It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underground Base In Guam?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Not that this is probably a great secret to anyone but I was discussing the B-2 and military service my dad served while overseas. He talked about how when he was in Guam, that the B-2s took off from runways that were IN the mountain. I found this to be pretty intriguing, does anyone have any information about that? Any links?

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Mountains? Guam?

I'd say they have a real challange just hiding the mountains. The highest point on the island is Mt. Lamlam at a whopping 1,334ft (407m). Any underground base in the area is just as likely to be below sea level.

That said, there are small caves all over the place.

On the serious side, go to TopoZone and poke around; they have a decent on-line USGS topographic map of the island (Terraserver and Google are useless here, it appears) and maybe you'll find what you're looking for.

Also, USGS has a list of every known and named feature on Guam.
3_FID:1390246:YES"" target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Try this link and if it doesn't work for you (it may be session-specifiic), go to the GEONAMES server and do a search.

[edit on 3-6-2006 by rand]
Hmmm...funky URL: it previews OK but won't post. Go striaght to geonames.usgs.gov... if you're interested.

[edit on 3-6-2006 by rand]

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Hmm.. I'll have to talk to him again when I see him. Thanks!

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Then again...I checked again and found tons of references to the "mountains" and "southern mountains" of Guam.

Odd. My own father mentioned the "hills" when he visited Guam in the 60's; it must be a relative thing, since we were at that time living on the flanks of the Lompoc Hills, which are somewhat taller than Guam's tallest "mountain".

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
There's a runway on Anderson AB that ends at the edge of a cliff. When planes go off super heavy, they drop down where you can't see them for a few miles, because they drop below the cliff. Maybe that's what he was talking about.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I thought I heard about aircraft landing and taking off in mountains during the war, but I don't remember if it was Guam.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
wasnt there a luftwaffe base in Germany where the runway was mostly in a mountain?

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I never thought guam was big enough to possibly have an underground base of sorts. Is that even possible? I always thought it was a small island out in the Pacific. I passed through there after nam but was only there for about 8 hours. Did not get to see much. Is there anyone that can enlighten me on whether or not that's possible. I know the bare basics of the japanese on it in WW2 but am pretty uninformed on it otherwisw.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
You're gonna LAND into a mountain tunnel too?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
No underground base that I'm aware of. I've been all over that crappy little island. Only time I ever saw a B-2 was at Andersen Air Force Base sitting inside a hangar.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyingFox

Rumor is that Taiwan has a number of bases built into the mountains in case the Chinese attack. They practice taking off and landing from them all the time.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
You have to always take underground bases for modern aircraft with a grain of salt. In the 70's, there were rumors of the underground complex for the SR-71's at Kadena AB in Okinawa. It supposedly got started when they were rotating aircraft between Kadena and Beale and one of the returning aircraft had a maintenance problem and was parked outside the hangars overnight. Up to that time, only 4 aircraft had ever been seen at the base and were usually kept in hangars. Suddenly, there were 5. So locals began to speculate that there must be more aircraft kept underground.

Of course, some GI's love to start and spread rumors and other GI's who don't know any better, continue them. Several of us were standing around Beale one rainy day and watching and SR flying a pattern around the base. One guy said he didn't think they could fly the SR in the rain. A TSgt, in a serious tone said they could, but when it returned to the hangar, they had a bunch of guys wipe down the entire aircraft with towels. None of us corrected him.

And a guy I worked with at RAF Lakenheath used to tell people that we would use the IR on the Pave Tack Pods to watch the women undress on the top floor of the Base Hospital. Anyone who knows anything about IR knows that a pane of glass is like looking at a solid wall unless something is actually pressed up against the glass to change the temperature.

Bottom line, don't trust eveything you hear. But there are underground facilities all over the world. I went into one at the Kuwait International Airport in 91. There were passages wide enough to drive two vehicles side by side and numerous rooms on either side. The room I went to was being used as an armory.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

That is a fact. Also, the cliffs on that end of the island are about 200=300 feet high, and it's an absolute sheer drop! But it's really beautiful at tarague (tear-ah-gee) beach !

new topics

top topics

active topics

join