It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to all the "miracles" from the bible?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
We all know about those incredible miracles from the bible.

My question is, what happened to them? I think it would pretty crazy to see some of those miracles today. I would love to see ANY of the following miracles:

A sea split in half long enough for a bunch of people to walk across the ocean floor.
The sun suddenly stop its "path" through the sky (I mean for like a few hours, of course
).
The Nile River turn into blood.
All the water in a country turn into blood.
The firstborn of an entire country die in one night (I wouldn't want to see people die per se, just an incredible event actually occur).
Someone walk across a lake/river/pond/etc.
A burning bush talk.
A snake talk.

Well...what happened? Why don't we see these miracles anymore? I would think that we technological skeptics would surely need a miraculous slap (bad pun, but I couldn't help it
) across the face to keep us in line with the bible deity. Seriously, if "uneducated desert dwelling imbeciles" (
I can't remember who posted that, but that's killer!) turned their back on this god after SEEING SOME OF THESE MIRACLES BEFORE THEIR EYES, why the hell would people relatively well versed in science and tech believe in this same deity without the benefit of said miracles?

Did bible god get lazy? Maybe his ego has grown so big, he just assumes everyone actually believes in him, nixing the requirement to show off his godly prowess every once in a while. Or...

Is it all just a scam to convince you to believe one of the affiliated religions? Like, "my god is so powerful, he did THIS and he did THAT and he'll do THIS to you if you don't believe me." Scare tactics, basically. Then, you can say, "well, look at the Greek/Roman gods. They were weak. They didn't do any big miracles, so no one believes in them anymore." (I'm pretty sure this is not the case, however).

I think these miracles that no longer operate in the world of today were just a scam to convert people. I'd say it was an exaggeration of actual events, but the people who follow this book today push them like they actually happened, and look at YOU like YOU'RE crazy because you don't believe these things happened.

Really. Think about the "convert or die" thing with the sword. Pretty effective way to gain membership, even if it's not sincere. So, what's even better than the threat of a man killing you? The threat of a GOD killing you, not only because the god is all strong and stuff, but the god can torture you AFTER you're dead! No man can do that!

I must say, the people who came up with these miracles and the people who push them are some of the biggest cons of all time.

[edit on 2-5-2006 by truthseeka]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka

My question is, what happened to them?

Someone from my church had a tumor in their son's head disappear after prayer. It was discovered by a Dr. and then on a return visit it was gone.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   

A sea split in half long enough for a bunch of people to walk across the ocean floor.

Earthquake pushed up the seabed, actually, according to theory, it's the 'Reed sea' not the 'Red sea', big size difference.

The sun suddenly stop its "path" through the sky (I mean for like a few hours, of course ).

The Earth tilting on it's axis can cause this effect, or temporary stop in rotation, perhaps due to gravitational pull by an object zipping by Earth.

The Nile River turn into blood.
All the water in a country turn into blood.

Iron oxide getting stirred up from release of trapped gases, perhaps released by earthquakes.

The firstborn of an entire country die in one night (I wouldn't want to see people die per se, just an incredible event actually occur).

The firstborn slept on the ground floor as was custom, older siblings slept upstairs on the roof, carbon dioxide released from lakebed by earthquake, CO2 is a heavy gas, so would kill the first born.

Someone walk across a lake/river/pond/etc.

Mirage, ice, shallow spot?

A burning bush talk.

Some biblical prankster?

A snake talk.

same guy?

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
To answer your question, we should look in the bible...

John 4: 48 Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

Mark 13:22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

When the time comes you will see great signs and wonders.. but it won't be from Godly men, but false prophets. That doesn't necessarily mean that there will be no true prophets of God that will be performing miracles, but we need to ground our beliefs based solely on the Word of God

The bible says...

John 14:29 And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.

What better miracle and wonder than to be able to know the future 100 percent?

Isaiah 46:9 Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,
10Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

Isn't it enough of a miracle when Jesus said that not one stone shall be left upon another and then in 70 AD it was fulfilled in the destruction of Jerusalem?

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Isn't it enough that 2000 years ago someone would say such a thing as in Matthew 24:14 and is on the verge of being fulfilled? What are the odds of me making up a tale such as me dieing on the cross, dieing for your sins etc etc and 2000 years later most if not all the 6 billion + people in the world heard of the name Shortness? Doubtful.

Isn't it enough that the bible has been proven time and time again to be historically accurate thanks to archaeological discoveries insomuch that it made athiest archaeologists hellbent on discrediting the bible turn into christians because when they discovered that bible history is confirms thier digs?

