It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Members: Your thoughts on a more secure ATS.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
However, it represents our continued concern in making sure we respond to the needs and desires of our members, and we've always been proactive in that regard.

I will say that you guys run a pretty good site. Kuddos for all the effort you put into it Skeptic.

Gods Peace

dalen

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
A more secure site would certainly keep me out.

Cug

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotClever
Well, they're not getting that type of information from data packets.

But they were working with AT&T now part of SBC who does have that data.

However, they can discover that "Cug" is possibly in S. Bend IN, was born in Jan. of 1968, and has a possible interest in the occult.

15 sec and you got... Nothing
or do you? This is the inTARnet, where half of the hot blonde girls are guys.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I wasn't attempting to start an argument. Just pointing out how some Internet users may reveal information that may seem innocuous or innocent. I'm completely aware you.."Cug"...may not be what is advertised.

NC

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotClever
may not be what is advertised.

This is also an issue.

Very recently, a vocal and hostile member turned out to be accessing ATS form the Navy Intelligence network. He even sent us threats to hack this website while using the Navy Intelligence network. We've disabled his account and reported him.

We might share more on this soon.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   

accessing ATS form the Navy Intelligence network. He even sent us threats to hack this website while using the Navy Intelligence network.

Weirdly coincidental;
www.belowtopsecret.com...

NC

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
What about helping the members protect them self?

I´m sure there are a lot of members that know exactly what to do to be as anonymous as possible on the net.

How about a "Idiots guide for Paraniod surfers"?

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Davey Jones' Mocker

He even sent us threats to hack this website while using the Navy Intelligence network.

Doesn't sound very intelligent to me.

Unless the Navy's changed dramatically in the last twenty years (which I doubt), this guy is toast.

Even assuming the Navy has an interest in ATS, I would think they would be a little smarter about it than this.

On the other hand...

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Keep it as it is.

I have no problems at all with the way things are done here. If someone use my email address, then fine, it was my choice to display it in the first place.

No matter what precautions you take to make ATS a more secure place, there will always be someone or some 'agency' out there trying to crack it.
Let them watch and learn is what i say. Big Brother, eat your heart out.

After all, we say nothing that is not readily available else where on the Web.
We have nothing to hide or cover up.
OR DO WE?

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
so who here is prepared to give up their internet liberty for security?

are you so afraid to voice your thoughts in public, rather than be proud of them?

do you so willingly give up your right to free speech?

do you honestly think they couldnt access secure socket sites anyway?

what (or who) exactly are you afraid of?

what do you have to hide?

i think the site is fine as it is. there is enough work involved in running it already im sure. the only time you should really worry is when they start shutting down sites like this.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
the only time you should really worry is when they start shutting down sites like this.

They will never shut this site down. After all, they learn too much from us

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I think things are fine the way they are.

If I was that concerned about my posting habits, I wouldn't be posting on a public board.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Forget SSL. If the government truly thought there was something on this message board worth looking into they would confiscate the server(s) that everything is stored on. Being stored in another country will not prevent the servers from being confiscated. The servers contain the IP addresses of all the posters so they would still be able to learn who posted what even though SSL was used. SSL will not protect anybody and will only serve as a performance-detriment.

If ATS wants to improve their message board then a "Report" button should be placed on posts. There are tons of stickies in the forums saying things like "no scoffing" yet the topics in the forum are ~30% scoffing, ~60% nonsense, and only ~10% actual discussion. Nothing is being done about this incredibly bad signal-to-noise ratio. This is a bigger problem than the AT&T-paranoia problem, in my honest opinion.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tommy1701
I really don't think there is a need for more security here at ATS.
:
I know the cruel, evil, unjust, phsyco u.s. government with the evil dictator Bush is watching us here at ATS.
:
I can't remember when i laughed so much.

You've pretty much summed up my feelings on this. Nothing more than stirring up a pot where there is no fire.

I'm already on a ton of "lists". "Good lists", if you will. And I'm not alone in that distinction here at ATS, I can tell you.

The day that the gov't would go fishing at ATS for bad guys is the day it would be too late anyway.

To paraphrase a wise old adage, "Those who would give up speed for security deserve neither".

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Fine by me. I can do 20 posts in a day, if you need me to Skeptic.

Can we report "cyber stalkers" or have a thing on them?

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Well SO, the consensus appears to be 'leave it like it is'. That's the way I'll vote.

NC

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
SO...you're kidding right? You do realize, you just asked the equivalent to the same question asked after 9/11?

"Would you give up some of your freedoms to feel more secure?"

Why isn't anyone suing these idiots at AT&T or the NSA...for giving up Internet Traffic?

I see no "terrorist actions" going on here...just a lot of speculation.

So, why the need for them to track what we say?

I doubt My thoughts on this will be listened to, at all.

I say nay...doesn't need to be more secure.

[edit on 12-4-2006 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Im good with whatever you guys decide to do, seems you've made pretty good choices in the past to get this site where its at now, and I trust that the right ones willl continue to be made. And its good to know also that you have the members best interests in the forefront of things, keep up the good work, and Im certain the confidence of the members will contiue to grow.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   
ok in reading everything folks are saying, I think it is a good idea to make this available for purchase in the store......
Magic has really stated this case well.........I agree with him.

There ARE folks who would like some 'extra' buffer of protection depending on the post they are making......regular BTS laughs have no real need for extra encryption but someone speaking from some type of detainment camp may really need it...............so make it an option.
Good thinking SO......

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I think it would be a good idea, lets set a match!
Here-here.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join