It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Five Favourite Films?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Five I particularly like are:

Monty Python's Life of Brian
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Malcolm X
Bulworth
Glory

Having said that, I feel that there are some that 'go without saying' such as the original Star Wars Trilogy and LOTR trilogy.

It's too hard to simply pick 5 of the best though. Some of the oldies are excellent such as 'It's a Wonderful Life' and 'The Cruel Sea'.

In terms of recent film's I just watched a film called 'Kung Fu Hustle'. It was awesome IMO - a great blend of comedy, martial arts and CGI and was slightly better than 'Shaolin Soccer' that went before it....

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
OK, I'll play...

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
One of the few true science-fiction films, and the greatest of them. Both thought-provoking and hugely entertaining, it's a wonderful immersive experience. Literally "awesome."

RIO BRAVO
it's generally agreed that the three greatest westerns, arrangeable by personal taste, are THE SEARCHERS, RED RIVER, and my named choice here, RIO BRAVO. Howard Hawks' and John Wayne's response to the thoughtless HIGH NOON, this film is everything a Western should be, and with Dean Martin singing duets with Ricky Nelson!

ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE
The best James Bond movie ever made is also the one that most closely follows its Ian Fleming source material. Duh! Great writing, gorgeous photography, taut direction, brilliant score, and fantastic acting. Even one-off 007 newbie George Lazenby holds his own against Telly Savalas, Diana Rigg, and the long shadow of the recently departed Sean Connery. If you've never seen it, make sure that you do. You'll be amazed and impressed.

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
Recently voted as the single greatest performance ever put on film, Peter O'Toole's embodiment of T.E.Lawrence is a marvelous sight to behold. And David Lean's film is big enough to contain it. This is what epic moviemaking is all about; grandly conceived and executed, it tells the story of a man who quite literally changed the world.

NORTH BY NORTHWEST
Fun, fun, fun. Exciting, exciting, exciting. Romantic, romantic, romantic. One of the most entertaining movies ever made. Period.

That's all from the aisle seat. We'll see you at the movies!

Baack

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 03:37 AM
link   
In no particular order, other than 2001 at the top

2001 A Space Odyssey

Head and shoulders above any movie ever made

Rear Window

The best Hitchcock movie

Monty Python - Life of Brian

Most I've ever laughed watching a movie

Papillon

Beautiful, expansive and entertaining; Excellent acting from Hoffman and McQueen

Grave of the Fireflies

Heartbreaking WWII Japanese animation; Totally changed my attitude towards a lot of things after watching this as a teenager

Has anyone else seen Grave of the Fireflies? Would be interested to hear other peoples opinions on this!

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 03:51 AM
link   
#5 One flew over a cuckoo's nest

#4 Shinning

#3 The game

#2 The Schindler list

#1 Apocalypse now.

runner up was Matrix2, alien1 , seven and some french movies including La haine or The hate

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
#1 Clerks - Its a decent film if you havn't seen it then I suggest you do, Theres also going to be a clersk II coming out soon.

#2 Aliens

#3 the original star wars triology

I'm sure there are also others but I can't really think of them at the moment

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
seven
-scary one

van wilder
-in germany it's called party animals...great movie...reminding me of my old school

signs
-of course
mel g. you got it

pink floyd:the wall
-the best band of all times...nuff' said

war of the worlds
-if you play the scene where tom sings that song ,to his daughter, backwards you will hear :2come to scientology"

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Surprisingly a very funny movie, I didn't expect much from it seeing as how the title just seemed weird at first, but I must say, after watching it... wow, just basing the movie off of the title would be a mistake. Just read a synopsis, it'll tell you all you need to know about how great a movie it is if you haven't seen it already. There might even be one on their site kkbbcasting.com

Trainspotting - This is one of the movies you HAVE to see at least once, your life won't be complete without it. Just watch it, you won't regret it.

I Heart Huckabees - Many of my friends said they didn't like this because it made them think about life too much, which I think is just stupid. (But then again... they aren't that bright.) It's not only funny, it opens up your eyes to some things regarding the relationship we have with eachother and lvies.

Gardenstate - Great movie, enough said.

Da Ali G Movie - Not as great as the shows, but it's still hillarious.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
1.Evil Dead trilogy
2.2001 A Space Odyssey
3.U-Turn
4.JFK
5.One Flew Over Cuckoo's Nest

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Hard to remember all. Here's what comes to mind:

Enemy at the Gate (probably my favorite)
Gladiator
Rocky
Fight Club
Along Came Pauly
Meet the Parents
Lost Boys
Interview With a Vampire
Anchorman
The Outlaw Josie Wales
Tombstone
Jeepers Creepers I & II
Contact

Dang, I have more favorites than I thought and I didn't realize I'm so into violence, lol.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
y'all have already named some of my favorites so let me add a few to the mix:

Fandango. Kevin Costner before he was completely annoying. Hysterical and moving.

Phantasm: (was this said?) This creeped me out as a kid.

The Sentinel. Another childhood fear flick. Nothing to do with the movie that was out a few months back.

Me and Him. A funny movie about a guy who's penis talks to him. The duet is a classic.

Porky's. See the original. It's hysterical and Howard Stern is planning on producing a remake of it.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
hrm.

1) Fight Club.
2) Boondock Saints
3) Ghostbusters
4) Cube (and Cube Zero... hope a twofer is ok)
5) Super Troopers.

and that's that.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Parallelogram
hrm.

