It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Books That You Wish were Made Into Films?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 04:13 AM
link   
My single most choice would be "Catcher in the Rye"--even though J.D. Salinger would never allow the film rights of the book to be sold to Hollywood. Well, the man is still alive. And the film has never been made. But I keep on hoping that something could be worked out because I liked the book very much in high school. I would love to see how a director would envision Holden Caufield and his sister Phoebe.

The other one I wish someone would tackle is Hermann Hesse's "Narcissus and Goldmund". I loved that book as well. But, it probably would be difficult to make because it deals with all aspects of relationships.

What books would you wish were made into films?

[edit on 29-3-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I've read quite a few David Eddings books and although they are very similar to Lord of the rings, I would of liked to see this in film format. Especially the Belgaraid series.

Also the "The Master & Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov springs to mind!

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   
The Illuminatus Trilogy - Robert Anton Wilson

The funniest story I have every read... could definitly picture the film but the budget would have to be HUUUUUUUGGE!

I imagine the cost limitation is the reason so many great stories are not developed into film.. probably why the movie industry has taken a downward spiral (with regards to quality) since the 90's.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I'd love to see the Lensman series of books made into a set of movies.

Some Terry Pratchett books would be nice too, but they'd be difficult to get the humour, which often comes in through the narration, into a movie format.

Originally posted by Klepto
The Illuminatus Trilogy - Robert Anton Wilson

That would be interesting, though I haven't read the whole of it. What with the new interest in conspiracy, via National Treasure, Davinci Code, and others, it might be doable.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The Contender was the name of this book I read about 2 years ago. Not sure who wrote it but it was of a little child from the ghetto who had to battle for everything his whole life. He took up boxing as a way of dealing with his problems and became a contender for his area.

But the Contender title had nothing to do with boxing, the theme of the book was his daily battles with his life.

Really was a great book, I think I read it in a day or two. Could not put it down.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I would love to see someone do a movie on Stephen R. Donaldson's Illearth series. I mean Thomas Covenant character has to be one of the most interesting anti-hero that ever has been put forth in any media.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Steven Donaldson (oops...sorry kenshiro2012 !)

or

The Devils Day by James Blish

[edit on 29-3-2006 by Alpha Grey]

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Now that I think of more books that could be made into films, I would love to see William S. Burrough's "Junky" made into a film. I'm sure it would be like "Drugstore Cowboy" (which the author had a cameo role). But, it's a fascinating book and an indictment on fifties' society.

My next choice wouldn't be "exactly" a book...but several biographies were written about President James Buchanan. They would always explore his relationship with Vice Pres. William Rufus King, but stop short of saying whether it was homosexual or not. If a director would take the charge and explore the parameters of this relationship it would highly fascinating. However, it would be controversial because of the division between the historical community whether Buchanan was gay or not. Anyway, I love historical films and this would be great as a period-piece flick. And it would also be definately angering because American people would not like to think that at least one President might have been gay. However, I would like all of these assumptions to be explored.

[edit on 29-3-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
"Flicker" by Theodore Roszak is one of my favorite novels and, I think, would make terrific movie. Brian de Palma would be a great choice for director. For those who haven't read the book, it's about a conspiracy by the Cathars to further their aims through the use of popular cinema, mostly horror films. If you love movies, this is a book you've gotta read. If you're interested in conspiracies, ditto.

I also love to see Alfred Bester's "The Stars My Destination" as a big-budget, high-profile film, directed by James Cameron.

And, of course, "Itchy and Scratchy -- The Motion Picture."
:-)

Baack

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alpha Grey
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Steven Donaldson (oops...sorry kenshiro2012 !)

Great books! I second that! You beat me to it.

Pie

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Well it's not exactly a book, but a Graphic Novel, called Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis. Here is the cast that I would want to see in that movie:

en.wikipedia.org...

Main Characters
Patrick Stewart as Spider Jerusalem
Jim Carry as The Smiler

The Filthy Assitants
Christina Ricci as Yelena Rosini
Denise Richards as Channon Yarrow

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   
How about Laura Stratens - Satans Underground? That should make a pretty interesting movie.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Without Remorse by Tom Clancy. Not your typical Clancy book and very dooable. Has interesting Characters. I would reccommend it, its a good read has a lot of depth. I mean it is being made into a movie now, but I had the thread before I knew about it. But definately read the book, its completely immersive.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Praying For Sleep by Jeffery Deaver. It is a really good book and I think it would make a good movie. Or The Killing Hour by Lisa Gardner. Another good book which I think would be a good movie.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
While not a fan of the novel to film idea, I admit there have been some films that have done the novels justice. John Huston's adaptation of Wise Blood is a great example.

If John Huston or Sam Peckinpah were still alive I would have loved to see a film version of Flannery O'Connor's The Violent Bear It Away (With Huston directing).

The Gypsy's Curse by Harry Crews would be good to see (Either of these 2 directors could have worked with this novel). My God!!! I have just seen on 'Rotten Tomatoes' that this great novel is being made into a film starring Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paradis! I hope they can successfully bring this to the screen, as Crews is not the most politically correct novelist.
Hmmmm.... Contactmusic.com states that Depp will play a gypsy in the film. There are no gypsy's in the novel. Who will play the wonderfully deformed 'Marvin Molar' I wonder?

On the subject of Crews, has anyone seen The Hawk is Dying yet?

Sean Penn apparently owns the film rights to yet another Crews novel: The Knockout Artist.

Well, well, well... Seems I'm gonna have to start going to the cinema again.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The In Death Series by J.D. Robb!!!! Sex, violence, murder, future technology, good plots, if not ravaged by movie 'magic'.

Have to get Angelina Jolie as Mavis Freestone, the exciting care free sexy singer.

Hmmm, WHo to play the main part? Eve Dallas would be a major role, one that would last for a long time, more then 20 books out already! And Roarke, what guy would be hunk enough to play him? Oh to see them on screen, so cool.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Another book I would like to see in film is Anne Rice's The Witching Hour. As interesting as her take on Vampires are, I equally love how she describes the family of witches within her set of books. It is even more interesting when she mixes the world of the witches with ones of the vampires. I just hope that they don't mess up like they did on Queen of the Damned.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Two recent books I've loved would make fine films - History of Love by Nicole Krauss and Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. A google search already produced a (what do you know) director for History of Love - Alfonso Cuaron (HP Prisoner of Azkaban and Y tu Mama Tambien) so should be decent (hopefully).

I'll keep crossing my fingers for Shadow of the Wind.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
Another book I would like to see in film is Anne Rice's The Witching Hour.

Great idea! It's my favorite Anne Rice novel, and would make a way-cool movie if handled correctly.

It's odd. Considering Rice's consistent and huge success as a best-selling author, Hollywood seems to keep her stuff at arm's length. To the best of my knowledge, Interview With The Vampire did very well at the box office, it was another seven years before another of her novels was filmed. For whatever reason, Queen Of The Damned was seemingly tossed off as a low-budget, no-name quickie. As far as I know, none of her other work has been adapted for the screen, and I can't imagine why, unless she herself is the roadblock.

Hell, if I were a Hollywood producer, I'd try to put together a films series featuring the Talamasca; sort of an occult Man From UNCLE-style thriller, only serious in tone. They could even be done independent of any specific titles from The Vampire Chronicles or The Mayfair Witches novels, and I'd bet you they'd make money. Of course, that's just me -- I could be wrong.

But yeah, sign me up for a The Witching Hour movie.

Baack

[edit on 4/29/06 by Baack]

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Tom Clancys Digital Fortress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY.....................that would be awesome.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join