It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Are The Worst Movies That You've Seen?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
heres a link about the late great paul naschy, who died in 2009, including a list of all his weird and wonderful horror movies,with all those weird and wonderful titles like, orgy of the dead, fury of the wolfman, the people who own the dark, blue eyes of the broken doll... to name a few..en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 12-9-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

Again, we are in the personal tastes' realm. Yep, Paul Naschy's filmography is ambiguously "weird and wonderful" (may be more "weird" than "wonderful" for me), but he was one of the great exploitation masters of spanish bizarre fantastique in the golden age of spanish cinematic genres in the 60s-70s, and some of his hits were truly original gems. May be significant that the LAST movie in the career of the unforgettable KLAATU, Michael Rennie was one of the first hits of Paul Naschy: "Los Monstruos del Terror" or "Assignment Terror" (aka "Dracula vs Frankenstein", aka "The Man from Ummo", 1970):

www.imdb.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by FEDec

I think you misunderstood though maybe that is my fault due to the context of the thread. I love Kitano and was suggesting his stuff to the guy who said he would never watch a film written, directed and starring the same person. Sorry for not making it clearer that I was suggesting him in a positive way.

Yes, indeed, "to the guy who said he would never watch a film written, directed and starring the same person " may be he doesn't like Orson Welles' stuff neither!!! I understood (I think) the sense of your commentary about an author like Kitano that may be bizarre and a big creative ego-orchestra-man but at the same time a really interesting and even relevant film-maker. From this your commentary on Kitano, I guess you like too Takeshi Miike. I'll suggest a Miike's movie that could bein the category of this thread (or not): ZEBRAMAN

www.youtube.com...

But the Miike's bizarre & smart parody is full of winks and subtexts. Really, for my taste, the WORST movie that I've seen in the last weeks is THIS:

www.youtube.com...

An pretentious intention of making a "Hollywood movie" from very japanese items, finally a very preposterous product, despite the cute CGIs. A pity, because the original Leiji Matsumoto's stuff was really great! But the mainstream hollywood influence about cinematic adaptations on previous comic, cartoon or anime jewels and to "rebuild" that stuff with a gravity and pathos like greek tragedies or Shakespeare's dramas or Dostoievsky's novels or wagnerian operas is simply ridiculous for me.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Leonard Part 6

its a bill cosby film.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
sometimes the really bad movies are'nt bad at all and end up being the really good ones...like the american sci-fi films of the 1950s,one good example being, "invasion of the saucer men"-1957 and the japanese monster movies of the1960s and 1970s that are so bad that i think they're great,the best being "war of the gargantuas"-1966,which is in a class of its own...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

sometimes the really bad movies are'nt bad at all and end up being the really good ones...like the american sci-fi films of the 1950s,one good example being, "invasion of the saucer men"-1957 and the japanese monster movies of the1960s and 1970s that are so bad that i think they're great,the best being "war of the gargantuas"-1966,which is in a class of its own...

Yes, indeed, the concepts about "good" or "bad", "worst" and "best" are very disputable from a variable point of view. Cinematic art, narrative language and original ideas or insights are a curious mix rarely found in the same movie. there are a lot of "unknown" gems or jewels out there in the world wide cinematography and animation.
edit on 13-9-2011 by Inerrancia because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-9-2011 by Inerrancia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

What is "bad" about the 50s scifi classics? In relation with what? Of course, you have layers and layers, texts and subtexts, artisan work and imaginative insights. SFXs? The best of that time. May you make a real comparation between the 1951's "The Day the World Still Stood" and the last remake? You'll see that the original is a true classic, and not only in reference to a defined cinematic genre. A real cinematic jewel. And we can talk a lot about that. And the japanese fantastique-DOOM cinematic production from the 50s, the tokusatsu stuff, is simply AMAZING for every film lover.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
i guess "bad" and "good" are relative to the viewer and how there mind works and the way thay see the world.as far as i'm concerned,"2001:a space odyssey"-1968, is a supreme masterpiece,a mind massaging tour-de-force of sight,sound and color and that film "must" be looked at within the context of when it was made and not unfairly compared to todays computer generated special effects films which most people do and there are people who told me that 2001 was a bore to them and they thought it sucked and i tell them that it went right over their heads and how could they possibly not like the "stargate sequence"? >>> www.youtube.com...
edit on 13-9-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

i guess "bad" and "good" are relative to the viewer and how there mind works and the way thay see the world.as far as i'm concerned,"2001:a space odyssey"-1968, is a supreme masterpiece,a mind massaging tour-de-force of sight,sound and color and that film "must" be looked at within the context of when it was made and not unfairly compared to todays computer generated special effects films which most people do and there are people who told me that 2001 was a bore to them and they thought it sucked and i tell them that it went right over their heads and how could they possibly not like the "stargate sequence"? >>> www.youtube.com...
edit on 13-9-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

But it's like when the people say that they've seen an "old movie" that was in "black and white", like confessing some sort of freak's sin... The canons and cultural references have changed a lot in just some few generations. Yep, Kubrick's 2001 was a mindblowing revelation in technical & intellectual terms, today is almost esoteric archeology for the newcomers from younger generations (people with some difficulty for just "to get" what "The Matrix" was talking about, for example...), and some kind of boring stuff... O tempora, o Mores...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
There are some movies that simply work better in black and white...even modern ones. Imagine Sin City without the black and white emphasis with splashes of color.

