It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which subjects can we discuss or post?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Hi there. Since i have been a new member (but have been looking at this site for quite a few months), i have seen things that are starting to irritating me specially as a new member.

like i stated before i'm new member and hope not to offense anyone.

the things that are irriating me are that everytime that someone post something, members points things like this: "oh this has been added before", "somebody posted this before", etc...
because of this, i have been reluctant to post anything.
it would be nice as a personal suggestion for the benefit of the ATS board to post a thread with all the subjects that have been thouroughly discussed before.
maybe have a page with all the topics allready talked about so that us newcomers can check and know what we can elaborate on or not.

again i hope this post will be beneficial for the whole board. What do u think ladies and gentleman?

Peace LeMagnifique

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
These problems arise with situations surrounding, John Titor, 9/11.. etc. With a board with such a high number of members, most aspects of these incidents have been discussed. And yeah alot of members get this response from members who have already been their for the discussion.

It can be frustrating as a new member, but look at it from their perspective. How many times can we argue about the same thing? I would say if trying to start a thread and have a good heated discussion, look for something most people have not heard of, or stay up on current events.

As for 9/11 and these other major events, I would just read through and try to find something that possibly has not been touched on.

Creating a thread saying, 9/11.. BUSH KNEW ABOUT IT! or, John Titor is a fake! I mean this has been done countless times, odds are your thread will be closed before it recieves a reply.

ATS really is endless in the threads we have, just explore through and try to find some new information.

I would also say do not be intimidated by someone telling you this has already been done. If it has, oh well.. this is why the mods are here. Close it up, move on and learn from it.

If you have something you want to say.. Let it rip!

Just be sure to follow the T&C

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The search can be your friend:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Thanks Chissler for your Insight. i just thought that would be good idea to have had such a page. oh well

Also thanks Intrepid. yes i already use the search page.

Peace LeMagnifique

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Those things happen to me and i've been around for awhile.

You will be fine. Look around to see current issues on the board before you post and do your searches.

Take care.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
A little bit of research onyour part goes a long way, and saves you the trouble and embarassment of duplicating a thread that already exists.

Been there and done that myself a couple of times.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
The search can be your friend:

There should be a manual on how to work the search. I'm really not that good with it. Usually I'll end up using Google, as I know it's operators better. For example:

+algae +biodiesel site:www.abovetopsecret.com...

JAK

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Or alternately: Jak

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Bold New Look

While some topics have been seemingly "beaten to death", there is always room for more discussion.

The key is providing fresh insights or questions based on fresh sources.

For example, a thread in the Cryptozoology and Mythical Beasts forum titled, "Hey, how about that Bigfoot?" with no new information probably won't go over too well.

But a new thread based on recent news articles like oh, say, "Bigfoot spotted on White House lawn" might raise some eyebrows -- especially if it's President Bush who reported the sighting.

The problem with topic repetition is not that the topic has been discussed before, but that it has been discussed the same way before.

New threads that offer new ways of looking at old topics are likely to be very popular, as long as they really offer something new.

Inspire your fellow members!

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I've had some luck finding threads using the TAGS page. At least a few times nothing showed in the regular search, but the TAGS found the info I needed

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
I've had some luck finding threads using the TAGS page.

With more 25% of the threads now tagged, eventually this will be (IMO) the best way to search for similar topics.

Just keep on posting, LeMagnifique...at least you won't lose points if the search doesn't adequately provide you with the previous relevant threads.
Majic has a good point too...a different take on an old subject is always welcome...'Bigfoot on the Whitehouse Lawn' (hee hee)

But I do understand it's frustrating when that happens...especially if you've put a lot of research into the initial post.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Bold New Look
But a new thread based on recent news articles like oh, say, "Bigfoot spotted on White House lawn" might raise some eyebrows -- especially if it's President Bush who reported the sighting.

Inspire your fellow members!

Oh now there is a Dick Cheney joke in that one Majic. (biting my tongue)

On to the subject. Just yesterday I had to point out to two differant people, who had started threads about the muslim man being tried for converting to christianity, that we already had a very active thread running on the subject. Those are the threads that should be shut down.

On the other hand, If your bringing something new to the table or even bringing up a discussion that has no active threads or hasn't been discussed in awhile then it probably will be allowed to keep going.

This happened to me on the Northwoods thread I started. By the fifth post someone was pointing out that it had been discussed half a dozen times. The last time it was discussed had been over a year ago though and the thread was alowed to run its course.

It's really up to what has been brought to the table, what threads are active or not and the descretion of the mods as to whether a thread will continue or not.

Just something to keep in mind. Hope this helps,

Wupy

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   

the things that are irriating me are that everytime that someone post something, members points things like this: "oh this has been added before", "somebody posted this before", etc...
because of this, i have been reluctant to post anything.
it would be nice as a personal suggestion for the benefit of the ATS board to post a thread with all the subjects that have been thouroughly discussed before.

As the old saying goes..."nothing new under the sun"...

However, if those same people saying "this has been discussed before" would be so kind as to provide a link to some threads...it'd be helpful to all involved, no? Then you could see what else has been said...and both learn and possibly find new things to talk about regarding the subject.

And we're ALL usually guilty of it...

But, just because something's been discussed before, doesn't mean it isn't worthy of continued discussion or insights, etc. So don't be intimidated by it...regardless of what OTHERS have said, you're giving YOUR opinions and viewpoints....and that is exactly why we're all here...to hear the input of others on topics that interest us. Otherwise, we'd all simply talk with ourselves....

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
As the old saying goes..."nothing new under the sun"...

Are you kidding me? ALL OF MY POSTS ARE ORIGINAL!

*marches back to his delusional, but oh so comfortable world...*

[edit on 23-3-2006 by loam]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Rule of Thumb.

If there is an active thread, covering such a topic or one within three months it is wise to comment on that. However, make sure that it is on Topic so as not to cause too many problems. If you feel that a post doesn't cover an area, two easy things to do: Post a new one, contact the Staff or Thread poster and check on it.

If the mods think it is fine to conclude on another thread, even if you've posted they'll ler you know. The majority of the Staff are good at their job and friendly enough as not to warn or ban you for making a mistake.

Odium.

top topics

join