Books That You Wish were Made Into Films?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I got another one, Snow Crash by Neil Stephonson.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Hope this doesn't seem too violence-prone, but I would love to see Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising made into about a 4 hour production. I would ask for Ridley Scott as director...

I read that book not too long after getting out of an Armored Cav unit which was posted on the right flank of the 11th ACR in Germany, so it struck a chord in those sections dealing with the Cav units... . They managed it pretty well with "Hunt for Red October".

Another one would be Old Glory by Jonathan Raban; maybe in some kind of documentary form... .

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Ooh Ooh Ooh! I second that motion. I would love to see that. Cyberpunk would be hard to do well.. well maybe not with cgi these days.. The movie Webmaster (I think..) had some elements from Snow Crash, but the computer graphics were so terrible..

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Oh...Ohhhh THE OLD TESTAMENT!!!

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I think that a movie version of Illuminatus! would be pretty tough to do. If they were going to do anything like justice to the book it would need to be about 48 hours long!

Did anyone know there was actually a theatrical play of the book staged in the UK in the late seventies?

But... I'd like to see Paul Verhoeven make a version of Harry Harrison's The Stainless Steel Rat books.

I'd like to see maybe James Cameron or even Ang Lee try to make Iain M Banks' The Player of Games or, better still, Use of Weapons into a movie.

Who wouldn't like to see Neuromancer made into a movie? Well, actually, me, because I suspect they'd make a hash of it. If it could be done well... as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, cyberpunk is hard. Idoru might work quite well, though - not one of his best, mind you.

Dan Simmons' Hyperion.

A superb book by Ursula K LeGuin called The Lathe Of Heaven.

And Bruce Sterling's Distraction would be so cool.

I just saw some of The Hulk on TV last night and I keep thinking Ang Lee would be my choice to do some of these.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 03:28 AM
link   
i have always wished they would turn clive barkers 'weaveworld' into a film. they could do it so easily with computers and its such an amazing story.

also would like to see the illuminatus trilogy as film. pity that the stage play of it was never recorded - i would have loved to have seen that.

btw... wasnt digital fortress a dan brown book??

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by rich23
Who wouldn't like to see Neuromancer made into a movie? Well, actually, me, because I suspect they'd make a hash of it. If it could be done well... as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, cyberpunk is hard.

actually, this was turned into a film called johnny mnemonic which starred keanu reeves and was really a couple of books botched into one story. it was also where the matrix got some inspiration

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by rich23A superb book by Ursula K LeGuin called The Lathe Of Heaven

Yesssss..... :thumbsup:

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by justyc

Originally posted by rich23
Who wouldn't like to see Neuromancer made into a movie? Well, actually, me, because I suspect they'd make a hash of it. If it could be done well... as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, cyberpunk is hard.

actually, this was turned into a film called johnny mnemonic which starred keanu reeves and was really a couple of books botched into one story. it was also where the matrix got some inspiration

I really liked the short story that the book was based on, but they made a real hash of the movie. And although I only saw about half of it before I canned it, I don't remember any of the actual plot of Neuromancer making it through. I don't even remember if they had the character of Molly (the assassin/bodyguard) in the film.

Tell you what, though, the Artemis Fowl books of Eoin Colfer would be a much hipper alternative to Harry Potter.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I would love to see the Necroscope series written by Brian Lumley turned in to a movie, This is such a great read for any horror/vampire fans out there!!!!

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 02:06 AM
link   
That would be cool. I love vampire books, although my favorites will always be Anne Rice.

However, I would love for any new movies to be made from H.P. Lovecraft's stories. I know that there have been quite a few such as Re-Animator and The Dunwich Horror. However, I would love to see "The Music of Erich Zann", "The Festival" or "The Book".

Also on the Horror/Gothic bend, I would love to see Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The Minister's Veil". I always thought that story was pretty great. Tim Burton would have to shoot the film.

Thomas De Quincey's "Confessions of an English Opium Eater" would also be a great film if someone would want to make it.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Any of HP Lovecrafts books. Don't particularly care which one, either. A movie that follows the plotline of Dracula a bit more closely would truely be cool.

Scifiwise, how about a decent version of Starship Troopers? Use something other than the title of the story? Or, Friday by Robert Heinlein.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Ummm....

Helloooooooo...

Can anyone say the entire Gunslinger/Dark Tower series. Um, not like they're the greatest books EVER WRITTEN or anything...

Oh, and Baak, I'm surprised you didn't call this one first (what with Roland in your avatar). You have forgotten the face of your father.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Yes, I truly do like Heinlein's books. I would love for more films to be made of them. But honestly, I think that Starship Troopers was the only way that Paul Verhoeven could make it. Now if some other director decided to take on the actual translation of the story and make another movie, I would also be truly happy.

I would also like to see the "Dark Tower" series by Stephen King. I think, by far (besides The Stand), those books are the most interesting of his works. I know that it discounts Carrie, The Shining and It amongst others, but really I have been fascinated by those texts over the years. I certainly do wish that someone would take those books on.

I would also like to see Robert Louis Stevenson's "The Suicide Club" made into a movie. I love that story. It goes way up there with Pushkin's "The Queen of Spades". I would also love for more movies to be made from the Horatio Hornblower series as well. I loved those films when they were on A and E because they were so exciting and interesting. Long ago, they spurred on my interest in the Napoleanic Wars. I would beg and plead with the powers that be in tinsel town to make another film from the series of books.

