It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Jill Carroll's Deadline Passes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The deadline for allied authorities to meet the demands of Jill Carroll's kidnappers has passed. Jill Carroll, 28, a journalist for The Christian Scientist Monitor, was kidnapped January 7th. She was still alive as of February 9th, when a video of her was broadcast by a Kuwaiti television station. Her kidnappers have demanded the release of all women being detained by the US and Iraq. There were also other demands that have not been made public, according this article.

www.comcast.net
Iraqi police conducted raids in search of kidnapped American journalist Jill Carroll, on Sunday, the deadline set by her captors for the United States to meet their demands, but the day passed without word on whether her captors carried out their threat to kill her.

The 28-year-old freelancer for the Christian Science Monitor was kidnapped Jan. 7 in Baghdad and was last seen in a videotape broadcast Feb. 9 by the private Kuwaiti television station Al-Rai.

Station owner Jassem Boudai said then that the kidnappers had set Feb. 26 as the deadline for U.S. and Iraqi authorities to meet their demands or they would kill her.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It may be too much to expect that Carroll is still alive. Kidnappers worldwide must know by now that the US does not negotiate with terrorists. It is sad that our enemies have such little regard for the lives of the innocent, but blood seems to be what they want and they get it as they can. We haven't seen any beheading videos for some time. Muslims have been known not to treat women captives less harshly than they do men, so we can at least hope that she has not or will not suffer in her death.

Related News Links:
www.chron.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2006/2/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I fear for this young woman and have prayed for her release.

I don't think there will be a good ending to this, mainly because the group that has her is either new or relatively unknown.

Since they didn't get what they wanted, their thinking will be they have to follow through and make good their threat otherwise no one will take them seriously now or later.

I hope I'm wrong.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Yet another casualty. It's a shame really. Decency doesn't exist in that country. They obviously don't have the balls to capture army folk, so they capture civilians cause they are a soft target. The folk who does this will get what they deserve. In this life or the next? I'm not sure. But it's gonna hurt...

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   
If I am not mistaken, isn't this her second deadline?

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Indeed it was her second deadline...

I think her captors have figured out, that they can't really go thru with their promise of killing her. She has been proven to be a ally to them in their cause of being heard... her death would be heavily condemed by the very groups these terrorists claim support of...

In other words... it would have been about the same, for them take any iraqi woman hostage...

At least we can hope they are seeing the picture...
at this point, a much better plan would be to "release her with the mercy of allah" and win good faith, rather than universal condemnation of killing her.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
This is her second deadline and i hope and pray she's still alive. I feel very sorry for her family and friends.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Iraqi Official: Jill Carroll Is Alive

Feb. 27, 2006 — A top Iraqi official tells ABC News that he believes Jill Carroll is alive and that he believes she will be released, even though the latest deadline for the kidnapped journalist has passed with no news of her fate.

CARROLL IS ALIVE

Iraqis optimistic on kidnapped US reporter: US amb

Looks like some are still indicating she is alive. Makes me wonder what these nuts think they have gained by kidnapping an aid worker that was helping them. Shot their own foot off imo.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
This poor girl...I have been praying for her return. Unfortunately, in that area it is always a risk of doing work there. Regardless of what the circumstances. From what it seems, they view us nothing more as bargaining chips. I fear she may never be returned. This came about after the women prisoners were released. They got what they wanted, and still they refuse to release her. The problem is media coverage has this upgraded, and they realize she is a valuable pawn. Theoretically, if we never reacted to her being taken hostage in the first place,
What power would they have? They are using fear against us to try and get what they want. Supposed we acted like we didn't give a doodle, they would have no power. I would also put alot of stake into the fact that the kidnappings and beheadings may settle down some.

A wise Tao saying is If you always care what people think, you will always be imprisoned by them.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I posted on this subject this morning on the WWIII thread. Worth a look. Here is the printer friendly link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think because she will become a galvanizing point for the West to finally get serious about these animals.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Makes me think that this is just rhetoric.

How many deadlines will pass and then a day later they come back on TV again "this time we REALLY will kill her".

I think the issue here is that once this ragtag group of idiots kills Ms. Carroll, they have nothing left to threaten with. No bargaining chip equals no bargain. I doubt she'll be killed any time soon.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher

...an aid worker that was helping them.

"Jill Carroll, 28, a journalist for The Christian Scientist Monitor" ... a freelancer at that.

Excuse me, Regenmacher. Where do you get 'aid worker'? Do you know something we don't?

Is the CSM disguising their christian aid workers as journalists? That's a sure way to get a muslim's turban in a bunch. Especially if she's doing any convert work.

