It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Accuse Bush Admin of Manipulating Scientific Research

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The Union Of Concerned Scientists has analyzed the current administrations efforts and actions regarding scientific progress, and found some very scary developments. They have found not only a lack of support of good science, but an atmosphere of ignorance, that promotes further ignorance. They have seen the same scientific downfall before... in post war Soviet Union.

www.wired.com
The Union of Concerned Scientists in a February report pointed out something the science press has known for years: The Bush administration has no respect for science. Ideologues prefer to make up the laws of nature as they go.

Presidential science adviser John Marburger complained that the UCS's account sounded like a "conspiracy theory report." That's because it is one. As the report amply documents, the Bush administration has systematically manipulated scientific inquiry into climate change, forest management, lead and mercury contamination, and a host of other issues.

When politicians dictate science, government becomes entangled in its own deceptions, and eventually the social order decays in a compost of lies. Society, having abandoned the scientific method, loses its empirical referent, and truth becomes relative. This is a serious affliction known as Lysenkoism.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Trofim Lysenko held the top post in Stalin's Soviet agricultural science field, he was a nut that held back soviet scientific agricultural progress until he was finally replaced.
The union of concerned scientists does not make this connection lightly. They refer to this type of science as pseudoscience, and they are afraid of its application in so many current situations. They worry that the USA will eventually fall behind every other civilized country in scientific progress. They all hold that scientific problems, require scientific answers, not political ones... I wholeheartedly agree.

Related News Links:
democrats.reform.house.gov
www.americanprogress.org
www.scientistsandengineersforchange.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Gagged NASA scientist warns: Ice Caps 'Melting Fast'
Rewriting The Science: How the Bush Administration is Lying to You!
Bush Science Advisor: "Intelligent Design is Not A Scientific Concept"

[edit on 14-6-2006 by LazarusTheLong]

[edit on 14/6/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I wholeheartedly agree. When politics steps into the middle of scientific research and study, science becomes corrupted by the same ethical hazards that threaten our government as a whole. While at the same time I do believe that scientists should not necessarily have a free for all, with the abandonment of standard ethics. This is a problem, that I feel has been addressed quite late in the game. Even stem-cell research has taken such a place in the political platform of this country, that the true science behind it is usually ignored for the use of political gain.

Good find!

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I accuse the news media of dumbing down America. [edit] d'oh, didn't mean to submit that yet.

The media and television is responsible for dumbing down America. Newspapers are written to a 5th grade level of education, TV just glamorizes that most lurid headlines or topics without any real balance. You have FoxNews spewing right-wing rhetoric and the networks spewing left-wing rhetoric. There is no truth in news, it is all entertainment. It is this kinda thing that makes people think Kevin Federline and Paris Hilton are worth listening to.

Blah, I am about to take a sledgehammer to my TV and move the Alaskan wilderness (eathquakes and all) and just let the whole damn world rot.

[edit] Yes, I suppose I am a bit fussy today. But there, I've said it.

[edit on 14-6-2006 by Marid Audran]

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I think it is a mixture of things. Its the entire way the system is run. The media, the government, education. It seems like all it comes down to is whats best financially. Educated people isn't financially productive, in fact its bad for profits. So is it any surprise they want people to be clueless? Clueless people dont speak out about poisons in food. Clueless people dont speak out about money being stolen. Clueless people speak out about what celeberty had a baby this week.

That my friends, is a dangerous place to live.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
What I'm seeing is a clash between those that know, and have been taught it also, that we create reality ourselves with a lot of 'scientists' who are for whatever reason not as aware of that facto. And it's not only that they are not aware of it, they actively lend their beliefs towards not a warning about what could happen but more a massive thoughtform of 'we're overdue the following disasters and here they are:'.

Now if it were as clear-cut as that then we'd be ok - we could get the peeps in charge that know they create their realities to talk to the science types, and maybe show them how their minds are the major keys in the equation -

but sadly it's not quite like that. Because - the ones that know they create their reality are in the clutches of - mad religions. And are they following a line that tows one particularly destructive interpretation of Gods Plan? Yep afraid so.

So together they combine to kill Gaia and make life not much fun for any of us.

Ox

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Hang on... It took scientists to figure this out?

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I think the following quote from the article speaks of something that has not only been fostered by this administration, but of many others,

When politicians dictate science, government becomes entangled in its own deceptions, and eventually the social order decays in a compost of lies. Society, having abandoned the scientific method, loses its empirical referent, and truth becomes relative. This is a serious affliction known as Lysenkoism.

Wonderfull article and by this I also means it's language: beautifully written. It's been awhile since I've read something with such poetic flourish, and for the good !

