It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DIY LASIK Eye Surgery?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
df1

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
A company called LASIK@Home is selling a personal laser to perform do it yourself eye surgery for a cost of $99.95 for both eyes. Just enter the your prescription for each eye on the form and they will send you the device calibrated to that prescription.

Is this for real?

Has anybody on ATS has used this device?

Is this something anyone would be comfortable doing?

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Do it yourself laser eye correction?

Hmmm... I think we need some kind of do-it-yourself STUPIDITY correction!!!! :shk:

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
These are your EYES were talking about. would you do open heart surgery at home? would you remove your appendix at home?

This is the nuttiest thing i've heard about in awhile.

I hope its a joke.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Even if it is for real would you put lasers in your own eye?

2 types of lasers, one to cut a flap and one to perform the correction--
without my glasses I can't see well enough to tie my own shoes and I can do my own surgery blind--or will it make me blind

instructions-- don't look at the laser and don't blink-- now how easy is that

I don't even trust the office lasec surgery yet--if it is so good why is it not mandatory for improving vision for driving and such?

what happens if the laser isn't 'tuned' properly and you get worse vison or go blind from not following the proceedure

I wouldn't trust it!

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
A company called LASIK@Home is selling a personal laser to perform do it yourself eye surgery for a cost of $99.95 for both eyes. Just enter the your prescription for each eye on the form and they will send you the device calibrated to that prescription.

Is this for real?

If you buy today, we'll send you...ABSOLUTELY FREE!, the AMAZING

"No Children Left Behind" Home Sterilization Kit!
(Pliers not included)

Another fine Spinning Darwin, Co. product

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I did Google searches on the following:
"Dr. Amir Khadim, M.D., Ph.D."
"Optical Surgeons of America" and
"Manhattan Ophthalmologists Association "

All three link only to the Lasik@home web site.

The "How it Works" page contains this gem:

The Scal-Pal™ is actually two lasers in one! First the Scal-Pal™ femtosecond laser cuts a small flap in the cornea of your eye. Then the excimer laser vaporizes a tiny section of the lens without damaging the surrounding tissue. The whole procedure takes only a few minutes and is virtually painless.*
*This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA.

A ultra short laser and an eximer in a single handheld package? Total, unmitigated BS. Does not exist anywhere.

The "4 easy steps" page must be seen to be believed.

The order page doesn't work for me.

Finally, some of the google ad links look a little suspect.

A hoax through and through.

At least they got one thing right:

IMPORTANT: Do not point any other laser (including laser pointers) at anyone's eye. Do not look directly at any laser.

If it was meant as a joke, I find it to be in poor taste.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by df1

Is this for real?

hhhmmmm i smell a front runner for the darwin awards.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Looking at the WHOIS details for the domain it is registered through one of those proxy services that allows you to avoid registering your realy details on the WHOIS database.
It's also only registered for one year.

The merchandise available through Cafepress appears to be real though

[edit on 6-4-2006 by AgentSmith]

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
Do it yourself laser eye correction?

Hmmm... I think we need some kind of do-it-yourself STUPIDITY correction!!!! :shk:

On that note, I'm going to bed....

Don't you just love people???

Thanks for the good laugh!

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 03:32 AM
link   
LOL
This is Crazy!!!
Also, anyone have any idea as to what it says in the bottom right corner of this image? The part with the silhouette of the couple looking at a helicopter and the Eiffel tower?? Im REALLY curious as to what that says, haha

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 03:49 AM
link   
"Don't blink!" *roflmfao* I love it! This has to be the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time. And that's saying a lot, because I've seen some pretty dumb things.

XL5

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   
That be fun to own a hand held UV laser like that! Even if it did work, no one could ever aim it right and even if another laser could cut a flap, it won't lift that flap (could you?). It would be like the auto store having transmission gears in a bottle. If you've seen the procedure done with real excimer lasers, you would know how involved and yucky it is.

Its probably super bright red/blue LEDs or a infrared laser and will not do a thing except make you see spots. Excimer lasers are big and need alot of power and very bad gasses to work. If a Nd:glass laser could be converted from 1064nm (IR) to 133nm (UV) with no loss, it could do the job and be portable but still not hand held at all.

Its either a hoax, prank or fraud.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 06:47 AM
link   
This just discredits laser eye surgury even more in my opinion. If it worked well with no flaws then everyone would be correcting their eyesight. They fail to mention what the dangers are and the consequences other users have faced after botched laser eye surgury. There’s no point in gambling your eyesight. It's the most important sense to the human body. This is really strange lol

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I had the lasik proceedure done at a cost of $3200 about 10 years ago....had I only found this sooner!!!

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
I think we need some kind of do-it-yourself STUPIDITY correction!!!! :shk:

That line made me laugh uncontrollably...

Unfortunately, there are people out there that will order this thing. So sad.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I'm working on a faux Internet site of my own. Sure to be a crowd pleaser.

I tell you what, though. It wouldn't be too hard to come up with a good home laser hair removal kit. There wouldn't be much more risk to it than some of those nasty chemicals like Nair, which will necrotize your skin if you leave it on two seconds longer than recommended.

Here's the million dollar idea:
Lower level laser that only works on a particular wavelength.
Colored graphite dust to match the color of the laser.
Work the graphite down in and around follicles.
Blast with laser.
Repeat as necessary.

And it has the added advantage of you not having to visit a local laser hair removal joint to get rid of those annoying hairs in particularly "intimate" areas. Like the butt.

Just an idea. Please send me money when you get rich from it. Thank you.

[edit on 7-4-2006 by Enkidu]

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
O come on! This is an obvious spoof. There's a lot more to lasik than just a laser beam.

Read about lasik here

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
my friend had this done and he said it hurts

i have perfect vision though

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I'd be afraid to get it done in the first place even by a professional... I heard a few horror stories of how they lost their sight.

and why is the maker of this thingie wearing glasses?

khadim I ask you, is lasik not good enough for you?

[edit on 7-4-2006 by Lysergic]

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Their website features testimonials from a few of their famous clientele such as.........

and

and

Peace

top topics

<<   2 >>

join