It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Widespread Depression Conspiracy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   
There has been a starling surge in the number of chronic depression sufferers within the last 15 years.

Is this just because the media is taking time ot report on the issue more, advents in the pharmacutical industry and anti-depressants, or :

Is the current state of world affairs more to blame for this outbreak?

I'd love to hear your opinons on this issue.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:43 AM
link   
its hard to say really. maybe because all forms of depression are becoming more widly accepted as an illness and not an excuse by society and media alike, so there for becoming more reported.

I suppose we have to take into account of presciptions etc that we get from the doctor a few of them can actually cause depression in some people.

i think the higher number of reported depression cases can be attributed to many factors life style, more of a recognized illness, other prescription meds, state of the goverment (that would make anyone depressed). as for being a conspiacy? hmmim not entirly convinced but you never know

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Personally, having been "touched" by depression myself, I cannot help but feel that the rise in the statistics of depression is due to a variety of reasons. First, and perhaps foremost, is that, in the past, depression was simply not reported. It was called malaise or melancholia. Another reason is that doctors were, perhaps, reluctant to label a disease which, until recently, was not readily treatable.

Thank god for breakthroughs in pharmaceuticals and in cognitive behavior therapies and dialectical behavioral therapies. A lot of people, throughout the ages, have been greatly misunderstood not only by the medical profession but by the general public as well. For too long, people with depression have been told to "pull up their socks", "get over it", "just do it". Besides infuriating and frustrating the sufferers of depression, such adages are worthless.

Depression, for the most part, appears to be due to irregularities in the amount and transmission of serotonin in the brain. It's a chemical imbalance NOT laziness or someone's lack of desire to perform. Furthermore, depression is often accompanied by other disorders such as ADHD, acute anxiety, PTSD, insomnia (why do you think I'm on ATS?) or, conversely, too much sleep (not my problem).

On the horizon, there are some very optimistic treatments being developed, most notably a new, experimental treatment that involves deep brain stimulation using magnetic pulses. Recent testing of this new therapy in a number of medical facilities across north America have shown extremely promising results. Sufferers of depression might take note of this as the preliminary findings of this type of therapy have been nothing short of amazing in the treatment of chronic depression.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I think part of the reason for the increase is due to the confusion caused by the shift in consciousness that is happening during the end of this dark age. There is a very noticeable "quickening" (as I call it) going on, and because so much is changing so fast, depression is a result. We fear change more than anything, even if it's for the better, but once the transition becomes closer to completion we will realize more and more what is happening and the depression will be replaced with understanding.

Namasté,

StickyG

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Well, I think it's for two reasons, really.

Depression, and to some extent mental illness in general, is not as "taboo" as it was in the past. More and more people are coming out and saying, publicly even, that they are suffering from it. People are now seeing that a psychological disorder, due to advancement in research, is a chemical imbalance and not things like demonic possession or some rare unfortunate event a family has to deal with. I once picked up a book written in the 1950's that described mental illnesses as "insanities of the mind". I think that attitude(not to mention misinformation) led the general public to believe that someone suffering from the mildest form of depression was a psychopathic lunatic who should be locked up for the rest of their life. Now it's just like, meh, I'm feeling pretty down, some therapy and meds will fix that right up!

The second reason is almost a backlash of the first reason. It's almost so acceptable now that we are being over-medicated as a society. I'm bipolar myself so I definitely appreciate the usefulness of meds, but it seems now a doctor will write up a prescription for just about anyone having a bad day. Multiple prescriptions even- I was at a point where I was taking 4 different meds at once and I felt like a zombie. Now I'm managing well with just 2 at much lower doses. Sometimes I think people overlook therapy as a viable option because it's long-term and they want a quick-fix. In my humble opinion, of course.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I was reading an article about the rise of mental health problems in the UK...my personal opinion is that the increasing numbers relate to our standard of living in the west and also our consumption. I think the higher the standard of living, the more we indulge ourselves, the more people will become depressed. This of course with the added, perhaps in some, suconscious guilt of knowing that our lifestyles are at the expense of many starving or underpriveledged people on the Earth...the majority of people!.....I bet most people in the third world don't have time to even think about being depressed.....

And also I believe it is what we are consuming as well as how much we are consuming. Household chemicals, pestacides, anti-depressants....all that exposure to toxic substances I think has lead to rises in almost all kinds of diseases, especially cancers, diabetes, learning disorders. I think perhaps it could also be linked to depression.

just a few thoughts ....

