It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incredible creature encounter last night w/ audio clip! It might have been killed by helicopter!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jiffy
As an audio engineer, this is a clear answer. It is really cool and entertaining to see how beginners put together their work though
I give him a B :p

i say D-

My cousin could do better the first day i showed her my audio suite...
this guy obviously has a pretty good collection of sound effects... just doesn't know how to use them...

To any others...
dont bother to post hoaxes..
they are rarely even entertaining, and always worthless...

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
LOL!!!

Yeh, right... oh look, a pig! In the sky!

Those gun shots sound ridiculously fake. If you were near the chopper or the rifle, the audio would have clipped horribly.

Nice try though.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Is it possible for someone to convert the movie and upload it, preferably in a Quicktime format? Cant see it..

And it sounds so good... lol

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I think I heard a cow somewhere in there too!

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
now that I think of it i heard those same sounds in the xbox 360 version of call of duty

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Talking of X boxes, is this part two of the 'win an x box' thingy?

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
You know it would have been kind of fun if i was presented as a story. Too bad he tried to say it was real, not just another bad hoax. For the crimes committed on this board, the Great ATS you shall be banned. Or stoned to death your choice.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   
You know, when I heard the thing growling on the audio recording I could tell immediately something was fishy. But when the machine guns appeared I could tell that was very "star-wars" like. Good try..... I mean this is a real conspiracy discussion board. People like you are the ones who lower the reputation of these great forum sites. Have fun being banned from ATS.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
And the BS award of the day goes toooooooooo!!!

Come on people.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6
+plus 1 to that,i think i can speak for everybody here also

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
hey, i enjoyed it, but do you really think we were born yesterday? this thing says fake from the first sound
you should have posted it as believe it or not? so you don't get banned...

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I want the last five minutes of my life back

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Man....That wasn't even a GOOD fake. The scream was to short. If a little girl came to the back door to see a creature standing there, she would let out more than a 2 second scream. Not only that it would be followed by some other comotion, such as MORE screams or her parents rushing to see what startled their little girl. Then the tree! Come on! It sound like you had the microphone taped to the tree! It was obviously a well sampled recording from something. Certainly didn't sound natural at all! And then the helicopter is just suddenly over head? You don't hear it comming in from off in the distance.

If you're going to fake something, at least try to pull the wool over SOMEONES eyes by doing a decent job. I hope nobody was dumb enough to fall for this. Of course in the first reply to this thread, someone said it gave them the goosebumps. Jeesh!

[edit on 15-5-2006 by MrChipps]

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
we got some drama in this thread (and i love drama)

if this poster is a "hoaxer," let him / her be dealt with accordingly...

if not, and the poster used that audio product to enhance the audio (i am not an expert), let him / her stay on ATS...

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
EDIT ....Never mind

[edit on 15-5-2006 by Tiloke]

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   
theres not even a dispute about it, people called my finding a hoax but even I can say this a hoax I say we stop posting because hes sitting down watching his points build up,laughing at us argue about it

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Although the general feeling is that this is an obvious fake, I'll post this amateur analysis anyway. Some of the points have already been pointed out, and acknowledgement to each person who noticed it first.

1. This is not a traditional “recorder to PC” file.
The stream is in “perfect stereo”. This only confirms that the clip has in fact been edited or enhanced.

This shows the two channels from time 0:03 to 0:11. A mono-stream (which one would expect from a standard hand-held recording device) wouldn’t have 2 different channel waveforms.

2. Comparison 1 – Dog A
DogPart1.wav - Sample Time 0:04-0:06
DogPart2.wav - Sample Time 0:10-0:12
DogPart3.wav - Sample Time 0:16-0:18
All 3 barks are of from the same dog a couple of seconds apart, and are exactly 2 seconds in length each.

Normalized Frequency Analysis between the three barks.

Yellow = Bark1
Red = Bark2
Green = Bark3

If you take a careful look you’ll see that a Frequency analysis of the three sample clips shows exactly the same frequency. It is actually so close to each other that you can barely see the red line and green line. Also – interesting enough the dog’s bark is exactly 2 seconds in all 3 instances.

3. Helicopter and police car
Sample Time: 1:12 to 1:27 Sample was noise reduced and wave amplitude reduced.
Helicopter2.wav
Concerning the “approaching” helicopter sound: It does “appear” as if from nowhere.
It arrives – in the sample clip at approx. 0:02 and takes 6 seconds to go to “full amplitude” i.e. at its closest to “the recorder” at approx 0:08 seconds. No amount of amplification revealed the sound of a helicopter prior to 0:02 seconds.
Again it was lovely stereo. On my 5.1 surround sound it actually sounded as if the helicopter was circling me.