Luxifero

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Ed, i get ya... (manifestation of reality- got it)

And it is true, that scientists have been a bit "sky falling" lately, but for the reasons they outlined...
And yes, if they remained more hopeful, and openminded to opportunity for solutions, then it would alleviate some of the issues somewhat...

but firm book science is the best base line we have at this point, and we aren't even meeting that goal... far from it...
we have entered fairytale magic answer land led by our political "yes men" and that is one concieved reality that leaves no room for progress.

Firm empirical science (the kind the rest of the world uses) is no longer the staple of American education... and its main opposition is our president, and this administration.

Our administration has actively tried to ignore sceintific problems, or if addressed at all, they are handed to the religious squad, for religious answers... (i.e Creationism debate)

This is the reason that the Masons were formed... this is the reason that Galileo hid his advancements until the Church lost power...
This is why not much of anything good occured during the dark ages...
and we are going back...
I wont say quickly, as that would be a "sky falling" remark, but we need to be aware, and change the direction of progress here...

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I would think that this is something that has been known for some time and it does not bode well for America's place in the scientific world. Ideologues are dangerous (and usually stupid) despite which side they lean.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Maybe we need to form another masons type group, to preserve true science in secret, until it will be safe to emerge into the light again...

Hide it from the religious extremists, that would destroy it, and hide it from the politicians, who would misuse it...

and wait for the dark ages to be over...

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I have a friend, who is a scientist, working out of Puerto Rico at the moment, she tells me all proposals for her field in microbiology are shot down by this government. Needless to say, the scientific community is not very happy. Whatever happened to science and advancement??? Is it we wont be needing it, what with the NWO and all? Is it just plain ignorance?! That's probably the reason.

Dae

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
Maybe we need to form another masons type group, to preserve true science in secret, until it will be safe to emerge into the light again...

Yup, there would seem to be a conspiracy against science. Religion was the last tool used against it, now its Capitalisim. As it is, especially in America, coporations have corrupted absolutely everything. Corporations plunder the earth, poison our food and air and pretty much holds back humanity. Imagine science unleashed! No economic reasons for holding back our research and exploration - my mind boggles!

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I would not blame the religious rights alone, is more money involve in here that is coming from private interest and corporations in the health care and anti- environmental groups with big interest than anything else.

Manipulation and deception to keep practices the way they are right now equals big money making.

Remember people our nation is rule by big interest and they care less about finding cures for diseases, fixing the environment, keeping religious groups happy or making our lives easier.

Is all about money.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Well, i think there is one thing that should be allowed to hold back science...
and that is more science...

Scientists are also subject to the various insanities that confound us, and a Mad scientist would be a bad thing indeed...

There should be rational limits to scientific progress, but assessed by scientists, not politicians...
based on danger, not fear of educating the populace...

an uneducated superstitious populace is far easier to and control, and trick, than an educated rational one...

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
From what I have seen and read, the Bush administration is doing a poor job of appointing people to the various oversight boards. You read about the appointee in the FDA being able to almost single-handidly over-rule the majority consensus. Or the jerk who thinks menstrual cramps in women are either richly deserved or all in their heads. Moreover, there have been many threads on ATS decrying the administrations attempts to curtail attendance at meetings & symposiums or of silencing the voices of government scientists.

I can dismiss or overlook the occassional isolated report, but there have just been to many such reports for there not to be some truth to them. I will compose an E-mail to my various representatives in congress asking them to look into the matter.

[edit on 14-6-2006 by Astronomer70]

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Or in the other education branches, ...
history for instance... it is also being overlooked in appointees...
(those that dont learn from history, are doomed to repeat it)

they interviewed the HEAD OF THE FBI, and asked him if he knew the differences in the various types of muslims (shia, suni, wahhabi, ect)
he didn't know the difference at all... he knew there were differences, but not ANYTHING about what made them so...
not even the extremist version, wahhabi, that even BUSH knew about...

and astronomer, i dont always agree with you, but i admire your last line...
"will write to your representitives"

you go there stud
... that is the kind of action that actually changes things, and not just whines about them...
I challenge all to do that...

[edit on 14-6-2006 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer70
From what I have seen and read, the Bush administration is doing a poor job

Boy you have that right!!!

Mod Edit: Quote Tags.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
*SNIP* Entire Thread Post Quote

REPLY: I would advise everyone to go to sepp.org, read as much as you can, then form your OWN opinion. Almost 10,000 scientists around the world think glabal warming is caused by Solar activity and water vapor, not humans.... forget the links, above, and actually READ some of what the majority think, and can back up with science.

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
The Union of concerned scientists is known to be very left of centre politically. That does not mean that their comments on science in general have to be political but that they often are. In terms of science it is usually controlled by funding or supranatural bodies which in many cases have nothing to do with the white house. I can see that the white house may want to squelch them sometimes but the scientists like to play politics when they want to also. It is becoming tit for tat it appears.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
It IS interesting to note that so many of the "scientists" and "scholars" who blame global warming on humans (Americans in particular) have the most to lose from government grants.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join