It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming Affecting The World

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
There is alot of people who think global warming will not affect us during our life time. To those of you who still believe that we are crying wolf, take a look at this.

Forest changes linked to global warming

St. Paul, Minn. — Lee Frelich has been studying trees in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness for the past 18 years. In that time the University of Minnesota hardwoods researcher says he's witnessed dramatic changes.

"There is a lot more red maple," says Frelich. "And red maple's a species that normally would not be part of the boreal forest in the Boundary Waters. The climate used to be too cold for red maple."
It's not just Minnesota's mild winters that are helping the red maple. Summers are different too. They've been wetter. Frelich says that's kept wildfires in check, giving the red maple a chance to flourish.

But the red maple's gain is a loss for the native northern pines.

"The pines which were historically the species that dominated the forest there are just not reproducing very well and red maple is," says Frelich. "Pines need fire and jack pine in particular is a cold weather species."

These changes are happening quickly, according to Frelich.

minnesota.publicradio.org...

Nasa confirms global warming impact on ice sheets

Scientists confirm that climate warming is changing how much water remains locked in Earth’s largest storehouse of ice and snow

Previous studies have illustrated incremental losses of ice in parts of the regions but the new survey is the first to inventory the deficit of ice and the addition of new snow across both continents

www.scenta.co.uk... FAArea1=customWidgets.content_view_1

Global warming may kill ground-based astronomy

A Cambridge astronomer has claimed that global warming may do for ground-based astronomy by 2050 - due to a significant increase in cloud cover provoked by expanding aircraft condesation trails, New Scientist reports

he conclusion is simple: "Contrails increase global warming, and global warming helps larger contrails form," Gilmore explains. Indeed, the study demonstrated that the problem is much greater than previously thought, showing that "ground-based telescopes will be worthless by 2050."

Gilmore concludes: "We can only go to the least affected places and try to make governments pass laws to protect these sites. But the future of cheap aeroplane transport and climate change is out of our hands."

The NASA data suggested that "by 2050, average contrail coverage over Europe will be four times higher than at present, or about 4.6 per cent. In the United States, the increase will be 2.6 times current levels, or 3.7 per cent coverage; and in Asia, the increase will be ten times current levels, or 1.2 per cent".

www.theregister.co.uk...

Race to save New Guinea treasures from global warming

LONDON: The unexplored wonders of New Guinea are being destroyed by global warming before scientists have even had a chance to examine the island, researchers say.

The mountainous island has been left virtually untouched by humans, the highlands too difficult for local tribesmen to access.

An almost constant cloud cover over the area means that even satellites have been unable to photograph what lies beneath.

An abundance of unknown flora and fauna as well as tropical glaciers is thought to exist there. Only last week, British researchers at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, revealed the discovery of a new type of palm tree in the Wondiwoi Mountains.

New species of butterfly, frog, bird, plant and a tree kangaroo were found in the Foja mountains last month by the American group Conservation International.

But a US climate scientist, Michael Prentice of Plymouth State University, New Hampshire, has warned that many more of the island's treasures may die out before they are identified.
Writing in New Scientist, Dr Prentice said global warming was happening in the island, shared by Papua New Guinea and Indonesia, 20 times faster than previously thought.

While on the island, he found a series of unpublished meteorological data that showed temperatures have risen by 0.3 degrees every decade. "We have seven or eight good sets covering the period after the early 1970s

smh.com.au... e-to-save-new-guinea-treasures-from-global-warming/2006/03/09/1141701633548.html

Paris panel to discuss glacial conditions at Waterton-Glacier

HELENA A panel meeting in Paris next week plans to discuss concern that human-caused warming of the climate is why glaciers in Glacier National Park are melting.

A dozen organizations last month filed a petition asking the United Nations to declare Glacier in Montana, and the adjacent Waterton Lakes National Park in Canada endangered.

They're concerned about glacial retreat, and its effect on the environment of the parks.

Together the parks are known as Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park, and are covered by a 1995 treaty as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The proposal to have the parks designated a World Heritage Site in Danger is scheduled for discussion at the Paris meeting next Thursday and Friday.

The gathering will be held at the headquarters of the U-N Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.

www.kbzk.com...

Global warming evidence grows: UN expertEvidence that humans are to blame for global warming is rising but governments are doing too little to counter the threat, the head of the UN climate panel said.

Rajendra Pachauri, chairman of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), also said costs of braking climate change in coming decades might be less than forecast in the IPCC's last report in 2001.

"If one looks at just the scientific evidence that's been collected, it's certainly becoming far more compelling. There is no question about it," he told Reuters of research since 2001 into a link between human emissions of greenhouse gases and rising temperatures.

Pachauri was more forthright than at the last UN climate meeting in Montreal, Canada, in December, when he declined to say whether there was clearer scientific evidence that human activities were to blame.

The last IPCC report in 2001 said there was "new and stronger evidence" that gases released by burning fossil fuels in power plants, factories and cars were warming the planet.

