It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ps3 price announced

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Because it's got a PS3 as well.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Panzeroth
Because it's got a PS3 as well.

Good point...I kinda figured that would be your answer. It's the truth though. Most the the people buying a PS3 will be buying it for the games, not the movies. The Blueray is a nice little extra, but I along with many others wish Sony had just went with DVD and kept the cost of the system down. It's smart marketing on their part, till all the fanboys and hardcore gamers get a PS3, then sales will flatline till a price drop comes along.

If Sony can keep up with demand, they will be the top selling console for about 3-6 months, after that they will be in dead last until they drop the price at least $100 bucks. But M$ will make sure the 360 is always $100 less than the PS3. The Wii will probably always be $200 less or more. Sony has a uphill battle for sure this round. This will be fun to watch.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by scorpionxx
www.scei.co.jp...

499.99 version:

- No built-in Wi-fi
- No HDMI port
- No Memory Stick slot
- No SD card slot
- No Compact Flash slot
- 20GB hard drive

599.99 version:

- Includes everything including HDMI port, built-in Wi-Fi, 60GB hard drive, etc.

sony has lost there freaking mind if they thinkl I'm gonna pay 6 hundred bucks for one of there systems.

i totally agree with you, sony and microsoft are making gaming too expensive. but nintendo's system is supposed to be ni te hundered dollar range. its not hard to see what is going to happen. sure a lot of people will buy the ps3 and xbox but with nintendo being so cheap i think parents will go for it. if i wanted a blue ray player i wouldnt buy it in a console my ps2 sucks as a dvd player. one thing i dont like about the new nintendo is the controller but this will be remediad by all the manufacturers who make after market controllers. further more i hope nintendo will not try to limit developers on teir system so they can get more of the most popular games.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I'm a devoted gamer. I spend a lot of time with my consoles because I intend to work in the business one day, and think about it, how many night out drinking with your buds exceed 600 dollars? 5? 10? 20? 40? Then think about how much time you spend in front of your tv playing games. The PS2 lasted what 6, 7 years? 6 years of entertainment (plus game costs) ain't that bad if you look at it from a wider perspective. It's an entertainment investment, and if that's too hard to swallow buy some of the thousands of PS2 games and play those instead.

[edit on 10-7-2006 by Panzeroth]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
The premium(2 contollers plus 1 game) was 499.95 USD when it first came out. I remember, I bought it when it first came out.

Well you got ripped off lol. I would never pay an extra $200 for 1 game and controller. I got mine the day it came out for $299+ tax

As far as the new one, no Halo 3 is on X-box 360 so thats where i stay. Wifi feature is pretty cool though, you could go to starbucks and play online LOL.

[edit on 10-7-2006 by Scyman]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I'm a devoted gamer. I spend a lot of time with my consoles because I intend to work in the business one day, and think about it, how many night out drinking with your buds exceed 600 dollars? 5? 10? 20? 40? Then think about how much time you spend in front of your tv playing games. The PS2 lasted what 6, 7 years? 6 years of entertainment (plus game costs) ain't that bad if you look at it from a wider perspective. It's an entertainment investment, and if that's too hard to swallow buy some of the thousands of PS2 games and play those instead.

[edit on 10-7-2006 by Panzeroth]

Cripes, $600 worth of booze in one night?! Talk about a waste of money...

Just a guess, but I would say most games don't have anywhere near that amount of disposable cash. Hell that's rent money for me...

I think ultimately for me, the main reason I balk at the $600 price tag, is that I just don't see why I should have to pay extra because Sony went overboard. Pushing the envelope is well and good, but Sony just pushed it a little too far, and we as the consumer will end up paying the price...

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by yadboyCripes, $600 worth of booze in one night?! Talk about a waste of money...

No I mean if you go out say 20 times a year, spending 30 bucks each time, how expensive will that be compared to a console that lasts several years? I'm not saying you should avoid socializing because you have to choose one of them, I'm saying 600 dollars isn't that much concidering other things you pay to be entertained for. And for the record the PS3 will be around 1000$ in Norway so you should stop complaining

Originally posted by yadboyJust a guess, but I would say most games don't have anywhere near that amount of disposable cash. Hell that's rent money for me...

