It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EXCLUSIVE: Huge Global Dust Storms Darken Skies and Parch the Earth.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
We can aim/tickle the weather, but we cant create it yet... (as far as we know)

cloud seeding is a well known technique to trick clouds into dropping moisture before they were ready... hopefully over drought areas, instead of over an ocean for example...

But if the president has his way, we will be manufacturing weather in no time...
weather modification bill

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Nope no red snow here. However, the little rain we have gotten has been so dirty, it leaves dust all over everything. Here in Missouri, we have already had at least 2 days in the 90's one was 97 degrees, and quite a few in the upper 80's. We dont see this kind of heat until mid/late July on a warm year, and mid August on a normal year. That with the strong winds is drying us out something terrible. I really think the only reason we dont look like a desert right now is because we are all watering. I am sure they will be rationing the water soon. The storms we have had drops larger hail than I have ever seen, offers up a lightning show that is out of this world, but only a few raindrops might fall. The meteorologists have no clue what is going on. Take today for instance. They said this morning it was going to be 79, they changed it at noon to 83, by 3 it was 90. It is scary now, but I dont even want to think of what this summer is going to be like. I remember they said back in I think February, (will have to look it up) that this years weather pattern was the same as it was back in the dust bowl. Not a nice thought. How do you prepare for a dust bowl......especially such a large one?

EDIT: changed that 87 degrees to 90 (my thermometer says 92) and climbing

[edit on 18-4-2006 by mrsdudara]

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
You have voted Regenmacher for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

I couldn't help but give praise for a wonderfully researched thread.

Couldn't help but to post this here also:

Revelation 16:8-9

8. And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire.

9. And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.

It wasn't my intention to bring up religion/prophecy in this thread but doesn't it seem like a coincidence that what's happening around the world now was foretold centuries ago?

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher

NOVA's "Dimming the Sun" premieres tomorrow on April 18th.

Is global dimming masking the full impact of global warming? Some climate experts worry that it is, with the possible consequence that as we reduce pollution, the climate will heat up to unprecedented levels.
www.pbs.org...

Thanks for the heads-up on the program.

I saw it tonight.

It was well done and explained the global dimming phenomenon in great detail. I finally understand it. I didn't realise that two separate data sets from different observations (pan evaporation rate and measurements of sunlight reaching the ground) confirmed the same finding. That and the data from the Maldives research.

Carbon dioxide (warming) v. particulates (cooling) in a tug of war.

I guess the "pan evaporation rate" decreasing explains the rise of these dust storms and the droughts we are seeing recently (remember Europe last summer?). Less moisture is making it to the atmosphere and the moisture that is there stays aloft longer due to the particulates thus affecting global weather patterns.

We are truly fracked aren't we?

[edit on 4/18/2006 by Gools]

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Add to all these problems that NASA has said that starting this year, or next and up to the year 2012-2013, the sun's activity is going to increase 30%-50%.

I have said it many times, people really need to make contingency plans for anything that could happen. This year's hurricane season will be as bad or worse than last year, but there are still people who want to rebuild in NO and other areas which have been affected.

Believe it or not, if the Sun's activity continues to increase, a Mad Max scenario that Regen mentioned, is very possible to occur in the future.

[edit on 18-4-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Way Above.

Just wanted to say that this was a great and impressive post made by you, Regenmacher, and exceptional follow-up.

Great piece and work.

seekerof

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I have posted the following before, but here is another excerpt and link on what I said above.

Sun-spawned cosmic storms that can play havoc with earthly power grids and orbiting satellites could be 50 percent stronger in the next 11-year solar cycle than in the last one, scientists said yesterday.

Using a new model that takes into account the sun's subsurface activity and data about previous solar cycles, astronomers offered a long-range forecast for solar activity that could start as soon as this year or as late as 2008.

www.washingtonpost.com...

BTW Regenmacher, good job.

[edit on 18-4-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher

2005 dust storm rides the Superstition Freeway - Mesa, AZ

this is nothing new. i lived in phoenix for 2 years back in the 80's an we had a half a dozen dust storms each year there

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Not sure about droughts/what not in North America, but the Chinese yellow dust storms, or as we call 'em over here 黄砂, are a normal, yearly occurence for folks living in Asia, guys. Yeah, it's caused by Chinese desertificaton, but it's definitely not breaking news.

If anything, it's a pain in the ass, especially if there's any moisture in the air at the time, as it ends up raining mud.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 12:55 AM
link   
We got front row seats to the end of the Earth!

There some biblical propheseys that went something like this.
Might be a good time to get yourself right with God and do a rain dance or two...

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Great post WAY ABOVE!!!

I watched the Nova special on Global Dimming and finally its like another piece of the puzzle I cant wait till we learn the rest of what makes our world go round.

I would be interested in seeing if there is any cross-correlation between the aberant/extreme weather that is occuring allover the globe . What i mean by that is while some of these Dust storms we are seeing and other various extreme weather anomolies...they usuaully occur with varying frequencies. Have those frequencies increased and is there greater crosscorrellation now then there was before? This is all very interesting makes one wonder if this is the build up to some end times/2012/new age thing.

Interesting times indeed!!!

El senor pom pom rides again

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Drought situation doesn't look quite so bad to me. This is the Drought Map for April (last updated 10th April 2006):-

Incidently, the UK doesn't show up well despite the fact some parts of England have had only 50% of average rainfall so far this year (and under global warming scenarios we're supposed to have wetter winters....)

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
We are truly fracked aren't we?

Yeah, the program was interesting how they surmised that the photons are actually responsible for releasing the water into the atmophere.

