stepchild" of ATS, because from this point on, we are committed to making PTS the one place on the Internet where not only is every political point of view welcome, but we are going to give PTSers the best environment for sharing these viewpoints -- taking full advantage of the knowledge and expertise that has made ATS the best conspiracy board on the Internet.

The plan is simple, really, and what ATS has always prided itself on: give the members what the members want.

The Politics Head 2 Head forum and contest are just the tip of the iceberg. Radical changes are coming to PTS, including many features that have until now only been available on ATS.

These changes will take time, and Rome wasn't built in a day, but it's the dawn of a new age.

There won't be any holding back now.

PTS is about to become the best place on the Internet to discuss, analyze and expose politics both global and national, and we're going to tear into politics with the same zeal with which we've torn into conspiracies.

Prepare to be impressed.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
In case you haven't noticed by now, Majic has been promoted to "Super Moderator" and has been given the daunting task of spearheading the effort of turning PTS into as good a place to discuss politics as ATS is to discuss conspiracies.

If he doesn't burn out, this should be good.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
cool wtg magic, a curiosity how does one become a mod anyway ?

and a great idea for pts hopefully it helps to ease a little political tension we have been seeing around here.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   

We will be announcing a senior staffer who is to take the lead in helping to manage PTS (that person is picked, we're working out the details)...Majic has been promoted to "Super Moderator" and has been given the daunting task of spearheading the effort...

Heaven help you Majic
So should I go ahead and send you this case of 1921 tequilla now or do you want me to wait a week or so.

Umm congratulations I think? You've either done something very good or very bad to deserve this promotion or punishment.

I'm certainly looking forward to the new changes.

Spiderj

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Good luck, Majic. I am afraid you are going to need it to ride heard on this bunch of fractious hellions, myself included. Again, good luck.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Majic gooood luck
I'm sure the post counts in P@ATS is going to go through the roof

Cheers

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Yeah, this is good to go! PTS should be for politics.

Sporty

EDIT: congtrats on the promotion MAJIC

[edit on 7/7/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
...But Hopefully Not "Duper"

If he doesn't burn out, this should be good.

If I try to do this all by myself, somebody please slap me upside my punkin head.

For those wondering, the story of how this all came about is pretty funny, really, but I'll save that for another time.

Obviously there's a lot to do, and there's just no way in hell anyone could do this on their own. :shk:

While it's cool to get to run around trying not to trip over my new cape ("I'm Captain Majic, Defender of Political Justice!"
), I think my most important role will be to work with my fellow members to make sure that PTS becomes a truly fun and exciting place that is worthy of the high standards we all expect.

Seriously, it's whole new ballgame.

A Matter Of Attitude

Of course, nothing like this can happen overnight, but my change in attitude did take place overnight (last night, in fact), and now that I have imagined what PTS can be like, I'm thrilled at the prospect of spending most of my time hanging out there.

Considering how cynical I tend to be about politics, I offer that as a hint that PTS is going to take on politics like no one else ever has.

And anyone who finds that idea intriguing is welcome to join in the fun.

If You Build It -- Well, First You Need To Build It

PTS has a solid foundation based on ATS technology, but I'm sure everyone can agree it's missing something.

That something is us.

The reason it's missing us is because we are rather finicky about where we post and what we talk about. I mean hey, we're ATSers, we expect the best.

So what would attract people -- even people who otherwise can't stand politics -- to go to PTS and talk politics?

Something no one else can offer: the genuine ATS touch. That special twist, that peek behind the curtain, that element of mystery, that certain something.

A campaign beanie made out of tinfoil.

On PTS, we're going to talk politics our way, and our way means leaving no stone unturned and no question unanswered.

No scandal is too touchy, no reputation too sacred, no policy too moot, no opinion too radical, no point too trivial and no angle too obtuse to be explored.

We're going to tear politics a new one, folks.

That Special Someone

Obviously, I have plenty of grand ideas for PTS, but they aren't worth a hill of beans if they aren't what you want.

So I'm going to be hanging out on PTS a lot from now on, and I'm going to be asking a lot of questions, polling members frequently (did I mention we're going to have lots and lots of polls on PTS?) and making sure that as it takes shape in the coming months, you're getting what you want.

Of one thing you can be sure: it's going to rock. Bigtime. I promise.

