It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laptop power issue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I wanted some folks opinion on something. My uncle got a crappy HP laptop about 2 years ago and a few months back, someone he lent it to dropped it and the power jack pin broke. He spent $200 to a local PC place to replace the pin (the motherboard was just fine) so they replaced the pin and threw in a free adapter. Recently, the same problems are occuring but the pin is stable, not wobbling or anything and the thing won't charge when you want it to. If you do finally get it in just the right position, it will charge for a while before the charge light flickers. Best guess is that the connection isn't very good. What I wanted input on was Is it really worth it to repair it again? I mean, the problem was supposed to be solved but now its back so wouldn't it be more wise to just buy a new laptop? (and avoid dropping it, especially at weird angles)

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   
If it was me I would repair it myself, but as everyone is not handy as I am, I would strongly suggest taking it back to where it was originally repaired.

The free adapter that they 'threw in', why did they have to do that? What happened to the original adapter?

I am thinking that the adapter is not rated properly for the laptop.

Does the adapter feel overly warm when it is working? Maybe all that needs to be replaced, is the adapter that they 'threw in'....

Also, I would never lend my laptop to anyone. but that's only my personal opinion.

Just my 2 cents.

[edit on 4/19/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   
MY wife does this to laptops..Over and over again!
Same problem, different machine..A Gateway, and IBM, even an HP.
Right now the HP has the same problem as you did..The pin has been pushed inside..
So I am familiar with the "jiggle 'til it works" scenario. LOL

You might try taking it down to a computer store, and having them try one of the universal adapters. Kensington makes a few models.
See if they will plug one in for you, and see if the laptop lights up easily..
If it does, the adapter plug may be bad..This happened to one of the many ones I had to deal with. A wire was broken inside the adapter's power cable, right at the plug..
The adapters average about 60-70 bucks.

If it doesn't..Then you have a prob with the inside again.
By chance, do you remember if an extended warranty was purchased?
I usually don't buy them, but for laptops, they are usually a must have, because they are so proprietary, and tough to work on..

Good luck my friend!

[edit on 19-4-2006 by spacedoubt]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 02:12 AM
link   
It sounds like if you know what you're doing, you can fix that problem for a few bucks at most by straightening out or replacing a wire or some simple part.

If you have a friend that's into electronics, or anybody that's handy with repairing stuff like that, try handing it over to them to find where the connection is dropping. It sounds like the circuit is momentarily opening, or at least that's what it sounds like to me because I've had the same problem with appliances in the past when there's an input jack that gets pushed around and starts bending parts on the inside.

The absolute worst I can imagine is having to replace a wire, and maybe having to solder a spot or two, but I'm no engineer. If that's the case then it shouldn't cost much at all to replace that, and if you did a good job you probably wouldn't have to worry about it again for a while.

And as SpaceDoubt pointed out, could just be the adaptor (gave it to you for free, right? maybe it was a conspiracy to get you to come back
).

[edit on 19-4-2006 by bsbray11]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 04:46 AM
link   
the laptop may be out of warranty, but if the repair was made only a few months ago surely the repair should have come with some sort of guarantee?
Perhaps you should take it back to the PC shop and complain.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I'll try messing with the original adapter and see if it helps. I don't know why they used a different adapter, but whatever the reason, they gave it to us to test the laptop to ensure it works and the guy said it's ours (no clue why) The warranty is pretty much dead so that's not going to help. I compared the two adapters power information, they were slightly different so I hope that didn't cause any permanent damage. Thanks for the help

update: The original adapter made a huge improvement, alot easier for the charging light to come on. But there is still a problem with it going out and coming back. I turned it on and the tray icon kept changing between the battery and the AC.

[edit on 19-4-2006 by DemonicAngelZero]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
DemonicAngelZero,

Just curious as to whether you have gotten your issue resolved.

Mechanic 32.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Heh, I am using the original adapter with little to no problem. If I don't move the laptop, it will charge and stay on without any problem. But if I move it any, the charge/power light has a good chance of going out again. So it's usable, as long as it's on a table or stand.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I was just about to ask how it went.
Good to hear that not all is lost!
I have to send mine out for repair.

I have the extended service plan, but it will sitll be a 2 week turnaround I'm guessing..

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Good to hear, DAZ!

And spacedoubt, good luck! I hope it's covered.

new topics

top topics

join