It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian UNC student accident actually a terror attack?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   
By definition this was alone terror attack and should treated as so.

The term terrorism is largely synonymous with "political violence," and refers to a strategy of using coordinated attacks that typically fall within the time, manner of conduct, and place commonly understood as unconventional warfare.

"Terrorist attacks" are usually characterized as "indiscriminate," "targeting of civilians," or executed "with disregard for human life." The term "terrorism" is often used to assert that the political violence of an enemy is immoral, wanton, and unjustified. According to the definition of terrorism typically used by states, academics, counter-terrorism experts, and non-governmental organizations, "terrorists" are actors who don't belong to any recognized armed forces, or who don't adhere to their rules, and who are therefore regarded as "rogue actors".

The term "terrorism" is often used to assert that the violence of an enemy is random, immoral, wanton, and unjustified and to justify violent reprisals.

I don't think I agree that hate crime and terrorist act are the same.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71

There is no difference between a terror attack and a hate crime.

If that's the case then this news .line doesn't make sense:

Hate crime reports up in wake of terrorist attacks

So by your definition, it should be "Terror attack reports up in wake of terrorist attack"

A bit redundant, don't you think?

From what I gather, the following are definitions as set out by the FBI and other law enforcement agencies in the U.S.

Definition of Terrorism -

Terrorism in the United States 1997

The U.S. Code and the FBI define terrorism as "...the unlawful use of force or violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives."

The definition for terrorism is not very clear, even the FBI states in the article above that "there is no single, universally accepted, definition of terrorism."

However, the definition for hate and hate crimes are pretty clear.

Definition of Hate -

Law Enforcement Buletin March 2003

Hate, a complex subject, divides into two general categories: rational and irrational. Unjust acts inspire rational hate. Hatred of a person based on race, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or national origin constitutes irrational hate.

There's a lot more there, I don't feel like re-typing it all over... it's a PDF so I can't simply copy and paste.

Anyway, hate crime as defined by the U.S. Department of Justice -

Bureau of Justice Statistics Special Report: Hate Crime Reported by Victims and Police

As defined here, an ordinary crime becomes a hate crime when offenders choose a victim because of some characteristic -- for example, race, ethnicity, or religion -- and provided evidence that hate prompted them to commit the crime.

You can spin it whatever way you want, but the two are not the same. Not according to your government.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Exactly, according to MY GOVERNMENT
a hate crime has a specific niche in the law world that allows a racial slur to do deemed as a felony.

Personally, I feel that this is a terrorist attack on our country. I just wanted to know others feelings on this issue and if they saw it as a hate crime or a terror attack. Depending on how you look at it and what region of the world you are in, it can be classified either way, right?

I am not trying to spin anything, beachcoma, but your clever way with words is amusing to me. It is exactly what the mainstream media does to deflect information or to draw attention to it with specific word usage.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 07:59 AM
link   

a hate crime has a specific niche in the law world that allows a racial slur to do deemed as a felony.

Don't be ridicules, A racial slur is not a feolny. Its not even a hate crime. I can call names all day long. I may get my a** kicked but I can do it.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Philadelphia
Published on 08-02-2005
Robert Baldwin was charged with felony ethnic intimidation, misdemeanor simple assault and misdemeanor harassment after he allegedly used racial slurs, kicked the back of a black couple's seats in front of him on an airplane, put his bare feet on a .rest, and then put his feet on the couple's armrest.

This is from Tolerance.org. Do a quick google search and it will surprise you how often it occurs and yes, you would probably have a nice fight on your hands. However, this is a politcally correct society in which you can, be charged quite harshly although it is not fair.

Again, I know the dictionary and legal differences of terror and hate crimes, but what truly seperates the 2? Is it only the defintion that is put forth in the US? Are Palestinian/Jewish clashes not hate crimes?

[edit on 7-3-2006 by esdad71]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Hey - I got an Idea;

Lets Ask Private Hudson, shall we?

If we were dealing with this

The I would advise nuking the site from Orbit aswell

FYI Ripley said that first and then it was echoed by Cpl. Hicks.

Private Hudson never said that you would think you would atleast get that right when your trying to make whatever lame point.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   

[1.] Nothing complex, just figure it out huh. So, I guess you agree that this is OK if you are pissed at the government?

[2.] ...There is no difference between a terror attack and a hate crime. Please show me if there is a difference you can prove other than the words used to describe it...

1. I wrote no such thing.

2. I disagree.

Terrorism is an act or acts perpetrated under the umbrella of an ideology (Islam, Catholicism, et al). While hate is involved, the key element is the invocation of the ideology.

A hate crime occurs on a much smaller scale and with less regularity. An ideology is not cited or, if it is, it is not the principle explanation for the behavior.

[edit on 3/7/2006 by Bibliophile]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I would say its an attempted terrorist attack. There is no hate crime, that be like saying Timothy did it in Oklahoma based on hate and not terror.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The Oklahoma City bombing was a domestic terrorist attack. A large number of people died in retribution for the incident at Ruby Ridge, Idaho. The key element is the number of people who died.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
So the key elemental difference between a hate crime and a terror attack is the number of deaths?

