It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is love worth the heartache?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I question the very vitals of the word love. Is this one bliss feeling worth losing everything that you hold dear? Love...a term we as humans take too lightly, or so I may believe.

I've never understood the power love held until i gave my heart away. Its something so fragile that can impact your whole being. My heart was placed in a hand and that hand threw my fragile heart to the floor. After this occurance I wonder if the one brief touch of love was worth the pain I would feel for years after.

Have you ever felt that the love you gave had been taken for granted? I ponder this intense quote that has always left me breathless.

Is it better to have loved and lost, then to have never loved at all?

Now I do not know who spoke those words, or even if the quote is entirely correct at all. All I ask is to know, is love worth the heartache afterwards?

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
One of my favorite quotes is "Nothing last forever, the good, or the bad."
Im not saying that good things always happens to good people but it happens and some times its best to just be ok with it.
I mean the first guy i ever slept with is in jail for a min. of 49 years. There was a lot of lyes in that relationship, but he got his just dessert... did i spell that right, sorry if i didn't. If you need me to exspan what i mean you can u2u me

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 03:54 AM
link   
The word love is thrown around too much I think. Personally I don't care if i'm not loved and shown affection by other humans. I have my dog and the horses, All the love i'll ever need is of them angels.

The people think they can't live without love are normally the ones who get hurt the most, People need to learn that you can't survive on love alone. It isn't the most important thing in the world!!

Have you ever felt that the love you gave had been taken for granted?

Yes. Which is why I am ever so carefull when I say it now. I will only say 'I love you' it if I Know I mean it.

Is the pain worth it?? What pain
It only hurts if you let it

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Interesting question. I'd say yes.

There's no such thing as a free meal, and the better the meal, the more your likely to pay. To me, love is the most important thing, and the pain that comes with it is a more than acceptable price. When I hear people say they don't need love, I think they haven't found love, just something that feels like it. Real love is worth every lash of lifes whip, even when it feels like too much.

"Is love worth the Heartache Afterwards?" Yes, the pain of the "after" be it from a split or a death, doesn't compare to the joy of the Love. IMO, of course.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by contemplate_mortality
All I ask is to know, is love worth the heartache afterwards?

Well if you had asked me this time last year i would have said no. I had the worst ending to a relationship ever in the beginning of 2005. After that i thought i would never love someone again.

Wow how wrong was i, i met my current girlfriend and we have just hit it off so well. Now i battled with my feelings over her for a long time, my friends must of hated me by the time i figured out what i wanted. I was worried about getting hurt to much. But i realized that i couldn't pretend that i didn't love her anymore. So i finally built up the bottle to tell her. Now she said she felt the same, which was amazing to be honest. Now were happy and were moving soon, into mine and hopefully her dream house.

Now i do agree that people use the word love too easily. I don't play with peoples emotions as i know what happens, so i would never say 'i love you' unless i really mean it. Well look at the battle with myself i had, before i realized i loved my babe.

Originally posted by crookedblue
Yes. Which is why I am ever so carefull when I say it now. I will only say 'I love you' it if I Know I mean it.

[edit on 25-4-2006 by picklewalsh]

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
For me I have been hurt an endless amount of times. THis makes me question if it was all worth it in the end. I am a romantic and beleive in love, but I question its worth. Thank you to everyone who gave imput. Im still undecided on this specific topic.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Having never been in love (37 years old and a Love virgin) I can only guess. Most of my firends swear it is 100% worth it when it's going well.

When it sours, I hear that they never want to fall in love again.

I abstain. Like is about as much as I can muster to be honest. My head rules, heart drools I guess.

Nice work if you can get it.... (like that song

Drives my boyfriend crazy though...he says it makes it hard to plan for the future. But I ask, what the hell has love got to do with it? (another good song!)

I think I'm "companion" material rather than forever material.

Love is terribly impractical and inconvenient. At least in the "in love" meaning...

Before anyone sends me a dead fish. or accuses me of being heartless LOL...I do love many people(family, friends etc) - I've just never been IN love not do I plan to.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   
These words are ones passed down to me in fact.

Love is fleeting, grasp it well you can and let it go when you have to.
By living in the moment and falling in love as often as possible you may find the true love of your life.

As for the pain, Time heals, so does love.

Find new love, love makes the world go round and makes heroes out of some. Just be strong and you'll know when the strife is well worth it because you'll eventually have that love, if you keep searching.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by contemplate_mortality
For me I have been hurt an endless amount of times. THis makes me question if it was all worth it in the end. I am a romantic and beleive in love, but I question its worth. Thank you to everyone who gave imput. Im still undecided on this specific topic.

i am also a hopeless romantic, still waitin to be swept of my feet, happened once but turned out, it was only an infatuation...

u say u get hurt many times, how often do u give ur heart away?? relax and take it easy...

peace

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I've been dumped so many times that I've come to expect it. I have become an expert in detecting the signs before it happens. I think it has something to do with the people I hang out with and my life style. Still the pain is minuscule compared to the pleasure and the friends it is possible to make if you are able to apply rule 62.

rottonR101s' advice, for me took awhile to sink in but....relax and take it easy....is truly the key in a relationship; between friends, lovers or folks on the interstate.