[edit on 5-5-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Any of HP Lovecrafts books. Don't particularly care which one, either.

In The Mouth Of Madness was based on several Lovecraft books apparently, but i havent read any Lovecraft so I couldnt tell you which ones.

Also, someone said Matrix was stolen from neuromancer or johnny mnemonic.. I had heard that the matrix trilogy is part of a much larger series of storys written by some woman who is suing the creaters of the matrix 'cause they stole her story. In addition to that, shes suing over The Terminator because the Terminator is part of the same series of books and is actually part of the matrix storys. Of thats all true, i'd like to read all of her books! It would make one heck of an epic story.

Anyways, I would like to see a new version of Alice in Wonderland! I never played the computer game they made a while ago, but it looked really dark and scary. If they could do a darker version of the tale, with more overt drug use/effects, it would pobably be a really creepy movie.. well, more creepy. Also with live actors. Although im not sure who would play the hookah smoking catipillar or the white rabbit... Oh and they must have the song White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane in the movie!!!

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViolatoR
Also, someone said Matrix was stolen from neuromancer or johnny mnemonic.. I had heard that the matrix trilogy is part of a much larger series of storys written by some woman who is suing the creaters of the matrix 'cause they stole her story. In addition to that, shes suing over The Terminator because the Terminator is part of the same series of books and is actually part of the matrix storys. Of thats all true, i'd like to read all of her books! It would make one heck of an epic story.

mmm, some matrix/neuromancer comparisons here - www.matrix-explained.com...

the woman who sued the wachowski's was called sophia stewart - en.wikipedia.org... and you can some of the evidence via a link on that page.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Being a bit of a romantic here, I would love to see the "Outlander" series done on film. Diana Gabaldon has captured the hearts and imaginations of millions with this series. A little something for all here~ time travel, intrigue,mystery,murder,war,survival and last of all, but not the least...love.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hamburglar
Ummm....

Helloooooooo...

Can anyone say the entire Gunslinger/Dark Tower series. Um, not like they're the greatest books EVER WRITTEN or anything...

Oh, and Baak, I'm surprised you didn't call this one first (what with Roland in your avatar). You have forgotten the face of your father.

No way! Instead, I just figured I'll be like those hard-core Tolkien fans who refused to endorse any LOTR movie that wasn't a page-by-page, verbatim adaptation. I would insist that any Dark Tower film must be shot in real time and be budgeted at a billion dollars.
Besides that, I can't imagine any actor in the part of Roland. Maybe Clint Eastwood when he was in his prime, but that's it.

Thankee sai for noticing, though.

Baack

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Two recomendations- one of which none of you have heard of, but very good.

Tom Clancy is getting a lot of mentions here. I knew there was no way I'd be the first to recommend Red Storm Rising. Awesome book.
I forget characters names because it's been years, but I have a few casting ideas: forgive me if this is a who's who of other Tom Clancy films but the casting is usually pretty good- except for when they stripped Harrison Ford of his duties as Jack Ryan- a character I never particularly liked anyway, with the exception of Clear and Present Danger.

Nick Cage has really got to be the airforce weatherman in Iceland, Sean Connery obviously plays the Russian General who coups at the end (Aleksyev I think???). The guy who played Captain of the Dallas in Red October would be a good captain for the Reuben James. The old guy who played Virgil Earp in Tombstone and Sgt Major Plumley in We Were Soldiers would make a good Supreme Allied Commander EUR.

The other book I'd like to see as a movie doesn't exist yet. It's called the Peanut Butter Phantom Society. A guy I've worked with in a writing workshop is still developing it. It's extremely well developed as a comic, but is having difficulties making the jump to novel form.

In a nutshell, the protagonist was the son of a derranged surgeon. After a very serious car accident, the father cobbled his boy's brain back together Frankenstein-style. The result: William, who is repeatedly escaping from a mental institution run by his father with the help of a childhood sweetheart (Terri, Goddess of Oatmeal and the Criminally Insane) who is now a nurse, continually finds himself being sent by the spirits of those he has recieved brain matter from to protect their loved ones, ranging from pedophiles to college students who "engineer" faces of death recordings.

Talk about one twisted love story- I think it would become an instant cult classic as the lowest grossing movie ever, but a few disturbed individuals, myself included, would love it.

Good luck casting that movie. Christina Ricci wouldn't be a bad Terri though, and Anthony Hopkins could just put his Hannibal Lecter persona back on to be the father.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViolatoR

Originally posted by sardion2000

Ooh Ooh Ooh! I second that motion. I would love to see that. Cyberpunk would be hard to do well.. well maybe not with cgi these days.. The movie Webmaster (I think..) had some elements from Snow Crash, but the computer graphics were so terrible..

Oh, hell yeah. Hard to find actors for some of the parts, though. Any young blond hottie would do for YT I guess but who ya gonna have as Hiro or Raven? My favorite book, it would have to be done right.

I'd like to see the Foundation Trilogy by Azimov but there isn't enough violence, hard action, or primary characters to make it into a movie in this reality.

The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffery would make a good movie or trilogy of them.

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join