1) Fight Club.
2) Boondock Saints
3) Ghostbusters
4) Cube (and Cube Zero... hope a twofer is ok)
5) Super Troopers.

and that's that.

Your not by chance my slpit personality are u? those are great I agree with all but had to make a couple subs.

1)Donnie Darko
2)S.F.W.----reese witherspoon and stephen doref--soundgarden did the score
3)Ghostbusters
4)Fight Club
5)The Burbs--- remember how funny Tom Hanks used to be!!

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Blood Simple by the Coen Brothers. Possibly the best plot ever in a movie. Everything hinges on mistrust and tiny misunderstandings between people. The Coens' first, and for me, still by far their best.

This Is Spinal Tap by Rob Reiner. I'm a musician, what can I say? Possibly more quotables than any other "rockumentary" though I believe the Metallica movie comes hilariously, though unintentionally, close.

The Third Man by Karel Reisz. Orson Welles comes in five minutes from the end and steals the entire film from under the noses of everyone else. Wrote his own speech, too. "Look at the Swiss. Four hundred years of peace and what have they come up with? The cuckoo clock!"

Bob Roberts by Tim Robbins. The director/writer/star turns in an unnerving performance in a movie that hints at the dark underbelly of US politics. Gore Vidal makes a wonderful appearance too, and, like Welles, wrote his own lines.

Kind Hearts And Coronets Quite the most elegant movie about a serial killer ever made.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Legally Blond

Elektra

Catwoman

Batman Forever

Batman and Robin

No, but seriously

Hellraiser 1+2 (originally the same book, so I couunt as 1 movie)

Pink Floyd's The Wall

Aliens

A Clockwork Orange

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
1.Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
2. Snatch/Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (tie)
3. The Big Lebowski
4. The Quiet Man
5. The Princess Bride

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Damn, damn, damn.

I'm not going back to edit my post, but I did miss out

Network by Sidney Lumet. "Just go to your window, get up! Go on, go to your window, throw it open and yell 'I'm mad as hell! I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more!' " How could I have missed this one? More ambitious than Blood Simple, I think it JUST pips it at the post. And...

Hanussen A three-hour subtitled film never went by so fast. The last part of a trilogy by Istvan Szabo, all of which starred Klaus-Maria Brandauer, and each of which examined a pivotal moment of German history through the life of an individual. He is a phenomenal actor who played the best Bond villain ever (in Never Say Never Again). Hanussen is a German soldier in WWI who develops prophetic and psychic powers as he recovers from shell-shock. By the rise of Hitler he is performing psychic feats on stage and becoming known as a prophet, and the Nazis want to co-opt him to promote Hitler's agenda. A stunning exegesis of personal responsibility and the society of inter-war Germany.

And while we're here I have soft spots for so many other movies...

Things To Do In Denver (When You're Dead)
The Falcon and the Snowman (Sean Penn is AWESOME)
Carlito's Way (Sean Penn, again, rocks)
L.A. Confidential
Deep Cover
Mephisto and Colonel Redl (the others in the Istvan Szabo trilogy)
Death in a French Garden
Oh What a Lovely War

It's funny, but although I really like sf films, none of them really make it into the top movies for me, though Aliens, T2:Judgement Day and Batman Begins come close.

Oh, and Sickboy - Kung Fu Hustle rocks! I've seen some amazing chop-socky movies, but can't remember the names of many of them. Jet Li is awesome!

There was one martial arts epic that was very cool in almost the same way as KFH. It was a period piece, and really, really funny. The plot involved some very very cute little hottie who was a princess and a very good fighter, who may also have been sneaking out for some Robin Hood-style wrong-righting... although I may have plot strands confused here. One particularly impressive set-piece involved a competition organised by her father to find a suitable husband. The bride-to-be (who was pretty unhappy about it all) sat in a little room at the top of an enormous bamboo structure that was a cross between a climbing frame and an assault course. Those in competition for her hand had to scale this beautifully designed construction while fighting each other. First one to get to the girl, gets the girl... except that when this pretty revolting guy shows up, she just punches him straight in the face and he falls all the way to the bottom.

Anyone ever seen this movie and can tell me what it is?

[edit on 10-6-2006 by rich23]

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Full Metal Jacket
Ghost in the Shell
Clockwork Orange
Scarface
Reservoir Dogs

[edit on 19-6-2006 by vinrock]

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
5. Blair Witch Project - even this was a movie and not real, it made me cry coz i really pity the 3 characters(and i believed it was real when i watched it for the first time
).
4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - the best HP movie to date.
3. Hostel - gore!!!
2. Constantine - the first of its genre so it should be the best.
1. Silent Hill - the best videogame adaptation movie ever.

Transformers and Spiderman 3 could change two of my list but I should wait for it next year.

[edit on 7/2/06 by VincentValentine]

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   
1 - Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter
It's so crazy and has such a great song at the end. Perfect with Beer

2 - A Matter Of Life And Death
I'm a shameless David Niven fan. I also love powell and pressburger stuff.

3 - Theatre of Blood
I love Vincent Price

4 - Vampire Hunter D
More gayness from me...It was the first Anime I ever watched.

5 - The last Man on Earth
Combines two of my greatest loves: Vampires and Vincent Price.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Rushmore
Magnolia
Mulholland Drive
My Dinner with Andre
The Man Who Wasn't There

This is a list of five of my favorite movies and not necessarily in that order and omits many great movies that I have loved over the years.

[edit on 2006/7/3 by GradyPhilpott]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join