It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virus, Spyware.. Need Help? Here it is

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Thanks chissler, so far so good.

Couldnt believe how much stuff ccleaner got rid of!!

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Thanks for your suggestions, chissler. At this time I am trying to set the Windows 98SE up for a friend who doesn't have extra funds right now to pay for a firewall. Tiny Personal Firewall, 30 day trial then 49 bucks.

I have put AVG, www.cleaner.com, Ad-aware, and spy bot on her computer. At least those should help until she can upgrade to a more recent computer.

Thanks for your prompt help.

Mahree

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Glad I was of some assistance, even if it was only minimal.

There is plenty of free software out there and can serve the needs of the average user. I would never recommend paying for protection, unless you have something on your system that is worth protecting. If you use your computer for business, I would protect it with an adequate program. However, for the average joe, free software gets the job done.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I have lots of spyware on my computer, iv'e use XoftSpySE to search, it won't let me delete all objects, mainly TrustIn bar.

are there any spyware removers i can use??

need help!!

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
There is plenty of information in this thread. You just need to do a little bit of reading. This stuff is over a year old, but the programs are still top notch.

Read about some of the programs I have listed and use them in Safe Mode.

Anything and everything you need is in this thread.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Spybot - Search and Destroy keeps coming up with "Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_Disabled"

It already has the check mark meant to "fix" the problem, and I do. Next time I use Spybot, it's back again. What is it? Why is something that is labeled "Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter" bad? In the past I have read this whole thread so if you have already addressed this problem, just tell me to go back and re-read. You have helped me with my dumb questions in the past, can you please answer this one?

Mahree

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
That is an issue that I was faced with for quite a while. I would get that one, and one that closely resembled it for the firewall. If you get it in a scan, look at the registry key closely and make your way to the source of the problem. You'll probably have to adjust the value of each from 0 to 1, or 1 to 0. I've formatted since and have not had it popping up, but I do remember it.

It never did resolve itself.

While I do appreciate the work that Spybot & Adaware do for free programs, sometimes Spybot doesn't really fix the problems. I always recommend you go into the registry keys yourself and do what needs to be done. If your not comfortable with working in the registry, stay out of there. But if you can, it's worth the shot. And of course it would be more efficient in Safe Mode.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
It's the result of a third-party Security [i.e. Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, etc] software having done so to prevent redundancy ... the same goes for Windows Firewall_disabled.

forums.spybot.info...

The "downside" being that there are Several malicious .programs which will do the same ... in an effort to ensure their activities/propagation.

Personally, if your system seems to be running fine, and this is this only relevant "alert" you're receiving from Spybot, you're probably safe in ignoring such. Although, it should be of concern IF your noticing other peculiar, relevant "alerts" or activities from your Security [Anti] software.

Just my $.02 ... FWIW.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
Just my $.02

$.02 well spent IMO.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Chissler,
12m8keall2c,

Thanks for the info. I do have Norton.

I am not confident enough in my computer abilities to mess with registry.

I did go to link provided by 12m8keall2c. I will pursue those suggestions further.

Many thanks...

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

Originally posted by Merger

BTW, do you know much about this Macintosh using Intel Chips fiasco? Do you know what that means for the OS's for these systems? I'm wondering if the MAC using Windows OS's will allow for further 'spyware' infiltration to get onto the MACS as well as the average PC...

merger

From what I know MAC has been safer in the past when it comes to spyware issues. However running anything that is Microsoft is going to open yourself up to vulnerability. Being the top dog on the market, all hackers are trying to bring them down.

What I have heard, they are trying to make VISTA the most compatible version of windows yet to go with the MAC computers. So hopefully that will cover up any exploit between the MACs running windows that has been uncovered. I've never actually run a MAC myself so my none of my knowledge is first hand and would probably consider myself a noob on it.

[edit on 11-4-2006 by chissler]

the newer macs are based off unix using the bsd kernel and some tid bits from openbsd....meaning that its way more secure than windows

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Hi I am new, My brothers computer after he updated has this Sercurity Toolbar on his IE and can't get ride of it. He also has popups on his task bar saying his computer is infected. any help ?

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Ive tried to download avg free from softpedia 3 times now and it gets to about 3% and then stops and says download complete.Its obviously not complete it just dissapears somewhere.Any ideas???Also where does the partially downloaded stuff go on my comp?

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Azador

Perhaps you should skip softpedia and download directly from AVG

The partial is probably in your temp file.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by J.Topple
Hi I am new, My brothers computer after he updated has this Sercurity Toolbar on his IE and can't get ride of it. He also has popups on his task bar saying his computer is infected. any help ?

Superantispyware free download.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
HELP! I keep getting an error when try to shut down computer - Win 453 error. I do not know what is causing it in order to get rid of it. The virus program I use is Defender Pro. Im not sure if it is a virus or not that is causing this. The other thing is Defender Pro states I have a Trojan.Win32.Startpage.bah. It states cannot quarentine nor delete, what the heck (keeping it clean) did I buy the program for. Any one? I have searched internet and not much help. It states to delete it, but how do I find it (ie what file is it in) so I can delete it. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Hi LAss

Best thing I can recommend is www.superantispyware.com

It sounds cheesy but its the best free or pay anti malware out there.

good luck

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuebor

Thanks, I will give it a try.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Tried the program, didnt fix. ERRR but thanks for help, I was able to clean up some things with it.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I use AVG Free Anti-Spyware, Anti-Virus, and Anti-Rootkit. works wonders for me.

Before, I was always searching for free trials. I forgotten exactly, but from your security center, there is a link to trials for anti-virus protection. I tried OneCare and stumbled upon Windows Defender that way, back when it was Beta, I still have Defender, as it takes up no extra resources that I can tell.

I use PeerGuardian2, just to keep things from communicating with my computer, even if it is harmless. You wouldn't believe the number of UDP, IGMP, HTTP, and TCP hits that come through, even when you are not browsing at all. Be careful, some lists can stop internal communication ... I just allow HTTP while browsing, and block it the rest of the time.

It is amazing the amount of protection and helpful programs are out there for free if you take a little time and look.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join