It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the most invaluable state in the US?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   
What is the one state that, if lost, would hurt this country the most?

All 50 & Washington D.C., not just mainland...

I'll withhold my opinion until the thread is rolling.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Texas!

Kelly AFB, Fort Hood etc.

Port of Houston, Aircraft/military mfg in Fort Worth, DFW airport, etc.

20 people (16 million of them legal citizens!)

Just funnin' ya! EVERY state in the union is integral to the proper functioning of the republic. We couldn't do without any of them.

I heartily predict that this thread will boil down to an argument over population:

NYC really is a "world capitol"
California is much of our tech and population
Illinois is the buckle on our commerce and ag production belt; biggest airport, etc.

this'll be a hoot!

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   

EVERY state in the union is integral to the proper functioning of the republic. We couldn't do without any of them.

I disagree. Pretty much everything west of the Mississippi (or 'Ioho' as I like to call it) seems redundant to me. I know people have attachments to their state, and pride in 'their' particular landscape - but really, c'mon...

Nearly half the country is practically unusable, desert and scrub. There's beauty, but if we're talking about integral to the functioning of the republic...

I don't know if there's one state that's invaluable though...

I'll have to think on that. Maybe New York? They've got the greatest city in the world (IMO), ocean frontage, as well as an abundance of fresh water farther upstate - good productive economy that spans numerous industries. It's a good bet in my book, for sustainable living.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Michigan, connects several of the Great Lakes, is the Motor Capital baby! Great woodlands up north, great fishing and vacation spots, has every sport available from the Detroit Lions and Detroit Tigers to the Detroit Pistons and Michigan International Speedway.

Without Detroit where would our Car Industry be? Although we did produce Michael Moore... But that isn't our fault.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

Texas!

Texas is to small. Alaska is where its at. We have been up here protecting everyones backsides. Military bases everywhere.

Just kidding - I love teasing Texans about their little state.

We are one country. Loosing any state would be bad. They each have their own part to play in what makes this country tick.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

I disagree. Pretty much everything west of the Mississippi (or 'Ioho' as I like to call it) seems redundant to me. I know people have attachments to their state, and pride in 'their' particular landscape - but really, c'mon...

Yeah, that's the sort of sentiment I'd expect from any non-reflective posters in "New England."

You want your oil, and your food, but you don't want to think about where it comes from.

Nor can you imagine that anyone else enjoys a lifestyle dissimilar from yours. Some people like hunting, fishing, and a view of the horizon uncluttered with smokestacks and some burned-out warehouse district. We also like rivers you can drink from, or at least fish in.

But never mind any other opinions; just keep telling yourself that its THE REST OF THE COUNTRY that's occupied by narrow-minded bigots.

Yes, yes by all means. Stay right where you are; there's certainly nothing to see down here . . .

Happy Trails.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Definately the most valuable state. It's tiny, but can take any other state in a fistfight.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Obviously New York.

New York City is the most important city in the U.S. and one of the top three in the world, including London and Tokyo.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Im Eastcoast
but I still have to say California. If California was its own country it would still be something like the 7th largest economic power in the world.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I would have to guess Alaska for unspoiled natural resources.

Sadly I feel one day that clean water, clean air and tillable soil may be what we value
the most.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Arkansas.

We gave you Bill Clinton!

That does go into the plus column doesn't it?

(Ducks and runs)

wupy

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Actually Virginia is probably more vital than Washington D.C.

While the " known " government may be headquartered in Washington D.C.
there are a temendous number of high level military and high tech industrial
headquarters in nearby Northern VA.

The Pentagon, CIA, Homeland Security, Defense Mapping Agency, FAA, USGS, Freddy Mac, Sallie Mae, Mt. Weather, AOL, MCI, Mitre, Booze Allen, SAIC, Northrup Grumman, Ratheon, Unysis, Symantec, Dulles International Airport, just to name very few.

This area has become Silicon Valley East, but with very strong ties to the government.

Loudoun County is one of the fastest growing regions in the country
with less than 2% unemployment.

[edit on 2-7-2006 by FallenFromTheTree]

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

I would have to guess Alaska for unspoiled natural resources.

Sadly I feel one day that clean water, clean air and tillable soil may be what we value
the most.

i would agree. alaska is a nice place, grizzly bears and salmon. that would be fine
. other than that i would say Arizona for the painted desert and grand canyon of which one day i would like to visit.

yet over all i would rather Canada as a whole over the USA.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Im Eastcoast
but I still have to say California. If California was its own country it would still be something like the 7th largest economic power in the world.

Absolutely it would be CA. I'm not from CA, but know that it has the largest economy, it is THE largest agricultural producer in the US, is a cultural center of the US, lest not forget the wine!

CA is also a major producer of defense and military equipment (Lockheed, Northrop Grumman)

CA has 3 major shipping ports: San Fran, LA, and San Diego

CA has several National Parks: Yosemite, Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Sequoia

CA is the technological center of the US: Silicon Valley

Plus many more reasons I'm hesitant to continue naming for space sake. We have to face it, California is the most important state in the Union.

(And I'm from Colorado, so what does that tell you? I could'nt recognize CA unless absolutely necessary

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I can't argue that California is not important but those guys are doomed for a catastrophic event.

Between earthquakes and Yosemite's caldera, it's not exactly a safe place to live.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Pragmatist Centrist much better run down on CA then I did but I fully agree

FallenFromTheTree could very well be right about CA. I just the Yellowstone volcano doesn't go off for a few thousands years that would be a massive blow to the Western US and Canada, Atomic war level of death and destruction very scary

Earthquakes unless its the "Big one" CA can handle IMO

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
some people say that the state of israel is called state because it is really another state of america, cannot remember who said it. it was either jordan maxwell, or texe marrs.

if you think about it, if true than israel would be the most important state of america, if it is a state of america.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The worst thing I could imagine is a direct hit by a nuclear bomb on either the weakest point of the San Andreas Fault or directly into the center of Yosimite's Caldera.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

I can't argue that California is not important but those guys are doomed for a catastrophic event.

Between earthquakes and Yosemite's caldera, it's not exactly a safe place to live.

I beleieve you mean Yellowsyones cladera, which is roughly 1700 mils away from me in southern cali. But you almost scared me. lol.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Doh! I do believe you are correct.

Even so, from this map, it looks the West Coaster's are pushing their luck!

[edit on 2-7-2006 by FallenFromTheTree]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join