It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian UNC student accident actually a terror attack?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
www.forbes.com...

What constitutes a terror attack? Is this a hate crime? Considering the current state of events in the world, I am at a loss for how to feel about this. An UNC Iranian college student plowed an SUV into a crowd of students. His reason, to protest the "Anti Muslim attiude" of Americans.

This makes me wonder if there is more hate breeding in schools than we know. Remember the kid who blew himself up outside the college football game. Never a word about the Syrian roommates or his connection to a local Mosque. It was out of the media in less than a week. No coverage, no hype.

Mohammed Reza Taheri-azar, 22, who graduated in December after studying psychology and philosophy, was in the custody of campus police. They intended to charge him with attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, said police Capt. George Hare.

Taheri-azar called police to surrender and then awaited officers on a street two miles from the campus, authorities said.

The FBI joined the case because Taheri-azar, a native of Iran, "allegedly made statements that he acted to avenge the American treatment of Muslims,"

It has also now been found that he was in a truck he rented earlier in the day. He requested the largest SUV he could rent. A search of his apartment has not released any further information but it is forth coming.

More than half a dozen students were hospitalized and many more injured when he drove a rented SUV into "The Pit", a gathering place of UNC students.

[edit on 6-3-2006 by esdad71]

[edit on 6-3-2006 by esdad71]

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Sounds like a 'lone wolf' attack, as they say, done out of sympathy with a larger cause, but not directed by any organization. I'd expect that if a terror group was going to give up an operative and risk exposing their connections to him, that they'd have him do more than just pull a lizzie grubman

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Fact: He killed/attempted to kill people
Fact: His reason was because they didnt share his belief. After all, what do you think it means when he says "anti Muslim attitude"?

How is this any different than if he walked into the same crowd of people with explosives strapped to his body? His intent and reasoning is the same, the method is meaningless.

This is by all definitions an Islamic Terrorist attack on the west.

[edit on 6-3-2006 by skippytjc]

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I was not really thinking it was part or a larger cell thing, but what if that truck had been filled with explosives. Could have easily been 50 or 60 dead, hundreds wounded. If anything it showed jsut how easy it could occur.

To me however, this was a Anti-American attack and he intended to kill as many as he could for 'our' mistreatment of Islam. He didn't mind the education we gave him, and this is not an easy thing mentally to actaully plan and execute. Anyone can talk the talk, but to go forward and execute something like this worries me. If we attack Iran, I feel reprisal attacks in the US will occur.

I have also said that college or high school football games are a easy target, less security and HUGE crowds.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Fact - 1

"it was a terror attack"

Fact -2 (see fact -1 )

Similar to "Charlie's" attacks in Vietnam the brilliance of modern Islamic terrorist is guys like this "punk" at UNC.

No cost, to the "movement", no training, just action from the obscure reaches..............."Brillinant"

In Vietnam the "kid" shinning your shoes would "cut" your throat as you slept. How long till an "independent" punk kills hundreds.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Hey - I got an Idea;

Lets Ask Private Hudson, shall we?

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Hey - I got an Idea;

Lets Ask Private Hudson, shall we?

Well based on what they found on the planet..........they should have nuked'em from orbit. But alas the "company" would have lost their "atmosphere" machine............

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Thank you for the information on that Souljah. I guess there is nothing here that you can blame on Bush or the CIA so you are lowered to quoting movie sequels.

How about an opinion on why this happened, and if this will be a one off thing or something to worry about? You seem to always be in the mind of the 'rebel'.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71

How about an opinion on why this happened, and if this will be a one off thing or something to worry about? You seem to always be in the mind of the 'rebel'.

Close, he is only a rebel against the USA. He never seems to mention his beloved homeland in any way shape or form when he rants.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
CNN.com is quoting the guy as saying:

"thankful for the opportunity to spread the will of Allah."

