It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian UNC student accident actually a terror attack?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Thats because Johnsky, they have a different list, one for terrorists and one for other crimes.

www.fbi.gov...

Thats a lot of Muslim names.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I am a student at UNC-Chapel Hill and have been keeping up with this intensely since the event occured Friday. Luckily for me, I decided to eat my lunch from Alpine Bagel (in the Student Union right next to the pit) in my room instead of sitting on the steps and eating as I usually do.

Mohammed was a Psychology and Philosophy double major here at Carolina. He was the president of the Psychology club on campus at one point. If you speak to anyone who has met him, they will tell you he was an extreme pacifist who was always unnaturally even-tempered.

It was almost eerie just how emotionless this guy was. His 911 call has been publicly released and can be found at the WRAL News website (www.wral.com) by searching the archives. His calmness and surrender is very strange and one can only guess what goes on in his mind as he smirks for the camera when entering and exiting the police vehicles.

His demeanor, to me, appears almost serial-killer like - such tranquil apathy isn't found in normal people.

As far as his religious practices go - they were also erratic, as some of my friends have related to me that he did not pray the way Sunni or Shi'ite Muslims pray, but rather had created his own style of worship. He was never a part of the Muslim Student group on campus and was not present at any of their meetings. To me, it seems like his religious zeal was primarily concocted in his own twisted mind.

The more disturbing news is that Navy SEAL training videos were found in his room, along with an application for a gun permit. God knows what could've happened if this maniac had recieved the license...

To top it all of - he's been arrested in the past (wreckless driving with intent to endanger, ironically). This just solidifies the case that this guy was not in tune mentally and that his actions do not speak on behalf of Muslims around the world and at the UNC campus.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   
My apologies about esdad71's original post, I thought one part of it was speaking about this event when it was speaking about another. Anyways...

As far as terrorism goes, the reluctance to call it terrorism has also sparked debate on campus. It was started by someone known for stirring up the campus though and ended up becoming a large arguement and was eventually dropped.

In my opinion, it would only be fair to wait for the trial and see this guy's true motives. In the case that he is really insane, would it be fair to label it as terrorism? This guy is not following what Islam teaches and it seems to me that he is more dellusional and psychotic than a real fanatic. I do think, however, his actions did incite terror in many people that day, especially those in the pit. Terrorism has become (was always?) a very strong word, however I still think I would label him a terrorist. But it should be made clear that he acted on his ideals, not on Islams.

My concern is that many horrible acts aimed at groups of people committed by non-Muslims are not always labeled terrorism, but whenever a Muslim (or alleged Muslim) commits a crime, they are a terrorist and sworn enemy of all that is not Islam. This creates intolerance and a state of mind against anything Islamic or people who are from the Mid East or South Asia. It is unfair to the majority of Muslims who choose to be peaceful, especially those in the US.

Just as an aside, you should know that there were Muslim students out in the pit that day, and although they were not injured by the attack, they could have just as easily been hit like any of the other students in the pit.

[edit on 8-3-2006 by fatefulone]

[edit on 8-3-2006 by fatefulone]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   

My apologies about esdad71's original post, I thought one part of it was speaking about this event when it was speaking about another. Anyways...

Care to enlighten me about this comment?

www.chapelhillnews.com...

A few kids held a anti terror rally a few days after the attack. What is wrong with this.. The troublemaker you speak of was a student who held a rally, and there was some heated discussion with a fair share of Muslim's who wanted people to know that not every Muslim or Arab looking individual does not have C-4 strapped to his waist. This is good for people to be able to voice opinion and make sure that people are not one-minded. However, you are trying to say that since they are against terrrorism, they are troublemakers?

rdu.news14.com...

Take a look at this guys comments, as he is now admitting that he has been thinking about doing this for a few years. He is also concerned because there were not enough people that he could have run down.

As far as labeling all Muslim violence terrorism, I think you are really trying to blanket too much with too little information. This does not occur. This is why I wanted to know opinion on this, whether this is a terror attack, a hate crime or both according to how peoples views are?

There has also been plenty of domestic terror, going back 100's of years with the Klu Klux Klan. They have been labeled as terrorists in many court cases, so it is not jsut Muslims to get the title. One could even argue that the boston Tea party was the work of 'terrorists'. It is all in how the word is applied.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I only labeled her a "troublemaker" because of what she did earlier on-campus. Please look up Jillian Bandes if you wish, you'll find all her information.

Briefly speaking, she wrote a very controversial article about racial profiling using very strong and subjective language. This itself was not wrong, but she misquoted and took out of context the quotes of many Arab students and even a professor. For doing this, she was sent to Honor Court and fired from her position in the newspaper. This is why I labeled her as such - she has a reputation of stirring up controversy on campus.

About the debate that went on in the pit between the ralliers and the spectators, I remember watching that on TV and the main people arguing were students from the Black Student group and random bystanders who didn't agree with that stance against the college republican ralliers.

As far as terrorism is concerned, I am glad you feel this way, but in the South (NC from my view) people are more conservative than what I am used to. I am not sure what to label this myself, but it does make you question a lot of things. Whatever you coin this as, all of the recent events going on will probably end up skewing your judgements and they should. It's too much to think about...

There's too much hate in this world already.

[edit on 9-3-2006 by fatefulone]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
What exactly do you mean when you say that people arent always as rational down south? I mean being from North Carolina myself with all of my family being from either North or South Carolina I dont quite understand what you mean. In my opionion this incident could be classified as many different types of incidents. No doubt there was political and religious motive in the crime. I can see this as a terrorist incident, but I can also see it as an action of a nut acting on his own. The thing that makes this incident potentially labeled as a terrorist incident is the political and religious motive the perp gave in his statement. Terrorist incidents usually have some kind of political or religious motive to it. I dont think its being overzealous to label it as such.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Shouldn't have used word rational, but rather conservative. This is from personal, limited experience, as I have lived in Cali, NY and NC, and shouldn't be the topic of discussion here.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join