This is reminding me of the Italian journalist who was being held by kidnappers last year. Aside from official negotiations, does the military have any operational rescue efforts underway for the girl?

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Psyopswatcher, if you don't consider her writing about the Iraqi's plight and her working with other aid agencies and aid personal to get their messages out, then you wouldn't consider her an aid worker or humanitarian.

My bad then in regards to semantics, as I was looking beyond her job title.

Irony - Iraq's rising industry: domestic kidnapping by Jill Carroll April 22, 2005

freelancer: An uncommitted independent, as in politics or social life.

humanitarian: One who is devoted to the promotion of human welfare and the advancement of social reforms; a philanthropist.

Carroll works (we will use present tense) as a steadily employed free-lancer for the Christian Science Monitor, a newspaper that over generations has been respected for its thoughtful and measured reporting of international affairs. Carroll was attempting to inform a global audience about the afflictions suffered by the Iraqi people, and she had a reputation for doing that work without fear or favor.

So, Jill Carroll was not foolhardy. She answered the call of the brave. Idealists, people of generous spirit and brave nature do this work because they believe it serves a higher purpose.

They want to feed or comfort the afflicted. They want to be peacemakers. They want the world to have a full and fair report of the sufferings of others. And for this there is great risk, and for this the thankless reward is that the ultimate price of that pure intention might be a horrifying death. The military who are serving in Iraq should be respected for the work they do, trying to restore sufficient safety so the unicorns will no longer be hunted and killed.
source

Mourning Marla by Jill Carroll

I first met her in Jordan, just before the war. A reporter friend told me that I should get to know this young activist who made a name for herself working for Global Exchange, the US organization that sent field workers to Afghanistan to count civilian casualties.

After the Iraq war, she moved her push for an accurate count of civilian casualties to Baghdad. At a time when the International Committee of the Red Cross and United Nations were leaving Iraq, Marla started the Campaign for Innocent Victims in Conflict. Through that, she helped Iraqi families navigate the process of claiming compensation from the US military for injuries and deaths.

Later in the fall of 2003 when I moved here and was despairing of my sputtering freelance work she would always say, "Jill, good for you. You're working so hard. I'm so proud of you." She was the eternal supportive cheerleader. One night she slipped a note in my hotel mailbox. It was a small essay of encouragement and praise from out of the blue, scribbled in black ink on a scrap of notebook paper.

Let's not forget they put a bullet in the head of humanitarian Margaret Hassan.

Obviously the kidnapping terrorists can't distinguish differences between humanitarians and the enemy either. Perhaps they see all Westerners as wage slaves that worship mammon.

[edit on 28-2-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I think it's a stretch to call Carroll an aid worker, regardless of her personal philosophy. I see no reason to describe her work as something other than it was. The crime against her is just as heinous either way. She did not deserve her fate.

[edit on 2006/2/27 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Margaret Hussan may have been the reason I didn't like seeing Jill characterized as an aid worker--for fear of her having the same fate.

Or Marla's, who was an aid-worker -- and the Iraqi's Jill writes of:

Last April 18, for example, Jill Carroll published an account of the death of an American aid worker, a report much noted last week because of similarities to her own situation.

Marla Ruzicka was a Californian, attached to an NGO, attending to the needs of desperate Iraqis. She and her driver were killed when they were caught in a crossfire between a suicidal insurgent and US soldiers. Marla Ruzicka was Jill Carroll's friend, and her story is infused with grief. But the story also takes careful note of Ruzicka's driver, who, in Carroll's account, is no mere anonymous Iraqi functionary, another unnamed fatality. Carroll gives his name, Faiz, hints at his history as an airline pilot, and establishes her own connection with him by noting his work as an interpreter for journalists. To Jill Carroll, the death of this Iraqi man weighed as much as the death of her American friend.

"...its drama, whatever the conclusion, puts a human face on a tragedy that is inevitably abstract for those at some remove."

On Reporters:

Except for them, the world public would depend on the manipulations of interested parties, from the ''coalition" to the Iraqi government to networks of thugs, for all of whom the distinction between propaganda and news matters little.
... Reckoning with this war is the most urgent duty of US citizenship now, and Jill Carroll epitomizes the heroism of those who make that possible.

The Human Face of Tragedy
by James Carroll

February 11, 2006 · The kidnappers of American journalist Jill Carroll have set a new deadline for authorities to comply with unpublished demands. Any response to a kidnapping forces good people to choose between their pain and their conscience.

Simon Says

The way I heard it, the kidnappers want the Iraqi female prisoners released for her life. Yet Simon says 'unpublished demands"? What's NPR saying again??? And that's the 'biased liberal media'? huh?

top topics

join