It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member name origins

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I make beer and wine at home. We also have a store where we sell beer and wine making supplies. Many of our customers started calling me "The Beer Guy" and it kinda stuck.
I always tell the newbie brewers to call me if they need help with their first batch, so many of them think I'm some kind of "Beer God" which would have been my other choice for a username.
Nice Topic!

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Kurokage is Japanese, meaning Blackshadow.
Ive had a keen interest in Japanese culture for many years and also practiced martial arts for many years.

I have a Younger brother who also got interested in Japanese martial arts a few years ago and he decided to have japanese exchange students, which is great fun!!!

We both have a collection of japanese movies and would enjoy chatting to the students about some of these movies, one of these movies is called "red shadow" which is a sort of ninja comedy (hard to explain!! lol) and is one of our favorites. Well in the movie the ninjas are all called something shadow and at the time my brother and I were also playing first person shooters online together and decided to go with a "ninja" name, my brothers on line name is Onikage meaning demon shadow!

[edit on 1-5-2006 by Kurokage]

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Beer_Guy:
I've noticed your name on many occasions and always thought it had something to do with the capacity of beer you could drink, or your love of drinking beer. I never suspected you may make beer. Just goes to show, how misleading a name can be. Beer God is a good one too. I like that.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Dr is an academic reference, not a medical one

"Doctor Strangelove" was a sinister villain in the "german mad scientist" tradition of science fiction, and one of the key Characters of the eponymous Kubrik film, which mocked the insanity of cold-war MAD-ism.

Howard Philips Lovecraft was a writer of science ficition and horror in the 20's and 30's. While some consider his word sophomoric, it has profoundly shaped the horror genre world-wide.

Strange-love + love-craft = . . . "strange-craft"

I used the name since I began posting on various bulletin boards in the mid 90's. Back then, you had to have a " _ " between all letters in AOL and Yahoo! handles.

I got tired of it years ago, but have posted under that title on so many different boards where I chose to preserve my netanymity, that I continue to use it (and its universal password) for all my non-professional interweb communiques.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

Dr is an academic reference, not a medical one

"Doctor Strangelove" was a sinister villain in the "german mad scientist" tradition of science fiction, and one of the key Characters of the eponymous Kubrik film, which mocked the insanity of cold-war MAD-ism.

Howard Philips Lovecraft was a writer of science ficition and horror in the 20's and 30's. While some consider his word sophomoric, it has profoundly shaped the horror genre world-wide.

Strange-love + love-craft = . . . "strange-craft"

I used the name since I began posting on various bulletin boards in the mid 90's. Back then, you had to have a " _ " between all letters in AOL and Yahoo! handles.

I got tired of it years ago, but have posted under that title on so many different boards where I chose to preserve my netanymity, that I continue to use it (and its universal password) for all my non-professional interweb communiques.

In truth, above post not true at all.

We not academic from texas.

we two sweet worker person ladys having computer access in factory where we work, named "Triumph of Revolution Sock World Factory" in glorious sock city, People's Republic of China.

Hello from workers!

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Given the above statement: Hey dr_strangecraft, how about some special ATS socks for the members?

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 02:40 AM
link   
spacedoubt

Spaced out.

I'm interested in all things space related. And I am a skeptic generally.
so, spacedoubt!

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I was listening to a Lynyrd Skynyrd song Mad Hatter.

Mad Hatter being the nickname for the deceased bass player Leon Wilkeson.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
just search for 'type 93' and you'll know mine...

i arrived at that name because the other two i tried were apparently indexed, as in prohibited by script. the meaning ? there is none, i'm afraid.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
One day, after listening to www.danbern.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Dan Bern, one of my favorite contemporary American folk/rock artists, I began contemplating the lyrics of one of his songs, "King of the World". I realized that the world had plenty of tyrants. It may be a matter of opinion as to who, exactly, is a tyrant among the roster of world leaders but, depending upon your point of view, you shouldn't have too much trouble picking out your "favorites". It struck me that all of the tyrants that came to mind were, well, always consider evil or malevolent. Why did this have to be?

Why were there no "benevolent tyrants"? You know, someone who worked tirelessly, fiercely, tyrannically to bring positive change and decency to his "subjects". Where were all of the leaders who sought to subjugate his people under a reign of all-pervasive freedom, liberty, justice (well, just enough to keep the people happy) and prosperity. I couldn't understand why an evil tyrant would possibly want to rule a population that, for all intents and purposes, would despise their "leader".

This is why I would want to be King of the World -- a benevolent tyrant who worked ceaselessly to make his subjects happy and content -- even if it was against their will! Of course, I'd have a palace, I'm the leader after all, but it would be a tastefully modest palace. Of course I'd have privilege, but I wouldn't Lord it over my people. And, naturally, I'd have my detractors, but I wouldn't kill or imprison them....instead I would put them in charge of "correcting" whatever policy of mine they disagreed with. If they succeeded in genuinely making things better --- sweet -- I'd reward them and, in turn, my people would only come to realize my benevolence even more. There's just that initial purge of suspects that my taint my entry into power and control. Oh well, I'll keep working on that part.

Nevertheless, this is the origin of the benevolent tyrant. Incidentally, I must also point out my carefully planned and orchestrated self-effacing humility. I never capitalize benevolent tyrant. I am simply too humble. Furthermore, I use no avatar. I could not help but notice that almost every tyrant in power always has massive paintings, billboards or statues of their image. To me this is the ultimate mark or sign that you are being controlled by a malevolent tyrant. Thus, no avatar for me for I am the benevolent tyrant.

TextPlease Note: I am the benevolent tyrant....and I am not to be confused with Benevolent Heretic. Although Benevolent Heretic is, most likely, a good and decent person whom I have nothing but the greatest respect. I am not to be confused with her (unless, of course, it means that I get her points). I am the benevolent tyrant, the first benevolent "anything" on ATS.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   
The name Thekherham (Tee kee' rahm) comes from the main character in a science fiction novel I'm writing, "Thekherham: The Autobiography of an Alien".

I liked the name so much I decided to... er, borrow it, lol.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
When i was sighning up i was watching little nicky and when thinking of a name the preist said "WERE ALL GONA DIE!!!" so i used that

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
on another forum board for video games, my name shoud've been kirby.
maybe i was sleepy or drunk(or possibly both) but i misspelled it and changed the 'i' to an 'a'.
in any case, the name stuck, and i've been using it ever since.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Mine is my Star Wars name - it's a combination of my real name, my mom's last name, and where I was born. It's pretty much as good as my actual name in terms of validity.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Semperfortis
Latin for always strong.
Well probably not grammatically correct, but semper is always and fortis is strong.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
So is there anyone out there who has had more than one member name?

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I was police_officer339

They lost me in the change over of the servers

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
PYRO: I've always been fascinated by the mushroom cloud of H-Bombs. I'm also a fire sign - Sagittarius.

TECHNOCRACY: Rule or control by technical experts.

The 23 is a number I fixated on several years ago.

The avatar is a play on Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - Let's just say I love the Doc. (What a stud.)

[edit on 22-5-2006 by Pyrotechnocracy23]

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I got my name from my son his name is...Ares (greek meaning the God of War) and 911 cuz i cldnt think of anyhting else to add to it

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Kid rock gave me my name. Its from the bull god song; a bastardization: da=the, bo=bull, ga=god. Say it right and you'll get the drift. Cheesy, I know, but hey...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join