Mark 8:12 And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and saith, Why doth this generation seek after a sign? verily I say unto you, There shall no sign be given unto this generation.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   
without faith it is impossible see god and also the miracles that accompany his spirit...if you truly seek god with all your heart you would see miracles, but to not seek him and then just wonder why you dont see anything...god has hidden himself from the wise and prudent for this reason.

even if you saw a miracle you would rationalize it away like so many in the past have done. jesus fed 5000 people on 5 loafes and 2 fishes and they still had trouble believing in him.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   

posted by Shortness: “Isn't it enough of a miracle when Jesus said that not one stone shall be left upon another and then in 70 AD it was fulfilled in the destruction of Jerusalem?

And, just what is the West Wall - Wailing Wall - supposed to be?

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. What are the odds of me making up a tale such as me dying on the cross, dying for your sins etc and 2000 years later most if not all the 6 billion + people in the world heard of the name Shortness? Doubtful.

Two operative words here, 1) shall the “ e n d “ come. What is the end? End of what? End of preaching? End of the Kingdom? 2) “heard” of the Name - are you thinking the Muslims will proclaim the Name of Jesus? Or Buddhists? Or adherents of Confucius? How are we to know if they “heard” the Name of Jesus? I think you are overly optimistic.

Mark 8:12 And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and saith, Why doth this generation seek after a sign? verily I say unto you, There shall no sign be given unto this generation.

Just say YES or NO, Do you Believe this story is true? Luke Chapter 8. v.32 “Now a herd of many swine was feeding there on the mountain. So they begged Him that He would permit them to enter them. And He permitted them. v.33 Then the demons went out of the man and entered the swine, and the herd ran violently down the steep place into the lake and drowned.”

Of all the miracles claimed, I have never head one where a missing limb was replaced. Not even Jesus could to that one!

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Toadmund, if it's that simple, we will see the same stuff today. We do not.

Shortness, no, the bible is not enough. If they saw the same stuff back in the day, how come we don't get to see it now?

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_sentinal
without faith it is impossible see god and also the miracles that accompany his spirit...if you truly seek god with all your heart you would see miracles, but to not seek him and then just wonder why you dont see anything...god has hidden himself from the wise and prudent for this reason.

even if you saw a miracle you would rationalize it away like so many in the past have done. jesus fed 5000 people on 5 loafes and 2 fishes and they still had trouble believing in him.

Hidden himself from the prudent and wise? Or maybe the prudent and wise realize that bible god is bunk?

And, how would you rationalize seeing a sea part with huge frickin walls of water just sitting there? Or seeing a river turn into blood? That would TRULY be a miracle; funny we don't see them...

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Toadmund, if it's that simple, we will see the same stuff today. We do not.

Shortness, no, the bible is not enough. If they saw the same stuff back in the day, how come we don't get to see it now?

Actually we do, disturbed iron oxide does make rivers and lakes red, CO2 does bubble up from lakes and does kill people on low lying areas.

The Indonesia tsunami, a rift came up, and displaced the water, and it can happen on land or landlocked water bodies too, if it can go up, it can go down as well.

Seems to me the bible was embelished to make ordinary or plausable events seem like an act of god, and the people of the time believed that, so they wrote it in that context, leaving out details because it needed no explanation, god did it, end of story.

If the Indonesian tsunami happened back then, it would be written as so:

And god smote the water with his mighty hand,
struck it mightly he did.
with his hand he did smote it.
with the strength of god.
god smote the water.
with his mighty hand he did strike, and smote the depths.

and the water rose up
and the multitude perished because their sins were stacked as high as the heavens.

truthseeks said:

Hidden himself from the prudent and wise? Or maybe the prudent and wise realize that bible god is bunk?

Thanks

I have no evidence of god, but I keep all options open.
I wait patiently for truth.
Did god abandon us?

For those who believe, does god reveal himself to you?

