It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army Charges 3 Soldiers with Murder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Been breaking news here for a couple of hours.

3 101st soldiers have been charged with the murder of 3 detainees in Iraq last month

US troops face Iraq death charges

Three US soldiers have been charged over the deaths of three male Iraqi prisoners, the US military has said.
The detainees were allegedly killed in an operation near the Thar Thar Canal near Tikrit in northern Iraq on 9 May.

The charges against the three soldiers include murder, attempted murder, conspiracy and obstructing justice

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
It pisses me off if this the trial goes thru and they actually did this.

Crimes are happening aganist Iraqis by Americans. Not as nearly as many as some love to post.

And the Al Qadea terrorists just blow up cars with no murder charges to be seen, because they answer to no law and hide behind religous zeal. (But is just evil hiding.) These car bombs for some reason are not seen as massacres?

At least there is a process on the American side to weed out losers and hands out justice as fairly as they can, as killing civilians that did no wrong is horrible. Some will doubt this process, and that is ok. When has Al Qadea brought up murder charges on themselves for killing innocent civilans? I wonder.........

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   

The soldiers committed a crime, they have to face the punishment for the crime. They are not exempt just because they are american.

And the Al Qadea terrorists just blow up cars with no murder charges to be seen, because they answer to no law and hide behind religous zeal.

and also because if a member of Al Qadea kills an american soldier he does not then turn himself in to face trial. This is a war, killing takes place without murder trials, it is the very essence of war.

and this was not a casualty of war, if the accusations are correct this was probably a cold-blooded execution performed by three racist marines.

When has Al Qadea brought up murder charges on themselves for killing innocent civilans? I wonder.........

our laws hold no weight over there. You can try to cuff them but i dont think you will have much luck. no one is against putting them on trial, its just not possible to do.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Daedalas you must have read my post wrong.

And you have already convicted them! Whew good legal system from you.

Look I said

"It pisses me off if this the trial goes thru and they actually did this. "

Which means from me....I am pissed if it really happened. If they are convicted of the CHARGES. Then they deserve to go to jail etc. BUT they are CHARGED with crimes. I never said they should not be exempt becuase they are American.
If they are CONVICTED of the CHARGES then I will be PISSED that stupid people KILLED INNOCENT PEOPLE. I am glad they are charged when enough evidence gives cause for prosecution. But please do not convict without a trial, as that make you look ignorant.

Either you can not comprehend complex thoughts or you are can not read my post well.

In the Al Qadea car bombs I was making a point on how they kill INNOCENT CIVILIANS with car bombs as a tactic and not as an inqfrequent incident as the USA. I never mentioned them blowing up US soldiers, and you took it on yourself to interpet it that way.

The distinct difference I was making is

AL QADEA blows up innocent civilians with car bombs to advance a cause. And not to target military objects on most attacks. When they KILL INNOCENT civilians they do not feel compelled to prosecute in house to get the people out of the organization for killing innocent people.

And if the US solidiers kill civilians at least we go to court and get the jerks out if the evidence supports the claims.

That was my point.

Maybe I am more clear!

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
There is a big difference between combat fatalities and shooting unarmed civilians.

One is war, the other is murder.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warpspeed
There is a big difference between combat fatalities and shooting unarmed civilians.

One is war, the other is murder.

Absolutely - it's a key difference and one that any serving soldier should be very aware of.

Beyond the basic facts we don't know much but it does show that the US Army is taking the matter seriously. Previously there was the impression they weren't investigating / taking such matters seriously.

Hopefully more details will follow and justice will be seen to done.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by daedalas
This is a war, killing takes place without murder trials, it is the very essence of war.

Exactly, and that's why this case should be thrown out of court. They pump these soldiers up for killing when they send them into the field over there. Give a man a gun, and train him to kill, and that's what he'll do. It's war; and there's no such thing as a clean, fair fight. Anything goes.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
zerotolerance I have to disagree with you about throwing this case out of court. These are Americans not insurgents. If it was an insurgent that had murdered 3 people then that would be just typical. But when an American does it is just plane wrong because their bad actions reflect badly on the whole of this damned occupation. Any American in uniform who murders people is both a threat and a traitor to his country. I think its good that in an environment where any soldier might become tempted to become a little wild with the odd machine gun; that these legal cases set down an example that lays down the law.
In Britain a bunch of soldiers were recently cleared of manslaughter on the grounds of lack of evidence. As a mini conspiracy I wonder if bringing these people to trial was intended to boost public support our troops actions; precisely because they would be cleared. But one thing I know is that regardless of whether or not they are convicted it still sets an example.
Of course it would be better for everyone and everything (accept domestic opinion) if the only ones brought to trial were the guilty, and once more convictable ones. But it's not an ideal world is it?

No matter how pro war, or pro troops you may be; you cannot have a situation where ether are men are wasting bullets murdering civilians, or once more making the whole insurgency thing even worst.
I.e. If you lived in Iraq, lost a parent or sibling to the invaders actions; wouldn’t you be tempted to pick up a gun and just shoot (certainly within those first few days of grief)? Because that's what will happen if our troops aren’t disciplined by both law and training; after all what’s the point in training if there’s no law to back it up?

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
ok then let me repost

me as well, the line between the US and militant Islam is thinning.

And the Al Qadea terrorists just blow up cars with no murder charges to be seen, because they answer to no law and hide behind religous zeal.

Islam is like a lens over their eyes, they dont see murder or slaughter all they see is the champions of god striking at evil with divine justice.

When has Al Qadea brought up murder charges on themselves for killing innocent civilans? I wonder.........

kinda the same thing as the last, they dont share our laws or morals.

better?

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
It should be noted these are the first 3 prisoners of war that have been killed by troops while under US custudy. The perception of coarse is that the US kills prisoners all the time, but it just points out how perception and reality are two different things when it comes to Iraq.

The soldiers should be held accountable if guilty.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Are you sure about these being the first prisoners kiled?

It seems remarkable that in 3 years of occupation there haven't been other cases.

Certainly I recall people dying in Abu Ghraib but AFAIK no-one was charged with their deaths.

This and the other case do seem to indicate a change in attitude by the DoD or the US Army/Navy

top topics

join