I think ultimately for me, the main reason I balk at the $600 price tag, is that I just don't see why I should have to pay extra because Sony went overboard. Pushing the envelope is well and good, but Sony just pushed it a little too far, and we as the consumer will end up paying the price...

Not at all, if the console is too expensive most people won't buy it leaving Sony with the bill. I read in a Norwegian newspaper that some uber analysists had come to the conclusion that Sony is very likely to lose the next gen console war mainly because of the price, but also because the lack of new intuitive elements *cough*Wii*cough* and X360 already leads in the online department. They will have to impress heavily if they intend to make the PS3 such as success as the PS2.

Not that I care I want Final Fantasy 13 *droooooooooooooool*

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I think that, regardless of the starting price, it's not exactly the best idea to buy the consoles on the first run anyways. I mean, hasn't just about every system had some type of major defect that wasn't really fixed for a year or so? I know PS2 had issues reading blue discs for some time, the XBox had problems with it's power cords or something. I haven't heard anything about the 360, but I don't really look for that stuff either.

I'm going to wait and see what's broken before I decide to shell out even fifity bucks on something like that. If it works, then great--maybe it'll be worth the $600 or whatever they're charging. I'd rather wait and see though.

I'm looking at the BlueRay in a similar light; it may catch on, it may not. If it does, then everything's great, if not, then you just shelled out money on a feature you'll never use (for movies, at least; I'm sure the games will use it.) I don't think it should be considered as a plus (or a minus) until the tech's been proven and is going to be around for a while. Isn't the 360 using the flip side of next gen dvd encoding? Who's to say which will come out on top?

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Not at all, if the console is too expensive most people won't buy it leaving Sony with the bill. I read in a Norwegian newspaper that some uber analysists had come to the conclusion that Sony is very likely to lose the next gen console war mainly because of the price, but also because the lack of new intuitive elements *cough*Wii*cough* and X360 already leads in the online department. They will have to impress heavily if they intend to make the PS3 such as success as the PS2.

Not that I care I want Final Fantasy 13 *droooooooooooooool*

Yeah, it's going to be very interesting to see how well the system sells at that price after the initial rush is over and there are plenty of PS3's sitting on the store shelves for 600 bones (or more depending where you are in the world). I know Sony is still losing a good bit of money on each system at that price point, but if it doesn't sell, how much lower can they really afford to go? I would hate to be a big-wig at Sony right now, potentially rough times ahead...

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Jee's listen to you bunch on wingers.

ITS A STATE OF THE ART GAMING SYSTEM

IT will supply you with god knows how much entertainment for god knows how many years.

Its meant to have 1% equivelant of HUMAN brain power.
this thing will be awesome.
$600

You must sacrifice to gain.

dont buy macca's, burger king, go withou for a month if you have to.

It hasnt even come out and people are already criticising it.
Maybe sony are spending a supder dooper amount on it, becuase there wont be no SHOTTY version?

maybe these extra features will revolutionise alot of things in the house for you.
who knows.

You people are so materialisitc. FCSake.

ITS A GAMING SYSTEM.
If you dont like the price, shut up eat an apple and go play in the park.

quality costs
You dont like the price.
Go buy Nintendo.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

IT will supply you with god knows how much entertainment for god knows how many years.

this thing will be awesome.

Well, none of what you have posted is fact, It's opinion and marketing hype from Sony. I hope your right, but until the system comes out, and everyone says it's better than mad crack, I'm not buying the hype. I've read quite a few articles that say it's not going to be the revolutionary system Sony claims it to be. Everything I've seen leads me to believe it and the 360 will be on par with one another in terms of power. The PS3 will do some things better, but not enough to justify the difference in price. I really don't give a crap about Blu-ray so there's no added value there as far as I'm concerned.

And just for the record, I don't own a 360, yet. I'm waiting till the PS3 comes out and sells out their 1st gen machines (they're always craptastic). If the 2nd gen machines are all Sony says they are, I might just bite the bullet and spend the cash, I just don't trust Sony's hype at this point. They have a poor track record of delivering what they promise.

In closing I would like say, RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER!!!!1111eleventy-one

[edit on 7/14/2006 by yadboy]

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

That has yet to be released and proven outside of Sony's testing labs. It may be (and most likely will be) great, but I'd rather see it take a few beatings before I shell out more than half my rent.