We can say the same about the police car. (Policecar.wav) Sample Time: 1:27 - 1:37 with noise reduction. With the police car it’s even more obvious. The siren comes out of nowhere. We all know that the sound should be distant and become louder as it approaches. No rocket science. Interesting enough, as the vehicle comes to a stop with screeching tires, the siren still goes louder as if the car is still approaching. And we have screeching sound but no sound of an engine? Surely when a car goes fast enough to create a screeching sound when it brakes, we should be hearing an engine hard at work?
Also note that at approx 0:03 seconds (of the sample clip – (tires.wav) there is again screeching tires – not only don’t we hear the car approach but we also don’t hear the sound of an engine. Just screeching tires. Funny that.
(If you can’t hear it, let’s add a low frequency filter. This is at the 1:39 mark. tires2.wav)

4. Automatic rifle
Sample: Automaticgun.wav
A simple comparison between the two bursts of automatic gunfire leads us to believe that they sound exactly the same. They are both exactly 1 second long – on the millisecond.
A frequency analysis (comparison between the 2) shows that they are again exactly the same.

We can argue that a gun would most probably create the same sound each time it is fired?
Interesting enough the sound of the gunfire is louder than that of the helicopter – especially if the shots were fired from the helicopter as claimed?

If I can make a personal comment on the second set of shots (supposedly that from ground forces) which may be that of a handgun, reminds me of the shots you would hear in those old cowboy movies.

Edit:Formatting

[edit on 16-5-2006 by Gemwolf]

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 01:17 AM
link   
5. The growl and the scream.
Sample time: 0:35 - 0:56 GrowlScream.wav with no filtering or noise reduction, we get to hear 3 things. A growl, a scream and a falling tree. Our recorder “bumps” into the creature. He (DougJohan) does not make a sound or say a word. We know from other similar videos etc. we’ve seen/heard that people are usually inclined to swear. But we won’t hold that against Johan. Maybe he’s the strong, quiet type.
Secondly we get to hear the crystal clear growls of the creature. Exactly how close was this creature to the recorder? The maximum sample value of the growl is 32767(this is the highest value on the wave bar) with a peak amplitude of –1.72 dB compared to the maximum sample value of 26606 for the dogs (and a –3.8 dB amplitude). And the girl screaming at the top of her lungs? She reaches a maximum sample value of 32767 and peak amplitude of –0.86 dB. What does all of this mean? He had to put the recorder right in front of the creature’s face to get that high volume…

Here we see the dogs barking alone at the red A, the growl at the pink B, and the girl at the blue C. Point is, the growl is surprisingly loud.

Another thing that we notice when we hear the creature, is that he is quite fit. Apparently he’s running from the authorities like there is no tomorrow, right? Yet, when we hear his low growls there is no deep breathing. He is not out of breath. He must have been working out.

At no point to we hear approaching (running) footsteps, nor when he (the creature) departs.
Which brings us to the falling tree. (TreeFall.wav) What do we hear? A huge tree falling over. No doubt about what we’re hearing. But do we hear the creature running towards the tree, hitting the tree or any of the branches? No. We only hear a falling tree. Surely if you hit a tree with enough force for it to fall over there’ll be some sort of “thud”?

6. Conclusion
What can I say? My opinion: The software used is quite remarkable. Our user a bit of an amateur. The sounds are inconsistent. Some sounds are too loud compared to other sounds that are too soft. There are missing sounds, like the sound of running, breathing (both from the recorder and the creature) and more footsteps. Some of the similar sounds (like the dog barking and rifle shots) when compared are exactly the same length in time and result in exactly the same frequency analysis. The sound clip shows qualities that make it suspect, such as stereo sound and a “Made with Sonic Foundry ACID 4” comment in the file’s properties. Some of the sounds are amateurish like the last couple of gunshots and screeching tires. I am without doubt that this sound clip with the story presented is a hoax.

Edit: Formatting

[edit on 16-5-2006 by Gemwolf]

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Well done Gemwolf.
As they say - "The defence rests, Your Honour"

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Well, I was going to say it didn't sound right, but after Gemwolfs posts not much else to say about that.

Excellent work Gem.

Now I can see how bad it sounded. lol

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join