Being black and white shouldn't classify a movie as "bad"....

While I get that taste is subjective, I doubt I'll ever find anyone saying "The Stupids" was one of the "good" ones, hehe.....

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

The only thing i learned from this experience was: Never watch a film again when the writer,director and star is the same person

Check out Takeshi Kitano he directs, acts and writes almost everything he has been involved in. I'd suggest: Battle Royal, Zatoichi, Sonatine, Violent cop, Glory to the Filmmaker! and his latest "Outrage".

Thanks.I don't watch Japanese/Asian movies.I have heard about battle royal that it's a great movie and when i'm in the mood i will watch it.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

...Being black and white shouldn't classify a movie as "bad"....

Of course NOT, but for a lot of people a b/w movie is a synonym of "old stuff" and "boring stuff", something almost worst than a really "bad" movie... Fortunately, sometimes the curiosity is stronger than the prejudice, and a lot of people (specially young people) has very nice cinematic surprises giving a chance to some "b/w fossils"

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Of course NOT, but for a lot of people a b/w movie is a synonym of "old stuff" and "boring stuff", something almost worst than a really "bad" movie... Fortunately, sometimes the curiosity is stronger than the prejudice, and a lot of people (specially young people) has very nice cinematic surprises giving a chance to some "b/w fossils"

I think those people are unlikely to want to watch anything unless it is huge hollywood spectacle anyway. I get the same sort of reactions from suggesting foreign films to some folks.

My brother used to be very much this way though more down to laziness than a lack of open mind. After holding him down while watching some classics he will actually give movies more of a chance than I will. We don't get to hang out as much as we used to but lately we've been perusing Kiarostami's stuff. He has come a long way.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Something in art is "good" or "bad" depending of some canonical references (the "classic" stuff, etc). Of course, the times change, so the references. But Goethe said something about the artistic expression that I think it is still valuable (and for the movies too). 1) What you want to express. 2) How you want to express it. 3) What's about the adequacy and equilibrium between the what and the how. 4) Is all that worthwhile?...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Inerrancia

Something in art is "good" or "bad" depending of some canonical references (the "classic" stuff, etc). Of course, the times change, so the references. But Goethe said something about the artistic expression that I think it is still valuable (and for the movies too). 1) What you want to express. 2) How you want to express it. 3) What's about the adequacy and equilibrium between the what and the how. 4) Is all that worthwhile?...

Do I sense a bit of language barrier here? I get the points you are making but you seem to be frequently missing the context of the posts you follow up. I don't think you need to further explain your points either we all got them about 4 posts ago.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Do I sense a bit of language barrier here? I get the points you are making but you seem to be frequently missing the context of the posts you follow up. I don't think you need to further explain your points either we all got them about 4 posts ago.

lol! Yep, may be something of that (my english is limited. I'll try my best!) Sorry for my reiterations.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Mark Harris

really? nah just kidding, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but i loved donnie d... BUT i couldn't make it through s. darko, apparently about his kid sister? anyways, it was terrible www.imdb.com... ... i typically like most any movie, but there are some extremely bad apples out there.. like land of the dead www.imdb.com...
chicago www.imdb.com... , sorry just didn't do it for me, and neither did moulin rouge www.imdb.com... , and i couldn't really get into ledger's last movie either, the imaginarium of dr parnassus www.imdb.com... , although i think he was a fantastic actor, along with j depp, that movie just made little to no sense at all.

oh and gigli... terrible, i won't even waste an imdb link on it... but i did laugh during the 30 minutes or so i watched, because the acting was probably the worst i have ever seen!
edit on 13-9-2011 by schitzoandro because: add sucky movie

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

i absolutely agree... here is an example, although i doubt many would agree, but personally i really like luc besson's imagination... angel-a www.imdb.com... , it was filmed to be a french noir style movie, and i believe they nailed it... wonderful locations, angel-a is super hot, and the movie was quite sexy and had a good meaning... anyways, yes sometimes movies are meant to be black and white, certainly

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
In the movie, "Point Break", there is a scene right at the end where the bad guy is about to ride off into the sunset and die surfing a massive wave rather than go to jail. Keanu Reeves looks him in the eye and says, "Via con Dios".
He is so wooden and the whole film is so contrived that watching it made me feel stupid.

This movie is the cinematic equivalent of bug spray

edit on 13/9/11 by sirenofthedead because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

NACHO LIBRE!!!!!!!! I HATE THAT MOVIE!!!!!

I wasn't even aware anyone could actually watch that movie... I like Jack Black, and I still couldn't watch more than about 15 min of that excrement....

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
There are too many to remember.
Some so bad they verged on the side of comical.
The most recent was Fast 5 (hugely disappointing, it went form cheesy action to just lame)
Splice (we laughed through the whole movie, once we picked up on it being ridiculous)

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join