Yes, God knows how much and how long, because none of us have seen what it's capable of nor how long it'll last. If it comes out and it's crap compared to the hype, are you going to give me my week and a half's worth of pay back?

I'd like to know where you heard this at; last I heard, no one was even 100% sure how much power the human brain had. Besides, which human's brain? If you're talking about Einstein, hey, great. If you're talking about most of the people I've met in my time, I'll stick with an etch-a-sketch; it'd have more brain power than any of them.

You must sacrifice to gain.

dont buy macca's, burger king, go withou for a month if you have to.

But how do we know at this time that sacrifices will provide a gain in this instance?

It hasnt even come out and people are already criticising it.
Maybe sony are spending a supder dooper amount on it, becuase there wont be no SHOTTY version?

maybe these extra features will revolutionise alot of things in the house for you.
who knows.

Maybe, and maybe not. I'm sure there's been plenty of times a company has invested tons of money in something and it turned out to be crap.

You people are so materialisitc. FCSake.

And ironically enough, you're defending a materialistic desire--getting a game console--by saying that.

ITS A GAMING SYSTEM.

Which makes it even more confusing that you seem to be so upset.

If you dont like the price, shut up eat an apple and go play in the park.

quality costs
You dont like the price.
Go buy Nintendo.

Yes, quality costs, but there's no proof outside of magazine articles about how much quality this machine will have. Even those articles can't be taken 100% at face value, as (at least as far as I'm aware) there aren't any production PS3's out yet, only demo and development models. When they get into mass production, and we know there won't be any changes at all, then we can take a look and see what works and what doesn't. Hell, for all we know right now, they may run into last minute problems with half the hardware and the PS3 won't even be released as it's currently specified. Unlikely, but far from impossible.

FWIW, I have no problems with trying to save money for this system, and I have every intention of doing so. I just want to make sure that it's not going to be $600 I could've wasted on something else, like rent or gas.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Everyone says the PS3 costs a lot but you think of how much the 360 sold for on ebay into the 1000s and id rather sony got that money adn put it back into games.
Also in comparison to the 360 the Ps3 is actualyl a bargain price.Think I'm mad look at my math (its all in punds sorry yanks)

the premium unit minus the hdd would be around £220 minus the £60 hdd. Now the ps3 is twice as powerful so you add 50% to the price becomin £330. Then the hdd whihc is 3 times the size so you add the ocst of the 360 one add 75% becoming £105. Now the total is £435. What about the internal wifi well the 360 version sells for around £60 so lets say as its inbuilt its £40. Now were at £475. Bear in mind I havnt included the blu ray drive whihc retail for a minimum of £700.
Finally can you guess the price of a ps3 in britain, nope £425 value for money. OH so you say the gaems are expensive wrong again a 360 game comes out for £50(rrp) and surpisingly thats the same for the ps3 games whihc have twice the capacity.

And bfore someone says it im a fanboy so what?

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Sory to double post but thats not including the £ 30 for xbox live whihc is freee for the ps3 equivilent.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
PS2 was like 5-6 bills when it first came out as well. Consoles, on average, have been coming down in price(adjusted for inflation) for quite a while now. For those with cash, it's quite reasonable as a comporable computer can run in the thousands. My last computer cost me 6 hundred for instance. It's not a glorified toy you know, it is a computer designed to play games and contrary to myth and popular belief, Sony and MSFT lose money on each and every unit sold. They make their profit by selling games.

For MSFT if you add in the Wireless controller adapter, the price becomes comparable to the PS3(the 5 $ adapter costs like 100 bucks I've heard)

Consoles blow anyway, I'll stick to my PC thank you very much!

[edit on 9-5-2006 by sardion2000]

PS2 was never $600 -- it was $400 at the most. Personally, I would never pay that much money for a console that's just too many beans. I prefer the functionality and ease of use of the XBox360. Also for the record, both of my original PS2s overheated in under a year and it was too big of a deal to get it fixed properly.

[edit on 23-8-2006 by carnival_of_souls2047]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by yadboy

Originally posted by Umbrax
Wasn't Xbox 360 $500?

It seems to have no trouble selling.

