It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   
You can find a link to this movie here.

This movie was filmed by an Irish documentary team who were in the right place at exactly the right time.

They were making a documentary about Chavez when the US-inspired coup was mounted. For students of political conspiracies it is prime source material. The buildup to the coup is carefully recorded, as is the media distortion of the events surrounding it.

It leaves you in no doubt that the coup plotters used snipers to kill Chavez supporters (who were demonstrating peacefully): many of them died with clean head shots. When Chavez supporters fired back at the snipers, the opposition media edited the pictures to make it look as if the pro-Chavez faction were shooting at opposition protesters.

It clearly shows the coup's new Attorney General dissolving the representative government, firing the ombudsman, and metaphorically tearing up the constitution of Venezuela, all the while, claiming a people's mandate.

It also shows how the coup collapsed and Chavez returned to power. It's very moving - a brilliant piece of reportage.

See the movie and ask yourself if Bush could move around the US unprotected the way Chavez does?

He has a lot of courage. Watch this as an antidote to the propaganda.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I'm so glad you posted this, there's so much anti-Chavez propaganda here in the U.S. Chavez has done alot of good things for Venezuela and IMO, is valiantly fighting the U.S. to protect his country. I think that the U.S. should be trying to befriend him, rather than trying to kill him.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I like him, from what I've seen. He comes across as very straight. Colin Powell and George Tenet come across rather badly in this movie. Powell can't help displaying some displacement activity as he lies about Chavez, and Tenet... well, he doesn't have to lie, because, with a smirk worthy of George W. himself, says that "Chavez doesn't have the interests of the United States at heart."

Well, nor should he, cretin. Chavez should have the interests of the Venezuelan people at heart and he certainly seems to. For all the opposition hysteria, they have yet to provide an example of Chavez murdering anyone, or of any state censorship. The documentary forms a consistent picture with a variety of other sources showing that the TV and print media are almost exclusively controlled by an oligarchy that wants to go back to the good old days when they were the only ones to profit from the nation's oil wealth. Chavez does not repress their distortion and hate-mongering, no matter how much they provoke him.

He's probably the only politician in the world for whom I have a soft spot.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Thanks for bringing this, rich23...

Coups and conspirators is meat and potatoes for ATS and I'm sure this thread will get lots of debate going.

I'll be watching the movie and the thread as it develops.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Good stuff; gives a different perspective about Chavez work.

Dae

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Absolutely brilliant footage that, thanks for sharing it. The main feel I got from that film was how real it was, actually watching a coup in action without hollywood in the scene. The part where they (chavez followers) are in the palace watching the opposition say "we are still in complete control" - priceless.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
There are those who would demonize someone else who makes them look bad.

For instance, this past winter when the heating oil crisis loomed in the U.S. Chavez offered free heating oil to the poverty stricken residents of the northern areas of our country. He didn't have to do that, but he has a heart. He knows what poverty does to people and he knew the oilmen who run this country were much more worried about lining their pockets than they were about the possibility of poor people freezing to death.

I'd say this speaks volumes about the man.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Yet another example of America criminally manipulating another nation to fit their prefference. Pretty disgusting. Good program.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by specter_smoke
Yet another example of America criminally manipulating another nation to fit their prefference. Pretty disgusting. Good program.

Why is it that every film made outside the U.S. that demonizes America is automatically assumed to be correct? We're not perfect and nor do we calim to be.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
No, but do you remember a complete broadcast of the incident from the US side? Nope. US media will show the typical 5 to 10 second clip of the most violent part of the report... and only report on that.

Hence, with foreign news, theres ALOT more fact and hard evidence to sway your oppinion.

I usually tell myself : If I have a beef with the way everyone else does something, chances are it is I who has done it wrong... same applies here. If everyone immediately trusts foreign news before trusting american news... chances are, theres something wrong with american news.

Its hardly unknown that the US media is horribly biased.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Yes, and is it not equally possible that foreign news agencies are equally biased?

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Oil and the Bush Families need for power and money........

