It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Claims World Is Safer Because War On Terror

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The State Departments Counterterrorism chief says that the world has become safer because of the War On Terrorism. This is despite more then 11,000 terrorist attacks in 2005, with 14,600 dead as a result. He claims that these new reports were based on a broader definition of terrorism and shouldn't be compared to the 3,129 listed terror attacks the previous year. Iran has been labeled as the biggest sponsor of terrorism along with Syria, Cuba, Sudan, North Korea and Lybia.

today.reut ers.co.uk
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. war on terrorism has made the world safer, the State Department's counterterrorism chief said on Friday, despite more than 11,000 terrorist attacks worldwide last year that killed 14,600 people.

The U.S. State Department said the numbers, listed in its annual Country Reports on Terrorism released on Friday, were based on a broader definition of terrorism and could not be compared to the 3,129 international attacks listed the previous year.

Iran, Sudan, Libya, Syria, Cuba and North Korea remained on the U.S. list of state sponsors of terrorism, despite significantly better cooperation from Sudan and Libya, the report said.
"Iran remained the most active sponsor of terrorism," Crumpton said, adding Iran provided Hizbollah and Palestinian militants with extensive funding, training and weapons, supported insurgents in Iraq, and provided safe haven to its own operatives and members of Hizbollah.

Officials sought to avert any conclusion that the sharply higher statistics on attacks meant the war on terrorism was not working.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well this seems like a load to me. Iran is the top sponsor for terrorism, the war on terror is working. Dont worry about the 7000 more terrorist attacks, thats not whats important. It all just sounds like propaganda to try and calm the people down. I wasnt even aware cuba was a major sponsor of terrorism. That list looks more like a list of countries that our in are targets for whatever reason rather then terrorism sponsors. Personally, this angers me. I would hope that the rise in attacks would anger you too...unless you by into the "This is not the kind of war where you can measure success with conventional numbers,"

Anybody have any thoughts on the Counterterrorism Chief's outlook at the war on terror. Do YOU think its making the world any more safe? When I say safe, I mean safe for everyone...not just you or your international corporations interests.

Related News Links:
www.alertnet.org

[edit on 28-4-2006 by grimreaper797]

[edit on 29-4-2006 by grimreaper797]

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 12:50 AM
link   
This is not the first year that the Bush administration has made this claim. I believe that they have made this claim every single year since the Iraq war began.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I was under the impression that terrorism incidents had increased ever since the U.S. invaded Iraq. I don't recall ever reading anything specifically about the number of such attacks worldwide though, it's just the impression I got from reading the news.

[edit on 29-4-2006 by Astronomer70]

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Ridiculous, isn't it? In the face of all the actual evidence, the US government thinks that by putting out a press release it can make everyone feel better.

I'm sure it'll work for those people who cling to the idea that everything the government says is true.

Btw, I actually posted an ATS thread on this a few days ago. I hope more people look at this one. At least I've now found a sensible place to post items like this.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This is a big fat BS, and the world is most definatedly not safer, in fact it is more dangerous than it ever was, IMO. How could it be less dangerous when every terrorist and their uncle want to harm us????
Just ask Bush.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Well, how can the World be a SAFER place, since this War on Terror has begun - if US also admits, that the war in Iraq is actually CREATING terrorism?

US Admits Iraq War Sparking Terrorism

Strange...

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Well, how can the World be a SAFER place, since this War on Terror has begun - if US also admits, that the war in Iraq is actually CREATING terrorism?

Strange...

That is what one reporter says so you will have to live with it even though it does not agree with yours.

This is the same report covered by another reporter and it has his spin on the subject. No contradiction at all as I see it, just differences of opinions by two individuals. The version you used also had a very good explanation for the differences..

in part it stated

Times Online "it has adopted a broader definition of such incidents since having to withdraw data used two years ago on the ground that it was grossly understated."

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

This is a big fat BS, and the world is most definatedly not safer, in fact it is more dangerous than it ever was, IMO. How could it be less dangerous when every terrorist and their uncle want to harm us????
Just ask Bush.

