It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member name origins

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
My Original ATS name, GiantsFan was from me being a Fan of the Baseball team. I only use that over on Sportztawk now.

About two years ago, I figured it was better I get a better fitting name for ATS than a sports name. So I took the name from the villain in the best movie in the world.

SPACEBALLS!!

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Well, like a lot of others here, my mind went into some kind of pressure/spin cycle when it came to choosing a name. I read quite a bit on apocalyptic ideas...I glanced up at 2 rows of books on apocalyptic studies in the bookcase in front of me...and chose apocalypticon.

After I read it on the boards I realized it sounded sort of dramatic, but now I've grown used to it.

Now, if this computer illiterate can just figure out how to put a photo into an avatar, I'll feel more at home.

BTW buckaroo...love your avatar .

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 05:46 AM
link   
ARGGGGG!!

This same subject thread has been done so many times now!

1st one by illmatic 67

2nd by me

3rd ???

4th ???

and so on.

Im trying my best to be nice but please use the search function.

and if you can't figure it out, use the ats google search.

-Jared

[edit - grammer]

[edit on 4-3-2006 by theshadowknows]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by theshadowknows
ARGGGGG!!

This same subject thread has been done so many times now!

Sure the topic has been done before, but there are a lot of new members around now. And this is page 2 of this incarnation, so members want to talk about the subject.

My name comes from my view of the world.
I live in a contant state of anxiety with some paranoia, and I mostly interact with the outside world through computers because I rarely go out.
I think my user name, background colour, and avatar combination makes me fairly recognizable in the ATS threads, so I try not to change it very often.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Cool thread. I often wondered about some of the names.

Gemwolf has been with me for as long as I've been travelling the Internet. It's a combination of Gemini - obviously my star-sign, and Wolf - the most beautiful and misunderstood animal on the planet. In many ways I relate to wolves (not sure why) - and no, in no way connected to werewolves.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   
In my opinion, there is definitely an influencing factor behind some names as well. Some draw you in, some push you away, some are reassuring and some intimidating. Do they satisfy our intentions for them?

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I think mine is pretty self explanatory. I am a female archer.

My hubby and I shoot competitively and have a great time with this hobby. So he always has Archer as part of his online names and I always have Archerette as part of mine.

(Collecting angels is another hobby of mine, so if anybody comes accross a female angel with a bow please let me know so I might use it as a Avitar. THANKS!)

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Mine is obviously the main character from Catch 22. I was reading that book when I joined up with ATS and I thought it would be a cool username.
It's not very feminine and neither is my avatar which always suprises people when they find out I'm a girl. haha.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   
If you could choose another member name now, would you choose the same one? Are you satisfied with your choice? Perhaps there are dual members out there that have already excercised this.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I got told I looked like 'Sickboy' from Trainspotting. That was until the person concerned realised that they were thinking of 'Renton'. However by that time it was too late. The tag was on. I now use it wherever I go, unless it's taken (and it usually is). In that case I try variations, as with my ATS name.....

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
If I used the last posters method to choose my username, I may well be going under the moniker "TomCruise2" or something, as thats the only perosn I've been compared to :shk:

But no, I just made it out of equal parts my School Nickname and a Guerilla who was partial to the occasional Beret and cigar. But can you guess which is which?

[edit on 28-4-2006 by chebob]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I've been playing Everquest On Line for almost 4 years. I play several different characters on several different servers. I've always liked the looks of the darkelf. So to honor the Indigo Brotherhood, I chose darkelf for my member name. Although my avatar is male, I am female.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I originally signed on as TangoFoxtrot, my initials in

The NATO phonetic alphabet:

Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta Echo Foxtrot Golf Hotel India
Juliet Kilo Lima Mike November Oscar Papa Quebec Romeo
Sierra Tango Uniform Victor Whiskey Xray Yankee Zulu

but that seemed like the same old song and dance, and just wasn't FoxtrotBravo enough for me.

So I took advantage of the two member name option and went with Icarus Rising, because I had come up with that name for a skiff I once owned, but didn't use it to name the skiff.

I named the skiff Pile Driver. No, not really. I named the skiff C-Ya, and that is what it did to me. I fell out of it three miles from shore, and it said C-Ya! and took off without me. I wrote a story and posted it to Short Stories on this site about my efforts to get back in my skiff that day.

Anyway, Icarus Rising has always appealed to me because of my affinity for mythology, and the story of Icarus. Other members familiar with the story may think I am on my way up to flame out like Icarus originally did, but I have a different take on the myth. I think Icarus survived his plunge into the sea, like I did mine, and will rise once again into the heavens, hence Icarus Rising. Then JAK made me this super cool avatar, and off I went. In fact I went off a number of times, but I try to keep myself in check these days.

Also, I like the name Icarus, because I take it to mean I care (about) us. It sure beats his dad's name, Daedalus, Dead all us. I always wondered why Daedalus was the one to survive the flight. That's the great thing about myths, if you don't like the ending, you can change it, and who's to say you are wrong?

[edit on 28-4-2006 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
"May I remind you of the exploits of one William Barker of Manchester, in the 1890s Billy cleared a canal 35 feet wide making a running jump, jackknifing into a second, to land perfectly dry on the other side." Misheard quote from Sir Henry At Rawlinson End by Vivian Stanshall

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
my name was a result of half an hours brainstorming about what my email should be:
funny - well....
pom - because i come from mother England and currently live in Australia and POM is what they yell at you in high school.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Mine is quite simple really,

speight is my surname and my nickname and 89 is the year I was born.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Situation Normal All Fouled Up. 7700 is the emergency code that aircraft in distress put into their tranponder to alert air traffic of the emergency.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   
The LS of my SN came from my GF, but my first is my nick, which came from my dad.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by mytym
In a similar fashion to the avatar, the member name of a poster can often give a pre-conceived notion of them, as innaccurate as that may be. What was the reasoning behind choosing the member name you chose? What does it say about you, if anything? Can a relationship between member names indicate a likeness in thinking among the posters? Perhaps it can indicate a dual poster.

1) Im a Lady LOL
2) Im a propagator, the lost and dying breed of media that tells it simple and as they see it after gaining the facts. A friend had a dream years ago I would become a propagator, she was correct.
3) The avatar is a distinctive image of how I see the world around me, perceiving me, colorful and very DiStOrTeD!

[edit on 30-4-2006 by LadyPropag8r]

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I had the same problem suffered by others in this thread. While filling out the registration I drew a blank. I was listening to the Dead Milkmen's album 'Beelzebubba' at the time and voila!

I had always liked the title, that mixture of down-home redneck and ancient god of the Philistines.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join