A great great piece of video footage! Many thanks for sharing dude

If any ones about to watch this footage, when you get to about 26 minutes in watch for the very American looking agitators in the crowd!

CIA maybe?

[edit on 21/5/06 by MadGreebo]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rightwingpatriot

Yes, and is it not equally possible that foreign news agencies are equally biased?

Firstly, they were independent film makers from Ireland. If you have a reason for thinking they were biased please state it.

Second, the US - despite denials - was involved with the coup. Why do I think this? Let me see.

1. the US was the only country to recognise the coup government
  2. the US had a warship off the coast of Venezuela and radio traffic was monitored connecting it with the coup generals
  3. those involved with the coup went to Washington shortly before
  4. Chavez had video of the coup plotters meeting with CIA agents
  5. the US stood to gain from the coup
  6. it's SOP in South and Central America for the US to overthrow governments that "don't have US interests at heart", which often involves killing the Premier. See Chile (9/11/74), Argentina, Brazil, Panama (1960)... the list goes on and on

Your media keeps you from knowing this. Ours doesn't. Bias? I report, you decide.

[edit on 21-5-2006 by rich23]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I didn't say the filmakers were biased...that I don't know because I've never seen the film. I was responding to another reply. But it's a given that a lot of news agencies are biased toward their government's agenda or point of view. Not always the case but it does happen. Just a little reminder though....all bad traits of human nature aren't American-made. We're just as crooked as every other nation. Each country looks out for it's own gains, and does what is in it's best interest. Right or wrong, it does happen.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   

I didn't say the filmakers were biased...that I don't know because I've never seen the film. I was responding to another reply. ...We're just as crooked as every other nation. Each country looks out for it's own gains, and does what is in it's best interest. Right or wrong, it does happen.

I knew you hadn't seen the film, yet there you were shouting bias. Why didn't you watch the movie first? And your original post implied bias very strongly:

Why is it that every film made outside the U.S. that demonizes America is automatically assumed to be correct? We're not perfect and nor do we calim to be.

And I would suggest that the historical record demonstrates that for the past century or so the US has been just about the most crooked nation on the planet. The UK had its empire (and empires require a vile mind-set and some unpleasant activities), but that was overt. The US has a covert empire... 5% of the world's population doesn't get to use 50% of the world's resources by coincidence.

Would you like a list of the countries whose governments have been overthrown by the US? This would be the wrong place to have such a discussion, frankly.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Hmm.....your apparently not an American so let me ask you this:
Which of the following two countries are you from?
1.) A country who's * we kicked? or
2.) A country who's * we saved?

Mod Edit: Circumvention of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/21/2006 by Gools]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
How about "a country in whose democratic process you have interfered to the detriment of the population"?

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   
oh...in that case your welcome. We do what we can.

But next time a modern day Nazi army marches across europe we'll stay at home at let you deal with it.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I think you should get back to the topic, frankly, rather than admitting to and rejoicing in your country's lack of commitment to democracy and national sovereignty. You still haven't attempted to resolve the contradictions in your previous statement - you say the film demonises the US without having watched it. If you want to make that kind of statement about a movie, surely you should look at it first? This is, after all, a forum for debate. It is as well to check your facts before launching into error.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 11:34 PM
link   

I didn't say the filmakers were biased...that I don't know because I've never seen the film.

Then what are you doing other than disrupting this thread?

What? You afraid of watching it? Might sway your opinion the wrong way? Why don't you put your obvious pre-conceptions asside and decide for yourself.

Then everybody can get back to the topic. Which is the film and the evidence it presents.

Speaking of which, I saw it when it was released. It ran here in Canada and I'm pretty sure the BBC ran it too. Can't recall if it has been aired in the US.

If I remember correctly it won some international awards for documentary film. This isn't hollywood and it certainly isn't "biased". The pictures from inside the crisis in the presence of Chavez and high government officials (inside the presidential palace!) speaks volumes. It really has to be seen before passing judgement. Imagine a film crew inside the White House on 911.

All in all an excelent piece of journalism. They deserved their award and they deserve our thanks for briging us footage of what happened that day.

[edit on 5/21/2006 by Gools]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join