It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAF Doctor Refused to Fight Illegal Iraq War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Independant

An RAF doctor on trial for refusing to serve in Iraq told a court martial yesterday that he refused to go because the war was against "international law, the Nuremberg principles and the rules of armed conflict".

Flight Lieutenant Malcolm Kendall-Smith, the first member of the armed forces to be charged with disobeying orders to deploy in Iraq, said he had come to his decision after researching the legal advice given to Tony Blair by the Attorney General, Lord Goldsmith.

The officer, who has dual British and New Zealand nationality, told the hearing that he had "two great loves in my life, medicine and the Royal Air Force. To take the decision that I have saddens me greatly but I feel that I have no other choice."

His words:

"I believe the occupation of Iraq is illegal... and for me to comply... would put me in conflict with both domestic and international law. The illegality of the use of force against Iraq was the only reason I could not follow this order... [and] was the only reason for my resignation.

I would, in fact, refuse the orders as a duty under international law, the Nuremburg principles and the law of armed conflict...

I was subjected, as was the entire population, to propaganda depicting force against Iraq to be lawful but it was not until the middle of 2004 that I researched and found that not to be the case."

Well what can I say - We Need More Doctors Like Him!

I guess people are Slowly waking up - even those that serve in the Military in Iraq.

Related News:
RAF man jailed for refusing Iraq duty

[edit on 13/4/06 by Souljah]

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
And today:

RAF Doctor jailed and dishonourable discharge

thats what you get for disobeying orders.

An RAF doctor who refused to serve in Iraq has been sentenced to eight months in jail and dismissed from the service.
Flt Lt Malcolm Kendall-Smith, 37, was found guilty of five charges of disobeying orders after he refused to go to Basra last June.

He claimed his actions were justified as the UK involvement was illegal.

But a court martial panel agreed with prosecution lawyers that the doctor, based at RAF Kinloss in Scotland, could not "pick and choose" orders he obeyed.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
IMO he deserved every single year given to him! He's a doctor.. paid to help OUR troops and possibly civilians or normal Iraqis.. I'm quite glad he has been sentanced!

[edit on 13-4-2006 by Knights]

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Knights
IMO he deserved every single year given to him! He's a doctor.. paid to help OUR troops and possibly civilians or normal Iraqis.. I'm quite glad he has been sentanced!

And apparently he is also a man who thinks with his own head and a man with a lot of balls to say that Iraqi "Liberation" is against "international law, the Nuremberg principles and the rules of armed conflict".

And he is RIGHT.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

Originally posted by Knights

And apparently he is also a man who thinks with his own head and a man with a lot of balls to say that Iraqi "Liberation" is against "international law, the Nuremberg principles and the rules of armed conflict".

And he is RIGHT.

yeah souljah, and the war crimes in your homeland are just peachy.

If anyone bought the line that this was for the "Iraqis" than you are way too naive. Bush is corrupt, just as is every single politician. The real reason for Iraq was a mid-east US military presence other than turkey or saudi arabia.

Bush wont be president for much longer anyway and then we can all have a go when we get that genius hillary friggin clinton in office.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

And he is RIGHT.

No he was not right. The Canadians were Invited into the country therefore his allegals that it is illegal were wrong.

An RAF Prosecuting Authority spokesman said: "British troops are operating in Iraq under a United Nations mandate and at the invitation of the Iraqi government."

RAF spokeswoman Wing Commander Ailsa Gough added that the MoD noted the court had upheld the fact that, under the Air Force Act 1955, the orders given "were lawful and, therefore, should have been obeyed".

BBC News

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Since when do soldiers become picky when picking which war to fight? The military was not meant for you to go overseas and just enjoy the world.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Hes a doctor, hed be there to save lives not take them, whats his problem?

Im sorry Sir i cant go to iraq, Saving a fellow soldiers life goes against what i believe in

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Since when do soldiers become picky when picking which war to fight? The military was not meant for you to go overseas and just enjoy the world.

most people sign up to defend their country against a threat
not to be that threat that they signed up to defend their country from.

even so its kind of stupid since he is a docter and would be saving lives not taking them

[edit on 13-4-2006 by bodrul]

new topics

top topics

join