Yeah, Peace

[edit on 28-4-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The most recent experience that left me devistated, it mainly included this extrodinary male I met.. He just seemed to be different than the other idiots I have dated in the past. He left be because after dating he only felt friendship, when I was confused about what I felt. I also have a wonderful history of dating cheaters, that eventually fall for my best friends. For rotten, I guess maybe a couple. I try to let it go but for some odd reason things just love to hang over my head, taunting me. Magickesists, nice words. However, that is all they are words. It can be easily said but not always followed through or found even for that matter. I guess I'm just to tried to extend my hand, when all others do is slap it away. Thankz for the advice everyone. Any thoughts?

[edit on [37042]023030p: by contemplate_mortality]

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Love is a drug. And like any drug, some people can handle it and some people can't. The biggest problem is that our society has made an entire industry out of it, and they work very hard to convince you that you must be in love and if you're not, something's wrong with you.

In spite of all the misery and pain and actual death and murder and suicide it causes, it continues to be heavily encouraged by society.

Avoid it if you can. If you can't, try not to lose perspective on it. It's a chemical reaction, just like being on a speedball, and it's easy to get lost in it.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enkidu
Love is a drug. And like any drug, some people can handle it and some people can't.

Yep, I'm a Love Junky! And I'll gladly suffer the withdrawals for that subtle, sweet, Ecstasy of a connection that is like no other. Gimmie more and I'll return it as best I can.

Sadly I'm not in love right now and Ive got the heebee jeebees so bad my brain hurts!

My best friends are my ex lovers.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I have been wondering, is it worthwhile to go through all those incredibly awful dates to find "the one"? I recently went out on a date that was, well it is hard to even describe how horrid it was. The question I am wondering is going through the whole process of dating and heartache worth the overall result? From my experiences lately, I am beginning to disbelieve in the whole aspect of true love, and the potential happiness it brings.

I'm not a horrid person by any means; I just am slowly finding my limits to the opposite sex. Is that so bad? Any thoughts?

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I dared to love three times and got hurt three times. To me love isnt the most important thing anymore, it used to be not now. i just get on with life and try to enjoy it. if i find love on the way then i consider that a bonus.

[edit on 29-5-2006 by rustiswordz]

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I agree that some people seem to be love dependent. I think true love is caring for another person or thing. I share this uncondtional love with my iguana and I don't care if people think it's dumb or childish, they're the ones that are being childish if they think they can't go on in life without someone else kissing their rear-ends all the time.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Its important to find love because without it then how are you going to let all ur friends how much other people love you.

Like.. When im with my girlfriend, im like yo, check it out, this fine lady 'loves me' and they are all like 'whoa, ur so cool nephyx' and im like 'yeah and we have sex n stuff too' and they are like 'WHOAAA'

This is why love is important.

Whenever my girlfriend is not around, I find love with a prostitute, then break up with her after we have sex.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   
absolutely...

of course it is. Who wants to live a life without love?

You cant have one without the other. And what other way can you experience bitterness, rejection, anger, hate, revenge and all those other emotions?

*cough...oh yes, joy, laughter and happiness too

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Of course, it's the 4th of July, and Frau Dr. is back from her conference, and we didn't even get out of bed until 9:30 (even though we were awake at 8 . . .)

The kids are watching a Tom and Jerry marathon out in the game-room, and we're hosting a party tonight. . . .

Yes, love is worth the cost.

But you have to understand, Frau Dr. would tell you, that although we love each other dearly, we take responsibility for OUR OWN happiness. If she is in a bad mood, that ultimately, it's not my fault---only she can decide to make herself happy. The partner doesn't have the power to "fix" you, and is not responsible for making your life perfect.

My love is a choice

I choose to love her. If she went crazy or hurt me or the kids, I would withdraw that love in a heartbeat. And I know she is the same.

Love is not helplessness; it's a mutual respect and closeness born out of reverence for the other person, not out of my own selfish demands.

It is a skill.

Most people in this world don't know how to love. They cannot show or give love, and don't know how to respond in a healthy way when you try to love them. Most of them want to BE LOVED, without giving of themselves in return.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I've never understood the power love held until i gave my heart away. Its something so fragile that can impact your whole being. My heart was placed in a hand and that hand threw my fragile heart to the floor. After this occurance I wonder if the one brief touch of love was worth the pain I would feel for years after.

Oi!!..soft lad...get a grip..plenty more fish in the sea..so go get a 'racing' fish.....

LOVE...is it worth it?.....

when you see her standing there, gleaming in the sunlight on tick over, fuelled up and ready to go..sure real (ferrari) love grips the heart...but when the bitch needs servicing and a timing belt change...thats when you realise love hurts...

"Love is the triumph of imagination over common sense"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join