I am not sure about this, but I would think that there have been more terrorist attacks against coalition troops because they are at war with insurgents/terrorists, which would be the reason why there are more terrorist attacks now.

At least those terrorist engaging the military are not free to go to the U.S., Britain, or any other country to make their attacks in our cities.

Terrorists have wanted to harm the U.S. for decades. Even Osama Bin Laden has said in an interview done to him in 1997 that even when the U.S. was helping him against the Russians, that him and his troops were already thinking on ways to attack the west after the Russians were gone from the Middle East.

Several times has the U.S., and many other western countries been attacked by such terrorists, even before the war in Iraq, so what excuse are you going to give the terrorists for those times the west was attacked before the war in Iraq or Afghanistan?....

[edit on 29-4-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Strange...

We have undoubtedly created the breeding of terrorism in Iraq and the world. And we are less safe than ever for our actions.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   

We have undoubtedly created the breeding of terrorism in Iraq and the world. And we are less safe than ever for our actions.

That is what the Solujah wants us to believe, but it is not true. They are now using a broader defintion. Grime at least included it in his intro, but the souljah as usual left that minor detail out more then likely because he does not want us aware of it.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Well, i dont pretend to know everything, but if you invade a country without real cause, i cant help but wonder if the plotters and scqueamers arent doing just that in order to get back at us.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
That is what the Solujah wants us to believe, but it is not true. They are now using a broader defintion. Grime at least included it in his intro, but the souljah as usual left that minor detail out more then likely because he does not want us aware of it.

Dude, you should Relax.

These are NEWS stories, not something I MADE UP on my own.

FACTS are in front of you.

And yet again, I did not made them up.

So, belive what you want to belive, because everytime I present those Facts, you start to hide behind my "Agenda". Sad really...

Three years after its invasion of Iraq the US Administration acknowledged yesterday that the war has become “a cause” for Islamic extremists worldwide and there is a risk of the country becoming a safe haven for terrorists hoping to launch fresh attacks on America.

According to CIA data released yesterday, there were 11,111 terrorist incidents last year, killing more than 14,600 non-combatants, including 8,300 in Iraq. Of the 56 American civilians killed by terrorists in 2005, some 47 of them were in Iraq.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Well, i dont pretend to know everything, but if you invade a country without real cause, i cant help but wonder if the plotters and scqueamers arent doing just that in order to get back at us.

Without real cause?.... First of all I should remind you, once again like some of us have done a million times already, that the whole world was claiming that Saddam had wmd....

Second of all, I would like to know exactly what you think that all the evidence which was found in Iraq shows... I mean what else would Saddam want empty chemical warheads for.... For what other purpose would Saddam tell Iraqi scientists to bury and hide parts needed for centrifuges to enrich Uranium?.... Among some of the other evidence and facts surrounding this topic.

i would also like to know why exactly do you, and some other people like yourself, seem to want to believe the regime of Saddam, yet you prefer not to believe anything that several officials from SAddam's regime, and ex-Russian military defectors have been saying since before the war to this day....

You, and others like you, keep trying to claim there was no reason for going into Iraq and you want to claim that only president Bush was claiming there were wmd in Iraq, when that is not true at all.

Yet for some reason you just want to dismiss all the evidence that was found, you want to dismiss the fact that the whole world believed that Saddam had wmd, half of the world jsut wanted more sanctions because they were getting rich throught the OFF program (Oil For Food scandal, ring a bell?)

Once in a while, one member or another, makes the same claim that DG just made, alongside some other claims they make, when evidence is once again shown to the contrary of what they claim they remain silent for a couple months, then they make the claim once again....

I have reached the conclusion that there are many people around these forums who are not looking for the truth.

[edit on 29-4-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Dude, you should Relax.

These are NEWS stories, not something I MADE UP on my own.

FACTS are in front of you.

And yet again, I did not made them up.

So, belive what you want to belive, because everytime I present those Facts, you start to hide behind my "Agenda". Sad really...

You do present new stories but then you change some things around trying to blame everything on the U.S., which you always do.

