It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghostwriting Rampant in "Christian" Publishing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
It appears many of todays top Christian evangelical types have books out with their names listed as the authors, but these books are actually written by others who would rather remain anonymous. Plus, the books certainly sell better with a fun Christian evangelist listed as the author.

Readers pay exorbitant prices for the books of Christian superstars, never knowing that the volumes are actually written by no-name "ghosts." Among the big names pulling this stunt: Hal Lindsey, Chuck Colson, Jim Bakker, Billy Graham, Oral Roberts, Benny Hinn, John Ankerberg, Hank Hanegraaff, David Jeremiah and Jerry Falwell.”

Are some of the most cherished books in your personal Christian library written by ghostwriters, some of whom may be homosexuals, atheists, and New Agers? Before you answer "no", please read this article very carefully. A tragic and disreputable hoax is being perpetrated on unsuspecting Christians.

source: www.scionofzion.com...

I hate when bad things happen to good people. Imagine all those perfect Born Agains reading books written by homosexuals, atheists and God help us: New Agers!

The Reverend Mel White is a homosexual activist who lives with his male lover, Gary Nixon, in Dallas, Texas. "I am gay, I am proud, and God loves me without reservation," White recently told David Calker, a Los Angeles Times reporter. White, who "pastors" a militantly gay church, is also a writer of many Christian books. But though he's the author, his name doesn't appear on the front covers. Instead, a Christian celebrity's name appears on each of Mel White's books. White is what the book industry fondly calls a "ghostwriter."

And who has this homosexual written books for?:

Homosexual activist Mel White has been an influential, behind-the-scenes ghostwriter for many big name personalities. He's written speeches for Lt. Col. Oliver North. White has also authored at least two of evangelist Jerry Falwell's books, including, unbelievable as it may seem, Falwell's autobiography, Strength for the Journey. Falwell could well afford White's fee to ghostwrite his books. The Moral Majority preacher was given a one million dollar advance by the publisher! The Reverend Mr. White has also been the secret force behind some of Billy Graham's best known books, including Graham's prophetic bestseller, The Approaching Hoofbeats. Indeed, White once even closeted himself in a luxurious condo for weeks with the famed evangelist down in Acapulco, Mexico, writing a book.
However, you'll search in vain to find author Mel White's name on either the cover or the title page of the books he wrote for Billy Graham. Nor is Mel White's name openly connected with Jerry Falwell's books. "It was important," White now reveals, "that Jerry Falwell not be scandalized because his biographer was a queer."

Ghostwriter White also wrote Pat Robertson's book, America's Dates With Destiny but the gay reverend is not the only "ghost" whom the veteran host of TV's The 700 Club has used for his chart topping books. Reportedly, Robertson's recent #l Christian bestseller, The New World Order, was also ghostwritten by a CBN staffer.

He has written books for Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Billy Graham and others. Imagine that. These perfect Born Agains talking constantly about how evil homosexuals are and all the while they pay one to write books that they can pretend they wrote. What a country!!

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Ha Ha,

What a great uncover.

Too bad no-one wants to go near this. Many of the leaders and politicians of this country are nothing more than an image. They have no integrity, honesty, or spirituality. In my homw town they built a church for 33 millions dollars. It holds 8,000 "worshippers ever sunday".

They have converted religion into materialism and no one even notices. Man are they good.

If only we could get some 911 activists with this amount of persuasive ability.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   

What a great uncover.

Too bad no-one wants to go near this.

Thanks...I thought it was a good find too. And, bizarre that no one seems to want to go near it. I guess denial is stronger than the need to know the truth. How much integrity do these "leaders" of the Born Agains need to lack before someone realizes how full of crap they are?

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Interesting Post. Perhapst they are speechless?
It can be hard when seeing something for the first time, and not having any defence.

But there is really no need for defences anyway. No need to be scared or threatened by this information.
Its there for people to see how things happen, and perhaps for them to take away a new lesson.

Gods Peace

dalen

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
This is nothing new. The Gospels which xianity bases its beliefs on were not
written by those who's names they carry today. Thats right Matt, mark, and luke were not the writers names. they were the names attached to the writings
by the scribe that transposed them.

as for John NOWHERE in the text does the writer identify theirself as
"john". the only DIRECT IDENTIFICACION the writer uses is the beloved disiple
or the one loved by Jeshua. These applications can ONLY be associated with and are associated with just two persons. Lazarus ( canonical writings) and
his Sister Mary called Magdalene ( Gnostic writings). A third possibility exists
in a person that is refered to several times in passing but nothing is recorded
(at least as far as I know) of their relationship to and with Jesus. This is of
Course Johanna. Which most can see , the transliteration of names could come from something as simple as a missing piece of parchment.

Johanna>>>>>>>>>>Johann

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Speechless? No.

Just not sure how to respond to this thread appropriately.

The christian authors that are being discussed around the net are in a business, a business of christianity. Just as in a secular business, if the company isn't seen as moving forward then they are seen as moving backward or fading away. To keep moving forward, they hire people to write books or articles for them, most usually using contracts so the legal limit of who said what or who did what can be defined in a legal sense.