Naturally, it's going to take a while to evolve things the way we want, so please be patient. I don't expect everyone to go running over to PTS right away. Nope, not yet. :shk:

The one and only measure of the success of PTS will be the level of interest it generates. Don't let me get away with doing a shoddy job.

Vote with your feet. If PTS doesn't interest you, then you have no obligation whatsoever to participate there. I promise I won't take it personally if you feel that way.

But as things start to take shape, and things start to heat up on PTS (and they will, I guarantee it), I'm betting that you're going to want to check it out.

And watch out! You just might get hooked.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Oh so this is what the upgrade to Super Moderator was for Majic, congrats!

Im throwing down the gauntlet to any one who wishes to debate me in the PTS head to head contest.

Are we to U2U those we wish to challenge?

Great changes, great additions, thank you team

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Congratulations Majic!!! Very awesome! I can't wait to see what you will bring to PTS. I am going to second that shipment on the tequila. You should be recieving it any day now

Went ahead and did my shot of tequila before I dive in!

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
About bloody time.

PTS might finaly be headed on the right track. If I wasnt suffering from intermitten access to ATS I would love to take part in the first head to head contest.
Cheers Xpert11.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
WELCOME ABOARD MAJIC!

Majic has been both a thorn in my side (the first few days he was in the "council") and a trusted confidant and cyber friend to me, personally, ever since.

You see just like politics and ATS, Majic and I did not understand each other until we spent three or four VERY BUSY DAYS working at understanding each other.

That's what I see PTS needs, lots of work it's GOOD work though. Anytime we increase our understanding of each other and the contemporary issues we ALL are dealing with nothing but GREATNESS can come form it. The relationship Majic and I have today is testament to that fact.

Politics is huge and it's unavoidable, it IS Humanity's attempt to govern itself and grow as a species at best, and the root of most evil at worst because of the power it imparts to those of us Humans "join the game".

Somewhere in between the worst and the best is the TRUTH and after all Denying Ignorance can only be done when the TRUTH is available to REPLACE it.

Springer...

[edit on 7-7-2006 by Springer]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Congratulations Majic. That new cape looks stunning on you.

I wish you luck in getting things rolling in the new forum and if you need me, just holler.

wupy

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Mano A Mano

Originally posted by Springer
Majic has been both a thorn in my side (the first few days he was in the "council") and a trusted confidant and cyber friend to me, personally, ever since.

I'm sorry, do I know you from somewhere?

Yeah it was a real hoot when I became the new DISC Councilor. Upon taking office I quickly appointed myself the new DISC sheriff (when I wasn't railing incoherently about Liberty and Self-Determination in the Council forum) and was going to clean up this one-horse town.

Well, turned out Mayor Springer warn't too happy with that none.

After knocking heads for several days, you get to know a guy, and it's no coincidence that after I got a clue about what Springer and the staff are really like that I became a die-hard ATS fanboi.

He's probably going to kill me for saying this, but behind closed doors, our gruff, no-nonsense business guy is actually quite nice, easy to get along with and has a wicked sense of humor.

But you didn't hear that from me.

Hooten Holler

Originally posted by mrwupy
Congratulations Majic. That new cape looks stunning on you.

I wish you luck in getting things rolling in the new forum and if you need me, just holler.

Thanks! The cape is cool, but it's kind of a hassle when I need to duck into the restroom real quick.

Meanwhile, if I started hollering right now, would that be too early?

Naw, we'll be okay. We already know this ain't no one-man show, podnuh.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
I'm sorry, do I know you from somewhere?

When he showed up on the top floor of the ATS TOWER, I over heard my rather astute secretary screwing with Majic thusly...

"Let me see... 'Majic'... mmm... and you're with....?"
(read like James Spader on "SNL")

Naturally I allowed it to go on until Majic had completely recited his resume, in 7 languages, PERFECTLY, to her and she was simply awe struck and allowed him to pass into the Business Command Central (or "The Bar" as we call here at the Tower).

Springer...

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
WOO HOO Majic, you da politics man

Good luck, wear the cape well!!

From DISC Sheriff to PTS Board Leader.....you've come a long way baby

Best of luck guiding PTS to its right place next to ATS, as a honored sibling instead of stepchild

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Can you imagine Majic conducting a fillibuster? You just know he wouldnt need no damn Bible for that one!

Any word on the official etiquette of challenging a fellow member to a PTS head-to-head debate? U2U's can be ignored, I'd like some form of "or are ya' chicken?" thrown in there some how

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join