It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22 Chainsaw Massacre

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Important story? No
Funny? Yes
This stuff happens.
On the plus side, I have pics of a REAL f-22 cockpit

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by uuhelpus

On the plus side, I have pics of a REAL f-22 cockpit

I'll bite shall I? What do you mean, this one isn't real, or have I misunderstood?

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
If there is no other way to open a jammed canopy than by cutting it with a chainsaw then I call that a serious design flaw. I understand the reluctance to use the canopy jettison feature if there is no danger to the pilot, but there should be some way to access the canopy latches from outside the aircraft and remove the canopy without damaging the plane. I'd go as far as chilling the canopy with a CO2 extingusher and shattering it. A new canopy and a Shop Vac would be all that's needed for cleanup. As far as the price tag on a new canopy goes, I'd be curious as to how that compairs to canopy prices for other aircraft.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by uuhelpus
Important story? No

Hmmm...So...not an important story???

Imagine a pilot making an emergency landing due to a fire on-board etc...The pilot needs to get out of there asap...but he cant?

Still think its not important???

Originally posted by waynos
What do you mean, this one isn't real, or have I misunderstood?

I think he meant that because of your post he now has pictures of the F-22 cockpit!

Mic

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Ah right, I see. 'Durr' on me then.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Im not paranoid at all.

But this plane gets more negative attention than any on the planet, even for issue’s that have occurred in one way or another for almost every plane in history. Why? Because it’s expensive and supposedly the best. But does that make what is in all likelyhood a very minor technical issue something that’s news worthy? No it doesn’t, but here you are and friends jumping on it like its something telling about the program.

Waynos, why not report all the 1000’s of tech issues that some plane is experiencing someplace in the world on any one of the many 10,000’s of planes out there? Why is this one any different? It’s not other than the fact that you and other have an agenda against it.

What if I posted this story about a new Cessna design some guy named Ned just bought and wants to fly his grandkids around in? That news? Then why is this news?

"Hey, you all hear that Neds new plane's door got stuck?", "Yeah, they had to cut the door off...", “Wow that’s nuts, what’s for dinner?”

What’s the malfunction with this plane? A locking mechanism or a control for that mechanism? Common people, get some spice in your lives, if this is news then man things must be slow where you live. I bet the mechanism in question is no different than any on all the other types of fighters in the US inventory, just adapted. It’s a f’ing’ lock for pete’s sake! And its not like they have a pattern for this stuff, getting out and using it is the only way to refine and perfect it, no matter how much it costs.

But that somehow has turned into some big sign about the Raptor. Talk about stretching…

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee

Hmmm...So...not an important story???

Imagine a pilot making an emergency landing due to a fire on-board etc...The pilot needs to get out of there asap...but he cant?

Still think its not important???

No, It is not that big of a deal. The canopy could have been jettisoned( example ) possibly damaging the rest of the A/C. The chainsaw was most likely seen as the cheaper and safer way to go.

When ejecting the canopy, it does not just pop off, it is shot off via rocket.

I'll bite shall I? What do you mean, this one isn't real, or have I misunderstood?

All of the other images I have seen of the Raptor interior are mockups, test a/c, and computer generated. This is the first image I have seen of a combat coded f-22 avionics suite.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316
I now know how to beat every F-22 in the inventory...

nick all the WD-40 from the airbase

*If they don't have WD-40 in the US and elsewhere its spray on oil = genius invention

ermmm, in case you dont know this WD-40 was invented in the US so yeah, we have it lol.

On another note, dont let that crap get to you skippy. The USAF realises how invaluable this fighter is. We spent lots of money to develop this plane and it is well worth the money.

Who maintains air superiority in the world? we do because we spend so much money on these planes.

Look at how many of our allies are standing in line for the JSF?

If there is one market we can probably take the lead on, its selling weaponry.

the Ruskies do good to because they sell their stuff rather cheaply.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Such a shame that had to happen to such a beautiful aircraft...

Ah well, chalk it up to "(crap) happens" eh?

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

On another note, dont let that crap get to you skippy. The USAF realises how invaluable this fighter is. We spent lots of money to develop this plane and it is well worth the money.

Who maintains air superiority in the world? we do because we spend so much money on these planes.

Look at how many of our allies are standing in line for the JSF?

If there is one market we can probably take the lead on, its selling weaponry.

the Ruskies do good to because they sell their stuff rather cheaply.

