It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want some bacon? Print me out some too!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Was debating weather to put this in here, or the Space Exploration because of the possibilities there. But I decided on this forum because of the endless possibilities for this technology....

www.livescience.com Link

I think this could be a great solution for the problem of food supplies for long space missions... Instead of having to stock and inventory many kinds of food.... you just need to keep lots of the "living cell suspension" ink around and 'print out' your meals...

I wonder how far this technology will go though... Like I wonder if they could use the same technology to make other edibles, like fruit and veggies.??

Just thought ppl might like to take a look

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Yesssss!!!! One step closer to the food replicator! Eureka I'm glad I came across this post. Instead of tofu bacon, I'll have....well....replibacon. "Oh, just print out everything on the menu!" Seriously, I can see why the decision of where to post. Something like this has possibilities in many areas, medicine, space.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
This has been done on a larger scale, a massive printer like machine that can build up houses from the ground up using a concrete like material. I think NASA is trying to use one to build a base on the moon using ony the resources that are already there. But still its a great idea, food....hmm oh yer there is a printer now that you can build your own circuitry just like printing out a picture.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Reminds me of when the 3D printer was developed. They dubbed it the worlds first replicator... though it obviously wasnt. But it was cool to see it print a plastic model layer by layer.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by desert
Yesssss!!!! One step closer to the food replicator! Eureka I'm glad I came across this post. Instead of tofu bacon, I'll have....well....replibacon. "Oh, just print out everything on the menu!" Seriously, I can see why the decision of where to post. Something like this has possibilities in many areas, medicine, space.

Actually they have been using this sort of technology for a little while in the medicine field for a while now printing out human skin

livescience.com link

But I thought this one was cool, because it's finally come down to something tangable to the general public (well, maybe soon anyways) as well as having almost unlimited applications elsewere. Also reminds me of a story I watched I believe was on Daily Planet on the discovery channel, how this one restaurant makes these "edible menus" Not quite the same, but still kinda neat.

Wiki News - Edible Menu

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 01:08 AM
link   
*Smiles*

Uh huh... and how many of you keep ink in your printer at home? My kids go through ink like water and I go store-to-store looking for replacement cartriges (sp?) for it...

Seriously though, I have always liked the idea of the replicator because you only need the basic compounds to make anything you want/need.

JDub

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Yeah! I'm gonna go print me some Nachos, Pizza, and Beer, While I Virtual Reality myself into a live football game.

The receiver goes long, he just about has the pass *zap* "Honey have we got any napkins? I just did my victory dance, and spilled the nachos on the couch."

-ADHD

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueTileSpook
*Smiles*

Uh huh... and how many of you keep ink in your printer at home? My kids go through ink like water and I go store-to-store looking for replacement cartriges (sp?) for it...

Seriously though, I have always liked the idea of the replicator because you only need the basic compounds to make anything you want/need.

JDub

I assume, if this makes it to the mainstream, they will setup some sort of pipeline system or some ultradense "base blocks."

top topics

join