It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick question: What's the meaning of life?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Arius, I'm so very glad that you've concluded that the rest of us have fallen short in knowing the true meaning of life. It is here that I find your arrogant and completely unconstructive comment lacking in a sound argument. How do you tell a man that what has made his life the most fullfilling and happy that it could be, that he has been doing it wrong? If this is what you would feed to the masses, then I say keep whatever so called "answers" that you would offer. It is better to be happy in poverty believing yourself rich, than to have everything in the world and find emptiness within. Chew on that and then come back and tell everyone that they fall short in describing the meaning of life as what they make of it. You seem to be the one lacking in an acceptable answer, and nearly anything in this particular topic could pass. I have to hand it to ya, it takes quite a bit to fall short on this one. Have a nice day

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
May a man reason with an ant?

Even so,
fullfillment is an emotional state
reason is a directive
yet meaning is illusive

meaning is not subjective
the answer is not different based on the beholder
there is but one answer to all things and it is the meaning of life

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by backpain

that is a good point.

do you believe that civilization can give us ultimate imortality (knowledge and understanding)?

are we still on track? are we passing down more knowledge of what it means to be human? are we in a rut?

although many nations fund plenty of money into research to understand physics and biology, it seems that small articles in news papers and short clips on the 5 pm news is not exactly making these understandings a way of life, infact most of us dont really care.

Thats a interesting point, but I was really talking more about our children being what is in a sense imortality most of us can achieve. When can in a sense live on in their memory and their very genes. There is of course more then just shooting our genetic information around because the knowledge we impart too our offspring is of vital importance as it shapes them in many ways which can help or hinder their chances for survival and reproduction.

You seemed to raise the questions from a much larger scale then I from a stand point of civilization itself. Its a interesting and IMO complex question to ponder.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'm sorry, I just won't continue a serious conversation with somebody who thinks that their answer to the meaning of life is all there is to be said, and that all the people who have expressed opinions here are wrong and couldnt be farther from the truth. Good luck with your cult, I hope you get far with that. By the way, you'll probably have better luck getting people to listen to what you have to say if you are as open minded as everyone else seems to be.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
completely off subject, but being new please allow me a bit of leway for a moment. How do I copy a quote from another posting into the body of my own responses, as everyone else is doing with relative ease? I found the little speech bubble, but do I have to copy everything word for word, put in the user code, or what?

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Here's one definition from an online dictionary.

source: dictionary.reference.com...
Living organisms considered as a group.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Many people assume that because they personally don't have an answer to the question posed in the title of this thread, no-one does.

Who's to say there is no definitive answer?
Who's to say no-one definately knows or can know the answer(s)?
Would you want to know if you were certain definitive answers were available?
What if those answers did not suit you?
Would you prefer to believe that ignorance is bliss?
Maybe there are different purposes depending on who and what you are?

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by EdenKaia
completely off subject, but being new please allow me a bit of leway for a moment. How do I copy a quote from another posting into the body of my own responses, as everyone else is doing with relative ease? I found the little speech bubble, but do I have to copy everything word for word, put in the user code, or what?

You use the [ quote ] (text goes here) [ /quote ] tags, without the spaces.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The purpose of life is to live it. Do the best you can with whatever you have to work with. Preparation for the next step. And if there is no next step, then there is no basic meaning. Other than to do the best you can with whatever you have to work with.

Gunga galunga.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
HA
The meaning of Life?
"To crush your enemies,
see them driven before you,
and hear the lamentation of the women."

top topics

<< 1   >>

join