Warming may herald catastrophic climate changes such as more heatwaves, droughts, floods and rising sea levels.

The IPCC, grouping research by about 2,000 scientists, will present its next report to the UN next year. The report is the mainstay for environmental policy-making.

www.theage.com.au... bal-warming-evidence-grows-UN-expert/2006/03/07/1141493633480.html

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
The National Academy of Sciences filed a report today that
Global Warming Is Real

Here is the Chart aka (The Proof)

You can read the Full report from The National Academy of Sciences

darwin.nap.edu...

[edit on 23-6-2006 by brykc14]

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 11:56 PM
link   
There is a lot of hubbub about global warming, and I think that people try not to freak out on it to much because there is nothing that can readily been done with it.
Very good thread though.

Here's another thread you can check out:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Does the temp make more CO2 or does the CO2 make more temp ?
Anyways.....looks like I be buying a house boat soon !!! Surfs up DUDE !

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Complete and utter bull#.

See, these charts are -intentionally- (do you support the OMFG NWO ?!?!?!!?!?!?!?1 CONSPIRACY lol) misleading. They start in the 1850's, which is kind of, hmm, a funny coincidence. The coincidence? A couple centuries before, the Earth was at the little climate optimum, when it was about as warm as it is today. Then temperatues fell and the Earth got colder. In the 1800's, especially apparent in a graph that starts in 1850, the Earth began naturally warming again after the mini ice age.

These effects that are being document are a perfectly natural part of the Earth. All things are cyclical. There is no shred of proof whatsoever that humans have a thing to do with the THEORY of "Global Warming" or any of the effects we're observing.

We're not going to die, at least not from this.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Johnmike:

What a pleasant way of providing an opposing view. :shk:

[edit on 23-6-2006 by loam]

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I agree with johnmike, I dont believe in global warming.
Its ignorant to think that. This huge ass blue planet has the
ability to correct any minor changes we measly humans
do to it. Dinosaur farts probably gave off more toxic fumes
then we do.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
imbalanced

You don't believe in global warming, or its cause? Because, if you think the former, then you'd be wrong.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Like Loam..Global warming may not be coming from us, but how anyone can say its not happening is beyond me. Maybe after this seasons hurricanes and dust storms, people may start opening there eyes. A change is a coming.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I beleive the earth is getting warmer but not from us.
sorry bout the cunfusicom. I also think its been much much
hotter......but we werent around with our probes to measure it.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I agree, I believe it has been alot warmer also. Global Warming to me doesnt mean man made, it just means the climate is changing. I believe it is a natural cycle that is coming back around.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by brykc14
Global Warming to me doesnt mean man made, it just means the climate is changing.

And the world discussion better start moving towards how we intend to deal with that! The bickering over 'cause' is eventually going to make us miss the boat, imo.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I meant no insult or offense, so sorry if it appeared that way.

Yes, I believe the Earth is warming, just naturally and part of a harmless cycle that's nothing new.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
I meant no insult or offense, so sorry if it appeared that way.

Fair enough.

Originally posted by Johnmike
...harmless...

I would question that.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 12:47 AM
link   
THe time we really have to worry is when a huge astroid or the sun decides to explode. Global warming is a none event for me. I think it will happen slow enough that people will be able to adjust. Of course, huge ass huricanes and such are kinda hard to adjust to. What I mean is the water level rise.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced
What I mean is the water level rise.

There are a lot of island nations that think otherwise.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I mean the water wont rise overnight, it will take at least a couple of years before the levels get to high. I think if you have the ocean comeing in your bedroom its time to ask
for aid or just move to a large land mass. I realize its difficult, but thats what they have to do if they do not want to win a darwin award.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I'm not adamant on the specifics, but I remember reading with adequate proof that storms now (compared to millenia) are milder than they were. Don't take my word for it, though.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 01:08 AM
link   
The thing that really bugs me and makes me think that this is something we will have to deal with. Doesnt come from any panel or study, I go by what I see personally. And in my lifetime I see a change. The last 2 summers Ive notice a differance in the soil. I have a farm and the soil is really changing. In the past after a good soaking rain the ground would remain moist for a few good weeks. Now after a soaking rain, 2 days later the ground is so dry that it cracks. Over the last 5 winters, Ive seen the snow come as it always does, but instead of remaining on the ground it melts overnight even though it has been below frezzing for weeks, when the snow falls it melts. I am not a scholar nor have I studied the climate. I just know that what I see now is not what it use to be.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I have noticed some strange things too.
When I was a child I rememeber hearing lots and lots of crickets
and bugs during the summer at night. Now...its silent, it almost
sounds like winter when i go outside, only a few peeping frogs.
I remeber I used to get scared because i saw the movie "THEM" (big ants b/w)
and used to think there were giant ants in my back yard. Now there is nothing
just silence. Also havnt seen any lighting bugs. I used to love catching those
things in a jar.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join