If i am wrong then show some evidence to the contrary. Terrorist attacks have increased mainly because terrorist are now concentrating on attacking the coalition forces, as well as Iraqi citizens, trying to gain control of Iraq.

We have had over the years terrorists leave places like Iraq, Iran, etc, to go to western cities and make terrorist attacks. At least for now terrorists/insurgents are being engaged in the Middle East, and not in western cities.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
You do present new stories but then you change some things around trying to blame everything on the U.S., which you always do.

If i am wrong then show some evidence to the contrary. Terrorist attacks have increased mainly because terrorist are now concentrating on attacking the coalition forces, as well as Iraqi citizens, trying to gain control of Iraq.

We have had over the years terrorists leave places like Iraq, Iran, etc, to go to western cities and make terrorist attacks. At least for now terrorists/insurgents are being engaged in the Middle East, and not in western cities.

Let's not Forget the Facts behind the so-called "Liberation" of Iraq:

- Based on a Pack of Lies (no WMD's, Al-Qaeda NOT connected to Saddam etc...)

- Completly Illegal Invasion regarding the approval of International Community

- Completly Illegal regarding the use of Banned Weapons

- Completly Illegal concering the International Law of POW

- Completly Illegal concerning the Human Rights

It was actually Illegal from the very start of this so-called "War on Terror", which CREATES Terrorism - and you Know that! And the second that somebody stands up and says or fights against this ILLEGAL occupation of Iraq, he is called either a Terrorist, or a Terrorist supporter.

Basicly you are nothing but an extension of the Bush "doctrine", saying: "Either you are with us, or against us!". And that I find also very sad, since you are thinking in Absolutes. That is a Totalitarian way of thinking.

And since US of A has been the No.1 supporter of Terroristic, Dictatorship and Totalitarian regimes in the past, the only thing you can do and say, is to point your finger and call people TERRORISTS! You do not ask yourself where did they come from, or why they are fighting and not stopping - who is the reason, and who is fueling this conflict.

As long as the Hands of Bush administration are "Clean" you are Allright and Jumping with Joy - and when the Facts and Evidence is presented against them, you are shouting and pointing fingers at people, saying they are nothning but a Islamo-Fascist-Liberal-Communists.

Well Done.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The US claims World is Safer because of War on Terra.

And companies claim that if you use their product, you will be wrinkle, fat and debt free in only 30 days.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Does the world FEEL safer since they launched their lucrative 'war on terra' ?????

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Safer? I feel like I'm living in a giant open prison. And considering my general stance which most of you know about that's saying something.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Everyone one here is absolutley correct. Even if your views are contradixcting each other. Your all right in your statements. The world is safer and not safer at the same time. The war was illegal AND justified at the same time. Saddam had AND didn't have WMD's at the same time. These are all facts AND lies at the same time.

So lets just live on the same days we have been living the whole time.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   

- Based on a Pack of Lies (no WMD's, Al-Qaeda NOT connected to Saddam etc...)

I would not be so sure about that if I were you. You really should not state they are lies unless you can prove they are lies. Recent material found indicates otherwise.

Interview starts at about 2 minutes into the interview last 16:39 Minutes.

IPOD Broadcast regarding Iraq - Osama and WMDS where they went and connection with Terrorists

Just checked and it would appear that Putfile clipped part of the file but you will still get the basics from what is there. When done go here for more

iraqdocs.blogspot.com...

For those wanting to listen to the whole mp3 file; u2 me a generic email address and I will send you the whole interview.

Also of great interest is this.

www.captainsquartersblog.com...#

Now enjoy the hours of reading required found on the iraqdocs blog they will help you deny your ignorance.

[edit on 4/29/2006 by shots]

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Safer, hum. . . I have to catch a flight to my island in May and I am not worry about the terrorist but I am worry about the trigger happy and paranoid security people working in the airports to Keep us safe.

That is what I feel and I am afraid off, becoming a target of the War on terror because I may look or behave in a way that is suspicious.

Funny, but that is the truth of how I feel.

[edit on 29-4-2006 by marg6043]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join