This was a terror attack on a college campus Will it be pushed away ushed away just like the Oklahoma University bombing that was covered and hushed up for fear of mass panic.

www.homelandsecurityus.com...
Rift between Local & Federal Authorities Deepens – “Public Not Being Told the Truth”

• HINRICHS did not act alone – had outside help from Middle Eastern Students and Associates
• Bomb contained nails, nuts, and other debris intended to kill or injure many people
• Bomb was to be “remotely detonated”

2 March 2006: There is a deepening rift between some local and federal officials in Norman, Oklahoma- the scene of a large explosion outside of the Oklahoma University football stadium that occurred last October. Following a meeting between the Norman City Council and Norman police officials on Tuesday, the Northeast Intelligence Network heard exclusively from one law enforcement official who is “disgusted that the truth [about the bombing] is being withheld from the public.” This confidential but well-vetted source privately provided new and startling revelations to Doug Hagmann, the director of the Northeast Intelligence Network late yesterday – facts that are in direct opposition to the official public account being provided by the Norman, Oklahoma office of the FBI. “This was a premeditated act of terrorism that involved more than HINRICHS and was supposed to kill and hurt a lot of people. He [HINRICHS] had help from Middle Eastern students and ‘outsiders,’ and gained a lot of instruction from bomb-making plans written in Arabic. They found the Arabic bomb-making plans on his computer. The official version is being covered-up.”

www.normantranscript.com...

These are not isolated events, and they are bieng supressed as not to cause widespread panic. This was a near catastrophy.

Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/3/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I think to determine if this was a terrorist attack, or simply a hate crime we must first be clear on the definition of each. First, 'terrorism' is defined by Webster as "the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion".
A 'hate crime' is said to be "any of various crimes (as assault or defacement of property) when motivated by hostility to the victim as a member of a group (as one based on color, creed, gender, or sexual orientation)".
So we are left with the question of whether this man was trying to scare us into a new lifestyle; or simply revenge? From his quotes released by the media, it sounds like this is simply a anger motivated attack, not an individual attempting to stop college kids from standing around outside and change their lifestyle. He said that he wanted to "punish the government of the United States for their actions around the world". Also, that his attack was meant to "avenge the deaths of Muslims around the world". Both the quotes make me believe he was simply acting out of emotion, and not a "logically" planned terrorist attack. Now this is one sick individual, no doubt...however I don't think he should be tried as a terrorist.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Oh, come on.
This isn't the first time some mentally disturbed nut-job has used a car to run people down. Simply because this one was both a loon and drunk on Islam doesn't make it an act of terrorism, does it?
does this mean that every time a Muslim does something stupid or illegal it is an act of terrorism?

If that be the case, every hold up, every attempted murder or murder, every rape or attempted rape, every assualt, etc., is an act of terrorsim by some group on another group.

Let's put away the HUGE, BROAD brush, shall we?!?

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   
No, we should pull out the fine tooth comb. This is not a broad brush stroke by any means.

This is not an "Arab looking guy" who turns out to be Hindu who drove into a crowd of people purely by accident and hurt a couple of people that was then lynched by the media and labeled into a terrorist.

This man deliberately rented the largest SUV he could, and he drove it into a crowd of college students. When he was captured, he told the officers his "political and religious reasons" for attempting to kill a fair number of people.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I live two blocks down from University Commons, the apartment complex where the attacker lived.

On the day of the attack, there were SWAT team vans and officers all over that place, in addition to a horde of standard police, fire, and medical personnel... they evacuated the apartments for quite some time, and every entrance and exit to the place was closed off, with armed guards on patrol... it was quite a spectacle.

Whatever it was that Taheriazar told the police, they sure as hell took it seriously. As for whether or not this was a bona fide terrorist attack, the overwhelming public opinion around here is an absolute and unabashed 'yes'.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by deano1118
So we are left with the question of whether this man was trying to scare us into a new lifestyle; or simply revenge? From his quotes released by the media, it sounds like this is simply a anger motivated attack, not an individual attempting to stop college kids from standing around outside and change their lifestyle. He said that he wanted to "punish the government of the United States for their actions around the world". Also, that his attack was meant to "avenge the deaths of Muslims around the world". Both the quotes make me believe he was simply acting out of emotion, and not a "logically" planned terrorist attack. Now this is one sick individual, no doubt...however I don't think he should be tried as a terrorist.

That sounds just like what the Al Qaeda leader Osama bin laden said about his actions against America and allies. To "punish" them, "hates" America, etc. To force American govt to stop what its doing. Now what Osama bin laden doing is a hate crime or a terrorist attack?

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
My vote is that this was a terror related Hate crime...

He wanted to instill terror, and he was guilty of hating his victims for their beliefs...

I wont hope that he gets regular prison (due to my beliefs),
but if he does. they can instill some of there beleifs into him... and maybe some other things as well...
'I can only pray that justice is done to those that would willingly hurt innocents.
and moreover... that innocents are protected from the wraith of angry religious fanatics.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I know most of you probably dont care, but this guy lived near me for 5 years. This is just a shock to me that a guy from where I live would do something like this. Heres his picture from my high school year book in 2002.

Mohammed Taheriazar

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Was it actually terrorism?

He was trying to prove some kind of political point by killing innocent people. So it is political violence.

Terrorism is used to make people live in fear, so technically he is a terrorist.

Either way this guy is a nut-case and an obvious danger to society. People like him should be sitting right next to the other terrorists in jail.

I personally suggest the "bubba" treatment...

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
There is no anti-muslim banter going on in this post that I am aware of. Where are you reading this?

Now, you are correct in stating that he is an idiot, but he was dedicated enough to a cause to rent an SUV and drive into a crowd of American college students in the name of Islam.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Anyone been keeping up-to-date on the FBI's most wanted list?

Theres alot of people wanted for "terrorism" and I cant find one of them who is muslim.

Funny thing is, terrorism is often their secondary charge, usually along side something like "burglary", or "rape".

... okay so we now know that terrorism is anything the FBI feels like making it that day... huh... I wonder what day I would have been considered a terrorist.

[EDIT]

Okay, scratch that, I just checked back on the FBI page, and it seems most of the Terrorist labels have been removed...

I guess enough people started asking questions...

[edit on 8-3-2006 by johnsky]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join