It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ps3 price announced

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 01:20 AM
link   
www.scei.co.jp...

499.99 version:

- No built-in Wi-fi
- No HDMI port
- No Memory Stick slot
- No SD card slot
- No Compact Flash slot
- 20GB hard drive

599.99 version:

- Includes everything including HDMI port, built-in Wi-Fi, 60GB hard drive, etc.

sony has lost there freaking mind if they thinkl I'm gonna pay 6 hundred bucks for one of there systems.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 01:33 AM
link   
If enough people think the way you do, it will show as slow sales. When that happens, the price will drop.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Agreed, I think they have just lost the battle with this price.
I am sticking with 360/PS2 & Xbox until price drops.....alot

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
PS2 was like 5-6 bills when it first came out as well. Consoles, on average, have been coming down in price(adjusted for inflation) for quite a while now. For those with cash, it's quite reasonable as a comporable computer can run in the thousands. My last computer cost me 6 hundred for instance. It's not a glorified toy you know, it is a computer designed to play games and contrary to myth and popular belief, Sony and MSFT lose money on each and every unit sold. They make their profit by selling games.

For MSFT if you add in the Wireless controller adapter, the price becomes comparable to the PS3(the 5 $ adapter costs like 100 bucks I've heard)

Consoles blow anyway, I'll stick to my PC thank you very much!

[edit on 9-5-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Just wait until after Christmas. They know there's a lot of rich kids who, come November/December, will be demanding a PS3 for christmas, and will get one. After christmas is gone, most peoples pockets are relatively empty, and then we see the gradual decline of the price.

Thats what I'm hoping....but then again, I can see myself selling my liver/lungs/left arm come november, having watched the conference last night. Metal Gear Solid 4 will be worth whatever the PS3 is going for

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
PS2 was like 5-6 bills when it first came out as well. Consoles, on average, have been coming down in price(adjusted for inflation).....

[edit on 9-5-2006 by sardion2000]

sorry to tell u this bud, but ps2 was 5-6 bills when it came out, even adjusted for inflation. It was 300 dollars on the day it came out here in the US, are you tellin me that inflation in 6 years has doubled that price?

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The premium(2 contollers plus 1 game) was 499.95 USD when it first came out. I remember, I bought it when it first came out.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
No way will it run that high, that notice is for the Japanese launch, those systems always sold for more.

I predict it will be the same as the 360 in the States. Their primary customer these days is 18-30 males with a little disposable income. But they still need the younger market whose parents buy it for them, and they will lose that almost entirely with a 500-600 price tag. A parent will uprgade to a decent PC instead for those prices.

You read it here first:
$299-$349 and $399-$349. Not a penny more.

I dont think consoles will ever be priced more than 50% of the cost of a decent PC. It simply makes no sense and the manufacturers know that.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Wasn't Xbox 360 $500?

It seems to have no trouble selling.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Wasn't Xbox 360 $500?

It seems to have no trouble selling.

Not even, $299.99 for core, $399.99 for premium...

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
PS3 is gonna bomb. And I say that in a completely non-fanboyish way. First its way to expensive, even with the amount of hardware and second there will be supply shortages, even with the high pricce. So I think your gonna see a lot of hoarding then selling on ebay for quadruple the price

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
The max price the auctioned PS3's go for will tell us if the M$ or Sony fanboys are stupider...or at least richer and more impatient.

Anyone know what the average price the 360's went for on ebay was? I'm betting the PS3's exceed that by, ummm, 25-30%.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I'm a BIG playstation fan I'm going to buy it and it is better than the xbox360. The games on the xbox360 just don't look that good sorry.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by El Che
I'm a BIG playstation fan I'm going to buy it and it is better than the xbox360. The games on the xbox360 just don't look that good sorry.

I believe you meant to say "I'm a BIG playstation fanBOY..."
jk

That's the thing I don't get about all the hardcore PS fans, they will insist till they are blue in the face that the PS3 is better, but the system isn't out yet (so they've never played a game on it). Hell, Sony hasn't even finalized the hardware from what I've read.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the PS3 is better than the 360 (even though the 360 is a very nice system from what I've seen), I hope it "pwns teh n00b"! But I refuse to swallow every bit of market BS Sony tries to shove down our throats.

Only time will tell which system is better, and it will still be someone’s opinion, and based heavily on the software, not the hardware. There are things Sony will do better, there are thing M$ will do better. There will be things the Wii does that the others simply can't. Keep an eye on this site to see who comes out on top as far as number sold. 3.8 million is a pretty big lead, most estimate a 5 million console lead for M$ by x-mas. If Sony can't get a decent number of PS3's built AND meet their Nov. deadline they are gonna have a hard uphill climb at that $600 price point in 2007 (at x-mas people will overpay for the hot new toy, that could really work in Sony's favor, but unless they are a lot further along than they seem, they will never get the system out before x-mas, no matter what they claim, they just don't want you to buy a 360 or a Wii). Nintendo and M$ will both outsell PS3 this x-mas, because you won't be able to find one...Sony says there won't be a shortage, but the also said the PS3 would be capable of outputting a 1080p signal to 2 HDMI ports. We know now that there will only be 1 HDMI output and only on the $600 system. And most developers say the 1080p with descent framerates on the PS3 just isn't gonna happen.

I hope I'm wrong about the PS3, but Sony has a habit of promising steak, and delivering bologna.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Yeah Improbably gonna buy a 360 and get a wii for christmas, ps3 is just not a practicle gift for someone and if you dont have a large disposable budget then its also no practicle

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Your are right yadboy but if look at the software for the PS3 and what the most of the reviewers are saying they saying it looks really good but I'm not going to lie the price worrys me. But what you say about the shortage I think they can pull it therw cause there now going to make the system out of the country, and where you say, it a no better place than CHINA!!!
yeah there make the PS3 in china and japan so they have a lead I that aspect. I think the real enemy for sony is the Wii come on it looks so fun I still will get the PS3 over that but everone is really likeing the Wii many polls show that the favorite system.

Oh thanks for the site it really cool

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I agree, if Sony can get a large number of PS3's built before x-mas they will make up a lot of ground. I'm just on the fence as to whether or not they can pull it off. If they push out shoddily built first gen machines for $600 buck they are gonna piss a lot of people off.

The Wii is a bigger threat to them (at least in Japan) than the 360. But as long as Sony can put out a decently built console, in large number, before x-mas, they'll be just fine. I just don't know if they can pull it together.

I'll be waiting a long time for my PS3, I refuse to pay more than $400 for a console, and I want the $600 model, so I have a long wait ahead of me...

--edit-- I should really use spell-check :w:

[edit on 7/7/2006 by yadboy]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Thanks for the reminder

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I recently purchased a 5000 dollar computer. Primarily to do digital art and play games on. 600 is far from bad for such a powerful console, and dont forget blu-ray players are 1000 bucks alone. Power costs, if you don't dig it don't get it, no one is forcing you to buy one.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Panzeroth
I recently purchased a 5000 dollar computer. Primarily to do digital art and play games on. 600 is far from bad for such a powerful console, and dont forget blu-ray players are 1000 bucks alone. Power costs, if you don't dig it don't get it, no one is forcing you to buy one.

Only problem is that no one knows how powerful the console really is yet. Sony always hypes up their hardware and it seldom lives up to the hype. You said you spend $5k for a computer, so you're obviously not afraid to spend extra for a better piece of hardware. So why would you buy the cheapest 1st gen Blueray player on the market?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join