So, the "will of Allah" is murder and violence by this Muslims descriptions

Yeah, this was a terror attack. This guy would have used a bomb if he had it, he just used what he had, the will and demented desire is the same.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
This is by all definitions an Islamic Terrorist attack on the west.

Sure. But I am saying its not one organized by internationalist terror organizations. Its a lone wolf act. Many acts of terrorism are lone wolf acts completed by relative lunatics.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Its not a "Terrorist attack". its just a hate crime. He just happens to be muslem so he is labled a terrorist?

If it was some white redneck hick who tried to run over some Blacks would we be calling him a "terrorist" or a racist?

Now, if the guy had bombs in his car, Then he would be a terrorist.

If some Muslem punches some white christian kid because he is white and christian, would we be call that a terrorist attack?

All im saying is, A line has to be drawn between (hate) crimes and terrorist attacks. This was not a terrorist attack, if this is labled a terrorist attack then every single crime that happens can be labled as such. The word "terrorist" shouldnt be used for every "muslem" hate crime.

Dont get me wrong, he should be charged with several counts of attempted murder, but if he wasnt muslem, no one would be calling him a terrorist.

[edit on 6-3-2006 by Tasketo]

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
What if every foreign student in the first world countries was a programmed robot, ready to self destruct on command? Yikes!!

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Don't underestimate the potential impact of a few people who 'dream with their eyes open'. As that latest London Tube bombings showed motivated individuals with no external support can cause carnage.

I suspect this guy didn't have the brains to make explosives (that may say something about the relative standards of our education systems) or it was an unplanned attack.

That's the threat we face now and that's why invading countries as part of the War on Terror is illogical and bound to fail.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
This guy went to my high school in Charlotte with me. I knew his sister, she graduated with me from South Mecklenburg High School 2003 and also went to middle school with me at Quail Hollow Middle School. She lived in my neighborhood. Im not pulling anyones leg either. They litteraly lived down at the end of my culdesac, across a little wooded bridge and into the next culdesac. Nice person, they say her brother was as well, I never met him myself but thats what Ive read in out local papers.

[edit on 3/6/2006 by ludaChris]

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   
What is the difference between a hate crime and a terror attack? The region it occurs in. Palesttinians killing Jews and vice versa are hate crimes, and terror attacks. right?

The Klu Klux Klan creates hate crimes to incite fear, and the bombings of churches would be considered domestic terrorism, right?

This was a deliberate act, by what is described as a good kid from a regular upper middle class neighborhood. He did this act in the name of a cause, a movement and a religion.

Hope this is an isolated event.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
He was just a guy pissed off at the U.S. gov. just like he said.....So he trys to kill anyone near him to prove a point, act of terror or not? doesn't matter they'll throw the book at him anyways.....I would'nt label it as a terrorist attack....I'd label it as someone who's pissed at the U.S. because the U.S. kills his people, period. So he's out for vengence. Nothing complex pretty easy to figure out.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I view this incident more as a hate crime than an act of terrorism. This man is angry about the treatment of Moslems and he committed this crime to assuage his anger.

Unfortunately, someone who is angry enough to do something of this nature will probably never be relieved of his burden. He should be monitored by law enforcement.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Nothing complex, just figure it out huh. So, I guess you agree that this is OK if you are pissed at the government? That you should go out and rent a SUV, and mow down some kids. Point is if this was a white on black crime, or a gay hate attack, it would be plastered on the media stations and people would be furious.

There is no difference between a terror attack and a hate crime. Please show me if there is a difference you can prove other than the words used to describe it.

Now, at his hearing, he had this to say

www.nctimes.com...
A University of North Carolina graduate from Iran, accused of running down nine people on campus to avenge the treatment of Muslims, said at a hearing Monday that he was "thankful for the opportunity to spread the will of Allah."

That sounds alot like a terrorist to me.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   
We are attributing lofty goals and motives to an IDIOT. If his fellow IDIOTS wonder wherefrom comes the supposed 'anti-Muslim' attitudes... they need look no further than actions such as this.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join