Not even, $299.99 for core, $399.99 for premium...

yeah, but if you want to get the Hd-dvd drive, that's another $200 so with that in mind both consoles cost the same. On top of that, PS3 is just going to be able to process more info. faster, plus blu-ray discs can hold around 25Gig so that means more explosions, interaction, details, etc.

Playstation will by far be the better console, it's just up to the not so serious gamers to decide which console will come out the winner. Hardcore gamers will have no problem shelling out $600 for a console with HD capability that will be better than most computers will be for a while.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 7Pan7cho7
yeah, but if you want to get the Hd-dvd drive, that's another $200 so with that in mind both consoles cost the same. On top of that, PS3 is just going to be able to process more info. faster, plus blu-ray discs can hold around 25Gig so that means more explosions, interaction, details, etc.

Its clear your a Sony fanboy...but I'll lay down some facts for you anyway.

Microsoft has given the consumer the choice, whether they want to participate in the next-gen optical disc battle. While Sony has invested heavily in Blu-ray, and they needed the method that could force it upon the masses, PS3 was their obvious choice.

I plan on getting a 360 soon, but I will have no part in the next-gen disc format war. If both do good, then I will by a player in a couple years that plays both formats.

BTW, the PS3 will have longer loading times then the 360, because its new Blu-ray player spins slower then 360's dvd drive.
Also, the PS3 has just admitted that the higher 600 dollar version wont have HDMI outputs, you will have to spend an additional $40 if you want that.

The PS3 is the hardest and most expensive console to develop for...so dont expect another (PS2 like) onslaught of games.

Sony has basically bitten off more then they can chew.

The controller looks nearly identical to the one they came out with during the era of the FIRST playstation. And the user interface (IE:the menu screen) is identical to the PSP.
They are using old hardware (controller) and old software (interface) because they have spent so much money on the Cell processor chip, and the Blu-ray drive.

BTW, it comes out in November...and they haven’t even started up the production lines.
Sony dropped the ball

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
just being ripped off! the console market,has maybe 4-5 years left....unless.one of them comes out with somthing new!and ground breaking! doubt it...cost you loads more then! what a con.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   
there is no point in arguing about the ps3 and 360.

they wont get you any chicks, actually they will probably keep you from getting any chicks.

now that im on the topic of chicks, if you really wana score, get a wii. peace

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

Originally posted by 7Pan7cho7

Its clear your a Sony fanboy...but I'll lay down some facts for you anyway.

Microsoft has given the consumer the choice, whether they want to participate in the next-gen optical disc battle. While Sony has invested heavily in Blu-ray, and they needed the method that could force it upon the masses, PS3 was their obvious choice.

I plan on getting a 360 soon, but I will have no part in the next-gen disc format war. If both do good, then I will by a player in a couple years that plays both formats.

BTW, the PS3 will have longer loading times then the 360, because its new Blu-ray player spins slower then 360's dvd drive.
Also, the PS3 has just admitted that the higher 600 dollar version wont have HDMI outputs, you will have to spend an additional $40 if you want that.

The PS3 is the hardest and most expensive console to develop for...so dont expect another (PS2 like) onslaught of games.

Sony has basically bitten off more then they can chew.

The controller looks nearly identical to the one they came out with during the era of the FIRST playstation. And the user interface (IE:the menu screen) is identical to the PSP.
They are using old hardware (controller) and old software (interface) because they have spent so much money on the Cell processor chip, and the Blu-ray drive.

BTW, it comes out in November...and they haven’t even started up the production lines.
Sony dropped the ball

When you price it up the value for money of the PS3 is better than the 360 without a blu-ray drive. And i dont recall much difference between the xbox and the xbox 360 controller, the menu is identical simple becasue it works there no point in using a new menu is there.
And when did they saw the higher version wont have a HDMI socket, let me guess this came from an xbox 360 website again.
Discs spins slower? Well have you looked at the actual bit rate DVD offers only 10mbps when the 'slower' blu ray offers 54mbps, it spins slower because theres more to read.
The last full scale production starts at the end of this month so even if they dont produce enough for everyone theyll just have to use ebay or wait for the second wave of consoles (whihc is funnily enough what happened with the 360)
Admittedly the PS3 is harder to program for but thats onlt bcasue its so much more powerful, sure games have been canelled for this year (smackdown, fifa etc) but thats only so they can realise it next year.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join