This gives the author the look of having his hand in many pies at the same time, so a hypothetical question then could be, "Gee, Chuck Colson has written three books in the last year, I wonder where he finds the time?" "He does X and Y, then I also read he was involved with Z but he still hammered out those books."

Is this issue much different than the President having a team of speechwriters on staff? He didn't write the speech, but he has to sign off on the content of that speech before he presents it to his target audience. Since he didn't write it himself, does that make it not his speech?

There are many books today that are written by ghostwriters (GW's) for several reasons.

Writer's block

Having a good concept but the actual author is inept at writing with clarity

Trying to pack too much into one book, so a GW is hired to split it into separate books, the original author writing the first one, the GW writing the 2nd one.

The author starts the book and then either loses interest in it or has too many irons in the fire to complete it, so the GW is brought in to finish it for him.

Straightening out books that the author refuses to edit. i.e. "I wrote it and that is the way the book will stay" when the publisher thinks that the book will be a non-starter or that it has major flaws in it. The GW is hired to provide an alternate document to the original for comparison.

I have read several blogs written by GW's, and the general consensus was that each one felt as if they were prostituting theirself out for the sake of money with no recognition, but they were trapped because the publisher they work for won't publish an unknown author. So, to get work and bring in money to pay bills, they take on jobs like these to try to further themselves. It ends up being a catch-22 in that they write as a GW to gain experience or recognition but they can't be recognized by the publishing world because they are writing as a GW.

I am not defending the authors that do use GW's to expand their publication base. I am trying to point out that this should not be the shocker that many are proclaiming it to be.

JDub

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I didn't know this. Thanks for the info. Reminds me of Christian conservatives electing Ronald Reagan, a president whose wife consulted with astrologists. Boy, talking about compromising values!

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   

The christian authors that are being discussed around the net are in a business, a business of christianity.

Christianity is a business? That's an interesting way to look at it. I thought it was a religion, a way of life. I don't think it schould be considered a business....if it is, then there is something massively wrong with it!

If Christianity is a business, then what is Jesus....the CEO??

[edit on 9-4-2006 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I agree that it should not be considered a business, but from what I see, it is treated that way.

I have two christian musicians that live near me that are well known, Ray Boltz and Bill Gaither. Gaither has a large recording studio with an attached restaurant and gift shop on the premises. CD's, DVD's, books, bibles, candles, refrigerator magnets, etc. You name it, it is for sale there.

They both use PR people. Both have tour buses. Gaither, if I remember right, has his own personal jet for travel while Boltz borrows a jet at times.

As far as the "CEO" status, I think that is some of why religion in America is in the trouble that it is. Some of the TV evangelists have been questioned about why they drive expensive cars paid for by the church, expensive homes paid for by the church, expensive clothes paid for by the church and their individual replies all added up to, "because I have a standard of living to maintain and I deserve it for what I do."

Thinking back to what I was taught while growing up, that is why Jesus grew angry with the money lenders and businessmen on the steps of the church. They had changed the idea of people going to church into a money-making scheme. He overturned tables and such because the people weren't there to worship, they were there to fleece money out of people right outside the doors of the church.

Yes, I do think that the evangelists and musicians should be able to make some money on the side by selling items to their public, but when that becomes their primary purpose in preaching or singing, that is when there is a problem.

JDub

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
This isn't really a stunt or illegal or anything. Ghost Writers make up a large part of the books published out there. Pretty much assume any book written by a 'famous' person is actually written by a ghost writer.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   
When a person put his name on a publication that he didn't write; that's called lying.

Try this with a dissertation or a Masters thesis and see what happens.

Actually for me it's the hypocrisy exhibited by the Christian "authors"
hiring a gay guy as a GW when they preach antigay sermons. I can't wait to go to a book signing and ask a pointed question infront of a bunch of their followers.

[edit on 9-4-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Studying for a degree is different than someone writing a book. The book is not required to be purchased or read.

The thesis is a required part of a curriculum with rules surrounding it for what is acceptable and what is not.

And still, is it not the person's speech if a corporate president has someone write his speech for him to present at a conference? Or the POTUS to have a staffer write his speech ahead of time for him to read aloud at an event?

It is ironic that we penalize our children in school for having someone else do their work for them, but when they are 18 and join the workforce, we congratulate them for getting their work done most any way possible as long as it is legal and doesn't reflect negatively on the corporation.

JDub

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
It is sad that most of the "Christian" leaders today are simply money hungry liars. They lie to those they teach and they lie to themselves.

They twist the Bible around to say whatever they want it to say so they can make even more money from their "sheep".

My own family has "ministers" in it who are indiferent to what the Bible says. The only goal they have is to make more $$$ and have the house and utilities paid for. And heaven help the poor parishiner who shows up for an unannounced visit!

Jesus was very harsh on the money hungry religious leaders of His day.

These liars are not really "Christians"

new topics

top topics

join