I would debate if drought and pollution is better than higher levels of global warming in that if there is no rain the land truelly dies. Decreasing the particulates/pollution would return the evaporation rates to norms and the clouds would produce rain. If more evaporation was occuring, the act in itself has a cooling effect. These brown clouds don't help at all with heat transfer.

I wonder if they studied rain fall on the days all the air traffic was halted?

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   
by the way, Regen, I too voted you Way Above on this one.

Here in the midwest, the meteorologists are now saying that the last time our weather pattern was like this, it lead to the dust bowl back in the 30's. The big difference is that our hot weather is now breaking the records from back then. He said last night that the only chance of rain we are going to see is a small percent in a few days. He said more than likely nothing will come of it. He also said that with the pressure system setting up, our temps are only going to get hotter, and we are not going to get any rain. He said that in 45 days we are going to be begging for rain.

I am trying not to get worked up about this. Someone said that the drought map above does not look so bad. Well, here in the midwest, this is our rainy season. For us to be heading that direction already is not good. Also, that map is bassed on rainfall amounts. What it does not mention is that we have been in the 90's with 30mph winds. Any rain we have had has evaporated by the next day. There are many people around here in the farming industry. It is very sad to think these people could very well loose everything because of this. We had a drought a few years back, that hit them hard. That was a late summer drought though which is not that uncommon for here. For a drought as severe as they are talking about, and starting in April, we are talking no crops and no cattle.

[edit on 19-4-2006 by mrsdudara]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
We can aim/tickle the weather, but we cant create it yet... (as far as we know)

I read this morning that China was going to use 'artificial rain' to clear some of the dust.

Link: www.breitbart.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigx01
this is nothing new. i lived in phoenix for 2 years back in the 80's an we had a half a dozen dust storms each year there

New as in bigger, more often and drier than ever.

Size and frequency of dust storms are increasing and this in turn increases the potential for wild fires, which leads to more top soil erosion, more soot and particulates in the atmosphere and less rain...ad infintum.

Phoenix is entering it's 11th year of record breaking severe drought and the haboobs are at record sizes. Dust storms are more abundant each year of drought and as the metro grows, so does the pollution, respiratory disease and water usage. This winter was the driest in Arizona in 500+ years.

Sonoran dust storms today are likely to not have any rain following them, due to the heat dome effect and high particulates that kill precipitation events entering the populated regions . The state of Arizona in 2002 had its worst wildfire in its history, when the Rodeo-Chediski fire took out almost 500,000 acres of prime Ponderosa forests, and the current drought conditions point to another record wildfire season for 2006.

Rodeo-Chediski fire

State could have its driest winter season in centuries - USA Today
Arizona's mountains are virtually bare, with snowpack conditions worse than they were at the same time in 2002 — a year that set records as one of the driest in five centuries.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Southeast Arizona Drought Monitoring
Arizona goes on 'red' alert over drought

North American Drought Monitor

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
~~

Last night, tuesday the 18th of April,
during one of the top-of-the-hour news interludes
(on the coast-2-coast radio program)

it was reported that China is going to either
'seed the clouds' or whatever, to cause rain
in an attempt to remedy the Yellow Dust problem
which has befallen them.

i also wonder why HAARP has not been seen as a factor, possible cause,
or even a method to generate the rain storms that China desires as a remedy to the dust-storm phenomena??

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Drought situation doesn't look quite so bad to me. Incidently, the UK doesn't show up well despite the fact some parts of England have had only 50% of average rainfall so far this year (and under global warming scenarios we're supposed to have wetter winters....)

Your posted and was looking at 9 month map. Look at the other maps. Winter season maps at 3 month and 6 months indicate snowfall has been dramatically reduced for 2005/2006.

Can look here for more global and regional climate data:
Europe Monthly Precipitation Anomaly
IRI Map Room Global and regional weather and climate maps
National Drought Mitigation Center -lots of links

England Limits Water Use as Worst Drought in a Century Looms

[edit on 19-4-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by HokkaidoHillbilly
Yeah, it's caused by Chinese desertificaton, but it's definitely not breaking news.

Breaking as in the mass and frequency are rising and unprecedented on a global scale and which in turn will lead to global famine if the pattern continues.

Frequency of sandstorms on the rise
Environmentalists have long warned of the deteriorating problems of desertification, drought and severe sandstorms in northern China. Beijing is struck on average by six sandstorms a year, but local media pointed out this was the seventh and worst so far in 2006. By comparison, there were five severe sandstorms in the entire decade of the 1950s, eight in the 1960s, and 14 in the 1980s. The frequency is rising.

Experts warn that the sandstorms are caused by decades of environmental degradation that will not be rectified in the short-term. Rather than Mongolia’s Gobi Desert, the storms mainly originated in drought-afflicted areas of the province, where overgrazing and over-irrigation have caused water shortages and soil erosion. ”People overdeveloped farmland and exposed the soil,” Professor Lui Shurun of the Inner Mongolia Normal University told the South China Morning Post. ”Excessive herding caused the grasslands to degenerate. And excessive irrigation in some lakes can exhaust water supplies in other areas."

Worst sandstorm destroys Beijing air quality
On March 20, 2002, Beijing had been under the grip of a sandstorm for more than 51 hours with total sand precipitation reaching 30,000 tons. However, the record was broken last night when this sandstorm reached 300,000 tons, according to the Beijing Meteorological Bureau.

[edit on 19-4-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Just a point regarding drought.
Doesn't the decrease of water coming down, start to depleat underground aquifers also?

if that is the case, then sinkholes will start to be a serious problem in these drought stricken areas.

what about the lack of water in earthquake zones...
isn't water one of the things that moderates earth movement (making more smooth action, vs cracking/snapping action)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join