Cost is irrelevant. In Vietnam multi million dollar frontline jets were shot down trying to destroy $5 bicycles.
(Expensive) F-4s, F-105s were shot down by cheap and older Mig-17/19s that did not even have AAM capabilities. The F-22 may be a great plane with great capabilities, but it is not the beet all and end all of all fighters. Every great weapon system ever built has been countered and re countered. The deciding factor in every military campaign from now until eternity will be decided with strategy, skill, and or luck.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
$180K is about average. We had an F-15A accidentally eject the canopy, and it was around $100K for it. The F-16C/D and other planes from around then and later use a gold lining in the canopy. It's to help the pilot with glare, and in the event of a nuke going off in the distance, keeps them from being flashblinded by the explosion.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Skippy you are being way over sensitive here

But does that make what is in all likelyhood a very minor technical issue something that’s news worthy? No it doesn’t, but here you are and friends jumping on it like its something telling about the program.

Even though I explicitly stated that it was not indicative of anyhting other than an amusing incident? How do you work that one out?

Waynos, why not report all the 1000’s of tech issues that some plane is experiencing someplace in the world o

If any of them are as unusual or remarkable as a pilot being stuck in his aircraft for five hours until being cut out with a chainsaw, I will.

That is the amazing thing about your ranting, the post is about what happened, I would have posted it if it had happened in a Typhoon, or and F-16 or anything else. This sort of thing is not something I have ever heard of before (the chainsaw part, not the canopy sticking part) and THAT is why I posted about it. You know what? I wonder how YOU would have replied if this had happened to a J-10 pilot? That would be very different I reckon.

Why is this one any different? It’s not other than the fact that you and other have an agenda against it.

I thought you said you weren't paranoid? What is this agenda then, enlighten me?

Maybe its when I said this in the thread entitled 'Defining the Breed - Fighters';

originally posted, and meant, by Waynos
12 F/A-22 Raptor........a whole new way of designing and building fighter planes arrives and is the biggest single improvement to fighter design since Spitfires replaced Gauntlets and P-47's replaced some very tired P-26's. Maybe evben bigger than that. The modern fighter plane is defined by the F/A-22 Raptor, the proof of this is that almost every new design revealed whether it be Russian, Chinese or whatever, in the past five years wants to be one. Long live the king.

In fact here you are, knock yourself out, let me know when you find my 'agenda' against the F-22

search of 'F-22' 'Raptor' 'Fighter' posts by Waynos

All inferences that this thread topic is supposed to be evidence that the Raptor is a piece of junk are, I'm afraid, entirely inside your own head.

edit; I don't know why but the link doesn't work, however feel free, if you wish, to carry out the same search using the terms listed (or any terms you want).

If you don't want to thats fine too but it would be nice if you could realise how wrong you are here.

[edit on 24-4-2006 by waynos]

jra

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
But this plane gets more negative attention than any on the planet

That's because it is considered to be the best that's out there at the moment, and because it is also very expensive and high tech. Of course it's going to get more attention (negative and positive) than any other fighter. Like with anything that's considered to be the best. Be it some other vehicle, country or person. It will be scrutinized by all.

So just relax. Like Waynos said at least several times. It's an amusing story. It would be just as amusing if it happened to a CF-18.

[edit on 24-4-2006 by jra]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
There ya go seeker of... That's what I mean with expirience in the field... So it's not combat, but still... That shouldn't happend...

Take a look at these and tell me if "that shouldn't happend," k?
MiG-29 Crash

A host more can be provided on most every type of aircraft, including those so-called Gen. 4, 4.5, 5 aircraft from around the world.

So basically, your point is what again exactly, Figher Master FIN?
That crap happens, whether an aircraft is "battle tested" or not?

seekerof

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Ahh...yes, a post that I can speak to...somewhat.

Think that this is within the first 50 production aircraft released! Better that the canopy would NOT open than open spontaneously, but that's just for laughs! Just kidding, of course.

Now: my paranoid friends...ask yourself, how can a canopy cost $180,000? And no, it's not a magic toilet seat!

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
What do you expect from a gold lined glass canopy? Read my post above. From the F-16C/D all canopies are lined with a thin latyer of treated gold.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
A most fun and interesting read. And I loved those pix. $180,000 doesn't seem extravagant to me; I'm sure if they had taken it to one certain body shop in my town it would have been double.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
that would blow if he had to eject in the air, and he just got smooshed.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
The Robinson R22 2 seat helicopter is $185 000, so I agree that the price of the canopy is a little steep at $182 000, but it is a specialty item.
I saw a price of $120 million for the F 22 Raptor, so in relation the canopy is cheap...

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I imagine using the canopy ejection may have cost more than just cutting through the plexiglass. The ejection charges would need replaced, possible damage inside the cockpit, the canopy frame would probrably get mangled, and the plexiglas itself would still be trashed. Not to mention the wider dispertion of FOD to be cleaned up.

On the plus side, it's probrably still under warrenty.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join