It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cornershot Rifle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Did a search and didn't see anything on this. ( disregard if already discussed and point me in that direction pls ).

'Corner Shot' Is Proud to Announce the Arrival of the All New 5.56 Corner Shot APR(TM) (Assault Pistol Rifle) for Observing and Engaging Targets from around the Corner - 2006 Shot Show

www.cornershot.com

Any thoughts on this?

I think it may prove invaluable in certain situations, but may be more of a hindrance in others ( more gear to lug around )

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I remember a Older Modle of this being at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds Ordinance Museum In Maryland, it was alot older thoe, from the 1960's, Single Stock barrel, Hand-bent to Shoot around the corners, was made for WW2 Urban Warfare.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I think this has been posted about before.

I also want to note its really just a pistol attached to a stalk with a hinge and a monitor.

Still something you want to have in your bag of tricks, but hardly a long range or superior firepower option.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
and you can only fire a limted number of rounds before the barrel gets fouled up and makes it unsafe.

Much better to have a TV scope mounted on the gun that links to a HUD type system and reach around the corner with your gun.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Just another item from the wayback machine. When I was a kid (many moons ago), I had a book that had a picture of a WWII German 'corner rifle' with a curved barrel and mirror sight. Maybe the fact that you don't see many suggests at their utility? Man would that be a b**** if you had to shoot something that wasn't around the corner! Who would want to carry the thing just for corners?

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
if i remember correctly, the germans invented this idea as an add-on to their MP-40's. i think they dropped the idea after they realized how quickly the barrels became useless from fouling after just a few magazines worth of fire. cool idea, though.

Dirty

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
It just so happens the history channel had an excellent show on this weekend about those whacky german(im german i can say this) death devices they created. The germans developed 2 types of curve barreled models of the mp44 machine gun during WW2. It was made for early tank crews so they could shoot bodies off the tank in all directions. One was a 30degree down barrel and the other was a 90 degree right turn. one problem that actually helped instead of hindered, the bullets would fragment as they slid around the barrel. Since they were intended for close range anyways, it was like hi speed shotgun shells comin at ya.

And as Dirty boots just stated, that caused alot of fouling.

Edited to fix info

[edit on 29-3-2006 by S1LV3R4D0]

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
^ AHA! I saw that show! It was awsome. Those wacky Nazis.

Anyway this whole device is, on closer inspection, a pistol attached to a pivoting head...not as cool as it was at first... X-x; But none the less it should be effective.

[edit on 29-3-2006 by Kacen]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Say whhat if you would like me to unpimp the surface of ze tank. German engineering in the house yhaa!
-sorry, those commercials crack me up. I'll have to try to catch the program on Nazi tech.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Here's the mp44.

collections.iwm.org.uk...

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grailkeeper
Did a search and didn't see anything on this. ( disregard if already discussed and point me in that direction pls ).

Its here www.abovetopsecret.com... well the grenade launcher version any way.

cool idea

[edit on 30-3-2006 by buckaroo]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Hey the rife can normal shoot, mmm so while it is not the first. What is important is that it is the first working one : )

What works works, defective prototypes are worth as much as a vivid imagination.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Yes and if you'd read the rest of the thread you'd realize the germans made this work long ago... But it's really the first example of super speciallized ordnance that is absolutelly and totally WORTHLESS outside of it's one hyper defined niche. As such the entire idea is so craptastic it's unbelievable... and frankly I can't believe we'd be wasting money on such a stupid monstrosity decades after guided weaponry made it obsolete.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
They didn't make it work seeing how the barrels broke after fireing a few clips.

Also they could not shot at something that was strait ahead of them.

But this thing can, if you have looked at, it it clips one way, then the other, then back.

It also has a camera, which gives some degree of presicion to shoting blind down a hall without looking.

While yess guided missiles make good artilery. Some things can't be done with pure artiliery. A large megaton bunkerbusting missile can't preform patrols, precision raids, or used on a room (without blowing up the room, with the building along with it). A occupying/peacekeeping force can't consist purely of missiles.

Might as well try occupying a place purely with walking bombs : )

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I don't think that corner shot rifle concept is as practical as this one (see the guy on the left)

It's a rifle with a camera attached to the sights, and that camera is connected to a scope attached to the eye so you can shoot without exposing yourself. It would be better for aiming since the scope is right up against your eye instead of a screen like on Cornershot. Plus the barrel length is still the full length as opposed to the short bendable cornershot barrel so it retains its accuracy.

This is just what I heard from some other forum, I don't have any articles about this gun so don't quote me on this

[edit on 1-4-2006 by Taishyou]

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
But a problem with this other gun is that the hands would be exposed.

While you can't suffer a leathal hit, it could incatacipate someone, and I doubt any solider would want to lose their fingers (would you?). But I guess that could be solved by puting a mini-sheild around where the hands are.

This other one would be easyer to aim, but the corner shot one still looks cooler. Its like a space gun of some kind you would see in a aliens movie.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Experimental Curved barrel Machine Gun developed from the RPK light machine gun (1960)

Curved barrel machinegun with a 90 deg. barrel curvature. The machine gun was intended to arm tanks, more precisely to protect them in the "dead zone" that cannot be engaged by conventional straight-line machinegun fire. To resolve the problems of disabled or trapped tanks it was decided to mount such machineguns on the turret hatch.The tankmen were not very enthusiastic about it, to say the least. Consequently, the idea to protect tanks by curved barrel machineguns was abandoned and all activity to this effect came to an end.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
That pic looks like a guy who's lost interest.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I wonder for what war this was made for, who verses who?

Thinking about the first gulf war, battles with tanks usualy were fought miles away. Who currerly fights tanks up close, no modern army I can think of.

I am not sure if it would mean a lot to get into the 'safe' zone of a tank. the tank could just run you over, modern tanks can go pretty fast.

And if someone was their what could they do, masturbate for a few seconds, meh. They could use a exposive but they they would need to somehow have a powerfull enough one to take out the tank and yet escape from the blast. If they run away then they get back in range of a machine gun : ) so they are screwed either way.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Oh yea, FYI to this thread and all others. I am trying to get 200 posts so I can join the chatroom, so I might not be allways posting proffesionaly about topics : )

join