Dae

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I was wondering if you did mean chronic depression or major depression. Did a bit of reading on both and it seems like chronic is less sever and not as common as major depression. In fact my spidey senses tell me that it could be possible that chronic depression may be biological, like a virus or bacteria - many sites claim that this depression is extremely resistive to treatment.

Source - PDF file

Approximately 26% of individuals with major depression also suffer from an underlying chronic minor depression (Keller, Hirschfeld, & Hanks, 1997; Keller & Shapiro, 1982).

Individuals with major depression superimposed upon chronic minor depression have a poorer prognosis than those with episodic major depression in terms of lower recovery rates and higher risk for relapse and recurrence (Keller & Shapiro, 1982; Keller, Lavori, Endicott, Coryell, & Klerman, 1983; Miller, Norman, & Dow, 1986).

So its possible that a % of people are suffering from something that is beyond them, in terms of biological infection, however, the mental health world is gunning for personaility trait (which is possible but not the only possibility).

Now, if it was Major Depression we are talking about, Im all for blaming the world at large. We are not nurishing the planet or ourselves, we are in an invisible slavery system full of ignorance and fear. Its enough to do anyones head in especially when they believe that this society is a "natural progression of our human activites" as opposed to "a deliberate hateful system designed to enslave us".

Its can be confusing and very easy to blame ourselves (or each other), heck we have rows and rows of pop psychology books telling us its our fault. I believe humans run on auto-pilot until we are ready to take over and for the most part we dont know how to or dont realise we can. When on auto-pilot are subconscious runs the show and we are prone, no driven, to addictions be it drugs or our own emotions.

I sincerely believe that evey conceivable problem or barrier that we encounter has a solution staring us in the face on this planet. Be it firguring out the science of gecko feet to the transformation of caterpillar to butterfly - all the amazing possiblities of matter alone!

My conclusion is this, people for the most part are just trying to get by, they are not hateful, greedy, violent, depressive in nature, this isnt who we are. Truely, look at battery farm chickens then compare to free range, then compare to wild chickens, they all behave differently in the different groups. This is us also, while we are on auto-pilot.

Is this just because the media is taking time ot report on the issue more, advents in the pharmacutical industry and anti-depressants, or :

Is the current state of world affairs more to blame for this outbreak?

So yeah, Im voting on all those reasons and any more you or I can think of!

Dae

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
I bet most people in the third world don't have time to even think about being depressed.....

All of what you said I agreed with completely. So many external variables out there could cause all sorts of mental and physical health problems.

The bit I quoted from you is the bit that stood out though. It stems from the old saying of "pull your socks up" and statements like, "in the old days no-one had time to be depressed".

I think I know whats being confused here. "Time to think about depression" verses "no time", the depression is still there whether you are starving or have a full belly. I can see how having time could make matters worse but extreem poverty cant help either! Just my thoughts.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
I'd love to hear your opinons on this issue.

Things happen in people's lives that they didn't know would. Divorce, cancer etc. Couple 2 or 3 events together one after the other and people are overwhelmed and that is when depression sets in. Once depression hits it's a battle for the rest of your life.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I have been suffering from chronic depression since my teens.

For me, it has nothing to do with the state of the world. My depression is not externally generated. If the world was a happy fairyland of delights and love and peace, I would still be depressed.

I personally have found anti-depressants to be ever so helpful. Prozac, mainly. I suffer no side effects, and instead of it making me happy, it balances out my moods and alows me to function on a day to day basis.

However, I think anti-depressants are overprescribed. Temporary or situation depression should not be treated with anti depressants, as those conditions are not caused by physical and chemical problems in the brain, but outside influences.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
if you're using anti-depressants, i suggest you take a look at the following

www.lightparty.com...:

has a bit of political background, but it shows what was available before prozac - a simple amino acid... dunno if there's any chance to get it in the US, though... just my 2c

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   
There is a variety of factors and when you are dealing with depression trying to pin them all down is often akin to trying to shovel smoke IMHO.

Some factors to consider:

The diagnostic techniques are more refined and the definition seems to be much broader IMHO.

There is much less stigma with the disease than in the past thus many who in past years simply lived in this agony now feel comfortable seeking treatment. Please do not forget that this disease and its effects are real and the suffering people go through (along with families) is brutal

However getting medication for depression should never come from a GP but rather a MD that is qualified to prescribe them. ALot of the problems surrounding the drugs are related to inapropriate choice and administration. If you own a Ferrari, do you take it to a Ford dealership for service?