I didn't think so.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 11:34 PM
link   
It's an interesting question, does God reveal himself to believers? Well, I suppose that would depend on the amount of stock you place in the Bible AS a believer. If you follow it through, believing in the miracles or not, you could for all intents and purposes just refer to Revelation. It is this book that is the most important for believers, for it is this book that TELLS them when and how god will reveal himself to them. So to answer the question, for believers, God WILL reveal himself, in his own time, as will He reveal Himself to all nonbelievers, though many will even then shun him. It is all a matter of blind faith, as I have spoken on before. I love this site, but I get the biggest kick out of people trying to argue with hardcore believers in anything. Don't you guys understand yet that it is not possible to reason with someone blind to reason and logistical comparison? When the issue of faith arises, it takes an event of extreme magnitude to loosen it, let alone shake it to the core. There just isn't any sense in asking WHY someone believes, because often there is no answer, other than an answer with the same question. Why not? Christianity, Muslim, Buddhist, doesn't matter. Their evidence to corroberate the stories of their holy books is often the same as a person shooting an arrow into a wall and someone drawing a target around it. You can't argue with a man who believes wholeheartedly in evidence of vagueness and convenience. Just can't be done. Myself and many better have tried and failed. No matter your skill with rhetoric, no matter your historical backing of evidence and dates, there is one answer that can stop you dead in your tracks and leave you frustrated and mouth agape- "You have to have faith". The conversation is basically over after that. I mean, you can continue to rant, but it falls on def ears. Might as well hold palaver with a brick wall. You might at least get an open mind out of a brick wall.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   
If you ask the Heavenly Father, He will show you that it is True!

If you are sincere in your Heart, and you seek Him with all thy Heart & Soul, He Will Show You all that it is True!

But as Christ stood before Unbelievers there were times He Opened Not His Mouth and Answered them not, for He knew their Hearts! So one must be of a contrite heart, when asking & seeking His Truth & Mysteries!

[edit on 3-5-2006 by AngelWings9999]

[edit on 3-5-2006 by AngelWings9999]

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngelWings9999
If you ask the Heavenly Father, He will show you that it is True!

If you are sincere in your Heart, and you seek Him with all thy Heart & Soul, He Will Show You all that it is True!

Tried that, didn't work.

I'll keep my senses peeled though, thanks.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 10:06 AM
link   

My question is, what happened to them? I think it would pretty crazy to see some of those miracles today.

truthseeka, here is a modern day miracle. Feel free to ask him what he thinks about his God.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Were differant humans now. Not only that put there are BILLIONS of us now, to try and rationalize and scientificly defunk any form of miricle. Either that or any sizable miricle will end up on the news for one whole day...or on the discovery channel and be forgotten.

A miricle on the 21st century would be a divine waste of time. Because of us.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
darkelf, in your link there are things that should be paid attention to, to rule out divinity.

He was in pain
--Pain has been used for centuries to induce ecstatic states of mind.

Dilauded
--well, that speaks for itself

Extreme stress
--the will to escape it.

Out of body experience
--I've been there, through meditation, and through a certain medicine *cough*

I don't deny he touched god, but in lieu of the mitigating factors involved, one has to wonder if it was god, or just the brain escaping reality.

I would like to say WOW, he met god, but the Sherlock in me says, 'well, lets investigate'.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   
circa 1450 BC:

The Volcano Santorini blew up--possibly a bigger explosion than Krakatoa--possibly the biggest in the known history of the human race.

This was at the North end of the Mediterranean.

Ash and tsunamis affected the whole of the mediterranean--Egypt at the southern end.

The Bible tells of the Exodus out of Egypt--many of the events are descriptive of the effects of such a catastrophic Volcanic eruption.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund

Yes.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   

darkelf, in your link there are things that should be paid attention to, to rule out divinity.

Then doesn't your response answer the OP's question of why there are no miracles? If he could observe all of the miracles he listed, would he believe or would he try to find scientific proof?

If an alien landed a ship on the whitehouse lawn, would you believe it if it said it was the creator? Or would you seek scientific proof?

The miracle is in the heart of the beholder.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Well...what happened? Why don't we see these miracles anymore?

Well, Lazarus (you know, one of the dudes Jesus brought back from the dead?), is still alive and living up the street from me. So when Jesus brings you back from the dead, you stay that way. And then Jesus got himself killed and resurrected, and pretty much forgot to take the magic off, so Lazarus has been alive all this time, with no end in sight.

He says he doesn't remember much about the "J" Man, other than he was shorter than you'd expect and he laughed a lot.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

Yes.

So what does god do when god does his revealing to you?
How do you know it's god?
God:
"Hey, howzit goin'!"

---"Who are you?"

God:
"I am the one for whomst thou seeketh!"
---"Who
, Daffy duck?"
God: "No, it's me, the creator of everything, figured I'd take some time out of my busy schedule and reveal myself to you."
---"Uh, great, my house is a mess though!"
God: "So's mine"

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join