It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bear Problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
A bear walks south for one kilometer, then it walks west for one kilometer, then it walks north for one kilometer and ends up at the same point from which it started.
What color was the bear?

OK. So what's your answer? You don't need to be a rocket scientist to answer this one!

I'll give the answer a little later or it'll spoil the fun!

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
An oldie but goody...

The Bear was white.
And they are also one of the few, that don't "go" in the woods..

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I'm a bit dim so don't get the joke !

Can someone explain it please ??

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Great riddle!

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Yes......please explain it to me too because I feel like Corky.

How does the bear end up back at it's original position again? White? WTF?

Peace

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh
A bear walks south for one kilometer, then it walks west for one kilometer, then it walks north for one kilometer and ends up at the same point from which it started.
What color was the bear?

White, because its a polar bear. Only at the north pole can you walk south, then west, then directly north, and be at the same position.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh............I get it now. I thought there was going to be a funny punch line or something.

Peace

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
AND THEN THE BEAR POOPS ON DE NORTH POLE! LOWLZ LOL LOL!!!one!!1

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4/5/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

White, because its a polar bear. Only at the north pole can you walk south, then west, then directly north, and be at the same position.

Wow! You hit the nail on my head!
OK, so here's the answer with a sketch.

The bear was white because it was a polar bear. The only place on earth where a bear can go south, west and north equal distances and end up where it started is the North Pole.

Actually, the bear could go west two or five kilometers instead of one and it would not make any difference -- the bear would be making a circle around the North Pole. East and West you travel along parallels which are circles equidistant from the poles. North and South you travel along meridians which are circles that cross both the north and the south poles.

P.S. Nygdan, who's is that pretty face in the Avatar? Got an eye for beauty, what?

[edit on 6-4-2006 by mikesingh]

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
FWIW, I only knew the answer because I had heard it before. I wouldn't've explained it perhaps except that the answer was already given in the thread.

The woman in the avatar is Ayesha Dharker, a bollywood actress who was also in Star Wars, she played the character of the Queen after Portman's character is no longer queen.

She was also in the london production of Bombay Dreams, a musical.

top topics

join