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
There has been a starling surge in the number of chronic depression sufferers within the last 15 years.

Welll.... I'm not a medical professional but I believe the following factors are the largest contributors to this problem.

1.) Professional Victim Mentality Popularized - Nothing is anyone's fault anymore. There's always someone else to blame, and instead of touting the values of responsibility and correcting bad situations, our children have been taught for the last two decades to declare themselves a victim of circumstance and to lay the blame elsewhere.

2.) Not drinking enough water - As stupid as this sounds, water has an enormous impact on our bodies. We're something like 80% water. Dehydration can lead to serious mental problems. What percentage of the people you know still drink 8 glasses of water per day? Maybe 10%? Whereas in the past ones non-alcoholic choices were usually limited to water, milk, tea, coffee, or juice, and sodas were the occasional luxury, we now live in a culture where many people go days without a single glass of water.

3.) Lack of Exercise - As technology advances, the amount of work we do decreases. People are in the worst shape ever. Bad health = bad mentality.

4.) Too much free time - If you're busy, it's hard to be depressed, because you don't have time for self-pity. Too much free time = boredom. Boredom transmutes into depression pretty darn quick.

S'what I thinks anyways... I need a drink.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I think the drugs for depression carry more risks then being depressed. The problem I have with depression is that though more people are depressed these days mostly due to stress. This stress is ussually unnecissary the sooner people realize life is not always going to be fair to you, and that someone else always has it worse then you do. The sooner people can get over this unproovable psuedo disorder.

The only reason why it is on the rise is that doctors these days have become nothing more then pill pushers for the pharma industry.

Oh your having a bad day must be depression....Here this Zoloft may make you psychotic and or suicidal but it can make you cheery too.... gimme a freakin break.

If my doc told me i had to go on anti depressants I would simply say 'sorry I do not feel like becoming a mindless drone'. People are just idiots and hypochondriachs these days. Deal with your damn problems whatever they may be instead of supressing your emotions with a pill.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   
There is a diffrence between people that have a problem and people that dont. If you
have experienced an imbalance in your chemistry, Im sure you wouldnt feel that way.
It is a real problem that lots of people have, just like someone who has more muscles, another may have better brain chemistry. Its a mechanical thing plain and simple.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   
"There is a diffrence between people that have a problem and people that dont. If you
have experienced an imbalance in your chemistry, Im sure you wouldnt feel that way.
It is a real problem that lots of people have, just like someone who has more muscles, another may have better brain chemistry. Its a mechanical thing plain and simple."

No it's not a mechanical thing you brain is not a muscle not does it have moving parts. As for chmical imbalances do they stick needles in your brains and extract it's complete chemical make up? I didn't think so....

I'm sorry if I can control my emotions better then you can I really am. Everyone has problems and stress as i said life is not always fair. Everyone has problems it is a part of the human experience.

They have a pill for everything these days and since big pharma won't release their studies publically well then you have to ask questions. Corperate money funds almost all research in the medical field.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   
IF they did stick needles in people brains and test chemistry there would be
something missing. I cant believe you would try to tell me that this illness is
manufactured by the brain !!!!

How can you possibly experience something with out walking in the shoes ?
You cant !!! Dont tell me otherwise. And yes it is something that is broke.
But I cant explain something you dont understand, just because you cant
see it dosnt mean it isnt there.

You are not as special as you think, you are at the mercy of your genes.

[edit on 29-6-2006 by imbalanced]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I've always thought the cause might be predominantly environmental -

These day, so much comes so easy, we have so much "mental free time" and constantly bombarded with images on television reminding us of various maladies and their "cures" -

Not to mention what seems like a supersaturated solution of wry jokes and condescending humor running rampant through popular entertainment..it's a rather bleak perspective to introduce into the mind during an alpha state while watching television..

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
"IF they did stick needles in people brains and test chemistry there would be
something missing. I cant believe you would try to tell me that this illness is
manufactured by the brain !!!!

How can you possibly experience something with out walking in the shoes ?
You cant !!! Dont tell me otherwise. And yes it is something that is broke.
But I cant explain something you dont understand, just because you cant
see it dosnt mean it isnt there.

You are not as special as you think, you are at the mercy of your genes."

"I cant believe you would try to tell me that this illness is
manufactured by the brain !!!!"

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I highly recommend a book named 'Future Shock' by Alvin Toffler.

[edit on 19-12-2006 by superpaul55]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join